Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

I have a bunch of Witcher questions! *spoilers*

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

So i've been playing the game for a couple of months now, right now im in the beginning-middle of chapter 3 and i have a few things i need to ask. 
    Now i realize that in an RPG, not everything is certain or set in stone, and that one of the elements of the RPG experience is the random and dynamic progression element that is unique and based on the player's decisions and playstyle. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask and get some shit straight!  

(The spoilers are of chapter 2 and 3)

Aw yeah.
     Aw yeah.

1. Armor: I've been wearing the same piece of armor since the beginning of the game. I frequent all kinds of merchants and i haven't seen any armor to buy.. How do i upgrade my armor ? 
    2. Weapon hotkeys: Q pulls out your steel sword, E pulls out the silver. Is there a key to quick-holster the sword? 
    3. Health: My health drains quickly during combat. I successfully chain my attacks, always use the correct stances, and i evade and jump around a lot, yet i feel like when i have more than 5 men around me, my health drains too quick. I take the necessary potions but they need a while to kick in so they don't really help.. How do i enhance my health? I got all my shit upgraded in the skill tree menu, everything is well spent and wisely divided among the several categories, yet I don't feel the improvements in game. 
    Could it be just the armor? That it needs upgrading like i said in #1 ? 

4. Inventory: I have like 5 different rune stones filling valuable space in my inventory and waiting for their matches (the rest of the stones for a stone combo) so they can be used. But i can't find those matches.. I'm getting tired of them, but i don't wanna throw them. What did you do with those lonely stones?  
    Also, i have a lot of bomb oils, yet i still haven't learned how to create bombs. What do i do with those oils? Is there a place/a book to go/read and learn how to create bombs?

5. Books: I'm having a hard time finding books on plants and beasts. I frequent ALL the merchants in all the towns i go through (trade quarter, temple quarter, the village before that) And i can't seem to find any books to help me finish the SEVEN beast-hunting contracts i have.. 
    I need Archespore, Echinops, Graveir and Kikimore currently (the other 3 i can't find in the world). Where do i get books on them? I tried all alchemists and merchants.  
    And please don't tell me that i can get the books/info from random strangers, that never happens. They either repeat non-conversational one-liners (that appear above their heads as text) or their dialogue options are about literally nothing.

6. Plot: I'm a bit confused as to what the hell is going on in this game. Half the quests in my journal are static, consist of nothing but geralt's deductions and "general purpose", nothing specific to help me begin my search somewhere. It's just "i found out" or "i should do this" ... Is this normal? Should i just keep going with whatever i'm doing and let the game unravel on its own ?  
    I feel the game wants me to explore the Salamandra's hide outs better, but i scoured the entire sewers and busted their underground drug factory, and i'm finishing them off in the swamp currently.. Is this mission flow OK? 
    Also, there's so much shit about Thane and the princess's bodyguard and the fat rich merchant, so many conspiracies and so much politics. Should i bother with that stuff or let it unravel when the time is right? 

7. Swamp monsters: Those monsters can lay you down and fuck you up. Huge crawling spider-like beast, all kinds of other freaky creatures. At what point am i supposed to conquer the swamp? Defeat those creatures easily? is it too early to tackle them yet?

Thanks for any answers!
    zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zungerman090
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  
    1. Armor: Once you get 5000 Orens, you can buy a studded leather armour from Order's/Dwarf merchant. After that, you can do a quest later on that gives you the best armour in the game. 
    2. I am not so sure about putting the sword away, but I am pretty sure that you move faster with your sword drawn.  
    3. It is probably the armour. Just get the studded leather one and it will help you a lot. 
    4. I am pretty sure that you can mix any combination of three runestones and brand them into your silver sword. Later on you get something better, so just go ahead. As for bombs, I am pretty sure that you have to spend some points in the Wisdom  (or whatever it was called) tree 
    5. There is an antiquary in the Temple Quarter. I am sure that he has all the books that you may need. Archespores and Echinopses are covered in the Curses and the Cursed and Graveirs are covered in The Tome of Fear and Loathing Vol 1 and lastly, Kikimores are covered in The Wonderful World of Insectoids (this one you get in the Trade Quarter from the Bookseller) 
    6. Just take it easy. You may not understand the game first time, but that makes replaying it so much better, right? 
    7. Just run away if you are feeling swamped by the enemies (pardon the pun). Swallow and White Raffard's Concoction are your best friends. Also, apply some diamond dust or whetting stones to your blades. That helps out  a bit
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Ahmad_Metallic:

In addition to what @zungerman090: said:

3. Use the shield sign to help you migitate dammage. Don't neglect poisons/oils, they increase damamge by a huge margin and effects like bleed, poison etc stack and also decrease enemy defences. Armor will help but it's not a huge diferentiator.

4. Slot the runes asap! you can mix and match. Use the oils on the swords, like mentioned above they make a very very big difference in your killing power. The first Witcher can be a relatively challanging game without use of oils, but as soon as you start to smartly applying their effects it becomes ridiculously easy, people had to mod in 2-4 extra difficulty levels becouse even hard is a complete joke with proper use of oils.

5. Additionally you will also gain monster knowledge as you kill them. It's way slower method then books, but it's an option.

6. Yea it's pretty mormal to have a lot of quests at the same time in the first Witcher. Don't sweat it. As for the main plot, yes it will unravel as you go along, at least the parts that are important.

7. Those spider fuckers are the toughest standard mosters in the game. As long as you use magic signs, oils, etc they become rote. I would only suggest tackling the swamp after you clear up as many quests as possible in the city.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dingofighter

Press TAB to sheathe your weapon, or just click the face icon above the sword icon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.