Witcher 3 details and high-res screenshots

#1 Posted by Aegon (5769 posts) -

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt New Screenshots and Info About the Story-Driven, Open-World RPG from CD Projekt RED

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is an unprecedented combination of story-driven RPG and vast, living, open world. CD Projekt RED talks about how the studio achieves this union of different RPG approaches.

“The Witcher 3 is full of impactful decisions, and gamers will choose between storylines that exclude one another in a single playthrough, ensuring extensive replay value. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt crowns the trilogy with the main narrative, revolving around Geralt’s search for his loved ones and his conflict with the Wild Hunt. As players travel through the game, they visit lands with their own unique atmosphere, communities and memorable characters. CD Projekt RED didn’t create an open world with a singular theme, but concentrated on delivering diversified and engaging environments, 30 times larger than those in The Witcher 2.” said Adam Badowski, head of CD projekt RED sudio.

This setting changes depending on gamers’ actions not only when completing Geralt’s personal storyline, but also because of his involvement in major local plotlines in each land visited and many other carefully-designed side quests. All threads of this player-crafted tale interact with each other and the world, creating an even more nonlinear experience than ever before. The main narrative accounts for around 50 hours of gameplay in one playthrough, and the additional stories add another 50 hours of role playing, giving around 100 hours of total gaming time.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt announcement screenshots present the chilly islands of Skellige, one of the lands the players will visit during their adventures. Today CD projekt RED has released a set of in-game images from this archipelago. The images come from an early version of the game as the team develops a new renderer, which will be used in the final game.

The Witcher 3 will be available in 2014 for all high-end platforms, including PlayStation 4.

The rest of the images are <here>

#2 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Witcher 2 looked good not surprised by these

#3 Posted by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

It feels good to be excited about video games again.

#4 Posted by Marcsman (3262 posts) -

A must have for the PS4. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Posted by Nilazz (630 posts) -

Looks like my life is going to be on hold for a few days when this is let lose into The WILD.

#6 Posted by fatalflame (104 posts) -

Excited!! Think I'll fire up Witcher 2 and play through that again...

#7 Posted by SlashDance (1841 posts) -

Am I crazy if I think it doesn't look that great ? It still sounds very promising but I do hope these shots are way early.

#8 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@slashdance said:

Am I crazy if I think it doesn't look that great ? It still sounds very promising but I do hope these shots are way early.

I think CDProjekt mentioned that much of the game is still running on their current gen engine and has yet to be upgraded to their new one. Another thing to consider is that screenshots rarely do a game justice, I'm sure it look baller as fuck in motion.

#9 Edited by SlashDance (1841 posts) -
#10 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

WHAT SEXINESS IS THIS?!!!

#11 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Looks so pretty, this alone may sell me on the next consoles.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

What crazy future games are you playing, that this looks bad?

#13 Posted by SlashDance (1841 posts) -

@bourbon_warrior: I didn't say bad, it just doesn't look amazing for a supposedly next-gen game. Especially the outdoor shots.

#14 Posted by cmblasko (1322 posts) -

Can't wait to see it in action.

#15 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

God damn... I need to play the first two soon

#16 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1916 posts) -

Are these proper Witcher 3 screenshots? When it was unveiled, CD Projekt said it was running off of The Witcher 2's renderer.

#17 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Omigosh.

#18 Edited by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

-drools-

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

WHAT SEXINESS IS THIS?!!!

CD Project RED confirmed to be working on Dark Tower game.

#20 Edited by ConfusedOwl (961 posts) -

I really hope I can have a computer capable of playing this by the time it's released. This is really looking great so far and the first two games are amazing.

#21 Posted by Andorski (5352 posts) -

I hope they do a better job of catching players who didn't play prior series installments onto major plot points in the story. People say that people could play Witcher 2 without playing the original without a hitch, but I disagree. Major character relationships were unexplained, and the Wild Hunt (the overarching antagonist to the series) was extremely vague to the point of confusion. You can derive general happenings while playing through the sequel, but for such a story driven franchise I would hope that there would be a higher emphasis on making sure the player always knew what exactly was going on.

#22 Posted by Shiseiten (36 posts) -

@ezakael said:

I really hope I can have a computer capable of playing this by the time it's released. This is really looking great so far and the first two games are amazing.

even now my PC still can't play Witcher 2 smoothly on max settings with all the "goodies" on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.