Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

TW3 GOTY Support Group

• 139 results
    Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

This game will probably be number 2 or 3 on my list this year. I finished the main story last week. Loved it. Thought the characters and world were super interesting throughout. However I don't think it will take the top spot of my personal list purely because of game play. The actual game mechanics are decent, I just think my favorite parts of that game are when it is more adventure game and less RPG. There are game play cycles that got tedious before I even finished the game. I kept the combat to normal and it was too easy. It also wasn't fun enough that I would've wanted to bump up the difficulty to "feel the rush" of the combat or whatever. Again the systems are perfectly okay they just weren't what I was playing the game for and a lot of times they didn't feel necessary for padding out the length of the main story. Geralt is an awesome shitty character. He's like the Detective Frank Drebin of dark fantasy, the way he deadpans all the crazy shit he encounters.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm still pondering whether to get Witcher II whilst its on sale.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@shindig: Its the weakest of the 3 Witcher games but still really good, a more focused version of 3.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't worry about it, it's kind of a long running joke that the best game of the year never wins Giant Bomb GOTY. Deep down the staff all know that Witcher 3 is best.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 could end up la like dark soul in be one the best games of the genaration

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extra life donations to see them live stream tossing hundreds of copies of witcher 3 on a bonfire then (dan) pissing out the flames?

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By KentonClay

They should make a "Most Narrative" category and give it Witcher 3.

Shit, actually I think Pillars of Eternity would take that category. That game has like a million pages of lore that no one will ever read.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody wants to see Dan's cock on camera.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109  Edited By GaspoweR

Witcher 3 is up there for me in my personal GOTY.If anything, I just hope the staff is going to pick Mario Maker as the GOTY. That is the one game that the staff and the community can agree everyone enjoys, from the gameplay and figuring out how to beat levels down to the level creation aspect whether it's shitty, clever, or just downright sinister. It's also produced some of the best content on this site, which also included a collaboration with famous Twitch streamer and Youtuber Patrick Klepek.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#110  Edited By dr_mantas

It's the second game on my list this year. It was supposed to be first, until I decided to play this game called "Life is Strange" that has been sitting on my desktop for probably months.

Went in with very little expectations (only bought the whole season because I loved Remember Me).

Life is Strange is now my game of the year, if not the last few years.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Levius

The more I think of the game, the more I think White Orchard is the GOTY. That short section was a masterpiece of concise, interconnected story telling. The subtle storytelling of the Duke(?) and his homosexual son through several quests was outstanding. After that I found the game begins to degenerate into a seeming endless fetch quest, which eventually tired me out. The game needed to find Ciri, and advance the plot, much earlier.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kentonclay: I read it all and it was so fucking good. I have the hardcover guidebook (which is pretty much a P&P setting book for Drywood) proudly on my coffee table.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: where the fuck do you guys get time for this shit?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Levius said:

The more I think of the game, the more I think White Orchard is the GOTY. That short section was a masterpiece of concise, interconnected story telling. The subtle storytelling of the Duke(?) and his homosexual son through several quests was outstanding. After that I found the game begins to degenerate into a seeming endless fetch quest, which eventually tired me out. The game needed to find Ciri, and advance the plot, much earlier.

100%. Only thing I would add is the Red Baron quest was the best side quest possibly ever. The main thread of the game though really fucking dragged. This along with the inventory system being shit make this game hard to be GOTY material for me personally. It's easily one of the best games I've played this year, but I would put MGSV over it(even with MGS's story issues).

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Call it one of the few perks of a shrinking full time job market haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I honestly want this game to win GOTY and not Fallout 4. This needs to be a Yankees vs. Red Socks World Series moment where the man on top fails to the man on the bottom. Bethesda needs to know what competition is.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

it's still my personal game of the year, over a 100 hours in mgsv and about 40ish hours now in fallout 4, my opinion still hasn't changed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The witcher 3 is the Second best GOTY after MGSV phantom Pain. I don't play enough games to make a full list though

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it might just be funny if it didn't make the list only because of how destiny did last year for GOTY, and even after the "great updates"(I don't play it), the staff can only now just barely call it a good(not great) full game. Somewhere on the level of irony or funny circumstances I guess.

I was excited for the staff to play and enjoy this more than witcher 2 just to hear them talk about the game and see content, but it didn't come to total fruition and now that's basically over with.

The goty list means almost nothing but it's fun for some people to read/look at/listen to(podcasts), just don't take it to heart. They're just video games, have fun with them.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexgbro: But then what of Dark Souls 3!? You haven't thought this out at all!

For real, though. Witcher 3 was a cool game and def something that should make it into any top 10, but MGSV also came out with it seems pretty much everyone on the crew is more enamored with. I'd say if not MGSV it'd be Mario Maker.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By mrfluke

I think if anything the GBeast group will speak up for it, as they were more into the idea of finishing the game and actually playing the DLC. but im actually kind of curious if Jeff will actually return to it.

Its my personal GOTY and one of the very best games ive played, first game since halo 3 that makes me want to read the books to get to know the characters more,

but i also accepted the possible fate the game has for the GB Goty list, I think the big proper fight this year seems to be directed between Mario Maker, and MGS Phantom Pain with Most likely Phantom Pain winning it. (with the dark horse being Just Cause 3)

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: I think Mario Maker solidified it's #1 spot over the Extra Life streams.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By SSully

I honestly want this game to win GOTY and not Fallout 4. This needs to be a Yankees vs. Red Socks World Series moment where the man on top fails to the man on the bottom. Bethesda needs to know what competition is.

I don't think Fallout 4 is getting GOTY. There are just too many other games, like MGSV and Mario Maker, that the rest of the crew is more excited about. With that said I dont think the Witcher is getting GOTY here either. The game has it's fans amongst the crew, but a lot of them haven't even finished the game or plan on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 isbetter than anything else that came out this year. Twice as good as the 2nd best game. Nothing else is even on the radar, imo. I'm sure they'll pick MGS or Mario Maker, both of which I'm pretty cold on. I had fun with MGS, but I didn't care about anything I was doing and didn't feel a need to finish it. Around completion and I was over it. The discussion is slightly less interesting when I don't care about the games they'll be fighting over and my personal GOTY isn't even a consideration, but I don't need anyone to validate my opinions. Witcher 3 is the best game so far this decade (IMO).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
    deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The GB duders don't like the game because it requires too much of a time investment for their jobs/playing style. They won't spend the 60-100+ hours that normal players like us would put into TW3 to truly appreciate it.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I feel the Witcher 3 Is just one of those games that you need to commit to and just dive in, to have the best experience possible. It also can take some getting used to, but once you do it is fucking incredible. Those are my favorite kind of games. Maybe that is why I loved DotA for so long. Unfortunately much of the staff, save maybe Brad, just stops playing games the moment they realize it might have a slightly delayed pay off. They simply don't want to take time to get used to any minor learning curve or unpleasantry. To me this is such a shame, as many of the best things in life are forms of delayed gratification. As a result sometimes even the best games get missed out on because of this. I mean Jeff didn't play Red Dead redemption because he didn't want to get used to the horse controls. Whatever, their loss.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to it being dropped from the site top ten list because Brad insists that Taken King should totally be there instead for 45 minutes "because it's practically a new game you guys".

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castermhief117: I don't think it's about time investment. They all played MGSV, or Destiny, or DOTA for dozens of hours. Those are mindless time sinks. You shoot a bunch of stuff, no story or character motivation, no investment in anything you're actually doing, because it does not matter. Meaningless numbers go up(GMP, Light, games won), time goes by, you stop and 10 minutes later you barely remember what you did or WHY you did it.

The Witcher 3 requires attention span, which the GB crew lacks due to juggling multiple titles at the same time. They prefer lighter titles. Titles which don't require them to remember stuff.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I feel the Witcher 3 Is just one of those games that you need to commit to and just dive in, to have the best experience possible. It also can take some getting used to, but once you do it is fucking incredible. Those are my favorite kind of games. Maybe that is why I loved DotA for so long. Unfortunately much of the staff, save maybe Brad, just stops playing games the moment they realize it might have a slightly delayed pay off. They simply don't want to take time to get used to any minor learning curve or unpleasantry. To me this is such a shame, as many of the best things in life are forms of delayed gratification. As a result sometimes even the best games get missed out on because of this. I mean Jeff didn't play Red Dead redemption because he didn't want to get used to the horse controls. Whatever, their loss.

You nailed this site almost exactly as I see it. I don't let it bother me, I haven't agreed with their GOTY in a while.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirpsychosexy: This is exactly one of the reasons I enjoyed Patrick Klepek's work, the way he would throw himself into things that might at first put him off with the goal to ultimately come to terms with and better understand certain games and or genres.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Shindig

I'd argue its harder to commit when your job involves looking at other games on a daily basis. It becomes a vicious cycle unless you're lucky to find a gap.

MadScientist18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, agree that the guys will either go with MGSV or Mario Maker. I think Brad is the only one to finish TW3...I think they all beat MGSV. I'd say maybe Just Cause 3, but that might be releasing too late in the year for them to give it enough time.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really unfortunate that they aren't going to give it the time it's deserved. Not that it's a big deal or anything because what do these GOTY deliberations really mean anyways but like most of you said something much lighter will take that mantle.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets be real, the majority of Giant Bomb gives almost 0 shits about story. Those that care about story don't have the time to play a 20 hour game, let alone the 100 hours needed to fully complete(all quests, cards, side stuff etc) Witcher 3 + DLC. I think most of them recognize its a top 10 GOTY and it will be in the top 10, but probably not nearly as high as it should be and likely, somehow, below The Taken King, a DLC of all things. I mean do you think Pillars of Eternity will even be mentioned for the top 10? Seems unlikely as they had Rorie do the Pillars quick look.

At this point my top 10 would include the following games: Witcher 3, Tales from the Borderlands, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, Metal Gear Solid V, Dying Light, Undertale, Legacy of the Void. I highly doubt Tales from the Borderlands, Pillars of Eternity, Dying Light, and Legacy of the Void will even make the short list of potential GOTY top 10 for GB.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great game. Runner up, but my GOTY is Fallout 4

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished this game the day before Fallout 4 came out. That was one of my goals. I loved it, it is definitely my favorite game of 2015. I was pretty bummed out when I learned I got the bad ending though. I wasn't aware there was such a huge difference in endings, I just thought it was minimal things, so I thought the ending was great. Then I read what the other endings were and I was super bummed. Now I need to go back and make the correct choices to get the good ending.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the "Please Stop" award for 2015 goes to....... Witcher fans

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how they seemed to gush about it and now it's just in the back burner. I'm sure it'll make the top ten, but it's gonna be infuriating seeing it below Fallout 4 (we all know this will happen).

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By brandondryrock

@kishinfoulux: Different strokes. I absolutely love Witcher, but when people ask me if they should play it, I tell them to give it at least 10 hours before they make up their mind about continuing. It is a slow burn, in a good way, but those looking for instant gratification won't enjoy it. I honestly put about 20 hours into the game before it started to click for me, but once it did click, it was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences ever.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#141  Edited By Cav829

I'm not getting some of the claims about the staff not liking long games. Jeff's already on his second playthrough of Fallout 4, Dann finished Bloodborne this year, Brad finished it and did the Chalice Dungeons, almost everyone on staff sunk at least 50 hours into MGS V etc.

I'd also suggest some people just aren't really into The Witcher's story, and that it isn't some "they just don't give a crap about story" type situation. I mean, I love the fantasy genre, but I'm not super big on the larger storylines of The Witcher (though I like a lot of the smaller story chunks). I just don't think Geralt is a good character. I'm not saying this to argue my own point of view or to open an argument about the story, but suggesting that individual opinions are almost always nuanced. Even if eight different guys don't finish a game, the reason they all don't finish it is likely for different reasons. Like Rorie is a fantasy and RPG geek, and even he has stated he's not into Witcher. It's super cool if people consider the story of that series to be their favorite among games. But it's a little absurd to suggest that it means someone doesn't care about story if they don't like the game's story.

For what it's worth, after this week's Bombcast, I'd feel a lot better about the game creeping into the top 10 thanks to Jason.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By CheapPoison

@kishinfoulux: I feel it will. Travesty I say!

At this point I think we might be happy if it gets on there, cause none of them will finish it before the deliberations if they haven't touched it or haven't touched it in so long. Not the biggest deal, but a real bummer that so much time is being spend on Fallout, which to me is a strictly inferior product then the witcher in almost every way. I recon there might be some bias in there.

@madscientist18 Did he? I thought not a single member of Giant bomb finished the Witcher. I think it is kind of a vicious circle. If noone champions it the others might not pay attention. Or it certainly is a factor, interest levels noticeably rise amongs them when one of them really likes something.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@cheappoison: you're right none of the staff has beat the main story yet, they just talked about that on the latest podcast pretty sure. Just off the top of my head I think Dan is the furthest in the game, then maybe Brad. Vinny is really early I think, and no clue about Austin or Alex. Jeff is pretty much at the beginning of the game I think.

I'm surprised @rorie never got into the Witcher 3 (or am I mistaken?), but I think he wasn't a fan of the previous games if I recall correctly? It's too bad because I think he would appreciate the quality of the writing more than most, being a dude of CRPG lineage and also having written the excellent "Alpha Protocol".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.