Thief is Coming Back on Next-Gen Consoles (and PC)

• 189 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -

The fourth game in the Thief series, simply titled Thief, is coming next year for PC, PlayStation 4 and "next-gen consoles," (aka whatever Microsoft calls the next Xbox) the latest Game Informer confirms.

Rumors of a new Thief game from Eidos Montreal have circulated for years, but as goes the realm of the AAA video game, nothing’s official until it finally appears on the cover of Game Informer.

I’m told Square Enix and Eidos Interactive were close to revealing Thief years ago, but it was a bit rough, and chose to spend a few more years developing the game, allowing Deus Ex: Human Revolution to remain in the spotlight. Given the huge response to Deus Ex, it seems like the right move now.

I’m now acutely reminded that I’ve never played Thief: Deadly Shadows because of my reaction to Deus Ex: Invisible War, despite the overwhelming praise I’ve heard for a horror section known as The Cradle. Maybe now is the time to fix that mistake...

Staff
#1 Posted by leejunfan83 (949 posts) -

yes

#2 Posted by groposo (20 posts) -

Fucking yes!!!

#3 Posted by Gerbik (8 posts) -

Fuck yeah!

#4 Posted by SM5240 (144 posts) -

Fantastic news!

#5 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

Year of the Bow lives on.

#6 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

Well at least "Thief" is better than "Thi4f"

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Why wasn't it called Thi4f. :(

#8 Posted by PAJZ (10 posts) -

If Patrick hasn't played The Cradle and calls himself a fan of horror then he needs to play it asap.

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Eidos back in form, got to love it! British development yo!

#10 Edited by VoidProd (93 posts) -

Let me be the first to say: Yay!

#11 Posted by BatmanBatman (312 posts) -

Kewl

#12 Posted by Shadowjester (93 posts) -

Maybe they'll decide to actually have some verticallity (if that is even a word) in the level design this time. The lack there of as well as the number of loading screens really ruined Thief 3 for me personally.

#13 Posted by DaBuddaDa (290 posts) -

That cover art is sick.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Neat. I could never get into the previous Thief games but I always loved them in concept. Hopefully this will be the one to do it.

#15 Posted by Nardak (461 posts) -

Hopefully the game will prove worthy of its predecessors.

#16 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Looks more like Thief Deadly Shadows then it does Thief 2. Not necessarily a bad thing but there's a certain...way that D2 plays that DS didn't Same thing I thought with Deus Ex and Human Revolution. Had it's heart in the right place but not so sure if it really nailed it.

#17 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Stealth? More like Suckealth, amirite or amirite?

#18 Posted by ansys (62 posts) -

Mr Patrick Klepek, you sir, are a console fan boy!!! If nextgen consoles are just pc inside, then why is PC mention last???

#19 Edited by peritus (951 posts) -

Unexpected! Awesome!

#20 Posted by whylessness (77 posts) -

wat

#21 Edited by HappyCheeze (89 posts) -

If the Human Revolution team can work their magic into this I will be a happy taffer!

#22 Posted by peritus (951 posts) -

@ansys: It's not though is it? :-p

#23 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1225 posts) -

Do you mean Thief or Thi4f?

#24 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

I love that devs and publishers are now starting to finally announce their next gen games.

#25 Posted by dox (108 posts) -

That is a very nice girdle he is wearing.

#26 Edited by Glottery (1101 posts) -

For the love of god, make this a proper stealth game then...Dishonored already gave me some mild Thief vibes in certain levels, so I hope this will do that around 10 times better.

#27 Posted by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

I... kinda wanted them to make another Deus Ex game.

#28 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -
#29 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

YES!!!

Thief 1 and 2 are among the best games ever made and even Deadly shadows had some amazing moments, can't tell you how stoked I am for another Thief game.

Screenshots over here!

If this game is a launch title I am buying a next gen console day 1.

#30 Edited by MrBubbles (743 posts) -

YAY!!!!! I love the thief games! I have been waiting for this since deadly shadows!

Garret is a badass

#31 Edited by JackSukeru (5898 posts) -

Water Arrow!

I've never played any of the games but I am interested in this.

#32 Edited by Reisz (1455 posts) -

Excellent.

#33 Edited by bhlaab (140 posts) -

The Cradle is not worth playing Thief 3 for, sorry.

#34 Posted by ectoplasma (960 posts) -

First we gotta see how many QTE are in there.

#35 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

Patrick, do yourself a favour if you haven't already and play the original, of all the people at GiantBomb I think you are the most likely to deeply appreciate one of the most unrivalled achievements of atmosphere in games.

On topic though, this doesn't quite look like the Thief I know and love (I know it's only just one bit of pre-release art) I don't know why I thought it would be at this point but hey, I'm just worried they're gonna turn it into an Assassins Creed-type affair which I'm sure some would welcome, I sure as hell wouldn't.

If there's Keepers, Hammers and Pagans all over the place then that could more than sway me though.

#36 Edited by crimsonlordofwar (137 posts) -

Umm....Mr. Klepek, putting a PC classic like Thief in brackets and to the side will only make your day worse.

Although I get the joke, I'm not quite so sure others will find it to terribly funny(a lot of humorless fanboys out there).

#37 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

So much has changed (even in just the last few years) with stealth-action games, so I'm curious to see what they absorb from recent developments and what new stuff they're going to bring to the table. For all its minor flaws, Dishonored really managed to shake things up a bit on the stealth front. Perhaps we might see some refined version of some of those mechanics--verticality, in particular, but also that feeling of speed and precision that the game gives you. Not that I want Thief to be all about first-person platforming, but it was damned fun in Dishonored and I wouldn't mind a different take on it. It's good to see a reboot for the franchise coming to next-gen consoles.

#38 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

So I'm all positive about the game, then I see this over at Gamespot:

"...the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague..."

Okay, okay, let's hope they're not stealing (thieving?) too much from Dishonored. But this sort of thing starts to make me worry.

#39 Edited by BaconGames (3285 posts) -

#yearofthebowagain

#40 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

I may have actually squealed hearing this news

#41 Posted by von_wemberg (158 posts) -

Glad to finally hear news on this game!

#42 Posted by Iodine (540 posts) -

I'm wet

#43 Edited by TangoUp (307 posts) -

I've never played Thief but the premise looks promising. What's up with the Cradle stuff? Does Thief have horror elements in it?

#44 Posted by justjim89 (5 posts) -

Brb guys, gonna go club my taffer, if you know what I mean.

#45 Posted by swaney (21 posts) -

Let's hope they continue the series heavy emphasis on stealth.

#46 Edited by seamuspaxman (55 posts) -

i really enjoyed the thief series... these screenshots don't really offer that old dark vibe the series was known for.

it never took place in the day.

the fuck is with garrett wearing the whole ninja thing?

NOT HAPPY.

#47 Posted by Govannan (25 posts) -
#48 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

@tangoup said:

I've never played Thief but the premise looks promising. What's up with the Cradle stuff? Does Thief have horror elements in it?

Yeah, that cradle section had some pretty creepy atmosphere. Very memorable too, I haven't played Deadly Shadows since it was originally released back in 2003, but I still remember portions of that game very fondly.

#49 Edited by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -

Fucking finally!

#50 Edited by Veektarius (4541 posts) -

They did well by Deus Ex, I have some faith to spare for Eidos right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.