Potential TWEWY Sequel being hinted at

• 121 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
Square Enix is teasing a new title featuring character designs from Tetsuya Nomura and Gen Kobayashi.

Source

Here's the official website. Aside from the "Subaseka" name that might indicate the Japanese title of TWEWY, that teaser page also has a similar style. Is this finally a sequel to the critically acclaimed DS RPG? I hope it is, and we'll know in six days, apparently.

Also, the music on the website apparently sounds like TWEWY music (though I can't get it to work on any browser I try it on).

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

I have nothing more to say than I love the phrase, "TWEWY".

#3 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

fuuuuck I really hope it is

#4 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

I wouldn't say it sounds like TWEWY music, though i don't remember it too well, but out of the SE franchises, yeah, it sounds most like TWEWY. Awesome, i loved that game. Though...this means i might have to get a 3DS? Damn.

#5 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

I am so ridiculously excited, words can't even describe. Digging the music, the intro sounds great, like a new combat theme or for the intro movie?

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

From this NeoGAF post:

I just discovered something amazing.
Change the date on your computer's calendar. Each day has different music. On Thursday, a version of Calling plays.
IT'S TWEWY!!
EDIT: There's no music for the days after Thursday. Whatever. Calling is all I needed to hear for confirmation.

I can't get the site to work on my end (seems to be a similar problem for many), but that's pretty much a confirmation. Now, hopefully it doesn't end up as a social game or some other kind of shit.

#7 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

Could be cool. Just as long as it doesn't involve the same characters. That would be dumb.

#8 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1428 posts) -

Yes yes yes yes yes! Always down for some MOAR TWEWY! Finished the original a few times and will probably do the same for the sequel

#9 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

oh man this could be great

#10 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

Twewy intwesting...

#11 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

Could be cool. Just as long as it doesn't involve the same characters. That would be dumb.

I never finished TWEWY, I plan to one day, but from what I may know wouldn't Joshua returning make some sense?

#12 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
#13 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@JeanLuc said:

I never finished TWEWY, I plan to one day, but from what I may know wouldn't Joshua returning make some sense?

Yes having Joshua back would make sense but the rest not so much.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The site doesn't appear to be rendering for me properly. All I see is the countdown clock. There's no day count or background.

#15 Edited by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Welp, I'm buying the hell out of this if it's real.

EDIT: After listening to that music, that HAS to be real.

Please don't be for a console I don't own. Actually, it probably will be.

#16 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I do however demand they bring back "Deja Vu." That shit is my jam!

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

From this NeoGAF post:

I just discovered something amazing.
Change the date on your computer's calendar. Each day has different music. On Thursday, a version of Calling plays.
IT'S TWEWY!!
EDIT: There's no music for the days after Thursday. Whatever. Calling is all I needed to hear for confirmation.

I can't get the site to work on my end (seems to be a similar problem for many), but that's pretty much a confirmation. Now, hopefully it doesn't end up as a social game or some other kind of shit.

You mean they're not using a server-side clock? Strange.

#18 Edited by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: They probably figured that people would end up finding the file links anyway, which they did.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

Welp, I'm buying the hell out of this if it's real.

EDIT: After listening to that music, that HAS to be real.

Please don't be for a console I don't own. Actually, it probably will be.

I'd be shocked if this is for anything other than the 3DS.

#20 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@Hailinel: Well, then I guess I'll finally man up and buy one. TWEWY 2 would be the first game I'd actually want for the system.

#21 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

What browser are you guys viewing the site in? I've tried Firefox and IE and it's not rendering properly in either. No background or day count, and no music.

#22 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Hailinel: I've tried Chrome, Firefox and IE, but everything's still messed up. Someone's stated that it's because they didn't create a "day 7" gif for the animation, which means that the site should work properly for people in the EDT time zone in about 7 minutes.

Also:

#23 Posted by Aegon (5850 posts) -

I got to the last week of the game and didn't keep going. Don't know why. Should I just watch the cutscenes at this point? Also, someone spoiled it for me by revealing that Joshua becomes the composer, so damn.

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
#25 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Aegon said:

I got to the last week of the game and didn't keep going. Don't know why. Should I just watch the cutscenes at this point? Also, someone spoiled it for me by revealing that Joshua becomes the composer, so damn.

If you just want to get through it, crank the difficulty down and keep your level up, then just blitz to the end. A lot of crazy shit happens in the last week.

#26 Edited by Aegon (5850 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Aegon said:

Also, someone spoiled it for me by revealing that Joshua becomes the composer, so damn.

Well...

he doesn't really become the composer.

Wait...

FUUUUCK SPOILED AGAIN!

I guess I shouldn't have clicked the big red/pinkish button.

#27 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

Oh man! if this is for the 3DS then it's the game that's gonna make me buy one for sure I would've preferred a console game, put that Final Fantasy XIII tech to use Square! how come they haven't thought of a Dissidia game using that engine? I guess TWEWY will remain as a Nintendo handheld series we'll have to wait and see but I'm excited for anything as long it retains the style of the first game wich is probably my favorite game on the DS close to Mario Kart and 999

#28 Posted by eternalshades (91 posts) -

Psyched!

Of course this is the japanese reveal, so we won't get this in english for at least a year.

#29 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

The site doesn't appear to be rendering for me properly. All I see is the countdown clock. There's no day count or background.

Same here. I'm getting a broken image.

#30 Posted by Chias (81 posts) -

I noticed something about the music while fiddling with the links to the sound. The 6 days music is just the intro and a drum beat, the 5 days music adds the Calling music, the 4 days music adds some instrumentation from Twister, and the 3 days music adds the vocals from Calling in. That's an interesting way to do things!

#31 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (799 posts) -

@Apathylad said:

@Hailinel said:

Same here. I'm getting a broken image.

I'm using Chrome, but it didn't work until I moved the time a day ahead. You might try that.

#32 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (799 posts) -

The passage of time until the U.S. release is going to feel SO ZETTA SLOW!!!

#33 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (217 posts) -

My body has never been more ready. Now come on Nintendo how could you have not gotten SE to announce this at E3? I am more hyped about this then I can ever be hyped about a full true KH3. Which back in '05 would have been impossible. At least someone at SE is still sane.

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -

More (3)DS multitasking nonsense? Fuck yeah! Give me the fucking CE for $150 with some crazy stylish headphones.

Also just making sure, we're all reading that as "twee-wee" in our heads right?

#36 Posted by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

FUCKING BRING IT

God dammit, I guess I have to buy a 3DS now.

#37 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Naturally.

It took me a lot of time to finish this game. I took a lot of long breaks but at least I finished it, and that's more than I can say about the majority of RPGs I've played.

Now, I was never one to think that TWEWY needed a sequel, but I have to admit hearing "Calling" got me pumped. That game deserves big props for a lot of cool things it did, like have more than 1 battle theme, let you choose your random encounters, balance difficulty with risk and reward etc.

#38 Posted by NegativeCero (3041 posts) -

Well, shit. I should finally finish it, huh. Game gets hard trying to get better drops, which coupled with needing a guide open to know how pins evolve, stopped me from it.

#39 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

All this is just gonna lead to me doing a full run through of TWEWY again. Also this Calling remix is amazing.

#40 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@NegativeCero: Why wouldn't you just lower the difficulty then? Better drops are really only needed for the more complex stuff, which comes from the New Game+ content.

#41 Edited by Encephalon (1335 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

I always thought of it more like "tweh-wee".

#42 Posted by NegativeCero (3041 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ

@NegativeCero: Why wouldn't you just lower the difficulty then? Better drops are really only needed for the more complex stuff, which comes from the New Game+ content.

I honestly have no idea. It's been so long since I've played it. I would assume that I just wanted to have the best loot even though it wasn't exactly that game. Never knew it had NG+ though. I may finish it, then start NG+ up to the point I left off to remember what happene.
#43 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Yes yes yes yes yes yes

TWEWY was incredible and it's my favourite RPG and while I think it stands alone, I'd love to play a sequel. Bring it!

#44 Edited by Aegon (5850 posts) -

@Encephalon said:

@StarvingGamer said:

I read it as twoo-wee.

Also,

Wake up! Time for us to realize.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

@FluxWaveZ

I honestly have no idea. It's been so long since I've played it. I would assume that I just wanted to have the best loot even though it wasn't exactly that game. Never knew it had NG+ though. I may finish it, then start NG+ up to the point I left off to remember what happene.

The New Game Plus is kind of odd. Basically, it's an alternate universe story that's much more comical and messes around with the characters more for fun than anything else.

#46 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@NegativeCero said:

@FluxWaveZ

The New Game Plus is kind of odd. Basically, it's an alternate universe story that's much more comical and messes around with the characters more for fun than anything else.

If I remember right, that only came after you collected the notes (or whatever they were) that can only be obtained during new game plus. Had to fulfill certain conditions -- though they weren't very difficult, as I recall.

#47 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Oh mah gosh I can't waaaaaait.

#48 Edited by Petiew (1362 posts) -
@Hailinel: That was more of an alternate side story. I'm sure New Game + let you choose and replay chapters and allow you to enter blocked off areas since you could now complete the challenges.

Also, hyped. Hopefully it won't just be a 3DS remake or something equally as dissapointing.
#49 Posted by RecSpec (3949 posts) -

Yeesh, should've just read this first. Everything was figured out already. 

That Twister and Calling mashup is amazing.

#50 Edited by ashogo (944 posts) -

@Encephalon said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Same.

This is great news, TWEWY is one of the most addicting and unique rpgs I've had the pleasure of playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.