Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Wolf Among Us

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 11, 2013

A prequel to the Fables comic book series, The Wolf Among Us tells a tale of the reformed Big Bad Wolf of childhood folklore (who is the sheriff of a secluded community of fables in 20th century New York City) as he investigates a series of grisly murders.

Had you read any of the Fables comics before starting The Wolf Among Us?

• 62 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Had you read any of the Fables comics before starting The Wolf Among Us? (293 votes)

Yes 23%
    No 61%
    *Just show me the results* 16%

Personally, I knew next to nothing about the comics before starting the game. I suppose I'm just a crazy person that just trusts Telltale implicitly...

• 
    Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sinusoidal

I've been reading the comic for years, but I got kind of sick of it about 40 issues in. This is the first I've heard of the game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Nope. I knew absolutely nothing about it.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bocam

The game made me want to read the comics and some old fairy tales

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Yes, I've read most of it, so I'm pretty familiar with the world already. I can imagine the whole thing being fairly impenetrable if the game is all you have to go on, though.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draugen: Not at all. I had no idea the comic even existed and I loved it. It's all explained as well as it needs to be (no spoilers, please). That kind of thing is gonna be highly subjective, though.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

I read the first issue some years ago but liked it though I did, I never got around to following up on it. Just didn't have time at the time, probably.
    After playing this I feel inclined to pick up where I left off, though I didn't find the game hard to follow regardless.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It has been years but doesn't the first trade pretty much spoil the first ep of the game? Very familiar premise.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@draugen said:

Yes, I've read most of it, so I'm pretty familiar with the world already. I can imagine the whole thing being fairly impenetrable if the game is all you have to go on, though.

whys that? As someone that doesn't know the comics the story seemed good but not overly complex.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Nope. Nothing crazy about that.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I bought the first trade paperback a week or so before the game's release, because I kinda wanted some foreknowledge.

Since it's pretty good, I'll probably pick up a few more.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Nope, but as soon as I finished the first episode I ordered the first trade.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yes, I got really into them. You should check them out, they're pretty great. Only wish I had kept on reading them more than I did. But buying comics is an expensive habit.

Looking super-forward to playing this game, I got into the Fables series after Telltale announced it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No, but I'll probably read them after playing all 5 episodes.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By edsone

I recommend the comics BUT I haven't read a single issue for about two years :(

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Catarrhal

I personally have not, but the premise has always seemed kinda cool. I have an older brother who's been a Fables fan for years; he's read the entire series and all its spin-offs. He even convinced my mother to read it--the whole damn series. Unfortunately, he quit playing video games about six or seven years ago, so I doubt he'll even take a look at this.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji

I knew absolutely nothing about the comic and as soon as the game is complete I guess I will read it. I will not start now because I fear of some sort of spoilers which I think I already saw a pretty big one. So I will wait with that.

Sykdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but after playing the first episode I'm buying a few trade volumes.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After I saw the first trailer for this game, I took an interest in the comics and have been steadily borrowing the volumes from my public library. I've gotten up to Volume 6 - Homelands so far, and enjoying the heck out of it. It's quality stuff.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I hadn't but after playing through the first couple of acts it made me borrow the first couple of volumes from a friend. Really digging the series so far.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jimipeppr

I haven't but will probably check it out next time I'm at a book store. I thought the premise of "gritty fables in New York" was interesting enough to warrant buying the game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

I'd heard of the comics, but never read them. Is this game a retelling of the comic, or is it a different take like the Walking Dead?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the fuck? Bigby has a game?

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up the first of the collected books (#1-5 I think) and decided to read through them just to get a taste of the universe first. Really enjoying them so far.

SonKite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SonKite

Yes, I'am collecting them as well.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrcraggle

Nope. I didn't read TWD either but I've been a long time fan of Telltale and I've played most of their releases aside from that Wallace and Gromit game and the Poker Night games.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grixxel

@draugen said:

You're the sheriff of fairies that live in NY under a spell that makes em look human and if they don't use it or they fuck up, you send them away to a fairy concentration camp. Also you used to be the big bad wolf. Yup, impenetrable alright.

nonekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read all of them and a few volumes of the spin-off "Jack of Fables" (which is not as good as the main story). It was in a bit of a slump a while back after wrapping up a big story arc, and that went on for a few volumes, but I think it's picked up a good pace again. I'm finding it highly enjoyable. It often goes to interesting places and it's not afraid to explore darker themes.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ordered the first volume yesterday and will most likely read them before I start playing the game. It seems like a really interesting world.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MideonNViscera

The fucking first storyline is awesome. It's also like a million issues long. I think I dropped off shortly after the 100th issue, plus I read a bunch of Jack of Fables. Regardless of where the book went after they defeated their enemy, that story was goddamn amazing. Boy Blue motherfuckers.

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ahab88

I fail to see how having "Just show me the results" as an option makes for an accurate poll.

Oh, and I've been reading Fables for almost 10 years now. I've gotten a bit behind, but I've read the first 12 or so trades. Amazing world, amazing stories. Highly recommended. About to start on The Wolf Among Us.

redsoundwaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read 1001 Nights of Snowfall which depicts snow white as the main character. I loved it and want to read more, but what really surprised me about the game was how fast they killed her off, because she seemed like such a major character in the series.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I haven't read them, considering maybe picking one up after the whole first season of the game is finished. But I dunno, I'm not that big into comics so I probably won't. World and set up for the whole thing is pretty cool though.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MideonNViscera

I haven't read them, considering maybe picking one up after the whole first season of the game is finished. But I dunno, I'm not that big into comics so I probably won't. World and set up for the whole thing is pretty cool though.

Writing off an entire medium isn't a good idea, especially when it's the medium that's been ripped off constantly by the others for over a decade, and has been inspiring them since the 60's. Unless it's a price thing, cause yeah, comics are expensive for what they are.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

@bkbroiler said:

Writing off an entire medium isn't a good idea, especially when it's the medium that's been ripped off constantly by the others for over a decade, and has been inspiring them since the 60's. Unless it's a price thing, cause yeah, comics are expensive for what they are.

I mean, I've read Watchmen, a lot of Sin City, and a bit of Y The Last Man. They're just not my thing. I don't like how reading them I feel like I'm either skimping on reading the text or looking at the pictures. I don't have the brain for it.

Basically I can see myself buying the Fables comic and reading 10 pages of it and never touching it again. I'm not writing off the whole medium, though. I'm not discriminating against comics.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MideonNViscera

Well you read some good comics, so I can't argue.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draugen said:

whys that? As someone that doesn't know the comics the story seemed good but not overly complex.

Well it's weird insomuch as it never explains why the fables are in Fabletown, from what I'm seen of it so far.

That's like a page 1 panel 1 thing in the comics. It's kind of the whole underlying point of the series. I think it's fascinating how much of it won't really matter for The Wolf Among Us.

I read fables pretty consistently for a long while, but the thing about the book is that it is INCREDIBLY uneven. Which, I guess, makes sense in the context of a bunch of random fairy tales all crammed into the same world. But the tone of the game, the noir detective tone, is the tone of the first couple of stories in Fables, and then it moves on to other things. But still, when the book begins to focus on characters you don't care about and scenarios you don't care about, it really starts to drag.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I hadn't read it before but I want to now.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

Well you read some good comics, so I can't argue.

Don't worry about it man, I'm not trying to knock comics/graphic novels or anything. I just know myself, I tend to get excited about things and then buy them and never follow through on them. I am legitimately interested in the Fables universe though, but I think I'm just going to hear the story The Wolf Among Us is going to tell and see if I want to learn more after that.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MideonNViscera

@bkbroiler I can tell you now Fables drops off after the first story arc, but it's very long and great.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera: Well maybe I'll give it a shot sometime then, if there's an endpoint to the storyline that might help even!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JazGalaxy

@bkbroiler I can tell you now Fables drops off after the first story arc, but it's very long and great.

Engh, I dunno. I really liked the first Farm story. The Last Castle, or whatever, was also extremely good. The one where Boy Blue holds down the last bastion so the Fables can escape on the last boat out of the Homelands.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

Engh, I dunno. I really liked the first Farm story. The Last Castle, or whatever, was also extremely good. The one where Boy Blue holds down the last bastion so the Fables can escape on the last boat out of the Homelands.

It's been forever since I read it so I basically count issue 1 until they take out the Adversary as one story. Then the Dark Man or whatever was second? Maybe that crossover with Jack came first.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazgalaxy said:

@mideonnviscera said:

It's been forever since I read it so I basically count issue 1 until they take out the Adversary as one story. Then the Dark Man or whatever was second? Maybe that crossover with Jack came first.

Oh, well, crap. I consider the first story to be like the first four issues.

After the Adversary is where I basically stopped reading it regularly.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incidently, if you're new to Fables, then let me introduce you to the single best thing about Fables, which is James Jean's ASTONISHING covers. The interior art looks nothing like this, but this guy's covers are the best in the comics industry. He's also a fine artist. He's also borderline insane. Seriously.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is set before the comics, so I guess it is a good place to start, in a way

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

They said the game was canon, right? Well, in the comics they do mention the more popular a Fable is, the harder she is to kill, so Snow White is probably just Mostly Dead.

I read 1001 Nights of Snowfall which depicts snow white as the main character. I loved it and want to read more, but what really surprised me about the game was how fast they killed her off, because she seemed like such a major character in the series.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot about that. That's almost certainly the case.

They said the game was canon, right? Well, in the comics they do mention the more popular a Fable is, the harder she is to kill, so Snow White is probably just Mostly Dead.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had absolutely no prior knowledge about Fables, I bought the game on impulse as I noticed it was a Telltale game. Definitely feels like it'd be worth looking into them now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.