A Rough Sketch: The Witness

• 95 results
#51 Posted by JimmyRedd (52 posts) -

Hahaha, Now I have to play Gabriel Knight 3.

I predict the story for this one will be an obtuse retelling of the Kennedy Assassination.

#52 Posted by aceofspudz (915 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

@chiablo said:
Is it going to be as annoyingly pretentious as Braid was?
...Do you really have to ask? Jonathan Blow is someone who has been at the forefront of both the indie scene and the "games are art" platform for a while now. Honestly, I couldn't care what sort of lame metaphor for man's inhumanity to man this ends up being, as long as the puzzles are good like Braid.

Like the best artists, Blow can capture the interest of people who don't care about what he has to say.

#53 Posted by Grilledcheez (3942 posts) -

I can't wait to play it

#54 Posted by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

@Surkov said:

I think TinyGallon was commenting on wanting to stay in the dark about the game(as am I). I know I'm going to buy it, so I'd rather be completely surprised when it finally comes out. It's not a matter of laziness.

Exactly!! This + Journey are two games I don't want to know a THING about.

#55 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

The Myst comparison doesn't do much for me, as I've never played it, but I'm very excited for this game. I named Braid as GotY a few years back, and Blow's next title is most certainly on the top of my most anticipated list.
#56 Posted by blacklab (1522 posts) -

Braid never really pulled me in, but I have to admit this looks fairly interesting.

#57 Posted by Waffles13 (606 posts) -

I really hope this "placeholder" art either doesn't change or keep the same sort of tone; it seems almost like a less-cartoon-y TF2 in a really good way.

#58 Posted by ch3burashka (4993 posts) -
@Milkman said:

It's not really your fault Ryan but after reading this, I still have absolutely no idea what this game is.

It's Myst with audio logs. 

#59 Posted by DavoTron (147 posts) -

@TinyGallon: OH MAN READING IS SO HARD. I WISH I WAS SPOONFED INFOMATION.

#60 Posted by Taiyo (60 posts) -

In Blow I trust.

#61 Posted by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

@DavoTron: Nice! Speaking of reading comprehension, try working on yours. I want to avoid spoilers big guy ;)

#62 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

There are a couple spots where it looks rough like that sandstone wall that is crumbled and some of the big rocks, but otherwise I really dig the look of the game. Kind of a retro CG look to it.

#63 Edited by HellBrendy (992 posts) -

He needs to make a game about vacuumcleaners.  

Jonathan Blow's Sucks

#64 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

Great piece. I'm very curious to see what's on the guy's mind after Braid. Say what you will about his smugness, but i think his constantly high ambitions are commendable.

#65 Posted by RareMonkey (103 posts) -
@Mesoian: I always put that line in marv alberts voice and then finish it off with "YESSS!". 
#66 Edited by mnzy (2911 posts) -

This really spoke to me, he did it before when he talked about how the puzzle mechanics in Braid were intended to work.
I play many puzzle games, hard ones, too. And very often in a game, the hard part is to find out what its rules are, not the actual solving of the problem.
And that should't be the case...we don't play chess or football with different rules everytime. We know the rules in and out and the games situation carry the action. 
Sure, you can introduce and change rules, but then that should be a game, too.

And I think game developers are mainly craftsmen, not artists, I guess that's what people mistake him for.

#67 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Eh.

The rewind mechanic in Braid was neat (and some of the puzzles played off it pretty well), but it didn't really do anything new, the story was gross, and the music was ripped straight from Wal-Mart Celtic Woman compilation CDs.

What I'm getting from this article is, "line-tracing puzzles in a locked-room scenario, like he combined two Flash games into one." Is it really just line-tracing the whole way through?

#68 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

I am looking forward to this game, and I liked braid, but can we stop talking about Jonathan Blow as if he's some kind of indie-game superhero genius or something?

#69 Posted by NME (45 posts) -

I've been awaiting Jonathan Blow's next game ever since I was spoon-fed the solutions for the majority of Braid. I look forward to its (inevitable?) inclusion in next year's summer of Arcade.

#70 Posted by Taiyo (60 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

Eh. The rewind mechanic in Braid was neat (and some of the puzzles played off it pretty well), but it didn't really do anything new, the story was gross, and the music was ripped straight from Wal-Mart Celtic Woman compilation CDs. What I'm getting from this article is, "line-tracing puzzles in a locked-room scenario, like he combined two Flash games into one." Is it really just line-tracing the whole way through?

You might want to read some of the write-ups on other game sites if you want a better idea of the mechanics of the game. Maybe Ryan wanted to be intentionally vague as to not spoil the game. But if you're not sold on the idea and are interested, Gamasutra did a pretty lengthy preview/interview.

@Buckfitches said:

I am looking forward to this game, and I liked braid, but can we stop talking about Jonathan Blow as if he's some kind of indie-game superhero genius or something?

Some people actually think Jonathan Blow is a brilliant visionary in terms of meaningful game design: something which they feel is sorely lacking in today's big budget games. You're free to disagree, but don't start telling people what opinions they can and can't hold.

#71 Posted by emem (1960 posts) -

Sounds intriguing and I already love the clean and simple futuristic look, it somehow makes me think of Arcadia and Stark in the Longest Journey.

#72 Posted by ZmillA (2257 posts) -

awesome, i've been following the dev blog for awhile

#73 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I never did finish Braid, but I do quite love its concept and style. 

Anyways, the idea of a Metroidvania in which you are able to enter any door from the beginning, but you as the player just don't know how is very, very interesting.

#74 Posted by SmokePants (267 posts) -

I don't usually like to take extreme positions on games, but I hated Braid. That entire game was like being asked to build a ladder from scratch, and then when you did, you found out it still couldn't reach. You have to go dig up some rocks and prop them under the legs. The ladder keeps slipping off the rocks for the next ten minutes and then, finally, almost randomly, it stays in place and you could reach your goal. Not happy about it, just really really pissed off that the ladder wasn't good enough.

In that analogy, the ladder is the puzzle and the rocks were the crappy platforming and timing gameplay.

#75 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
@Milkman said:

It's not really your fault Ryan but after reading this, I still have absolutely no idea what this game is.

It's Myst with audio logs. 

Myst had better art direction. Much better. 
#76 Posted by selbie (1835 posts) -

I'm glad JB is trying to revitalise this genre. I just hope there is some variety to the puzzles.

#77 Posted by MormonWarrior (2534 posts) -

To all those complaining about the look of the game, read the last paragraphs. It's all just placeholder visuals to give you the idea, but it'll change a lot before release.

I enjoyed Braid alright, so I'll watch for this. I really, really hate Myst and all games like that though so I doubt I'll enjoy this.

#78 Posted by Zolfe (262 posts) -

the game makes more sense once you listen to this week's bombcast, this article left me confused at first

#79 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -
@Taiyo said:

Maybe Ryan wanted to be intentionally vague as to not spoil the game.

I would prefer to know more about the game, you know, so I can decide if it's worth 'not spoiling' in the first place. Plenty of games have been 'spoiled' in the past. What makes this one so special? Show, don't tell, people.
#80 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR WORDS, RYAN. WHEN'S IT COMING OUT.

#81 Posted by Taiyo (60 posts) -

@SmokePants said:

I don't usually like to take extreme positions on games, but I hated Braid. That entire game was like being asked to build a ladder from scratch, and then when you did, you found out it still couldn't reach. You have to go dig up some rocks and prop them under the legs. The ladder keeps slipping off the rocks for the next ten minutes and then, finally, almost randomly, it stays in place and you could reach your goal. Not happy about it, just really really pissed off that the ladder wasn't good enough.

In that analogy, the ladder is the puzzle and the rocks were the crappy platforming and timing gameplay.

Funny. I don't really remember any of the puzzles in Braid to require precise platforming or timing. Once you understand the puzzles, the solutions were pretty easy to execute.

#82 Posted by jasondesante (599 posts) -

I am looking forward to this game very much. It looks fucking great

#83 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I am 19 years old and don't know what Myst is. You compare this to myst constantly and the vague descriptions about what you actually do not help to give me a frame of reference.

#84 Posted by probablytuna (3525 posts) -

Looks good. Still haven't finished Braid yet..

#85 Posted by buttle826 (121 posts) -

I couldn't be more excited to play this game. I loved Braid, and this seems similarly cryptic. I really don't care for his brand of storytelling though. And thank God these art assists are placeholder, because they look a little... bland.

#86 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

Sounds kinda cool.

#87 Posted by TheLeamenator (146 posts) -
#88 Posted by Nictel (2369 posts) -

Excited.

#89 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

I'm confused: How exactly do you prestige?

#90 Posted by rmanthorp (3855 posts) -

Colour me 100% intrested!

Moderator Online
#91 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2375 posts) -

Looks very clean, like myst or Mirror's Edge. I can get behind that.

#92 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

" I was unable to make heads or tales of the cryptic audio recordings I found hidden across the island.  " 

@Ryan 'unable to make head nor tail'

#93 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@TheLeamenator said:

@Dany: Well, I am 17 and I very well know what Myst is. Shame on you...
http://www.giantbomb.com/myst/61-3970/
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obyfx3gi2aE

I know of it, I've seen pics and stuff and is kinda the weird turning point of pc games and puzzle games.

Still though. The game is a year away and J. Blow is showing @Ryan this stuff and allowing him to talk and write about it, but he is still being cryptic on details of puzzles.

#94 Posted by BitterAlmond (401 posts) -

I'm liking how this game is shaping up. I loved Myst, and this looks like it really might be a modern-day reimagination of that classic genre.

#95 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

I reserve my opinion on Blow as a person. As a game designer I love the guy. In a sea of drivel spewed out by the machines of EA and Activision I find his work refreshing and interesting. I like how deeply personal his games are to him and making them is some sort of therapy.

On a side note I hope the graphics don't change. I want to play a current gent game that makes me feel like I am in Reboot.

#96 Posted by RagingLion (1363 posts) -

My most anticipated game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.