Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Will my PC run this game well?

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JohnLocke

Hi all,

Basically I was looking to pre-order The Witcher 3 on Xbox One, but a promotion where it was 2 pre-orders with so much off (basically saving nearly £10 per game) has ended before I got them in (my fault, I thought there was a few days left but turns out I was wrong). Anyway, with that happening, I am tempted to get Witcher 3 on PC. My question is, can my PC run it well (i.e. nice graphics, good frame rate)?

My PC hardware is:

CPU- Intel i7 3770

GPU- NVidia 660GTX 2gigs

RAM- 16 gigs DDR(3)

OS- Windows 8.1

Thank you, I know there are sites that do the System Requirements but I prefer to get feedback from users who have experience in this aspect.

Cheers.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, your 2gb vram may only really allow middle graphics at best I'd say. I'm gonna be playing on a 780ti (3gb) and I'm not expecting to be able to max this thing 60fps. Honestly though, I'd say you'll still get a fairly fine looking game with those specs, just don't expect to reach the upper tiers of graphic settings.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By qrdl

If the price difference of the two versions (the PC obviously being the cheaper option) is less than £15, my vote goes to xbox one. It will probably look slightly better than the PC version when you set it up to reach a semi-stable 30fps.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

@johnlocke: it run fine on medium with some high settings on and it run better then it will on consoles

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think it will definitely look better on your PC over consoles, even though your specs aren't top level. That's where I'm at with my PC now but I can still have 60 fps and games still look good on a mix of high and medium settings.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I'm curious what games your getting these results in?

My rig is upgraded far beyond those specs and most modern games are very taxing on high settings. Partially because most games are released as in optimized disasters and I doubt this one will be that way.

Still though I'm betting a 660 with only 2gb of ram is going to top out at medium settings which is usually about where the new consoles land, save for a few bells and whistles the consoles manage to squeeze out

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So can I expect to achieve 60 frames per a second? I am contemplating getting a new GPU later in the year (I am 50/50 over it or a PS4 basically) but I would like to play the Witcher 3 before that. I am not expecting to reach top ultra settings with the set up but would like to run it well enough for it to A). Run nice in 1920X1080 B). Look better than the Xbox One version.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A 660 being the minimum for specs I'm going to say no, your best bet is to lock at 30 just to have consistency. Then again who knows! If you had told me that gta v would be that scalable I would have laughed at you

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not gonna happen. In this case, if you aren't going to invest in a new graphics card anytime soon, stick to the console version. I'd say this goes for most other games coming out soon as well. The GTX 660 is pretty old these days, so its asking a lot for it to play newer games at a smooth 1080p/60. That's challenging even for newer cards!

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll likely run and look better on the Xbox One.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If I were in your position, I'd get the PC version and a new GPU later on. I imagine that you should be able to get 1080/60, or at least a playable frame rate at 1080, if you turn a few things down, and you should be turn everything up if you get a new GPU.

I'm curious to see how a 4GB GTX 960 will bench with this game.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesilenttruth: You're just making up nonsense and that's frowned upon in PC advice threads.

He's not getting anywhere close to 1080/60 fps unless he turns everything off.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By John1912

@johnlocke said:

So can I expect to achieve 60 frames per a second? I am contemplating getting a new GPU later in the year (I am 50/50 over it or a PS4 basically) but I would like to play the Witcher 3 before that. I am not expecting to reach top ultra settings with the set up but would like to run it well enough for it to A). Run nice in 1920X1080 B). Look better than the Xbox One version.

Consoles dont look that bad. I doubt you will be able to get 60 FPS at medium settings on par with the consoles, honestly your performance may be really close to consoles. Im going to be running a GTX 770 4 GB, and hoping to get stable mid 40s with as much maxed out as I can. I barely get 60 FPS in GTA 5 with every thing near maxed out, and that only recommended a GTX 660.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Honest question: It sounds like you missed the pre-order promotion you were hoping to take advantage of, so why not just wait and see how the game performs once it's available? It seems like any answer you get now will be based on guesswork.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baconhound: This is something that I did consider but then I assume I would miss out on the pre-order content of the game (i.e. the soundtrack, book, etc included with the game)?

Professor_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your limiting factor will be your GPU for sure. If you want 1080p 60fps you will probably have to lower some other settings like object detail, antialiasing, and any other post-processing effects to free up as much VRAM as you can to render at 1080p. To be honest I'd wait and see a report from Digital Foundry on the console versions. If they perform well then go that route. However, if they do not I would see if you can cap your FPS on PC to 30, I think you would get a better experience at 30fps than lower the graphics quality to try and maintain 60fps.

Also, you can always upgrade your PC, so you could play the PC version at lower-quality for a while and save up to get a new GPU, then crank it up. The Xbox One version will always be what it is.

To be honest I'd exercise patience on this one because it is unclear how the console versions will perform and how well the game will scale to lower-end PC hardware. The good news is that there are more resources than ever to help you make an informed decision that is right for you, you just have to be willing to wait for that information to come in.

I don't know how you feel about trading games in or reselling them, but you can always get a physical copy of the Xbox One version and if you do not like the performance sell it and get the PC version.

Professor_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnlocke: In my last post I mentioned getting a physical copy of the Xbox One version and selling it if you don't like the performance. This would be the best way to get the bonus pre-order content if that is something you value. Considering there is no DRM in the PC version you may also be able to buy a physical copy of that as well and resell it as long as there is no activation key.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professor_t: You have raised some good points (as have everybody else here). I will have a think, I guess if it comes to it and I get a new GPU over a PS4 in the future, then I could get the game again on PC (during a Steam sale or Humble Bundle or what not) or a Game of the Year version with all the expansion packs if they do that.

I will have a think, but thank you all for the input. It is appreciated.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

you and I have literately the same computer. However, I just purchased a GTX 980 specifically to run the witcher 3.

You have a couple options:

Sell your 660 and buy a better card

Keep your 660, buy a better card, and use your 660 solely for physics (that's what I'm doing)

Buy another 660 and SLI the drives (though I don't know how it compares to something like a 780ti)

I would avoid buying the Witcher 3 (specifically console digital versions) until there are reviews...

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2GB is not gonna cut it for a open world game on max especially the Witcher 3. I have a hard time even saying you will run it medium 60 fps steady. Get a new 4GB GPU, I think they still have that bundle with a GPU+Free Witcher 3.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

As people have been saying, you'll need a new graphics card. The good news that's all you'll need. The bad news is that's the most expensive part. If you don't plan on upgrading, I'd get the console version so you don't have to fart around with too many settings to get it going good.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@johnlocke:

Minimum

• Processor: Intel i5-2500k 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940
    • Memory: 6GB
    • Video Card: GeForce GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7870

Recommended

• Processor: Intel i7-3770 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
    • Memory: 8GB
    • Video Card: GeForce GTX 770 or Radeon R9 290

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/3030-41484/

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaLe

If I have an i5 2500K and a 970 should I be OK on high? I dunno how much my processor is gonna bottleneck me. (Playing at 16:10 / 1920x1200)

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@punched: I thought it was obvious that I, like the majority of people in this thread, were making educated guess based on his specs, the game's system retirements and our collective experiences. It's not like I can form an opinion based on a solid benchmark of a game that isn't even out yet. So just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OurSin_360

@johnlocke:

Minimum

• Processor: Intel i5-2500k 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940
    • Memory: 6GB
    • Video Card: GeForce GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7870

Recommended

• Processor: Intel i7-3770 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
    • Memory: 8GB
    • Video Card: GeForce GTX 770 or Radeon R9 290

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/3030-41484/

hmm, i have an Fx-8350 Oc'd to like 4.5ghz, but i still rock the 7950 3gb. I just dont' have the money to upgrade anymore, just buying the game will be pushing it lol. I bet it still looks amazing with certain settings taken off, the witcher 2 looked great to me at 720p and 45fps with my 5770 lol.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ripelivejam

hmm do i drop the $300 for a 2nd r9 290 now or is my amd setup trash and i should give up on it and move to intel/nvidia down the line even though i only upgraded a few months ago?

this will probably run fine, i just want that tasty 60fps. :(

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesilenttruth: No need to resort to name calling. If you want to get all obvious, it's obvious you just said some nonsense without actually considering what the requirements for the game see or what his specs are. If he trusted your response, he'd be very disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not sure if this influences your decision at all but currently if you buy any 900 series Nvidia graphics card you get a free code for Witcher 3. All of those cards are considerably better than a 660.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

The use of word minimum in specs is often misleading and normally refers to medium specs or whatever devs think is acceptable playing experience for customer.

I hope industry changes this term or clearly define it, Its similar to how hard drive industry will advertise hard drive space at 1TB on hardrive and really getting 931 GB.

So you be OK with your system and you get will get good experience out of game.

@ripelivejam: I am in similar situation but I am going to wait for new Nvida and for new Intel CPU so I can retire my overcloacked I7 sandy bridge.

But also new Intel CPU coming this year meant to be quite good from what I have heard from people that should know.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By John1912

@cale said:

If I have an i5 2500K and a 970 should I be OK on high? I dunno how much my processor is gonna bottleneck me. (Playing at 16:10 / 1920x1200)

You should be fine. Could always over clock the CPU a bit as well. Restart the PC and hit F2 before it loads to start your bios. Could turn it up 3-600mhz, maybe more. May want to dload CPUID to check what the temps are so it doesnt over heat. Most people say keep it under 90C, pref under 80C, but I had a shit Dell I5-2400 with a stock heatsick that fucking ran around 100C + all the time for years and nothing happened to it. Either way your PC should slow the CPU down if it gets too hot, or your system will reboot if its WAAY too hot.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:
    @cale said:

You should be fine. Could always over clock the CPU a bit as well. Restart the PC and hit F2 before it loads to start your bios. Could turn it up 3-600mhz, maybe more. May want to dload CPUID to check what the temps are so it doesnt over heat. Most people say keep it under 90C, pref under 80C, but I had a shit Dell I5-2400 with a stock heatsick that fucking ran around 100C + all the time for years and nothing happened to it. Either way your PC should slow the CPU down if it gets too hot, or your system will reboot if its WAAY too hot.

I bought my MB/CPU/RAM as a package and it came overclocked at 4.4 GHz or something like that, but it was crashing a lot for no reason so I reset it back to default to see if that would help and the crashing stopped, so I assumed it was the overclock causing it. High temps were never an issue or anything, it'd crash even just sitting at the desktop, idling at like 38 degrees. Maybe a voltage issue, not sure, but I lost the overclock profile from my BIOS and haven't tried again since. I think it works through a multiplier or something, it's been so long since I even looked, but if the performance isn't what I'd like when playing I'll probably do some digging into how to get some extra performance out of it.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ravingham91

Hmm, your 2gb vram may only really allow middle graphics at best I'd say. I'm gonna be playing on a 780ti (3gb) and I'm not expecting to be able to max this thing 60fps. Honestly though, I'd say you'll still get a fairly fine looking game with those specs, just don't expect to reach the upper tiers of graphic settings.

I also have a 780ti and a sandy brigde i7 and 8gb...I'm hoping for 30+ @1440p but I'm doubtful :(

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You might be able to reach parity with consoles like withe the 30 frames. I wouldn't be surprised though if you had to turn some things down from medium.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:
    @john1912 said:
    @cale said:

I bought my MB/CPU/RAM as a package and it came overclocked at 4.4 GHz or something like that, but it was crashing a lot for no reason so I reset it back to default to see if that would help and the crashing stopped, so I assumed it was the overclock causing it. High temps were never an issue or anything, it'd crash even just sitting at the desktop, idling at like 38 degrees. Maybe a voltage issue, not sure, but I lost the overclock profile from my BIOS and haven't tried again since. I think it works through a multiplier or something, it's been so long since I even looked, but if the performance isn't what I'd like when playing I'll probably do some digging into how to get some extra performance out of it.

Base for I5-2500k is 3.3 GHz, I dont think you want to go past 3.7 from the stats page on it. Id try 3.7 or 3.6. It prob wasnt 4.4, but I could be wrong. If it was that high it definitely could have been the issue.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By j0lter

It will definitely run and look better on your PC over console. Also, why would you not prefer 60fps, mods, and variable graphics settings over a locked platform? Get the pc version.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just look at the PC requirements and figure it out from there? I don't get why so many people make these topics when the PC recommended requirements are usually available.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@substance_d: Probably because of how extremely vague Minimum and Recommended are. Rarely (never?) in the history of PC games did a developer release a list that said had Ultimate Requirements, High Requirements, Medium High Requirements, etc. Every dev has their own idea of what Minimum and Recommended mean. What the consoles are running at is anyone's guess outside resolution and framerate. Traditionally console games are stabilized through pretty custom means that can't be replicated by toggling sliders in the "ADVANCED MENU" - this is why porting isn't a 10 minute testing job in the first place. Generally speaking, you can never recreate the console specs on a PC, though you can get close. It's just not like that.

Anyways if you follow the advice of anyone in this thread I think you are nuts. NUTS. BANANAS NUTS.

If you really want to know the truth, wait till it comes out, then wait 1 week, and see what's what. What the hell does High even mean right now? Turn it down to Medium? The hell does medium look like? Never mind you didn't even give us the resolution of your monitor. Are you playing at 1920x1080? Or more? Huge, massive difference that makes.

Gah these threads drive me crazy. Literally everything in here is an educated lie at best.

I guess if you can't wait to buy the game and are waffling between PC/console or keep PC/upgrade PC then I dunno. Throw a dart at a board?

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@substance_d: Probably because of how extremely vague Minimum and Recommended are. Rarely (never?) in the history of PC games did a developer release a list that said had Ultimate Requirements, High Requirements, Medium High Requirements, etc. Every dev has their own idea of what Minimum and Recommended mean. What the consoles are running at is anyone's guess outside resolution and framerate. Traditionally console games are stabilized through pretty custom means that can't be replicated by toggling sliders in the "ADVANCED MENU" - this is why porting isn't a 10 minute testing job in the first place. Generally speaking, you can never recreate the console specs on a PC, though you can get close. It's just not like that.

Anyways if you follow the advice of anyone in this thread I think you are nuts. NUTS. BANANAS NUTS.

If you really want to know the truth, wait till it comes out, then wait 1 week, and see what's what. What the hell does High even mean right now? Turn it down to Medium? The hell does medium look like? Never mind you didn't even give us the resolution of your monitor. Are you playing at 1920x1080? Or more? Huge, massive difference that makes.

Gah these threads drive me crazy. Literally everything in here is an educated lie at best.

I guess if you can't wait to be the game and are waffling between PC/console or keep PC/upgrade PC then I dunno. Throw a dart at a board?

This... ^^^^ Also keep in mind that, they're including 4k resolutions in the "recommended specs"

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Spectrea

So i bought a new computer for W3 how well will it do? I am playing on a low resolution though {1280} as monitor on top would have impacted the budget ill try sort one of them out in the meantime but probably wont happen i dont know.

core i5-4460, a gtx 960, and 8gb of ram. i was going to get g3258 and overclock it but i didnt trust just two cores to even start it. I assume ill be alright at the low resolution, what if i were to get a higher resolution monitor {1920}? Sorry if a similar pc has been posted im posting before reading.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@spectrea: Yeah with that rig you should do pretty well at 720p. At 1080p you'll probably have to turn down some settings if you want 60fps but it should still look and run nicely. (Better than consoles anyway)

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of want to start a new thread specifically about this but I will just put it here.

There are recomended specs already posted in this thread by @oursin_360 which everyone should consider. Based on dev/mod response on CDProject's own forum the recommended specs will get you around 30-40 FPS at 1080 with most things at high settings. For those who want some cold hard reality though prominent youtubers have gotten to play the game and record some footage on CDProject test machines. Based on what was said in their videos these machines ran 16 gig ram, an i7 though they didn't specify which one, did have ssd, and were using a a single reference board gtx 980. At 1080p they were able to get 60 fps solid on these machines no problem and maxed everything.... except nvidia hair physics which apparently dropped the game anywhere from 10-20 fps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.