Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

The Witcher on PS3 and 360.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I was somewhat hesitant to make this thread, as I just wrote a bit already but erased it. Anyways, I'm just wondering, did anyone else catch the news about this being on consoles as well, and if so, why hasn't anyone until now reported it here? Was it not worth it, or did people not catch it? That's what I'm wondering. For me personally, I don't have a powerful enough PC to play many games on anymore, so I can't really play either of the Witcher games on PC as I would have preferred, and even though there were quite a few people that told me I don't need to play the first to understand and/or enjoy the second, I would like to do so, so I never really cared to try and play the 360 version of The Witcher 2. I'm going to put links here and see if anyone else had seen this, if so, is there something I don't know, like they already denied such a thing. I don't know, here.

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/21509/the-witcher-rise-of-the-white-wolf-headed-for-console

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/05/29/looks-like-the-witcher-might-come-to-consoles-soon/

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/05/29/rumor-the-witcher-1-coming-to-ps3-listed-by-retailers/

http://www.videogamer.com/news/cd_projekt_will_not_announce_witcher_1_for_consoles_tomorrow.html

Alright, I think that's enough. I just Google-d it and got these few, and sorry if it's too many, but I just wanted to post it to show that there are a lot of game sites that got this, and I find it a bit weird how no one here has had anything to say about it. Maybe it's not news worth talking about, if that's true, sorry about this.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

I watched the conference and I don't remember them mentioning this even a little bit.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@AlexW00d: They said they wouldn't.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

I do remember that they wanted to port it a while back but something went wrong and it never happened.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @NTM said:

Did anyone else catch the news about this being on consoles as well, and if so, why hasn't anyone until now reported it here? Was it not worth it, or did people not catch it?

It's because Witcher 2 exists. Witcher 2 is popular, pretty, has good combat, and Mass Effect 2 narrative. Which turned the masterpiece The Witcher into a niche piece of shit to people because it's the older game, because it had some jank, and because it didn't aspire to being Mass Effect-popular and wanted to do its own thing with narrative and level design. 

It's like this: Imagine Crysis 2 was also a PC exclusive like Crysis 1, and that a year after its release, it gets ported to consoles. All the focus will be on it because it's the new game. If Crysis would've been ported to consoles after the sequel was, no one would pay attention to it. 

Either way, The Witcher is literally one of the greatest games, one of the greatest immersive experiences, and one of the greatest stories I've ever played. I hope it well sell on consoles and I hope you console guys enjoy it.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic: oh my god! Do you come into every witcher related thread and shit on witcher 2? jesus christ man, you don't like it, let it go.

Anyway, you console players better hope they make the combat not shit.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Animasta  said: 

@AhmadMetallic: oh my god! Do you come into every witcher related thread and shit on witcher 2? jesus christ man, you don't like it, let it go.

Ok my turn: "Oh my god, do you not get sick of talking absolute bullshit everywhere?"  

Ahem... 
    @AhmadMetallic  said: 
    Witcher 2 is popular, pretty, has good combat, and Mass Effect 2 narrative. 
    That ^ is called praise. 
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Animasta said:

Ok my turn: "Oh my god, do you not get sick of talking absolute bullshit everywhere?"

Ahem...
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    Witcher 2 is popular, pretty, has good combat, and Mass Effect 2 narrative.
    That ^ is called praise.

Alright, calm down.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@believer258: Yeah, that was back in 09 though right?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

@NTM said:

Did anyone else catch the news about this being on consoles as well, and if so, why hasn't anyone until now reported it here? Was it not worth it, or did people not catch it?

It's because Witcher 2 exists. Witcher 2 is popular, pretty, has good combat, and Mass Effect 2 narrative. Which turned the masterpiece The Witcher into a niche piece of shit to people because it's the older game, because it had some jank, and because it didn't aspire to being Mass Effect-popular and wanted to do its own thing with narrative and level design.

It's like this: Imagine Crysis 2 was also a PC exclusive like Crysis 1, and that a year after its release, it gets ported to consoles. All the focus will be on it because it's the new game. If Crysis would've been ported to consoles after the sequel was, no one would pay attention to it. Either way, The Witcher is literally one of the greatest games, one of the greatest immersive experiences, and one of the greatest stories I've ever played. I hope it well sell on consoles and I hope you console guys enjoy it.

Crysis 1 is on consoles, I bought it sometime in October of 2011 sometime after Crysis 2 came out. Thought you ought to know.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@NTM said:

It's like this: Imagine Crysis 2 was also a PC exclusive like Crysis 1, and that a year after its release, it gets ported to consoles. All the focus will be on it because it's the new game. If Crysis would've been ported to consoles after the sequel was, no one would pay attention to it. Either way, The Witcher is literally one of the greatest games, one of the greatest immersive experiences, and one of the greatest stories I've ever played. I hope it well sell on consoles and I hope you console guys enjoy it.

Crysis 1 is on consoles, I bought it sometime in October of 2011 sometime after Crysis 2 came out. Thought you ought to know.

Yeah, kind of weird. Unless this is not what he was saying.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @believer258: I know that, i was speaking theoretically, making an analogy is all.
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By RedRoach

CDPR hired another team to port it, when they checked in they were unsatisfied and cancelled it, that was a few years ago. Although I would love to see the project revived.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258: I know that, i was speaking theoretically, making an analogy is all.

All right, but it kind of falls apart when the opposite of what you said actually did happen. You might be better off describing why Baldur's Gate 2 probably wouldn't be as popular as Dragon Age Origins on consoles, though if that one did happen you might also be proven wrong again since DAO did sell well on consoles. And then they turned around and changed it in Dragon Age 2 and it was often considered bad by both console and PC gamers.

You seem to really underestimate some console gamers. It's more accessible and therefore easier for people of.... lesser intelligence to use, certainly, but that doesn't reflect all console users. It's almost insulting sometimes.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258: I know that, i was speaking theoretically, making an analogy is all.

All right, but it kind of falls apart when the opposite of what you said actually did happen. You might be better off describing why Baldur's Gate 2 probably wouldn't be as popular as Dragon Age Origins on consoles, though if that one did happen you might also be proven wrong again since DAO did sell well on consoles. And then they turned around and changed it in Dragon Age 2 and it was often considered bad by both console and PC gamers.

You seem to really underestimate some console gamers. It's more accessible and therefore easier for people of.... lesser intelligence to use, certainly, but that doesn't reflect all console users. It's almost insulting sometimes.

Ok let me explain what I'm saying: 

I said, imagine if, instead of the reality we have today (Crysis PC exclusive -> Crysis 2 multiplat -> Crysis 1 ports), THIS happened: Crysis 1 PC exclusive, Crysis 2 PC exclusive -> Crysis 2 ports -> Crysis 1 ports). 
    If THAT had happened, people wouldn't care about the Crysis 1 console port because Crysis 2's console port overshadows it. 
    Which is my point. Witcher 2's console version overshadows the upcoming Witcher 1 console port(s), answering @NTM 's question about why no one is making a fuss about it. 

Secondly, where did I say anything about accessibility and console gamers? I'm saying the NEWER game in a series gets more attention (when ported after being an exclusive), not the more accessible one.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @believer258 said:

I do remember that they wanted to port it a while back but something went wrong and it never happened.

They wanted to port it but the company they had do it did such a bad job they scrapped it. 
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Ok let me explain what I'm saying:

I said, imagine if, instead of the reality we have today (Crysis PC exclusive -> Crysis 2 multiplat -> Crysis 1 ports), THIS happened: Crysis 1 PC exclusive, Crysis 2 PC exclusive -> Crysis 2 ports -> Crysis 1 ports).
    If THAT had happened, people wouldn't care about the Crysis 1 console port because Crysis 2's console port overshadows it.
    Which is my point. Witcher 2's console version overshadows the upcoming Witcher 1 console port(s), answering @NTM 's question about why no one is making a fuss about it. Secondly, where did I say anything about accessibility and console gamers? I'm saying the NEWER game in a series gets more attention (when ported after being an exclusive), not the more accessible one.

Here:

Witcher 2 is popular, pretty, has good combat, and Mass Effect 2 narrative. Which turned the masterpiece The Witcher into a niche piece of shit to people because it's the older game, because it had some jank, and because it didn't aspire to being Mass Effect-popular and wanted to do its own thing with narrative and level design.

and I just got the vibe from this that you were talking down to anyone who liked the simplification of Mass Effect 2 or Witcher 2, which generally leads to a dislike and blame of console players; a bit presumptuous on my part but then you assume that if Crysis 2 had been on PC first that it wouldn't have been the same as it is now. So my presumptions weren't so wrong.

Your original analogy was a bit of a communication, though even if things had gone as you suggest, I don't see how it would have been any different. The Witcher 2 has a lot of new fans thanks to the port and a port of Witcher 1 would probably sell to a good number of those fans, which is what would have happened to Crysis.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

No, but this was announced this year.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falserelic

@NTM: If it does comes out on console. I'll be interested in checking it out. People kept raving about the fun gameplay and sex scenes. So now I got to see for myself.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MideonNViscera

Wow, I`m glad you guys got that analogy straightened out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@falserelic: It was never officially announced, but places like Blockbuster and a place called Cool Shop both have it listed in their inventory for later release on PS3 and 360. This was (as you'll see) from May, but it may still be prevalent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.