Squeenix now announces TWEWY for the IOS... *Crickets chirping*

• 78 results
#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Honestly... I am not mad... I'M FURIOUS!!! I am so damn furious that I turned into my true form dammit!

Yes... I am a bird... with arms... don't judge. Anyways.

Seriously, we all were fucking hyped. All of us. I would have even loved a 3DS remake with KHDDD graphics! I don't think anyone would complain about that! But NOOOOOOO!!! We get a port to the IOS which I am convinced it will either A, Be pirated a shitton. Or B, not bought because it will have bad controls on a damn touch pad! Also, the game is a dual screen oddity... how the fuck are they going to do this?

The game is very capable of giving people hand cramps... I can only imagine that getting worse on a Ipad or something. Seriously Square Enix... just... come on... I am going to be honest... just cancel FF13 versus... I mean. All it is doing is just fucking taking resources from ALL other development areas of the company. It is not just letting all your eggs be in one basket but to leave them out for crocodiles to eat! It is dumb and amazing that they are this unaware of their fans... completely amazing.

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Also, it's $20.

lols

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

This thread title is the fucking worst.

#4 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

It's overpriced like all of SE's mobile games, but since it was a DS game maybe it's justified? They usually do a good job of porting, though Chrono Trigger looked notoriously ass.

also: http://www.reddit.com/r/birdswitharms

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7047 posts) -
@JasonR86

The thread is as well.
#6 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4275 posts) -

If this was on Android, I might care considering I've never played it, but

@Cincaid said:

Also, it's $20.

lols

this. SE seems hellbent on setting a 'premium' price for all their iOS/Android games. I mean c'mon, what the fuck? I can buy 20 $1 games and I'd bet that at least 10 of them would give me just as much, if not more, entertainment than that one game.

#7 Posted by xyzygy (9888 posts) -

I'm told that the dual screen combat plays and important role in the game and is one of the main features. I don't even want to try this version, even if I had an iOS device.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

not bought because it will have bad controls on a damn touch pad!

Even though the game was originally released for the Nintendo DS?

#9 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

They seem to have changed the combat, I can't tell to what degree.

Trailer.

#10 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Yeah I nearly died of disappointment when I found out that it wasn't a sequel.

#11 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

Or B, not bought because it will have bad controls on a damn touch pad!

But the original had bad controls on a damn touch screen.

#12 Posted by AmatureIdiot (1075 posts) -

I might actually pick this up in a sale if the game controls better than the DS game.

#13 Posted by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

I got swayed to the "possibly purchasing" side by that trailer...I'm such a chump. This reminds me that I should finish the game though, I got to the final boss and never touched it again.

#14 Posted by Irvandus (2808 posts) -

I'm excited because I never played the DS version back when I had a DS. Just wanted to throw up the other side of the argument here.

#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Y'all aren't really expecting typical iOS pricing for a Square Enix game, are you? They're Square Enix, they don't have to do that. There are a lot of people who will gladly pay twenty bucks for it.

$20 is still less than you'd pay for the DS game, now or at launch. If you've already played it, yeah you can ignore it and keep playing it on your DS/3DS.

#16 Posted by believer258 (11621 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@JasonR86

The thread is as well.

Name a Jay thread that isn't.

#17 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

I think Jay, you might be overreacting... wait a minute. You're always overreacting.

Anyways it's not like Square discounted that a TWEWY remake or sequel could ever be made. iOS has a healthy amount of users and getting awareness of TWEWY in another market can really only help it gain awareness. That being said, TWEWY was made specifically for the DS and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

#18 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Game never clicked with me. So don't really care.

#19 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Are you ever, like...Relaxed?

#20 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

No buttons No Buy

#21 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

I'm going to buy it and play it. I can't find it for DS for $20 anywhere. So yeah, no complaints from me, AND I charged my iPad up last night for the first time in weeks. Good timing.

#22 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

A countdown clock for an iOS port, eh? May as well have countdown clocks for death of franchises.
So does Square Enix does anything anymore, or just let the Eidos half make all the money? I know Eidos doesn't technically exist anymore, but all the GOOD DECISIONS (Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause, Deus Ex) have been made by what used to be Eidos. The Head/Japanese branch seem to have been just jerking it around for the past 10 years.

#23 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

Look on the bright side; at least Versus XIII ain't cancelled. Right?

Also,

@mrpandaman said:

I think Jay, you might be overreacting... wait a minute. You're always overreacting.

@Cloudenvy said:

OMG, it's like she's saying those exact words :o

#24 Posted by Acura_Max (58 posts) -

At least they are paying some attention to the game. Who knows? This could be their way of raising more hype for a sequel by making the original more well known through wider availability.

#25 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

Bought it for DS years ago and never played it. Should I? I bought it because I heard so many good things about it, but I don't even know what type of game it is.

#26 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

No... I am running off pure rage and the blood of the ancients... which is sadly running thin so I gotta rage more to survive!

#27 Posted by FTomato (233 posts) -

I'd buy it for android, even at that price.

#28 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4623 posts) -

Oh, wow. That's horrendous. That really sucks for fans of the game, too.

#29 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
#30 Posted by MetalBaofu (1347 posts) -

@ckeats said:

I can't find it for DS for $20 anywhere.

Amazon.

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

This probably is him relaxed.

I posted that to save you the trouble.

#32 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

@MetalBaofu: +$10 shipping. Being a Canadian is hard sometimes.

#33 Edited by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

WHAT THE FUCK IS TWEWY

#34 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Cloudenvy said:

This probably is him relaxed.

I posted that to save you the trouble.

Oh you didn't have to do that, I can post Shinobu gifs all day.

(Do it again and I may have to murder you.)

#35 Posted by MetalBaofu (1347 posts) -

@ckeats said:

@MetalBaofu: +$10 shipping. Being a Canadian is hard sometimes.

There were a few other places I saw that had it for 20 or less when I did a Google search. They might all have the same shipping problem, though. $10 for shipping is pretty high, but I'd almost say it's worth it, if it means not having the dual screen combat removed/butchered. I have no idea how this iOS version plays, though.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

@Cloudenvy:

With what? Shinobu GIFs? She's only gonna go for the cat lady or that "I said with a posed look" thing. Or I could just draw a circle on the wall and watch her suck it and paw at it to her heart's delight.

#37 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (319 posts) -

@Bucketdeth:To Wander Every Wondrous Yonder

#38 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Oh trust me, Shinobu can be plenty dangerous. You'll know soon enough.

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

@Cloudenvy:

*transforms into Seto a la Fragile Dreams, shines flashlight on Araragi's shadow* There. Problem solved.

#40 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: That'd work if I had ever played Fragile Dreams and knew what the hell you were talking about, but I haven't!

EDIT: Oh god, now Jay is going to yell at me about Fragile Dreams isn't he?

#41 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Cloudenvy:

*transforms into Seto a la Fragile Dreams, shines flashlight on Araragi's shadow* There. Problem solved.

AHHHHH!!! THE MEMORIES!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

*Curls up in a ball and cries...*

#42 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

@Cloudenvy:

Isn't Shinobu pretty much confined to his shadow?

#43 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: That depends...This will be a much easier conversation to have once Kizumonogatari is out!

#44 Posted by Azquelt (20 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

They seem to have changed the combat, I can't tell to what degree.

Trailer.

Looks like they removed the top-screen combat completely, and added a minigame to the team attack which is a little similar to the top-screen combat on DS.

Presumably the lack of double-screen combat is the reason they've called it "solo remix".

Square Enix's continued strategy of pricing their mobile games at a price comparable to their console games is interesting and worthy of discussion. This looks like a game that will be as fun on the iPhone as it was on the DS, is there any reason it should cost less? TWEWY is worlds apart from most mobile games in terms of complexity. Sure, I'd only pay $1 for another match-3 variant or single button game which I can play for five minutes while waiting for a bus but TWEWY isn't that, it's a game I'd like to sit down and play for an entire evening, no matter what platform it's on.

What we're really asking is this: is there space in the iPhone market for games with the carefully crafted story, gameplay, complexity and budget that we expect from console games? I know that that's something I'm willing to pay for, but I don't know that it'll ever reach the fad-driven price-conscious masses that aren't willing to spend more than $1 on anything.

#45 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Have I told you lately how much I hate the way you write?

#46 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1731 posts) -

@Azquelt said:

Square Enix's continued strategy of pricing their mobile games at a price comparable to their console games is interesting and worthy of discussion. This looks like a game that will be as fun on the iPhone as it was on the DS, is there any reason it should cost less? TWEWY is worlds apart from most mobile games in terms of complexity. Sure, I'd only pay $1 for another match-3 variant or single button game which I can play for five minutes while waiting for a bus but TWEWY isn't that, it's a game I'd like to sit down and play for an entire evening, no matter what platform it's on.

What we're really asking is this: is there space in the iPhone market for games with the carefully crafted story, gameplay, complexity and budget that we expect from console games? I know that that's something I'm willing to pay for, but I don't know that it'll ever reach the fad-driven price-conscious masses that aren't willing to spend more than $1 on anything.

It was discussed on the bombcast a while back that Apple may have inadvertently hurt the potential of iOS systems to be gaming platforms by creating a market where the expected price of games fell into the the $1-5 range. Traditional quality games cannot be sold at that price and still make a profit. What Squeenix is doing is trying to reclaim that a bit, and they are doing it by offering a significant discount on a game that came out and was critically acclaimed for a more traditional gaming system. But, as you can notice in this thread, the knee-jerk reaction is going to be that it's priced to high. It may be possible to make headway into getting more substantive games onto these systems, but I think it's going to be a massive up hill struggle with many people digging their feet in the whole way.

That said, a countdown clock to this? On a personal level, it's disappointing. I am interested to see how games like this can do on the iOS or Android systems from an... 'academic' point of view, but as someone who prefers to play games on the PC and dedicated consoles, it feels like Squeenix is wasting my time.

#47 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Cloudenvy Is that ugly little girl a super saiyan?
#48 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

I'm just disappointed, they need something to pull their reputation out of the shitter, and twenty quid for a game that they made limited amounts of on DS, effectively fucking everyone over (I only got a lend of it, I actually couldn't find it when it came out at all), and practically forcing the hands of people who want to play it, isn't going to help them.

The honest truth? I'm not surprised, I'm only angry at myself for thinking that Square could, for once in this rather piss-poor generation, pull something that people actually want and praise out of their collective mind-holes and try to at least repair the damage they've done to the fanbase's perception of them.

They won't bother though, they'll pump out XIII-3, bull their way through all the negativity of XIV, never release Kingdom Hearts 3 or Vs. XIII, and when all is said and done, they'll still be overcharging for a fucking iOS title, that shouldn't be that price, seeing as the game is four years old. I'm not against iOS games, but holy fucking shit, 20 quid? Good luck with that.

#49 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

What is TWEWY prease?

#50 Posted by ProfessorEss (7277 posts) -

I felt that game was pure gimmick on the DS (top to bottom) so I say why not release it on the newest, most gimmick-based platform of the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.