Jonathan Blow's Next Game Is...

• 90 results
#51 Posted by InsanePotato (206 posts) -

Love braid (only just finished it last night) but man, he really does sound like a total wanker.

#52 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@kerikxi said:
" So they're making Myst? "
That's what I thought too.
#53 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

As long as the game is good it shouldn't matter what you think of him. One of my friends played through Braid completely ignoring the story and the puzzles alone were still enough to entertain him.

The only mentality problem I see here is on the part of the gamers. Like, you have to choose a side. He takes shots at plenty of games I happen to like in the description. So what? I hope The Witness and another 50 Cent game are released on the same day so I can get them both.

#54 Posted by Nate (705 posts) -

Late 2011!? Don't even bother telling anyone there's a game coming out when it's that far away.

#55 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1190 posts) -
@InsanePotato said:
" Love braid (only just finished it last night) but man, he really does sound like a total wanker. "
This was my first reaction too. Guy seems pretty far up his own ass.
#56 Edited by Sanj (2504 posts) -

This guy needs a slap in the face with a cold fish.
#57 Posted by SaucySala (346 posts) -

No girls with big tits? Count me out Mr. Blow.

#58 Posted by makari (600 posts) -

So if I submit a folio full of barbarian girls with big tits and axes covered in blood getting out of their alien spaceships into post apocalyptic wastelands and shooting giant robot-orc gangstas in the face I won't get the job? What a waste of inspiration.

#59 Edited by Lemmiwinks (47 posts) -

Braid was excellent. Good puzzles, beatiful music and mind-fucking ending. But dude's still a douche. listened to a audio recording 2 hours long on a presentation he had on art and story in games. Although he may have a point in that the story moves on triggers instead of being interactive i a lot of games; whatever! There is room for that too. Many of my favourite games a linear as shit, and i still enjoyed the story in Dragon Quest 5 and God of War 1 and 2 tremendously. And all that talk about games for non-profit; Give all the money from Braid away to charity, asshole. Big games takes like millions to make, ofcourse profit matters as cost goes up. I wouldnt want every game to be a low budget indie thing, just as wouldnt want movies to just be student projects. I got Braid and Gears of War, love both, probably gonna buy this new game and Gears 3. Difference is i actually listen to Young Cliff, 'cus he keeps his head away from his ass.
#60 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -

Much as I like Braid it has to be said that Jonathan Blow is an absolute prick of the highest order.

#61 Posted by Milpool (507 posts) -

Every corporate entity needs to have a GIrls WIth Big Tits expert on board.

#62 Edited by DavidSnakes (675 posts) -

"an exploration-puzzle game on an uninhabited island." 

So he's remaking Myst?

#63 Edited by lasafrog (124 posts) -

I absolutely adore Braid. 

Not it's designer, so much.
#64 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Jonathan Blow is a funny man, unintentionally of course. I can't really complain much because Braid was so great though. Let us hope this next one is half as good as the previous one.

#65 Posted by Nadril (541 posts) -
@Metamorphic said:
" @EvilTwin said:

" I'm trying very hard to contain my rage.  The more this man speaks, the less I like him.  Lucky for him his game is fun despite all of the pretense.  "

I'm trying very hard to contain my euphoria. The more this man speaks, the more I like him. Damn his game is fun.  Why is everyone furious towards what the guy said? I don't get it... "
I'm not really so sure myself. I guess they just don't like his view on the industry. As an artist I personally really like what he is doing, and the industry needs what it can to have some truly artistic experiences out there. There is a time and place for a normal game, and then there is a place for art :P.  I think it's the difference between watching a popcorn flick and then watching a more artsy movie or something. There are a lot more people who would just rather the world be filled with popcorn flicks. 

I like both, personally. Still I think what the industry needs more is more games like Braid and Flower.
#66 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
@notsonic said:
" i want someone to draw a picture of  barbarian girls with big tits weilding axes covered in blood fighting off armies of aliens coming down from space ships with big robots, orcs, and gangsters with guns. all set to a post apocalyptic background. "
Oh my god. That would be the best picture and/or game ever. You should be a game designer.
#68 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3709 posts) -

I hope this comes to 360 because Jonathan Blow wasnt too happy with Microsoft's treatment of Live Arcade games.

#69 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Yep. I can already tell that this game will be just as much up its own ass as Braid was. "
I didn't play Braid put this certainly gives it that impression.
#70 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@erinfizz said:
" I really like Braid, and even it's philosophical underpinnings...but wow, both of those job descriptions are pretentious as hell. "
Well in its defense, if you read the other want ads, they're all pretty ridiculous. Seriously, try writing a cover letter to a shitty game dev sometime, its super difficult but you wouldn't think so reading how highly they regard themselves in the classifieds. 
I actually applied to this particular job a couple days before this story went up. You have to follow up with a verify email which is something big devs don't even do, so yeah he's kinda up his own ass a bit.
#71 Posted by WerewolfGuy (42 posts) -

Man, that sure was pretentious... "crass profit motive" and "philosophical" ? 

They seem to think they are the exception to the rule by not being motivated by "crass motive"; I don't know if they forgot they sold Braid on XBLA and are now going to sell it on PSN, just like all those other game companies that are only motivated by "crass profit". How about they start making flash games or free online games and become like so many other internet game creators who actually don't profit much from the games they create.

#72 Posted by SuperJoe (896 posts) -

Myst with A-cups?  I'll wait for Soulja Boy's review.

#73 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -
@Nadril said:
" @Metamorphic said:
I'm trying very hard to contain my euphoria. The more this man speaks, the more I like him. Damn his game is fun.  Why is everyone furious towards what the guy said? I don't get it... "
I'm not really so sure myself. I guess they just don't like his view on the industry. As an artist I personally really like what he is doing, and the industry needs what it can to have some truly artistic experiences out there. There is a time and place for a normal game, and then there is a place for art :P.  I think it's the difference between watching a popcorn flick and then watching a more artsy movie or something. There are a lot more people who would just rather the world be filled with popcorn flicks.   I like both, personally. Still I think what the industry needs more is more games like Braid and Flower. "
It's not artistic games I have a problem with, it's just this guy's attitude. He treats HIS OWN games like they're great literature. Even those who have written great literature don't talk about themselves in such hubris. Kurt Vonnegut never held interviews where he explained how deep and witty his novels were, his novels conveyed that fact well-enough on they're own. Blow likes to shove in your face how awesomely deep his games are in ways that the creators of Flower, Shadow of the Collosus, and Knytt would never dream of.  This press release just furthers it: "crass profit motive" are you kidding me? Here Blow is implying that it's the norm for games to be made out of a disgusting want of money, and that his is somehow special because it's done out of a want to create something great. That's just bullshit. Epic isn't making Gears of War to make money, they're making it because they have a passion. The only games that really fit that profit motive category are Madden-type series. 

I do agree with you though, the industry needs more artistic ventures. The good news is, were getting them now. Braid was a really great game. Even though the "deep, philosophical story" was mostly placed outside of the gameplay,  I still found it intriguing. My dislike of Blow comes from a wider dislike of the self-obsessed  "artsy" attitude some artists carry, not his work.
#74 Posted by virtorio (252 posts) -

Hmmm, still haven't finished Braid.  Might have to rethink my policy of not moving to the next screen before I solve all the puzzles in the current one.

#75 Posted by Kajaah117 (1070 posts) -

I personally think the guy has every right to be a little pretentious, but pretentious or not, I'm just glad the gaming industry finally has it's David Lynch. Ever since I discovered Lynch, movie watching was never the same for me. I had the same experience after playing Braid. Now that I know what the gaming medium is capable of doing story-wise, I can't help but be dissapointed by most of the stuff that comes out nowadays.

If you're a Jonathan Blow fan, I highly encourage you to find the presentation he did at GDC. He was talking about game design from a perspective of "what if Pong and Mario Bros. never existed?"

#76 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Oh yeah, because exploration on a deserted island is such a unexplored idea.

#77 Posted by jakob187 (21730 posts) -

Well, you can tell from the way the story played out in Braid that Jonathan Blow doesn't care about girls with big tits...
#78 Edited by liquidsol (94 posts) -

I think Jonathan Blow is going to become the M. Night Shamalyan of video game developers.  What a fucking dick.

#79 Posted by ch3burashka (5176 posts) -

I could seriously go for a good Robinson Crusoe adventure game, 2D or 3D. Anyone else with me?

#80 Posted by Nadril (541 posts) -
@KillerBears:  To be honest I just don't really pay attention to developers in general, save for a few. Some people just seem to have some irrational hate for Braid due to Blow, which I don't think is really fair.
#81 Posted by championfetus (249 posts) -

The majority of the portfolio should consist of things absent from the following list: Girls With Big Tits; Barbarians Wielding Axes, Covered in Blood; Aliens; Space Ships; Gangsters Getting Shot in the Face; Orcs; Giant Robots; and, of course, Postapocalyptic Wastelands. 

I can now say with 100% confidence that number none isn't taking over production of duke nukem forever.

#82 Posted by MeatSim (10926 posts) -

So this will be a philosophical game about  girls with big tits?

#83 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

What's he got against giant robots?

#84 Posted by Twinzero (13 posts) -

Mr Blow seems a little overly critical of modern design cliches, but I loved Braid, and I'll probably love his next game too.  The originality is a breath of fresh air, even if I still enjoy a good space marine or post-apocalyptic wasteland every now and again.

#85 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Nadril said:
"I'm not really so sure myself. I guess they just don't like his view on the industry. As an artist I personally really like what he is doing, and the industry needs what it can to have some truly artistic experiences out there. There is a time and place for a normal game, and then there is a place for art :P.  I think it's the difference between watching a popcorn flick and then watching a more artsy movie or something. There are a lot more people who would just rather the world be filled with popcorn flicks.   I like both, personally. Still I think what the industry needs more is more games like Braid and Flower. "
It's not that I hate artsy games.  It's that Jonathan Blow doesn't have an ounce of humility in him.
#86 Posted by dagas (2900 posts) -

Jonathan Blow is sooooo 2008 =P

#87 Posted by Hamst3r (4554 posts) -

Am I the only one that doesn't find Jonathan Blow to be pretentious?

Maybe I'm just a pretentious, elitist asshole too.

#88 Posted by Kiemoe (1058 posts) -
@Hamst3r said:
"  Am I the only one that doesn't find Jonathan Blow to be pretentious?  Maybe I'm just a pretentious, elitist asshole too. "
Oh, he's a total douche. No arguement. We just can't call him on it yet because Braid was so good. When he messes up that's when we get him
#89 Posted by Kingfalcon (143 posts) -

What's up with the (presumably) old art for Braid in the picture? Everything looks like a prototype of the final product.

#90 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

The majority of the portfolio should consist of things absent from the following list: Girls With Big Tits; Barbarians Wielding Axes, Covered in Blood; Aliens; Space Ships; Gangsters Getting Shot in the Face; Orcs; Giant Robots; and, of course, Postapocalyptic Wastelands.

Jonathan Blow is now officially my hero of 2009. I'd donate money if the gaming industry would say goodbye to any of these things forever.
#91 Posted by jemoeder (1 posts) -

That screenshot is a pre-release one, before the current artist redid the character art.

#92 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2494 posts) -
@Heartagram said:
" Braid made me angry and happy all at the same time... "

That pretty well sums up my braid experience.
#93 Posted by PuppyKisses (83 posts) -

Jonathan Blow's next game is.... just as pretentious as his last.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.