Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Wolf Among Us

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 11, 2013

A prequel to the Fables comic book series, The Wolf Among Us tells a tale of the reformed Big Bad Wolf of childhood folklore (who is the sheriff of a secluded community of fables in 20th century New York City) as he investigates a series of grisly murders.

The Wolf Among Us Episode 4: In Sheep’s Clothing - The End is Nigh

_Mattallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

Edited By _Mattallica

In Sheep’s Clothing is very much a middling episode. Most of the episode is either referencing past events, mainly the shocking finale of the last episode and the repercussions of these actions, or setting up it’s conclusion in the next. This is where the episode fails to impact memorably outside of one or two moments and does slightly fall short of previous episodes.

Episode 2 had the same problem after focusing on the aftermath of Episode 1 whilst setting up the next very well. It’s hard for every episode to stand out when you have to set up a long term story arc and when the season ends I think it’s best episodes will be the alternating ones i.e 1, 3 and 5. I don’t mind this and the calm before the storm certainly serves a purpose. After a much shorter wait than previously I didn’t feel let down, even if it’s the least enjoyable episode of the season so far.

No Caption Provided

Speaking of the repercussions of the previous episode, the opening scene involving Bigby dealing with his injuries after his encounter with Bloody Mary is unbelievably gruesome. While The Walking Dead will always be known as Telltale’s bloodiest game, this scene could easily have been the cause of a run in with walkers. Definitely a scene not for the faint-hearted and the type of shocking gameplay I’ve grown to expect from the developer.

By far the best moment for me came when introducing another new character in the form of The Jersey Devil. Immediately after meeting him it becomes clear he isn’t someone Bigby will be befriending anytime soon and the insuring fight was fantastically put together. It felt great teaming up with the Woodsman and this action sequence stood out even more in an episode that was definitely lacking in that department.

No Caption Provided

Some of the interactions did feel very weak and overall not very important in the grand scheme of things. In particular the scene at Beauty and Beast’s apartment felt very strange as it barely added to their character’s arc and did more harm than good in establishing their role within Fabletown. Other characters such as Bluebeard featured in such a small insignificant role, I’m curious if most of these characters are going to get a proper conclusion when the final episode’s credits roll.

I liked the new dynamic that is slowly being established that is starting to question the authority of Fabletown and if they do actually help its citizens or not. I’m sure this is going to be discussed even further in the finale but I find it interesting that perhaps the ‘bad guys’ of this all actually have good intentions at heart. They want to help and provide to each and every Fable, not just the ones fortunate or rich enough to afford Glamors like the authority does at this moment. This was also present when you are tasked with deciding if certain Fables are allowed to stay here or whether they get sent to the farm. These difficult decisions feel real in the circumstances and leave me feeling more bad than good in most situations.

No Caption Provided

The game continues to be incredibly stylish and one of the best sounding games I’ve played. It’s electronic soundtrack helps to build the tension during a tense conversation and hypes me as I’m playing so I feel closer to the way Bigby is feeling than any other Telltale protagonist. It’s hard to relate to a little girl surviving in a zombie apocalypse, but an angry guy having to deal with difficult people? Yeah, I can relate to that.

In the context of the season, In Sheep’s Clothing is a solid addition. Individually it falls short of previous entries, but ultimately I believe it serves it’s main purpose; setting up an incredible finale. The entire season has had many twists and turns and as this season ramps up to it’s conclusion, I hope we get answers for many of the questions we’ve found ourselves asking throughout the series. The Wolf Among Us so far has been a brilliant episodic series and a strong final episode could cement it as Telltale’s best to date.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.