Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Previous games necessary?

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, after all the buzz, just about everywhere, i am interested in playing The Witcher 3. My only concern is i like to play previous games to have some sort of the story in the back of my mind to enjoy these ones more. In my steam library i have both the first and second games, and i tried the first one. After about 2 hours i just couldn't do it. it seemed so clunky and odd, and something just wasnt right with me, but the third from what i understand, is more similar to the second. So before i go and spend my money on 3, i would like to possibly play 2 since i have it.

Is it bad if i skip one and go to the witcher 2, or even just to go to three?

and if i do skip 1, does 2 have a decent enough story, or something to make me feel like i can understand what i missed from the first so i can come into 3 a bit more interested???

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't play 1 or 2 or read any of the back story before playing and it's easily my GOTY.

birdvsplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I entered the series with W3. While my eyes glazed a bit when characters discussed events of previous games or made references that seemed important but meant nothing to me, I felt the lore was mostly easy to access and approachable.

Having completed it, I'd recommend getting some background on the love interests if completing one of those stories matters to you. Would have done things differently on my run had I had a little more context.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

You can totally play 2 without having played 1, or 3 without having played either, so don't worry!

Obviously things connect but it is no where near being what I would call "necessary".

W2 does a great job of explaining the end of W1 also. Originally I did the same thing as you, tried W1 but couldn't do it. I really liked Witcher 2 though so went back to the first after playing it and I'd say as an RPG it is really damn amazing, I like it much more (storywise) than Witcher 2. In terms of quests and writing quality Witcher 3 and 1 are much more similar versus 2, but I love em all, so I don't think you can go wrong.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Witcher series isn't really strong on carrying over meaningful choices from the past games, so the "build your own save" dialog sequence at the beginning of the game is enough to get you by. I felt like I could appreciate the world more and some sequences because I played 2, but I wouldn't say it is necessary.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nah. The game is shockingly good at helping you absorb the information you need to understand the world. Even if, like me, you haven't played a minute of the previous installments.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You don't have to play Witcher 2 before playing 3, but I'd strongly recommend it. You'll be more attached and interested in certain characters and events and yoi'll have better context for the world.

I didn't play much of the first Witcher and I haven't read any of the books.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.