Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Details Emerge, Fail to Justify Wholesale Butchering of the English Language

• 75 results
Posted by Alex (1946 posts) -

No doubt the announcement of Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy late last week has kept you up many a night since, pondering everything from which of your favorite Final Fantasy characters will find their way into this theatrically rhythmic piece of insanity, to where the line between portmanteau and complete nonsense word must ultimately be drawn.

Rhythm battling! That's happening!

While Square Enix will likely be of little help on the latter matter, the former has been cleared up a bit via some new details released this morning (and translated/posted by Andriasang).

Evidently, Theatrhythm will feature characters from all 13 main entries in the Final Fantasy series. Before you scream something at your monitor about how this is butchering the Final Fantasy canon, take a deep, calming breath, as Squeenix has you covered. Each cast will have its own set of three stages, which you can tackle via a party of four characters of your choosing. Those different stage sets will each have their own differing gameplay mechanics as well, though exactly how they're different has not yet been explained.

You can see the new Chibi art style in the embedded screenshots. Though exact character lists have not yet been announced, major characters like Cloud, Lightning, and whoever the hell it is that people cared about in Final Fantasy XI will likely be included.

Something is happening! Probably with rhythm!

The exact nature of the rhythm-based gameplay is still a bit of a mystery, though Square Enix has noted that a number of major songs from the numbered entries in the franchise will be included in the game, such as:

Lastly, we have the game's storyline, which, as translated by Andriasang, is absurd.

== TEASER ==
Apparently, the space between the gods Chaos and Cosmos is known as "Rhythm." "Rhythm" gives birth to the crystal which controls music, and fills the world with sound. However, the forces of chaos have disrupted the peace, and the crystal has begin to lose its shine. To restore the crystal's shine, the music wave "Rizpo" must be increased. And so, the warriors, guided by the crystal, begin their journey of music.

That sounds totally reasonable, right?

As great as a Final Fantasy spin on an Electric Light Orchestra album sounds, we'll reserve any and all judgment until we've seen some actual gameplay.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Alex (1946 posts) -

No doubt the announcement of Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy late last week has kept you up many a night since, pondering everything from which of your favorite Final Fantasy characters will find their way into this theatrically rhythmic piece of insanity, to where the line between portmanteau and complete nonsense word must ultimately be drawn.

Rhythm battling! That's happening!

While Square Enix will likely be of little help on the latter matter, the former has been cleared up a bit via some new details released this morning (and translated/posted by Andriasang).

Evidently, Theatrhythm will feature characters from all 13 main entries in the Final Fantasy series. Before you scream something at your monitor about how this is butchering the Final Fantasy canon, take a deep, calming breath, as Squeenix has you covered. Each cast will have its own set of three stages, which you can tackle via a party of four characters of your choosing. Those different stage sets will each have their own differing gameplay mechanics as well, though exactly how they're different has not yet been explained.

You can see the new Chibi art style in the embedded screenshots. Though exact character lists have not yet been announced, major characters like Cloud, Lightning, and whoever the hell it is that people cared about in Final Fantasy XI will likely be included.

Something is happening! Probably with rhythm!

The exact nature of the rhythm-based gameplay is still a bit of a mystery, though Square Enix has noted that a number of major songs from the numbered entries in the franchise will be included in the game, such as:

Lastly, we have the game's storyline, which, as translated by Andriasang, is absurd.

== TEASER ==
Apparently, the space between the gods Chaos and Cosmos is known as "Rhythm." "Rhythm" gives birth to the crystal which controls music, and fills the world with sound. However, the forces of chaos have disrupted the peace, and the crystal has begin to lose its shine. To restore the crystal's shine, the music wave "Rizpo" must be increased. And so, the warriors, guided by the crystal, begin their journey of music.

That sounds totally reasonable, right?

As great as a Final Fantasy spin on an Electric Light Orchestra album sounds, we'll reserve any and all judgment until we've seen some actual gameplay.

Staff Online
#2 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2375 posts) -

The Character art on this looks crazy.

#3 Posted by murse2008 (239 posts) -

Shocker

#4 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

You can always tell if Alex wrote a headline.

#5 Posted by matrix_hiei (143 posts) -

Wait, what?

#6 Posted by Sil3n7 (1176 posts) -

@august said:

That's exactly what I thought ha!

#7 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

All this talk about rhythm games makes me only want a new Ouendan.

Makes you think why the fuck isn't there a new fucking Ouendan.

Fuck.

#8 Posted by Beforet (2911 posts) -

How can you butcher a language that is already little more than a Frankenstein like combination of German and French?

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (35851 posts) -

Looks like I'm not the only person who loves the Sunleth Waterscape music, but I am apparently the only person who loves Dancing Mad, too.

#10 Posted by Seraphim84 (404 posts) -

I'm gonna say it "Thee-uh-trih-thum" until I hear official word that says to the contrary.

#11 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Kinda wish i kept my 3DS.. oh well, the 3DS "lite" will be out before this hits NA anyways.

#12 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

the final fantasy 13 stages will play themselves. just kidding i liked that game

#13 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

@august said:

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7040 posts) -

@Sil3n7 said:

@august said:

Same. His headlines are usually pretty awesome.

#15 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

this seems like half a game.

#16 Posted by GoldBlaze (48 posts) -

Final Fantasy/ELO crossover confirmed?

#17 Posted by darkjester74 (1566 posts) -

Alex, you totally made all of that shit up, didn't you?

#18 Posted by lucianotassis (77 posts) -

Square simply doesn't know what to do with the Final Fantasy franchise anymore. It is a monster now. :)

#19 Posted by MindOST (215 posts) -
Uh.... 

I guess if they release the soundtrack with new versions of classic Final Fantasy tunes, I'll end up buying that. 

So.... yay? I guess?
#20 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

What the fuck is going on with SquareEnix? Jesus.

#21 Posted by paulunga (1904 posts) -

Final Fantasy XI being included makes me so happy. I might have stopped playing that game 2-3 years ago but I still listen to the album collection pretty much every night or whenever else I'm reading. Hell, Song of Susannah and Sanctuary of Zi'tah are pretty much one in my head from listening to that song on loop for so long while reading that book.

So yeah, I want that one. Or Gustaberg. Or my former home nation, San d'Oria.

#22 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

I'm about as interested in this as I am in Dora the Explorer branded band-aids.

#23 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -
@Video_Game_King:  Nope, I love both of those songs too.
#24 Edited by DrJota (700 posts) -

She cried to the southern wind,about a love that was sure to end.Everything in her heart was gone,waiting for a showdown.

#25 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -
@paulunga:  FFXI had an amazing soundtrack =D

@Alex: "and whoever the hell it is that people cared about in Final Fantasy XI will likely be included."

Probably Shantotto, everybody loved that stupid Tarutaru...
#26 Posted by MeatSim (10741 posts) -

They should break dance fight.

#27 Posted by TobbRobb (4555 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Dancing Mad is awesome! A favorite from that game.
#28 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2088 posts) -

I would be ever so slightly more interested in this if The Black Mages' music was used.

#29 Posted by RecSpec (3754 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Dancing Mad is amazing.

This game looks kinda Gitaroo Man/ Elite Beat Agents, which has my hopes up.

#30 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4611 posts) -

Am I the only one that thinks this game looks at least interesting? I'm curious to see how a rhythm game and an RPG can be combined.

#31 Posted by Mento (2421 posts) -

Honestly, given the recent trend in Final Fantasy spin-offs, I have zero expectations for this game. Hopefully it's a pleasant surprise.

#32 Posted by Deusoma (3000 posts) -

Isn't At Zanarkand the main theme of X? The slow, soft, intentionally saddening theme of X that wouldn't fit at all in a rhythm game?

#33 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -

@Deusoma said:

Isn't At Zanarkand the main theme of X? The slow, soft, intentionally saddening theme of X that wouldn't fit at all in a rhythm game?

Correct on all counts, although the track is titled "To Zanarkand" in the English version.

#34 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

Rhythm games are cool I guess.

#35 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Rhythm games are dead, guess that makes it a perfect fit for Final Fantasy...

I'm just kidding, please don't kill me.

#36 Posted by Skooky (473 posts) -

The at rhythm?

#37 Posted by believer258 (11570 posts) -

Wait... that's Lightning in the bottom left corner, isn't it? What a change of pace. 

I never played the game, but I don't think I've ever seen her smile. For that matter, I don't think I've ever seen a screenshot or video of FF13 where one of the characters smiled.

#38 Posted by Overbite (198 posts) -

This looks stupid as hell.

#39 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

This looks genuinely cool. Since when does crazy ever stopped Final Fantasy, or any japanese game, from being good?

#40 Posted by JackSukeru (5899 posts) -

So wassup, they dancin'?

#41 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

for every game i see with Final Fantasy in the title, another giant nail is being hammered into the extremities of square enix. its only a matter of time before they bleed to death.

#42 Edited by HyperionXR (272 posts) -

Wow Square.... I have no words for what you have become. Rhythm games and a painfully dull-looking sequel to FF13 can't save you. Stop fucking about and get back to making decent games.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the only promising future title they had, FF Versus 13? (Jesus, these names are killing me.) That game looked pretty phenomenal.

#43 Posted by goldkear (15 posts) -

wait, there are 14 main series games, or is squeenix just pretending that ff14 didn't even happen?

#44 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

It looks a little like you got your Final Fantasy in my Elite Beat Agents and I got my Elite Beat Agents in your Final Fantasy.

#45 Posted by Turambar (6641 posts) -

Day one purchase.

#46 Posted by Turambar (6641 posts) -
@goldkear said:
wait, there are 14 main series games, or is squeenix just pretending that ff14 didn't even happen?
I think they are better off doing just that.
#47 Posted by Legend (2646 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Sil3n7 said:

@august said:

Same. His headlines are usually pretty awesome.

Yep.

#48 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

ill probibly play it once and then it will sit on my shelf for the rest of time but hey im still gona get 
it it looks like it could pass some time on a boring day (i happen to have alot of them rite now)

#49 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -
@paulunga said:

Final Fantasy XI being included makes me so happy. I might have stopped playing that game 2-3 years ago but I still listen to the album collection pretty much every night or whenever else I'm reading. Hell, Song of Susannah and Sanctuary of Zi'tah are pretty much one in my head from listening to that song on loop for so long while reading that book.

So yeah, I want that one. Or Gustaberg. Or my former home nation, San d'Oria.

High five! The music in that game was sooo relaxing.
#50 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

Just for the the record I think "Thaertrythm" is about a million times better than "365/2 days" or whatever the fuck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.