Witcher 3 Screenshots

#1 Edited by Aegon (5638 posts) -
#2 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2009 posts) -

It still has at least a year to come out dude.

Also, it's not in motion. One of the best things about TW2's visuals was light and how it related to the camera's motion, y'know? Not like the textures were bad or anything, but if you didn't get the stupid vegetation pop-in then in motion it looked bananas.

#3 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

They said in the article that they are still using the renderer from W2 in this game for the time being. So it's early to pick at the visuals.

I think this announcement was a bit rushed because they wanted the GI cover and this is when they could get it. You have to think with next gen coming and much bigger games as far as budget and marketing on the way that GI must be booked up. My speculation there but I think it's probably accurate..

But I think it'll look better but also I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't that much better looking than W2. But it'll be a full open world that's bigger than Skyrim... so yeah. That scale and streaming comes at a price.

#4 Edited by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

It comes out in 2014...

EDIT: Also those pictures looks fucking incredible.

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11021 posts) -

He's riding a boat! And there's a whale!

SO EXCITED! AAAAAAAAA!

#6 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

SO EXCITED! AAAAAAAAA!

Imagine some big gnarly monster like the Kayran just attacking your boat dynamically?

eeeeekkkk

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

It comes out in 2014...

EDIT: Also those pictures looks fucking incredible.

@MooseyMcMan said:

SO EXCITED! AAAAAAAAA!

#8 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1852 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

SO EXCITED! AAAAAAAAA!

Imagine some big gnarly monster like the Kayran just attacking your boat dynamically?

eeeeekkkk

what if you can take a "dont get pneumonia/hypothermia" potion and swim underwater and find all sorts of cool stuff beneath the frozen seas

oh god im so ready i am practically squirming give this game to me already

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

I think it looks great.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

It's more than a year away. And I think it looks pretty exceptional.

#11 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

Graphics look good but honestly if that is what is of most concern to you, you are missing what the Witcher is about.

Either way I hope this game is good, and I do not really have any doubts as to why it wouldn't!

#12 Posted by Aegon (5638 posts) -

@BillyTheKid said:

Graphics look good but honestly if that is what is of most concern to you, you are missing what the Witcher is about.

Either way I hope this game is good, and I do not really have any doubts as to why it wouldn't!

It's all that can be gleaned from screenshots. You know, since they're not gameplay videos.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I'm so excited for this game I almost put down something rancid here.

Excuse me while I change panties.

#14 Posted by Tennmuerti (8102 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

SO EXCITED! AAAAAAAAA!

I want to witcher that whale.

(kill for $)

#15 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@BillyTheKid said:

It's all that can be gleaned from screenshots. You know, since they're not gameplay videos.

Ya I know, I was not trying to be a pretentious asshole or anything. Just making a point that even if the game looks "bad" now that it does not speak to the quality of the gameplay itself.

#16 Posted by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

Yes! YES!

#17 Posted by mrfluke (5154 posts) -

its probably going to be more about scale if anything else. so weill see more vast open areas that wouldnt be possible in witcher 2 for the 360.

also game isnt coming out for another year. and according to jeff and the crew, optimizations are the last thing to happen.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@BillyTheKid said:

@Aegon said:

@BillyTheKid said:

Ya I know, I was not trying to be a pretentious asshole or anything. Just making a point that even if the game looks "bad" now that it does not speak to the quality of the gameplay itself.

Except it doesn't look bad, OP has some crazy standards or something. The towns and interiors look incredible and are basically on par with what Witcher 2 has pumped out.

Only off looking thing was Geralt going up against that troll looking thing, but as people said, this game still has a ways to go and it already looks great.

#19 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@BillyTheKid said:

@Aegon said:

@BillyTheKid said:

Except it doesn't look bad, OP has some crazy standards or something. The towns and interiors look incredible and are basically on par with what Witcher 2 has pumped out.

Only off looking thing was Geralt going up against that troll looking thing, but as people said, this game still has a ways to go and it already looks great.

Yes, the game looks amazing by my account. And the art style I like a lot, the darkness of it, but still having a lot of color is something I have mad respect for. As far as the Troll thing, what is that? I do not see it in the link.

As far as what the game looks like now, and looks damn good, plus two years of work and it should be even awesomer.

#20 Posted by Tennmuerti (8102 posts) -

On a serious note I fully expect Witcher 3 to look almost exactly like Witcher 2 in terms of graphical prowess an beauty. The difference is the scale.

That difference of scale and making those phenomenal graphics work in a huge open world is already a pretty bold task. People frequently underestimate how much scale and freedom cost. It's the reason why for example a fixed camera, linear, highly segmented game like say God of War 3 can look as good as it does on ancient PS3 hardware. With increased scope (and freedom) come vastly increased processing requirements.

#21 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@BillyTheKid: It's the first picture. Well it isn't exactly a troll like the actual trolls in Witcher 2. It's just some big monster.

@Tennmuerti said:

On a serious note I fully expect Witcher 3 to look almost exactly like Witcher 2 in terms of graphical prowess an beauty. The difference is the scale.

That difference of scale and making those phenomenal graphics work in a huge open world is already a pretty bold task. People frequently underestimate how much scale and freedom cost. It's the reason why for example a fixed camera, linear, highly segmented game like say God of War 3 can look as good as it does on ancient PS3 hardware. With increased scope (and freedom) come vastly increased processing requirements.

Yeah I agree, the Witcher 2 is a looker and it helped that the game is basically linear but with somewhat large environments, taking that and expanding it to an open world format is seriously ambitious. I was glad that I could finally run that game well at 1080 with my 660 ti but it looks like it's going to shit the bed again when that game comes out, I'll probably have to drop back the resolution again.

#22 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie: Oh ya the lighting there looks really gross around the fire ball actually. I think that Gerald's stance is strange because he is running forward. If he is supposed to be stationary then that is really weird.

#23 Edited by Pr1mus (3910 posts) -

Yeah plenty of times left to improve visuals. Plus if the game really does end up being 30 times the size of The Witcher 2 and an actual open world i would be extremely surprised to see it looking significantly better than The Witcher 2. Not that it needs too either, that game still looks stunning.

#24 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

@Aegon: The game's set to be in an open world larger than Skyrim's so I'd accept the game looking 'just' as good as The Witcher 2 if that's the case.

#25 Posted by Aegon (5638 posts) -

@Vitor said:

@Aegon: The game's set to be in an open world larger than Skyrim's so I'd accept the game looking 'just' as good as The Witcher 2 if that's the case.

Yeah, I'm not poo poo-ing on the game. I know it's harder to make something this ambitious look as good as Witcher 2. I was just pointing out that it doesn't yet and I hope it does by the end (or even better, if they can manage it).

#26 Posted by anywhereilay (145 posts) -

I think it looks great. One thing I hope doesn't happen which some open world games fall victim to, is too many re-used assets, ala Skyrim.  

That's what I loved about The Witcher 2, while there wasn't that many different locales they all felt varied and unique.

#27 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

If it looks as good as The Witcher 2 (which it does) then that's fine, it's still the best looking game out and probably will be in 2014 still. (Until this)

People were getting all excited about Watchdogs, but pfft, Witcher 2 looked better.

#28 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

@Artemesia said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

SO EXCITED! AAAAAAAAA!

eeeeekkkk

what if you can take a "dont get pneumonia/hypothermia" potion and swim underwater and find all sorts of cool stuff beneath the frozen seas

oh god im so ready i am practically squirming give this game to me already

You know I hadn't even considered swimming.

I'd be surprised if it was in there but who knows.

#29 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

I have no doubt that this game will look incredible when it comes out.

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Wow, this game looks fucking AMAZING!!!

#31 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -

It may be pre-alpha graphics, but just saying, if the "larger than Skyrim" world looks like what is in the third (landscape shot), then man, things aren't looking so good. Otherwise I don't mind an open-world Witcher 2 with exactly the same graphics.

#32 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I think it looks really good especially considering how early it is in development. Witcher 2 is one of the top games I played last year. I thought that game looked awesome and this was the 360 edition. Regardless of how it looks I can't see this game disappointing me they have such a sweet combat system to build off of. Not to mention how badass Geralt is. One of my favorite characters.

#33 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1975 posts) -

Look at the blood streaming off his sword in the 2nd last screenshot, HOLY SHIT!

#34 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

not enough computer boobs

#35 Edited by GaspoweR (3030 posts) -

I remember the Alpha video they had for the Witcher 2 (which was leaked and wasn't supposed to be shown to the public). It already looked pretty good then but the final product just looked fuckin' beautiful, man.

#36 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

The pics look good, and a lot of those assets are probably placeholders considering how early they are into development

#37 Posted by Raven10 (1790 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

This. It will probably look better in certain ways. I would have to assume they'll be using DX11 for this one but it can only look so good when you can go anywhere at any time. Streaming content is not easy. But we are talking next gen consoles and PC's in two years, so I have a feeling it will look at least somewhat better than The Witcher 2. Plus, as others have said, they are as much as two years away from releasing this thing. Since they are building the engine concurrently with the game, the game will continue to look better as new features are added to the engine.

#38 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@Vitor said:

Yeah, I'm not poo poo-ing on the game. I know it's harder to make something this ambitious look as good as Witcher 2. I was just pointing out that it doesn't yet and I hope it does by the end (or even better, if they can manage it).

Yeah, I think they've also said that we should expect thing to look significantly better come release time. While The Witcher 2 gave a decent impression of being somewhat open, the game itself was highly sectioned off in places so the fact that they've already got a seamless open world going is highly impressive to me.

I've no doubt that the fancy shaders and graphical effects will come soon. The game is over a year away after all.

#39 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I'm amazed how instead of talking about the content of the screenshots everyone is obsessing about placeholders and graphical bullshit.

Internet forums suck man.

#40 Posted by Funkydupe (3319 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: You suck, COP!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.