Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Wolf Among Us

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 11, 2013

A prequel to the Fables comic book series, The Wolf Among Us tells a tale of the reformed Big Bad Wolf of childhood folklore (who is the sheriff of a secluded community of fables in 20th century New York City) as he investigates a series of grisly murders.

Episode 4 Discussion (spoilers)

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

So I just finished the fourth installment of The Wolf Among Us, "In Sheep's Clothing". I quite enjoyed this episode, but it's left me concerned about the finale. It seems like there's still a fair bit of story to chew through, and at the rate we're going I can't help but feel the last episode will appear rushed. Despite that, this episode was pretty cool.

First off, that brawl between Jersey Devil and the Woodsman was great. I've been wanting to see Bigby and Woodsman team up, and that fight made me giddy. And you're not doing the ending to this episode justice if you don't smoke a cigar. I've been playing my Bigby as a calm-headed good guy who likes to be a sarcastic jerk and that felt like the culmination of the character I had built. Also, I feel real bad about sending Toad to the farm, but I have a feeling there will be a better use for that money I took from Crane in the next episode.

Anyway, here's a list of my choices:

-Decided not to send Colin to the farm
    -Did not try to remove the ribbon from Nerissa
    -Went to "The Cut Above" first
    -Sent Toad to the farm
    -Lit a cigarette

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Once the ribbon dialogue options came into play, I realized that's probably how faith died. Removing the ribbon cuts off their head. So, am I right in that hypothesis? And if you try to remove the ribbon, does she die?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I seriously can't understand why anyone would do something other than light a cigarette at the end. Also sending that prick Toad to the farm, decisions of all decisions.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Beauty & Beast are real shits. I don't think I'd realised how much until this episode.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seriously can't understand why anyone would do something other than light a cigarette at the end.

Agreed!

Most disappointing episode yet though.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By damnboyadvance

I was pretty disappointed with this episode. I sat down to talk to Crooked Man and friends, then the episode just suddenly ended. I feel like the episode left more questions than it answered, which doesn't seem right for the second-to-last episode. Maybe if I would've lit the cigarette...

I have to admit though, the fight scene between Bigby/Woodsman and Jersey Devil was very satisfying. Probably one of my favorite moments in the series.

-Didn't send Colin or Toad to the farm

-Tried to remove Nerissa's ribbon, unsuccessfully

-Went to "The Cut Above" first. I thought this would be a mistake after hearing how much the Lucky Pawn Shop had, but I got the mirror piece so all was fine.

-Sat down to talk, like a gentleman

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @forkboy said:

Beauty & Beast are real shits. I don't think I'd realised how much until this episode.

Yeah...I mean, I've always hated Beast because he was such a little bitch all the time, but Beauty always seemed like she had a good heart. Welp, this episode changed my opinion of her. When I heard all the "we're used to a certain kind of lifestyle" bullshit, I just kinda groaned and any love I had for her went straight out the window and I somehow managed to hate Beast ever more.

@narujoe93 said:

Once the ribbon dialogue options came into play, I realized that's probably how faith died. Removing the ribbon cuts off their head. So, am I right in that hypothesis? And if you try to remove the ribbon, does she die?

Yup, I think so. I mean, it's heavily implied by how much she freaks out and how Bigby sorta just trails off when he puts the pieces together. And you can try to remove the ribbon, but it plays out the same as if you just ask about it or whatever the other option is. She freaks out, jumps up, etc etc.

Anywho,

• I didn't send Colin to the farm
    • I didn't try to remove the ribbon
    • Went to The Cut Above first
    • Didn't send Toad to the farm (but I'm seriously considering replaying it just so I can because I realize how much I hate that little fucker)
    • I lit a cigarette
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, I think so. I mean, it's heavily implied by how much she freaks out and how Bigby sorta just trails off when he puts the pieces together. And you can try to remove the ribbon, but it plays out the same as if you just ask about it or whatever the other option is. She freaks out, jumps up, etc etc.

Heh, that would've been a good chance for them to make a pretty grim scene by just having her head fall off, would you choose to remove the ribbon.

Short as heck, but still a great episode. I especially adored Jersey Devil's design.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bluebeard's excuse when you questioned him about destroying evidence in Crane's place was that he wanted to get rid of all the dirty photos of Snow. What was his excuse if he had destroyed the Tweedles' office?

That team up with Woody was great though. Does the game give you a chance to kill Jersey? Or does the "Shut him up option" at the end just knocks him out? I can see a separate scenario in which the Crooked Man's place is a bit more empty.

- Didn't send Colin to the farm

- Asked about the ribbon.

- Pawn shop first.

- Gave Toad the money.

- Sat down (he lit a cigarette anyway).

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. That episode ended on a real cliff hanger and literally had me yell out "WHAT!" I think this is the first time I'm going to list my decision (360 version) and the percentage because people seem to be fucking crazy with their choices.

-Did you send Colin to the farm?
    +You and 39.1% of players decided Colin should NOT go to the farm.

-Did you attempt to remove Nerissa's ribbon?
    +You and 61.5% of players did NOT try to remove the ribbon.

-Which Crooked operation did you investigate first?
    +You and 50% of players went to the Cut Above first.

-Did you send Toad to the farm?
    +You and 47.2% of players decided Toad should NOT go to the farm.

-How did you respond to the Crooked Man?
    +You and 19.7% of players agreed to talk with him first.

Why would anyone decide to send Colin or Toad to the farm? That just seems dumb. I figured that Nerissa would lose her head if I tried to talk off her ribbon so I didn't. The fight with the Jersey Devil was great because I knew that me and Woody were going to tag team his ass when I saw them start to fight. Great scene. The joke is on everyone else for selecting to smoke first because I still got to say my one liner and then I got to smoke.

Overall I can see why people would be upset with the ending because I thought I was going to listen to what the Crooked man had to say and respond with "That's fucking bullshit. You're dead." and then a huge rumble would break out. I guess that's being saved for the finale.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash I never even got the option to talk to Bluebeard, so I assume that's how it plays out if you sent him to the Tweedle's office instead.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadyPingu

- Didn't send Colin or Toad to the Farm

- Didn't try to remove Nerissa's ribbon

- Went to the Cut Above first

- Lit a cigarette

I confess, this is the first episode that has left be unfulfilled. It felt more like setup for episode 5 than its own thing, and it lacked significant payoff as a result. I did enjoy the Jersey Devil beatdown at the pawn shop, though. Woody's been through some serious shit lately, it was about time we buried the hatchet. And just smoking in the Crooked Man's face was too good to pass up.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin

I don't want to say too much in fear of spoilers, but reading the comic might have influenced my decision when I sent Colin/Toad to the farm.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I'm kind of surprised at how many people were disappointed in this episode. After not being all that impressed by episodes 2 and 3, I felt like this was kind of a return to form. I thought the story moved at a nice pace and yeah, I get why some people would be upset with the ending but it was certainly an effective cliffhanger.

He's my friend. You don't sell out your friends.

-Tried to remove the ribbon from Nerissa

Kind of stupid looking back at it but from what I can tell, this choice didn't really change anything.

Both places sounded like they had plenty to offer and I could have gone either way really.

-Didn't send Toad to the farm

As soon as Toad started asking for money, I really regretted not taking the money out of Crane's jacket pocket. I assume that I could have just handed Toad the money and the problem would have been solved. I couldn't in good conscience send Toad away knowing how much I've fucked his shit up in the past.

-Lit a cigarette

There is clearly more going on here than we know. Barging in there like a maniac doesn't do anyone any good.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I'm kind of surprised at how many people were disappointed in this episode. After not being all that impressed by episodes 2 and 3, I felt like this was kind of a return to form. I thought the story moved at a nice pace and yeah, I get why some people would be upset with the ending but it was certainly an effective cliffhanger.

He's my friend. You don't sell out your friends.

-Tried to remove the ribbon from Nerissa

Kind of stupid looking back at it but from what I can tell, this choice didn't really change anything.

Both places sounded like they had plenty to offer and I could have gone either way really.

-Didn't send Toad to the farm

As soon as Toad started asking for money, I really regretted not taking the money out of Crane's jacket pocket. I assume that I could have just handed Toad the money and the problem would have been solved. I couldn't in good conscience send Toad away knowing how much I've fucked his shit up in the past.

-Lit a cigarette

There is clearly more going on here than we know. Barging in there like a maniac doesn't do anyone any good.

Exactly what I did, reasons are the same too. Didn't realise that the question "Can't you just remove it?" would trigger him trying to do it and yes, I totally regretted not taking the money. All in all I'm pretty happy with the episode but it really depends on the payoff now. I liked the slower pace in Wolf among Us and they built up everything quite well but now they have to deliver on the promises with the last episode. Hopefully they can get it right.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emfromthesea

I decided to play through the game from the beginning again, and noticed that Tiny Tim is actually one of the characters in the line next to Bigby's office in Episode 1. I don't think it has any significance in a story sense, just a neat little touch.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LackingSaint

Choices:

• Didn't give Colin a straight answer either way (Chose Silence; I was undecided, and it was a bad time)
    • Did not try to remove the ribbon (Every single dead girl was decapitated, and she seemed pretty protective of it. So yeah, no)
    • Went to the Cut Above first (I wanted to know what was in the packages before they disappeared, and Beast did tell me that the couple would be more incriminated if you went to the Pawn Shop first)
    • Didn't send Toad to the Farm (I gave him Crane's money; that's a problem to be solved when there's not a massive investigation going on)
    • Lit the cigarette (Because come on. COME ON.)

I think people are being too harsh on Beauty and Beast; I understand they might come off as pompous or snooty, but I totally understand that these are people that have been violently kicked out of their homes after a lifetime of royalty, and they just want their current, shitty, low-income lives to at least somewhat represent what they used to have. It's still selfish on their part, but I can empathize at least.

Overall, really enjoyed this episode. I thought the encounters were a good combination of exposition and entertaining exchanges between characters; that little sharing-a-smoke moment with Bigby and Woodsman was oddly cathartic, and I loved the Jersey Devil reveal. I guess so far i'm going 1 > 4 > 3 > 2, with 3 & 4 close together and 2 considerably worse than any of the other episodes.

(Why did they make Tiny Tim an american adult, though? His character is explicitly famous as a cockney child, just seemed a bit odd)

EDIT: Oh hey, another thing; the taxi-driver outside the Pawn Shop is the fucking ginger dude you and Snow walked past in Episode 1. What the fuck is up with that guy?!

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Well, I have to agree with people saying this was the weakest entry yet, because it is. It's mostly just some background information and set up for the final episode. Necessary? Yes. All that fun? No.

Anyways on to my choices:

• I didn't send Colin to the farm. (I didn't make a straight promise, though. Just said, that Snow would probably come around.)
    • I tried to remove Nerissa's ribbon. (Sure I gave it a shot, since I wasn't quiet sure of the outcome. Apologized to her later.)
    • I went to the Cut Above first. (Because I didn't want to get Beast and Beauty in trouble, even though they really annoyed me in this episode. "Boohoo, we used to be royalty." Also it seemed like the more interesting option.)
    • I didn't send Toad to the farm. (But only because I took Crane's money earlier and had the option to give that to him. If I didn't have the money, he would have had to pack his things.)
    • I lit a cigarette. (Just seemed like something Bigby would do.)
    emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EDIT: Oh hey, another thing; the taxi-driver outside the Pawn Shop is the fucking ginger dude you and Snow walked past in Episode 1. What the fuck is up with that guy?!

Even in just Episode 1, he was seen waiting in line at Crane's office, and he was hanging out by the Trip Trap bar near the end of the episode. Either Telltale is using a stock model to fill out the world, or they're sneakily hiding an important character in plain sight.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, and I'm sure this is just crazy speculation, but you can see that on his tie he has pictures of a cane, so what if the Crooked Man is using a glamour to infiltrate the Woodlands? Or what if the Crooked Man we met at the end of the 4th episode isn't the real guy, and this ginger-haired character is the real deal?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

• I decided Colin should not go to the farm.
    • I tried to remove the ribbon.
    • I went to the Cut Above first.
    • I decided Toad should not go to the farm.
    • I agreed to talk with the Crooked Man first.

Actually, and I'm sure this is just crazy speculation, but you can see that on his tie he has pictures of a cane, so what if the Crooked Man is using a glamour to infiltrate the Woodlands? Or what if the Crooked Man we met at the end of the 4th episode isn't the real guy, and this ginger-haired character is the real deal?

And the ginger-haired guy is really Bigby. And your Bigby is actually...Clementine...

That's one thing I don't like about the game - glamours just seem like an easy way to throw out plot twists everywhere.

Also, what's up with the mirror piece o_O He had a piece that didn't seem to fit, then after about three minutes, he magically made it fit...

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak said:

And the ginger-haired guy is really Bigby. And your Bigby is actually...Clementine...

That's one thing I don't like about the game - glamours just seem like an easy way to throw out plot twists everywhere.

Also, what's up with the mirror piece o_O He had a piece that didn't seem to fit, then after about three minutes, he magically made it fit...

I think the key word here is magically. There's a lot that they can explain away in this universe by chocking it up to fairy tail nonsense. Hopefully we aren't leading up to some sort of deus ex machina in this final episode, because given the average length of the episodes so far, I don't know how they intend to wrap it all up so quickly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.