Game Crashes on Start-up Help!?!

#1 Edited by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

So I was excited to play The Wolf Among Us, but when I launched the game, I found it to crash. Over and over again. I can't even launch the game, and I have no earthly clue as to how to fix this. I reinstalled it to no avail.
Anyone having the same problems, and have a solution for what they did to fix it?
Thanks, I appreciate any help towards the matter, because I'd like to play and not waste my $22.49.

#2 Edited by Scampbell (497 posts) -

Same thing is happening to me.

Edit: Works now. Not sure why because all I did was try to install a windows update, which failed.

#3 Posted by Zurv (442 posts) -

make sure you don't have a OSD or overlay thing going on.. fraps, rivatuner.. etc..

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3549 posts) -

the last few telltale games had a bird when you had a wireless 360 controller hooked up, try unplugging the dongle while you start the game, you can plug it back in once the game is running.

#5 Posted by Scampbell (497 posts) -

the last few telltale games had a bird when you had a wireless 360 controller hooked up, try unplugging the dongle while you start the game, you can plug it back in once the game is running.

That was probably my issue actually. Technically I didn't have a Xbox controller connected but a Dualshock 3 via Bluetooth simulating a Xbox controller.

#6 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

No overlay, no controller. I haven't found a solution yet. Gonna try to mess around now and see if anything works.

#7 Edited by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

Ok, so apparently the Razer Orbweaver counts as a controller. That was my problem. As soon as I disconnected the USB for it, the game launched perfectly fine.
What a backwards ass thing to cause the game to not launch.

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3549 posts) -

@knetic2341: it's insane that Telltale hasn't fixed this yet, it's been a problem for a long time and people go crazy trying to figure it out because it makes no sense.

#9 Edited by Zurv (442 posts) -

you can do the dll trick too dinput8.dll if you are using windows 8

http://steamcommunity.com/app/207610/discussions/0/864951022559575731/

#10 Posted by djpooppants (2 posts) -

@zurv said:

make sure you don't have a OSD or overlay thing going on.. fraps, rivatuner.. etc..

This was the problem for me... is there any way I can configure some settings so that fraps will still work?

#11 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2156 posts) -

Hmm a Tell Tale game with a tech issue? Where have I heard this before?

#12 Posted by poser (411 posts) -

I'm having the same problem :(

#13 Posted by RioStarwind (546 posts) -

The dll trick worked for me when I was first having issues after it unlocked.

#14 Posted by poser (411 posts) -

I'm on Windows 7.

#15 Posted by real_jones (29 posts) -

Thankyou @zurv got the DLL, dropped it in the game dir bam working with 360 controller, thanx again

#16 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

@real_jones: I tried the DLL and it let the game launch but i have no analog stick support....very irritating

#17 Edited by Zurv (442 posts) -

@djpooppants:

you can get fraps to work..

Start the game, alt tab then start fraps... NOTE this game takes a HUGE hit from fraps.. more than most. I normally fraps video at 4k, but not for this one.. sadly i had to make a 1080p video.

#18 Edited by fleabeard (181 posts) -

They still haven't fixed the controller issue? I haven't touched the walking dead because of it.

#19 Posted by djpooppants (2 posts) -

@zurv said:

@djpooppants:

you can get fraps to work..

Start the game, alt tab then start fraps... NOTE this game takes a HUGE hit from fraps.. more than most. I normally fraps video at 4k, but not for this one.. sadly i had to make a 1080p video.

Thanks so much!!!!

#20 Posted by Zurv (442 posts) -

@fleabeard: just put the dll in the folder (or don't play with a control).. why would you not play a great game (with a ez fix)? seems like an empty protest.. most so even if you already spent the money and bought it. TWD is an amazing game.

#21 Posted by wickedjeromy (1 posts) -

I fixed it like this watch my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usxiKGU9-4

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.