This game's title has always bothered me... where is the stress?

#1 Posted by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -
#2 Edited by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

I've never understood which is the proper way to say this game title. The meaning changes depending on where you put the stress:

The World Ends WITH You

-suggests the world is ending alongside you. As you are "ending" so does the world. Stressing "with" ties your meaning with the "world".

The World Ends With YOU

-suggests that "you" are the final event at the end of the world, you "are" the end. Stressing "you" ties the meaning of the world to "you".

So which way is it?

#3 Posted by Class_A_Ninja (55 posts) -

I think it is all supposed to be said stress free, but you is my vote. Just bought it on IPad !

#4 Posted by Brendan (8016 posts) -

I always put the stress on the YOU.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

I always thought the emphasis was on world, actually... now that I think about it. but out of the two, I suppose you would also work.

#6 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

You. A large part of the game in understanding your perception of the events going on around you and how you relate to them. So "you" is the important factor. I also kind of agree though that there isn't a need to emphasize any single word.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The World Ends with You.

#8 Posted by BananaHace (65 posts) -

The World Ends With You

Iambic style represent.

#9 Edited by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

@Animasta said:

I always thought the emphasis was on world, actually... now that I think about it. but out of the two, I suppose you would also work.

There is stress on World. It's also on Ends. I just do not know if, after that, the third stress goes on End or You. I don't know if the stress pattern is

*stressstressstress*
theworldendswithyou

-------------------------------------------------- or -----------------------------------------------------

*stressstress*stress
theworldendswithyou

@BrockNRolla said:

I also kind of agree though that there isn't a need to emphasize any single word.

well, you'll stress it regardless, I'm wondering how you do it internally. You stress different words in sentences regardless if you do it consciously or not. In most cases it doesn't matter but in some it does. In this case, the location of the stress changes the meaning of the sentence.

#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

I seen the title as a metaphor for the main characters narrow perspective. He dislikes other people, and is a loner. There is no one else in his life, thus his world ends with him.

#11 Posted by Bocam (3808 posts) -

Considering the game's actual title is "It's a Wonderful World". I would say neither.

#12 Edited by BananaHace (65 posts) -

Um excuse me, some of us suffer from PTSD and as such it is not recommended for us to "stress" certain things as far as I am aware.

I've gotten through life without "stressing" over words or whatever, and I hope you would do the same.

#13 Posted by golguin (4009 posts) -

"Listen up, Phones. The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go."

When he told that to Neku in the game the title made sense. The world exists as far as you know of it. Live in your room all day and the world seems like shit. Go out and experience places, events, and people and it will seem pretty open. The world is as big or small as you make it.

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

The world; ends with you

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.