The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt is Really, Really Big

• 148 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3393 posts) -

If The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt truly is the last Witcher game, the series is going out with a bang.

The latest entry was formally announced this morning, and promises to expand the series’ scope far beyond the previous games. The Witcher already played with non-linear storytelling by giving players agency over certain pivots in the story that drastically changed the outcome, but The Witcher 3 moves that a step further with a completely open world, a la The Elder Scrolls.

In terms of nuts and bolts, developer CD Projekt RED claims The Witcher 3 is 30 times the size of The Witcher 2, and is powered by the studio’s brand-new REDengine 3 technology.

As previously mentioned, CD Projekt RED is also claiming this will be the last Witcher game.

“We believe that we should end the series on a high note,” said studio head Adam Badowski. “Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined.”

We won’t be playing The Witcher 3 until sometime in 2014, and it’s being developed for both PCs and other “high-end platforms,” which is a not-so-subtle nod to the upcoming set of new consoles.

In case you haven’t played the other games, CD Projekt RED said it’s designing The Witcher 3 to be newcomer friendly. I found The Witcher 2 easy enough to get into, having not played the original. If you haven’t played either, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition are 50% off on both Good Old Games and Steam for the next 72 hours. The Xbox 360 version is also now permanently $29.99.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3393 posts) -

If The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt truly is the last Witcher game, the series is going out with a bang.

The latest entry was formally announced this morning, and promises to expand the series’ scope far beyond the previous games. The Witcher already played with non-linear storytelling by giving players agency over certain pivots in the story that drastically changed the outcome, but The Witcher 3 moves that a step further with a completely open world, a la The Elder Scrolls.

In terms of nuts and bolts, developer CD Projekt RED claims The Witcher 3 is 30 times the size of The Witcher 2, and is powered by the studio’s brand-new REDengine 3 technology.

As previously mentioned, CD Projekt RED is also claiming this will be the last Witcher game.

“We believe that we should end the series on a high note,” said studio head Adam Badowski. “Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined.”

We won’t be playing The Witcher 3 until sometime in 2014, and it’s being developed for both PCs and other “high-end platforms,” which is a not-so-subtle nod to the upcoming set of new consoles.

In case you haven’t played the other games, CD Projekt RED said it’s designing The Witcher 3 to be newcomer friendly. I found The Witcher 2 easy enough to get into, having not played the original. If you haven’t played either, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition are 50% off on both Good Old Games and Steam for the next 72 hours. The Xbox 360 version is also now permanently $29.99.

Staff
#2 Posted by WILS2797 (10 posts) -

Sussex

#3 Posted by Esposito426 (9 posts) -

awesome!

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Can't wait to see what this looks like. CDProjekt have the best looking game out right now with an engine that runs fantastic on such a wide range of hardware.

#5 Posted by JusticeJanitor (143 posts) -

I'm looking forward to this. The Witcher 2 is one of my favorite games.

#6 Posted by loyalroyal1989 (43 posts) -

Dam now I really do need to play the first two.

#7 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -

"with the visuals we want"

Are they saying that the Witcher 2 fell below expectations visually? Holy shit

#8 Edited by MeatSim (10737 posts) -

I am all for a bigger Witcher game, It seems like a world that's worth exploring.

#9 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

aw crap, i still haven't finished Witcher 1 yet.

#10 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

Good. Much as I love them, Bethesda really needs some big competition in the open world fantasy RPG genre and this'll bring that in spades.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10347 posts) -

I cannot wait for this game! SO EXCITED!

#12 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

While I'm an immensely rabid fan of the series, I always found quantitative pitches like this a bit wonky. 30 times larger doesn't mean or tell me anything other than "boy I hope they pull this off" which I'm sure is more relevant and close to home for them than for anyone.

They've got two amazing games under their belt and two new opportunities with Cyberpunk 2077 and now this, I'm really hoping they can nail the Witcher as a trilogy and show they can branch out of that aesthetic all at the same time.

#13 Edited by Hef (1094 posts) -

"Witcher 3 is 30 times the size of The Witcher 2"

And that game was damn near 20gb.

Oh god. I know he probably wasn't talking about raw size, but still, that's going to be a big ass game.

2014 is so far away...

#14 Posted by phuzzybunny (171 posts) -

Time to get past chapter 4 in the witcher 1 so I can finally install 2 and get ready for 3! I should have a proper gaming rig by the time I'm ready for 2.

#15 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

You're the man, man, but please never use ala before the word the ever again. Just hurts to read. Doesn't it mean like the already? Ala Elder Scrolls rolls much nicer. :)

With that out of the way...

FUCK. YES.

Witchers.

CDPR is a phenomenal developer in terms of accomplishment, GOG, treatment of customers and all-around transparency and the Witcher 1 & 2 are two of the best RPGs of the last decade. So many good reasons to be excited for the Wild Hunt. That said, like Patrick's ala-the combo, I wish I never had to hear the words "finally technology has reached the moment when we can do _____".

Interesting that this and Cyberpunk are in development at the same time. Hope CDPR's best talent isn't spread too thin.

#16 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (920 posts) -

I..I think I need cigarette right about now.

#17 Posted by graf1k (410 posts) -

I really loved The Witcher 2 but when they say The Witcher 3 is x30 bigger, I really hope that also means it's a little more open. The one problem I had with The Witcher 2 was that the majority of areas were a very narrow path or a series of narrow paths. I hope that's what they mean and not just x30 the number or narrow paths.

#18 Edited by The_Nubster (2037 posts) -

Sweet holy godfuckshityes. I can't wait.

@GERALTITUDE said:

You're the man, man, but please never use ala before the word the ever again. Just hurts to read. Doesn't it mean like the already? Ala Elder Scrolls rolls much nicer. :)

"The" is part of "The Elder Scrolls." It's a proper noun, so he has to use it. Alternate wording on 'ala' could make it out to mean "in the style of" or "similar to," so he's not making a grammatical oopsie.

#19 Posted by Christoffer (1742 posts) -

So The Witcher 3 and Star Citizen in a foreseeable future. Common graphics card, you can do this... no you really can't

#20 Posted by forkboy (1107 posts) -

Psyched. I'm playing through The Witcher 2 just now & loving it. A sequel is something I'm absolutely excited for.

#21 Posted by KLEPEK_DefenseForce (29 posts) -

The Witcher 3 you say? Sounds AWESOME Patrick!! Thanks for the update and everything you do!!

#22 Posted by Pixeldemon (244 posts) -

Just played through Witcher 2 for the second time. What an incredible accomplishment that game is. In terms of visuals, narrative, and themes, it is way ahead of its time. This is no "chosen one" story, the morality of the game is extremely grey and full of compromises. Not only that, the choices you make drastically impact both the story and the gameplay.

For example, a major decision you make at the end of chapter one majorly alters the story, location and quests of chapter two, and changes the story, quests and context of chapter 3.

Witcher 2 had a good amount of "free roam", but fell short of being an "open world". I can't wait to see what they do with Witcher 3 in a fully open world.

#23 Posted by dr_mantas (1761 posts) -

Man, I get ending a series on a high note, but still...

Learn from The Elder Scrolls, learn to pace yourself, and I'm sure a new Witcher will be made after this.

#24 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE: also, "ala" is a french derivative, and should be written as "à la".

#25 Posted by falling_fast (2180 posts) -

I want it based on that subtitle alone

#26 Posted by TehJedicake (874 posts) -

I just wanna make love to every single person at cd projekt

#27 Posted by White (1302 posts) -

Do fans dig the Witcher 2 combat system? Or perhaps we can see them make a change to something more Dark/Demon's Soul-ish or even Amalur?

#28 Posted by Abendlaender (2733 posts) -

Fuck YES

Also, they confirmed that the enemies in the game will not level with you which is FANTASTIC for me cause I always hate that.

#29 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

Witcher 2 is a very pretty game, but it didn't really grab me. I'm much more excited for Cyberpunk 2077.

#30 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

I want to love the Witcher but I cannot understand the combat for the life of me, finishing the tutorial in The Witcher 2 was one of the hardest things I did that year.

#31 Posted by StarvingGamer (7909 posts) -

WTF does 30x bigger mean? Is it suddenly a 600GB game? Does it last for 600 hours? Both of those things seems impossible.

#32 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

I still have the Witcher 2 installed after having stalled out over a year ago. I guess I'll need to find the motivation to do it eventually, but I restarted the game and still am stuck in the 'unforgiving' stage of combat progression.

#33 Posted by Pr1mus (3777 posts) -

I bought The Witcher 2 during the holiday sale on GOG. It's installed and ready but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

#34 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

played through the witcher in January/February this year and bought the witcher two in March , didnt get round to playing it until the summer but damn both games are great and i really need to finish that last chapter in 2 before 3 comes out which doesnt seem like it should be a problem but its been so long since i played i might have to restart.

#35 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

True! But many Englishers use ala, to the point where that may be the common usage? I don't know honestly, but Wikipedia seems to think so.

It's like all the accents that get dropped from French words. No one can be bothered!

#36 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@White said:

Do fans dig the Witcher 2 combat system? Or perhaps we can see them make a change to something more Dark/Demon's Soul-ish or even Amalur?

Witcher 2 combat system is brilliant, no real need for changes. Skyrim on the other hand...ick.

#37 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I enjoyed TW2 but I'm not really prepared for a game thats 30x bigger. Even Skyrim got old after awhile.

#38 Posted by subyman (587 posts) -

FWIW, Witcher 2 was a very closed game. (I loved the game btw.) So being "30x" larger may still be smaller in size than something like Skyrim. I am, however, very excited to see what they do with an open world Witcher. Witcher 2 was my favorite game of 2011, even more so than Skyrim.

#39 Posted by Daneian (1202 posts) -

Long live CD Projekt Red.

#40 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

“We believe that we should end the series on a high note,”

said no one ever in the past 5 years.

Good on them!

#41 Posted by Baconbot (113 posts) -

I am very excited for this and Cyberpunk 2077.

#42 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

@subyman said:

FWIW, Witcher 2 was a very closed game. (I loved the game btw.) So being "30x" larger may still be smaller in size than something like Skyrim. I am, however, very excited to see what they do with an open world Witcher. Witcher 2 was my favorite game of 2011, even more so than Skyrim.

The original quote had them saying something along the lines of "The Witcher 3 is 20% larger then the world of Skyrim."

#43 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1914 posts) -

@White said:

They seem to be going more into the heavy momentum basis of the Souls stuff. Pirouetting and swings requiring follow-through rather than canceling and such, though.

Amalur-like? God no. Too floaty and mashy, and would totally peel away the love of the combat systems that made me play TW2 in Dark Mode. There's a time and place for that combat, but I don't think it fits the relatively grounded world of The Witcher.

#44 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I want to love the Witcher but I cannot understand the combat for the life of me, finishing the tutorial in The Witcher 2 was one of the hardest things I did that year.

I don't understand how you don't understand it. Regular sword for humans, silver sword for monsters. Hit enemies with appropriate swords, dodge out of the way of attacks and so on. Also you have a few different types of magic. One creates a shield around you, and the others are offensive.

It's exactly the same as other games of this sort, except you need to know when to back off and roll out of the way. Unless you're playing on easy, in which case you can just mash attack. Simple as that.

#45 Posted by Tesla (1903 posts) -

The Witcher is off the chain.

#46 Posted by avantegardener (1107 posts) -

Wheezes with excitement!

#47 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

"with the visuals we want"

Are they saying that the Witcher 2 fell below expectations visually? Holy shit

They are saying the Witcher 2 is not an open world game. Context.

#48 Edited by MattGrant (122 posts) -

Anyone know if the Witcher 3 will support save data from the first two in the series, as the sequel did for the original? Edit: Also! Fuck yeah! Ahem...

#49 Posted by JNeam (77 posts) -

God damn I can't wait!

#50 Posted by golguin (3832 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@White said:

Witcher 2 combat system is brilliant, no real need for changes. Skyrim on the other hand...ick.

I actually played Dark Souls, then Skyrim, and then Witcher 2 so I was all in on the fantasy stuff. Dark Souls had the most satisfying combat for sure, but the Witcher 2 is already pretty close to that Dark Souls sense of weighty combat. I feel like they could refine their combat system, but I wouldn't really change that much about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.