Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Point of no return - a spoiler sensitive guide to get the best ending in The Witcher 3

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

The Witcher 3 has more than one possible ending, although each ending changes depending on your other accomplishments and choices. This thread is meant to be a guide that allows players to reach the conclusion that they would prefer, while remaining as vague as possible with the exact details.

What this will vaguely spoil: Near the beginning of the game, you find out that you're looking for two women, and you're asked by a powerful character to bring one in particular to meet him. Once you've at least reached the part where you learn about this, the only main spoilers will be quest names--which are also thankfully vague--if you ever find one or both women, and if that powerful character is ever given the chance to meet them. You will also learn the names of your two primary romance options, when the point of no return is, and a rough idea of how much of the game is left at that point.

I thought this might be useful for those who haven't finished the game yet, because the determining factors that decide which ending you get are kind of subjective, and you could possibly pick too many of the wrong choices if you're not careful.

Spoiler text will go into more detail to make required choices a bit more clear, but will still attempt to not ruin the story. Still, I suggest only reading spoilers if you don't understand and require more detail.

At a certain point in the game, you will be prompted to save your game, and told that it's the point of no return. This is true, but only for certain quests and ending alterations. Choices made that affect which conclusion you eventually reach do not occur until shortly after the start of the quest "Blood on the Battlefield." It's important to note that at this point you will still have several more hours of gameplay until you reach the end, but save your game at the start of this quest just in case.

You'll be on a mountain and looking at a large fire.

From this point on, you will eventually make five choices that determine the ending of the game. All five choices have to do with the character Ciri, and she will be present for all of them.

#1 - In the quest "Blood on the Battlefield," Ciri should be cheered up, instead of being told not to worry.

After the battle, attempt to lift her spirits, instead of telling her that she doesn't have to be good at everything.

#2a - In the quest "Blood on the Battlefield," you're faced with a choice unlike the rest. There is arguably no strict "good" or "bad" choice here, only a personal preference. There's also no way to be vague about it, but it's something that has been talked about since the beginning of the game. Do you go directly to your destination, or do you take a detour?

If you view Geralt as Ciri's father figure, and the Emperor as someone who should be avoided, do not take Ciri to see the emperor. If you view the Emperor as Ciri's father, and believe that he should have a strong influence in her life, take Ciri to see the emperor.

#2b - If you do decide to go, remember that you brought Ciri there for her, not for you.

Do not take the reward.

#3 - In the quest "Final Preparations," Ciri doesn't need you to speak for her. Give her some space, and show that you have confidence in her.

Let Ciri speak to the sorceresses alone.

#4 - In the quest "Child of the Elder Blood," Ciri should be encouraged to vent her frustration, instead of being encouraged to remain calm.

Tell her "go for it," not "calm down."

#5 - In the quest "Child of the Elder Blood," Ciri should be allowed to mourn, instead of being told that there's no time.

Be sure to visit her friend's grave.

Other things to keep in mind:

Any and all secondary quests given to you by people Geralt seems to know should be completed as they are presented. Many of them determine your relationship with these characters, and what happens to them. Most are also as well-written and designed as the other major quests.

The only true side quests in the game are related to contracts, fistfights, horseraces, and random people saying "I heard you're a Witcher. Can you help me?"

The quest "Now or Never" should be completed immediately after it becomes available. Do not do any other quests until it's finished.

If you're interested in pursuing a romantic relationship, pick a love interest and stick with her. Just know that you can't keep your options open until the end.

During the quest "Last Wish," if you're in a relationship with Triss, you must breakup with Yennefer in order to remain in a relationship.

To pursue a relationship with Triss:

Kiss her when you have the chance, immediately help her with the "Now or Never" quest, and tell her that you love her during that quest.

To pursue a relationship with Yennefer:

Kiss her when you have the chance, and tell her that you love her during the quest "Last Wish."

If you want the dark / sad ending, do the opposite for the five decisions. Better yet, just look it up on You Tube after you finish the game with a good ending.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

thanks man this is helpful, haven't even started this one yet.

I kinda hate games with several endings because more often than not all you get are very subjective choices, specially in a game like this where everything is supposed to be in the gray area, so there's no real right or wrong, then after spending like 80 hours with the fucking thing you end up getting a shitty ending for no good reason.

I barely have the time to play a game like this as is, so I definitely do not have the time for several playthroughs that's for sure...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Shorter version: Basically, treat Ciri as an independent adult and not a complete child and don't be a total dick and do sidequests.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Really?

People want to game the systems to just get a satisfactory ending instead of just playing and doing the choices in game?

Weird.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@believer258 said:

Shorter version: Basically, treat Ciri as an independent adult and not a complete child and don't be a total dick and do sidequests.

Not really. Like everything else about the Witcher, there's a lot of gray area. I can easily see someone messing up two or three of these choices, especially one and four. I missed number three in my first playthrough, because I felt like I should go with Ciri to support her. This is even more the case because Ciri comes to you to ask your help with the situation. "You'll be fine on your own," just struck me as turning down her request for support. I also missed number four, because throwing a tantrum in the middle of a frustrating situation struck me as the least adult response possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.