Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Witcher 3 still not confirmed for XBOX (PC PS4 exclusive?)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok one day after the PS4 announcement they confirmed a PS4 release in an official press release and they were ver happy and hyped about it. Now a few days after they Xbox one reveal they still did not confirm this. All they said was:

"We will shed more light on [The Witcher 3] during E3," CD Projekt Red managing director Adam Badowski told GameSpot. "I'm sorry but I can't give you any details right now."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/is-the-witcher-3-coming-to-xbox-one-6408816

Given how CDRED is a very very consumer and anti DRM company I somehow think they will not release The Witcher 3 on the next XBOX. They also were really happy how Sony supports them so chances are very high that you will not see a XBOX one release of this game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

They released it on 360 and not PS3 before so I don't see why they wouldn't release it on Xbox One in this current generation since they already have a relationship with Microsoft. At the end of the day it's one of those games that are best played on PC anyway.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3 BeachThunder  Online

I think it's fair to say that GOG will be the place to buy Witcher 3; chances are you'll get a shit load of extras with the game, possibly including other games...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darji

@humanity said:

They released it on 360 and not PS3 before so I don't see why they wouldn't release it on Xbox One in this current generation since they already have a relationship with Microsoft. At the end of the day it's one of those games that are best played on PC anyway.

Because the Cell was hard to get into and develop for. And again they are totally anti DRM and they do not need the money. They would lose tons of people who believes in their anti DRM philosophy. Also Sony could let them self publish the game as well for Mircosoft they would have needed a publisher which caused them already much trouble with I think it was Namco.

Also imagine if the PS4 is very easy to develop for and like a PC environment imagine Witcher 2 as a launch game for Ps4 and next year Witcher 3 as a console exclusive.

edit: do not get my wrong I will most likely buy it on Steam but it makes sense for CDRED to not release it on the new XBOX because of all this anti consumer bullshit. If they would they would lose all their reputation and their image.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

will they release it on steam. is steam not DRM.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

why is it best played on a PC. i played TW2 on a 360 controller

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bell_end said:

will they release it on steam. is steam not DRM.

Not really. People often say it is DRM but in reality it is not.

FYI, Steam itself isn't inherently DRM. Custom Executable Generation, which is what tethers a game to the client, is entirely optional, even for Steamworks titles (see: Scribblenauts Unlimited). I'd say the reason it's so willingly used, though, is that developers/publishers simply assume (and assume correctly, for the most part) that those buying games on Steam don't mind running the client.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

In an article about the first look at Witcher 3:

CD Projekt's made no announcements as to platforms Wild Hunt will release on. Both The Witcher and The Witcher 2 touched down on PC, so it's hard to imagine that the developer won't go for a three-peat. The developer also mentioned that it would be hitting "all top-of-the-line" consoles, which could indicate next-generation consoles.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/The-Witcher-3-PC-Next-Gen,20920.html

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darji

@jeust said:

In an article about the first look at Witcher 3:

CD Projekt's made no announcements as to platforms Wild Hunt will release on. Both The Witcher and The Witcher 2 touched down on PC, so it's hard to imagine that the developer won't go for a three-peat. The developer also mentioned that it would be hitting "all top-of-the-line" consoles, which could indicate next-generation consoles.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/The-Witcher-3-PC-Next-Gen,20920.html

Things can change.

Here this is the statement you got 1 day after the PS4 release.

CD Projekt RED’s upcoming story-driven, open world RPGwill launch on Sony's PlayStation 4 once the game is released in 2014. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the final episode of the award-winning RPG series and triumphant finish to the legend of Geralt of Rivia. While the Witcher 3 is the pinnacle to the Witcher series, it is also a standalone story that players new and old will love as they have another chance to live the dangerous life of a witcher. With the capabilities of PlayStation 4 and the next-gen ready REDengine 3, The Witcher 3 will be a truly amazing RPG.

“We were thrilled when asked, several months ago, to be one of the developers who were granted early access to the PlayStation 4. It was an exciting moment to be invited to be in the company of other legendary developers like Bethesda, EA, LucasArts, Ubisoft or Activision as one of the teams working on titles shipping early in the PlayStation 4's lifecycle. Of course, we couldn't reveal any specifics about this to our fans, even though many journalists and forum members asked about when and how The Witcher might show up on Sony's console. After yesterday's PlayStation Meeting we can finally promise: The Witcher 3 is coming to the PlayStation 4. The new hardware gives us the opportunity to create something great. We are able to work with the new console from its birth and this allows our in-house REDengine 3 to push the graphical limits of what the PlayStation hardware can display. The console is fresh and has some innovative solutions that we're looking forward to using in our game” said Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED studio.

Yesterday Sony confirmed the release of their new console and distinguished CD Projekt RED as one of the developers creating games for the new platform.

“It’s a real pleasure to cooperate with Sony. Combining CD Projekt RED’s unique artistic vision and tech with the capabilities of PlayStation 4 will make The Witcher 3 a truly next-gen RPG. With Sony's new hardware and our new engine, there are no limits to what we can create in the process of realizing our vision for Geralt's dark fantasy world,” commented Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt SA.

Earlier this month, Game Informer revealed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and called it “a must see next generation RPG”. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be the most robust and breathtaking game ever created by CD Projekt RED, combining a free-roaming environment with a non-linear story which makes the game a real RPG fan’s dream come true. Open world exploration is an adventure in itself as the player will gallop through war-ravaged lands, sail misty waters, and track down dangerous beasts for money. An improved combat system will allow players to feel like a real monster hunter, a witcher, who uses his superior senses and fighting skills to survive in a dark fantasy world while he embarks on a quest to save his loved ones.

Studio head Adam Badowski summed up, “The Witcher 3 will be released in 2014 simultaneously on all high-end platforms available. We know that our fans are looking forward to that date already, but we want to make it clear that this story is a standalone, and we will be sure introduce newcomers fully to the world so that they don't miss a beat. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will start with an breathtaking opening, which will give many insights to the lore. The game design will allow smooth introduction to new characters and encourage players to discover the vast, living open world of this installment of Geralt’s tale."

Again that was one day after the PS4 annoucnement.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

If, then Sony paid them a lot of money to go "The PS4 is the only console powerful enough to run it". How well did Witcher do on 360? (I actually expect it to come out on both consoles but its fun to theorize.)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust

@darji: they can change, but there is nothing solid to confirm this suspicion.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@darji: they can, but there is nothing solid to confirm this suspicion.

Yes. They are declining talking about it and B. They are totally anti DRM. and they would lose their whole image and this will hurt them drastically.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jeust said:

Id give up talking to darji. All of his recent posts are smashing on anything to do with the XboxOne. Even know we still do not know everything about eaither console.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

Id give up talking to darji. All of his recent posts are smashing on anything to do with the XboxOne. Even know we still do not know everything about eaither console.

this is not smashing its called reasoning. Seriously tell me one reason why they should change their stance on DRM if they could lose tons of costumers with that? Why should they change their believe to offer DLC for free which you can not do with Microsoft. There are only positives to go this route. They keep their reputation, they even could self publish their game as well. A thing that they had a lot of trouble with the 360 version as well.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@darji: Nothing you have ever posted on these forums has been reasonable.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gike987
    @nictel said:

If, then Sony paid them a lot of money to go "The PS4 is the only console powerful enough to run it". How well did Witcher do on 360? (I actually expect it to come out on both consoles but its fun to theorize.)

I remember it performing really badly, like less than 500.000 copies compared to over 2 million on the PC.

CD Projekt are very anti DRM, they even patched out the DRM from the retail version against Namco's will. CD Projekt also run GOG and one of their main selling point are DRM free games, they even tweeted this after the Xbox reveal. It would not surprise me at all if they choose to not support the Xbox One.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji: Nothing you have ever posted on these forums has been reasonable.

I am just not living in a delusional fantasy world that is all.

And now back to topic please,

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gike987 said:
    @nictel said:

I remember it performing really badly, like less than 500.000 copies compared to over 2 million on the PC.

CD Projekt are very anti DRM, they even patched out the DRM from the retail version against Namco's will. CD Projekt also run GOG and one of their main selling point are DRM free games, they even tweeted this after the Xbox reveal. It would not surprise me at all if they choose to not support the Xbox One.

I didn't know CD Projekt runs GOG. Good for them to still release Witcher on Steam. Hmm so going the route of a sequel selling less then its predecessor a switch to PS4 isn't that strange. Also considering a lot of people (I think) will own both a 360 and a PS3 at this point. So the amount of sales they would lose is minimal.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeust

@darji said:

@jeust said:

Yes. They are declining talking about it and B. They are totally anti DRM. and they would lose their whole image and this will hurt them drastically.

Are they declining to talk about it, or not talking about it? About B. it's not their DRM, or even if in fact there is a DRM system in place in the game, since the software security system needn't be on the game itself and instead on the console software. Like the Xbox console reading the registration number and contacting the Microsoft server about how to run the game.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@bell_end: I'm pretty sure that they eventually gave owners of the steam version a DRM free copy anyway

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@bell_end said:

@humanity said:

why is it best played on a PC. i played TW2 on a 360 controller

TW2 was best on PC for performance reasons. I'm not sure where we'll be at when TW3 comes out, but based on what I've seen, the Xbone would be competitive with a fairly modern gaming PC right now at best. PS4 might be a different story.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bell_end: I played it on 360 also and I think the menus for inventory, skills and such were a little rough. Great game though.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darji

@shinboy630 said:

@bell_end: I'm pretty sure that they eventually gave owners of the steam version a DRM free copy anyway

Yes you got a free copy on GOG as well even with your steam purchase.

As for Witcher 2. I played it on the PC but I also tried my PS3 controller which worked fine as well. Just because you have it on the PC does not mean you can not play it with a controller.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

@darji said:

@jeust said:

Are they declining to talk about it, or not talking about it? About B. it's not their DRM, or even if in fact there is a DRM system in place in the game, since the software security system needn't be on the game itself and instead on the console software. Like the Xbox console reading the registration number and contacting the Microsoft server about how to run the game.

I read the first post more carefully and Projekt RED did refuse to talk. But that can mean a world of things, including a big reveal, in the way that Microsoft has done before, with third party games in their presentation at E3.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By iamjohn

It also helps to remember that there's two mitigating factors here:

1) CDProjekt is Polish, and PlayStation still very much runs the show in terms of consoles in Continental Europe (though 360 did much better in the UK), so this is them throwing support behind the console they think their audience is more likely to buy.

2) After Witcher 2 didn't come to PS3 because of the chaos with Cell, offering support for the new system is a big vote of confidence from the PC development community. Sony systems have always been notoriously difficult to develop for compared to PC and other consoles; Sony was just so dominant with the first two PlayStations that it simply didn't matter. With the 360, they were given a console based on PC architecture that could more easily run the games they were already creating with less development time and effort than having to recode a game to play nice with the Cell processor. I'm sure it's less about sticking it to Microsoft and more about the development community acknowledging that they think Sony is on the right track after years of missteps.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Chances are high based upon what evidence?

Apparently its immoral to support the Xbox One.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Actually, they had to go through a third party publisher to help them distribute the game in the consoles and something tells me that Microsoft's policies probably didn't make it possible for them to publish it themselves. They had a different publishers for 4 territories Spike Chusoft in Japan, Warner Bros. Interactive in NA and Australia, and Namco Bandai Games in Europe. It's also very well known now that Sony does let indie companies self-publish on their platform and that it's not the case with Microsoft. You'd probably have to go through a third-party publisher OR you let them publish it (Microsoft Studios) which would also mean that it would have to be a timed exclusive on the platform. That's probably the reason why CDProjektRed are still mum as to the status of the XB1 version.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: I doubt it was a policy issue. It was very likely a distribution issue.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GaspoweR

@scroll: Good point. The scenario that I was presenting was more of me speculating though so hopefully that's not the case. I have a PC anyway (:D :D :D) so I'll still be buying that version=. Something tells me that the Witcher 3 is going to blow up next gen, and it might become the "Oblivion" of the next-gen similar to how Oblivion blew up during the 360 launch window. Very excited to see what happens. CDProjektRed deserve the recognition and hopefully this translates to sales as well if TW3: The Wild Hunt turns out to be a spectacular game.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Brendan

Remember how Sony hasn't announced their policies regarding DRM on the PS4 yet? That's right, you haven't.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: Well I'd say distribution due to many publishers the size of CDproject avoid distributing in Europe themselves. And yeah it looks like it'll a superb game and mostly likely quite accessible for newcomers.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is some real conspiracy theory/paranoia nonsense. CDPR wouldn't skip out on half of the console market just to "make a statement" or "maintain their image" about DRM. I mean, give me a break.

I'll remember this thread so I can come back and say I told you so in the coming weeks. Seriously guys, I thought you were smarter than this. Stop with the witch hunt, it's embarrassing.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm fairly confident it will be released on the xbox one because why the fuck not? You need a really good reason to cut out that much profit.

It's not like they didn't try DRM, they just abandoned it because their company isn't mostly comprised of idiots in suits with no fucking clue and realised it actually does more harm than good with consumers and does nothing to thwart drm. If you take a look at the top pirated games of the last 5 years i can just about guarantee 9/10 of them were the ones with the most vocal DRM campaigns.

I don't see them not releasing it just on some silly anti drm principles, saying "they don't need the money" is fucking ridiculous business sense and a thought that no legitimate and successful company operates under. Everyones talking about it now, but i guarantee after the consoles release - most will accept the console for what it is and the changing times.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is some real conspiracy theory/paranoia nonsense. CDPR wouldn't skip out on half of the console market just to "make a statement" or "maintain their image" about DRM. I mean, give me a break.

I'll remember this thread so I can come back and say I told you so in the coming weeks. Seriously guys, I thought you were smarter than this. Stop with the witch hunt, it's embarrassing.

Yes they do exactly this. Their whole Company is build on this philosophy. If they just would betray this thinking they would be done for these people really believe in their Philosophy. Also do not forget that they actually praised Sony for giving them Devkits so early and how easy it is to work with them.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By nightriff

Could be at Micro's E3 Conference....HAHAHAHAHA what am I saying? That is for Kinect games of course

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.