Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Warning, PS4 save files between digital and physical versions are not compatible

Avatar image for deactivated-629e649f0699a
    deactivated-629e649f0699a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This may already be common knowledge, but it was news to me!

I traded in Witcher 3 after Hearts of Stone (times were tough) and then saw the base game was discounted on the PSN store, and downloaded it along with Blood and Wine.

What I didn't realise is that apparently the PS4 treats digital downloads almost like an entirely separate game, and as a result by disc based saves aren't detected!

From what forum trawling I did it may just be a UK issue (something about the console detecting disc based games as UK and then digital games as EU) but just a heads up!

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that's fantastic, I just downloaded Witcher 3 hoping my saves would work. Frustrated and £20 lighter.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is known.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange, just checked and my saves appear to have been pulled from the online storage, just had to download them to the system once installed. Will report back.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

My Injustice: Gods Among Us saves transferred over to the digital copy.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

They have said as much in the past that digital and physical games are treated as seperate releases. Some games will work however, but it's not a guarantee.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snowypliskin: Yeah please let me know how you get on! If not I've seen Tesco have it for £16 at the moment, weighing up whether to bite the bullet and buy it on disc or start the DLC with a pre made character.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that seems ridiculous. I swear I've done this in the past, when games I've owned physically show up on PS+ or Games with Gold, and it's never been an issue. That's annoying thing to have to consider in the future.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newjack: will try and let you know later on. The saves are there but I can't get into them just yet because the game isn't fully installed.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

That shouldn't be how that works.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally. I guess I could have done some research before hand, but at the same time I don't think it's unreasonable to expect this kind of thing to just work.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Managed to download my saves from online storage to the system and downloading the game and everything seems to be working. Can't wait to start blood and wine, luckily finished the game level 36.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah my saves are there too, but when I boot up the game it doesn't find them and actually creates a new separate save space with new user settings. Have you booted the game up and used your original saves then?

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newjack: Yeah I booted into the 'something ends, something begins' quest, watched the last cutscene, (it weirdly gave me the achievement for completing the game even though I should have already had it) and then it put me back into the world.

All I could suggest is deleting the saves from your system and re-downloading them from the online storage,perhaps they were corrupted or something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snowypliskin Well that sounds promising! Thanks for the update, I'll have a play about with it when I get home from work and see if I can get it working.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.