WItcher 3 not the last Witcher afterall.

#1 Edited by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/the-witcher-3-may-not-be-the-last-witcher-after-all/

its just the last witcher for this trilogy

Eurogamer, however, recently updated its story on The Witcher 3 to say that what Badowski meant was that The Wild Hunt will be the last game in the current Witcher trilogy. Furthermore, CEO Adam Kicinski has stated that the "franchise will be continued."

We contacted CD Projekt Red for clarification on the issue. A spokesperson tells Joystiq, "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will wrap up the saga of Geralt of Rivia, but we do leave open the possibility of returning to the Witcher world." So there you have it, nothing can kill the Witcher, not even the monster of errant marketing.

of fucking course. like really, not too surprised at this.

#2 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Well of course it will

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

mod overlords, can you attach this to the witcher 3 page?, forgot about that,

sorry! please dont kill me!

#4 Posted by mak_wikus (515 posts) -

Yeah, it sounded unbelievable. I'm glad they clarified that. I'm wondering if they'll make another game about Geralt or create something new in the universe.

#5 Edited by GaspoweR (2957 posts) -

Well, at the very least it'll give some closure to his story line that started with the novels. I can see CD Projekt Red possibly doing another game focusing on a different Witcher.

#6 Edited by Ghostiet (5249 posts) -
@GaspoweR said:

Well, at the very least it'll give some closure to his story line that started with the novels.

Fun fact: the games aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.
#7 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

Sounds good to me I like the Witcher games.

#8 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

Sounds great. I really like Witcher, it's a very solid RPG series that I wish they would bring to PS3. Maybe I might upgrade my PC to play it.

#9 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@ShadowMoses900: u could probably get witcher 2 to run decently on low settings, i dont have a great machine and i was able to run witcher 2 pretty decently

#10 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Well, at the very least it'll give some closure to his story line that started with the novels.

Fun fact: the game's aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.

well it's not like the author is making canon all the time anyway. (he stopped writing them at lady in the lake afaik)

#11 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

@mrfluke: Maybe....I could give it a try.

#12 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -
#13 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Out of all the franchises in the world, the one with the coolest most badass character wants to end that character's saga. Why do we still have Isaac Clarke and Dante and all those other fools in their respective universes?

I guess ending on a high note is for the best. I don't want a Witcher 7 making me sick of Geralt, so a trilogy for that amazing man sounds perfect I guess. It's just sad, bro :(

#14 Posted by rye256 (116 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

So there you have it, nothing can kill the Witcher, not even the monster of errant marketing.

Geralt has a sword for just that kind of monster!

#15 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@rye256: i never said what you quoted lol, but whatevs. definitely will miss geralt after this game, dude was a badass.

#16 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -

They're 2/2, so I don't see any reason for them to stop.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: honestly, in that world, I would love to play a naive ass kid whom would get broken down by that world over the course of the game. Sounds fun to me :D

#18 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

I kinda wish a series would end for once... It would be nice to know it won't be screwed with. But no money wins every time.

#19 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@OfficeGamer: honestly, in that world, I would love to play a naive ass kid whom would get broken down by that world over the course of the game. Sounds fun to me :D

Only if he screams "Let's go!," "Giddy up there nag" and "Yep, I'm Marston alright!" all the time.

#20 Edited by Ghostiet (5249 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Fun fact: the game's aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.

well it's not like the author is making canon all the time anyway. (he stopped writing them at lady in the lake afaik)

There are only 5 books in the Witcher saga: Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow and The Lady of the Lake + two non-canon short stories Something Ends, Something Begins and Droga, z której się nie wraca (with that last one only semi-attached to the Witcher series post factum) + his anthologies of Witcher stories: The Witcher (which contains the aforementioned short stories and was later integrated into The Last Wish), The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny - both serving as a prologue and introduction to the saga proper. Sapkowski wrote all of that and there's nothing more - he also doesn't intend to write more in this world.
#21 Posted by rye256 (116 posts) -

@mrfluke: My bad, I intended to quote the sentence in the article that was in your post. I will miss Geralt as well. Looking forward to this game!

#22 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@rye256: lol no worries, just found it a bit weird seeing me tagged to something i didnt say :P

#23 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

The Witcher universe is the Star Wars of Poland. It has to continue. It's huge back there.

#24 Posted by HatKing (5886 posts) -

Not the last one? Awesome. I haven't spent much time with the series, and despite some issues I have taken with what I have seen, I am all for this one continuing on. I swear one of these days I'm going finally play the copy of Witcher 2 I bought back when it was rereleased last year.

#25 Posted by cmblasko (1192 posts) -

Geralt of Rivia has become a legend by ending the war. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content.

#26 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Fun fact: the games aren't canon. Sapkowski initially said that it's a continuation of the books and approved the general script, but then he flip-flopped and said "nope". So they basically can go crazy.

Did he say why he changed his mind?

#27 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10895 posts) -

I think that's the best way to handle it. Give some closure to Geralt's story, let the franchise rest for a bit, and then return with someone else, and maybe a different setting. I think it'd be neat if they jumped forward a few hundred years or something.

#28 Edited by Ghostiet (5249 posts) -
@Snail said:

@Ghostiet said:

@GaspoweR said:

Did he say why he changed his mind?

Sapkowski is, in simple terms, kind of a prick. He in general has very little regard for video games and while he has no problem with his works being adapted to other mediums - he said he thinks the game is a fine adaptation - he holds them as completely separate entities due to the fact that he didn't write them personally. He maintains that the games are merely adaptations (he's very adamant about using that particular word), not continuations and if he ever returns to the Witcher universe, he won't take them into consideration at all - there's a very unsubtle implication in the way he said it that he doesn't think anyone could match up to his own writing prowess. This also has a positive side, though, since he doesn't intend to interfere with the writing process in any way, including consulting and he has no problems with issuing the license.

Andrzej Sapkowski generally has an aura of condescension around him and he's not the most pleasant person. I'm pretty sure he initially called the game canon around the time it wasn't supposed to feature Geralt as a protagonist and maintained it up until around the time the game finally came out - I think he underestimated the medium and CD Projekt RED and is simply too stubborn to admit that it's something more than just a video game at this point. The interview in which he last spoke about this issue is from Summer 2012. I'd send you a link, but I don't think it's been translated.

#29 Posted by anywhereilay (144 posts) -
@Ghostiet: A link to the kind of thing you're talking about.  

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45614/t1788715-witcher-author-says-games-aren-true-series-installments/
#30 Posted by firecracker22 (537 posts) -

I find it hard to believe that they won't have another Geralt centered game. From the translated books I've read, and the games...CDPR managed to give us a story where we make different decisions that can define our Geralt in different ways...and they still managed to make all of those decisions seem appropriate to the character, and none of those choices seem out of character whatsoever. To me, that is just amazing. They get this universe, and they definitely understand Geralt. It seems like it'd be a travesty for them to not tell another story with him after Wild Hunt. Especially with them only now getting their toes wet with console gamers.

I dunno, I'm a big fan of CDPR. So whatever they do, I'll probably be down for it. Maybe a Witcher game with us playing as Ciri is something they would try, if Ciri even appears in Wild Hunt.

#31 Edited by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

The Witcher universe is wide enough to not need Geralt or a Witcher for that matter. Just like Star Wars doesn't begin and end with Jedi. That said I really wish developers would let things end. It's bad business but closing the book on stuff is nice.

#32 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

We'll probably play as a different witcher.

#33 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

We'll probably play as a different witcher.

#34 Posted by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

If there is no more cannon, just let the series die. Don't end up ruining the franchise by trying to prolong it past it's due date. Don't make the witcher into assassins creed please

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.