Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Thief

Franchise »

The Thief franchise consists of a series of first-person "sneaker" games, where you play as a master thief named Garrett, in a large sprawling steampunk-medieval metropolis simply known as "the City."

Thief is Coming Back on Next-Gen Consoles (and PC)

• 190 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@august said:

@matoyak: GOG.com (easier to mod) and this patch for Thief 1 and this patch for Thief 2.

Thief 3 either gog.com or Steam and play vanilla.

I did not know the GOG version is easier to mod. I bought the whole pack last year when steam had it on sale. Was nice revisiting an old game. Thief 2 is still the best pure stealth game ever made. I am now interested in playing T2X and I got it to work but the movies won't play. Hopefully I can solves this.

I really hope they are gonna keep the same art style for the cutscenes and for the love of all that is holy, keep the same voice actor for Garrett.

mattclassic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I remember when there were rumors of a new Thief game taking place in a modern/near-future setting, but a modern/near-future Thief setting. Like the setting of the earlier games fast-forwarded a few hundred years, so you'd get to see how their weird magic steampunk world would have advanced. That would have been cool.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fantastic! My wife will rejoice at this news. She has been teased for a long time.

GrumpyMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154  Edited By GrumpyMoose

I read this on ign and the story sounds exactly like Dishonored. I would have liked a more original approach to the story, however i am happy to hear another thief is coming.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bunch of water-arrow loving taffers in this thread.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I am excited about this news, the cover art (which looks great) gives me mix feelings. The color palate and art style reminds me a little of Dishonor, but the magic-eye shit going on pushes it further into that realm too. Did the main character ever have powers? I certainly don't remember that.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By toowalrus

@alexandersheen said:

@winternet said:

Stealth? More like Suckealth, amirite or amirite?

I heard it on the Bombcast that "nobody likes stealth games." So yes, you are absolutely right, young man.

Already during the Hotspot days, Jeff said that stealth was done for. Here is a transcript: "Stealth is done, man. Uhhh. Hiding? Whatever. (...) Vision cones? Like, what is this, like the 70's man? C'mon. Cracking dudes in the face with blunt objects and shooting them in the back of the head, that's where the action is. Not hiding and dragging bodies."

Wait, why do I know that?

'cause you're awesome and have a Max Payne avatar?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To my everlasting shame, I've never played a Thief game but I'm still real excited for this.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By probablytuna

While I never truly experienced the Thief series, I am excited about this because I am confident Eidos Montreal will make a fine ass stealth game.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#160  Edited By Cybexx

This is turning into Decade of the Bow. Moss Arrow away!

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

YEAH! Fucking finally!

ArchTeckGuru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By ArchTeckGuru8

please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please dont turn into a generic fps please drop the lame looking composite high teck crossbow

the first two games were my favorite games back in the late 90s

twhalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By twhalen

I'm at once joyful and skeptical. As a diehard fan of the originals and lurker at ttlg since forever ago, I will probably be pissed off by this game. But at the same time, knowing a new Thief game is coming, wondering how they'll bring back all the Thief elements in terms of both gameplay and fiction... this is awesome! If I accept that this is not being made just for longtime Thief fans but also for mass audience, maybe I won't be let down.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Patrick - I'm not a big fan of horror, but I've played and read into The Cradle. You need to check it out, it's a special thing. The games themselves are pretty good, but for me that's one of the standout creepy moments in any title.

Tupacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

YES! been waiting for this for a long time. Ever since assassins creed was announced, all it reminded me of was how I wanted another their game, as different as the series are.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet, looking forward to more news on this.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thief Deadly Shadows was a great, atmospheric game. Cool medieval setting, good voice acting and story. The level design holds up but the game mechanics are a bit dodge by todays standards.

will_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored was a nice attempt at taking on the Thief formula but not quite enough to fill that hole (its a big hole). Just give me my water arrows, blackjack, and steampunkish gadgets.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#169  Edited By Sunjammer

It's a reboot, then. Practically nothing in those screenies remind me of Thief 1 or 2 (2 is the absolute pinnacle of the series IMHO), but more an evolution of Thief 3 heavily crossbred with Dishonored. I'm not seeing any hammers, pagans or keepers, and the story notes seem to be a retread of Thief 2 without the grand politics.

I can't help but feel a little wistful. This isn't "my" Thief; Stephen Russell is an old man, his voice is going, I will eat my hat if he voices Garrett in this one, if it's even Garrett at all. The original games had UI for sure but it didn't intrude on the world. I don't need "Thief-vision" or whatever, I want to skulk and listen at doors and peer through shadows. These guys even talking about combat as though it's a viable option makes me sad.

I'm sure it'll be wonderful (games typically are these days) but all I want to do right now is boot up Thief 2 again and run across the rooftops of Life of the party.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Patrick you owe it to yourself to play Thief: Deadly Shadows. Its a magnificent game on the whole, not just because of the Cradle level. I hope you enjoy it. Have you played the first games too?!

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is the little video on Game Informer

Loading Video...

TOA_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By TOA_Doom

Awesome. I've always hoped someone was eventually going to do this.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@august said:

@yinstarrunner said:

For the love of God Patrick, don't play Deadly Shadows. Play Thief 1 and 2 first. They're masterpieces, and they have their share of horror elements too.

@haggis said:

So I'm all positive about the game, then I see this over at Gamespot:

"...the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague..."

Okay, okay, let's hope they're not stealing (thieving?) too much from Dishonored. But this sort of thing starts to make me worry.

It's not exactly an original concept and Dishonored doesn't own it. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a zombie-like plague mentioned in Thief 1, and you even go into a part of town that was closed off and quarantined because of it.

Sound familiar?

Not to mention the the game has been in production for about 5 years. The plot and vo were probably laid down years ago.

As I said in my earlier response, it would be foolish to release a game too like Dishonored no matter when the game went into development or where the ideas came from. The fact that so many of us on this thread have mentioned Dishonored, even jokingly, illustrates the point. I don't mind if they're mostly similar (they're both stealth games, so that's a given) but too much similarity is going to be a turn off.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot wait for this game! Been wanting another Thief game for years now!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I continue to be amazed at the about face S-E has made in the last year.

Namely, that their japanese division, which was historically their strongest area, doesn't quite know what to do, and their new western development wing (Eidos) keeps hitting them out of the park.

householddutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: Nah, Garrett never had any magic powers. He did however (I suppose this is a spoiler) lose an eye near the end of the first game to have it replaced with a neat steampunk eye from the Hammer Faction. You remember The Eye and the whole Trickster God thing right? I don't know...are they going to come up with some other way for him to have a gimped eye? I get that they need to re-envision some story beats, but The Eye was pretty important. You also get some minor Keeper abilities in the third game, which just amounts to opening secret doors.

But yeah, him having magical powers would kind of cheapen the character. Aside from the stuff mentioned above, you stole and skulked and knocked dudes out without any magical cone-sight junk to assist you. Hanging out in a dark corner for a few minutes and listening to dudes patrolling is probably why "no-one likes stealth games", but it just makes it too easy otherwise. Leaning the areas and routs of the npcs was half the fun for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@haggis said:

So I'm all positive about the game, then I see this over at Gamespot:

"...the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague..."

Okay, okay, let's hope they're not stealing (thieving?) too much from Dishonored. But this sort of thing starts to make me worry.

The art style could also be easily mistaken for a Dishonored 2.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Ghostiet

It's a reboot, then. Practically nothing in those screenies remind me of Thief 1 or 2 (2 is the absolute pinnacle of the series IMHO), but more an evolution of Thief 3 heavily crossbred with Dishonored. I'm not seeing any hammers, pagans or keepers, and the story notes seem to be a retread of Thief 2 without the grand politics.

I can't help but feel a little wistful. This isn't "my" Thief; Stephen Russell is an old man, his voice is going, I will eat my hat if he voices Garrett in this one, if it's even Garrett at all. The original games had UI for sure but it didn't intrude on the world. I don't need "Thief-vision" or whatever, I want to skulk and listen at doors and peer through shadows. These guys even talking about combat as though it's a viable option makes me sad.

I'm sure it'll be wonderful (games typically are these days) but all I want to do right now is boot up Thief 2 again and run across the rooftops of Life of the party.

Man, you just made me sad, because you reminded me that this game is probably not going to be like the first two at all. : (

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay!

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the first two games in the series, but the way the industry is going they'll probably make you kill 1000 guys in each level...

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loading Video...

TEEF

Areian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Woo! A new Thief game. It has been too long. I hope they can do the series justice.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the first two games in the series, but the way the industry is going they'll probably make you kill 1000 guys in each level...

Juts like you had to kill 1000 guys in Human Revolution?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assinass said:

@s10129107 said:

Loading Video...

TEEF

"Thief" sounds really bad in pretty much every language except english. It's worse than Sephiroth.

brazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking love Thief and I have been at a loss as to why this series has been dormant for so long. Every game in the series has been solid.

Talon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Thief: Deadly Shadows, but I never played the first two. Actually I really liked the 2nd Deus Ex game as well, even if it wasn't as good as the original.

DE:HR makes me believe that this going to be pretty good as well, although I hope it'll have enough aspects from the first two that fans of those games will be happy with it too.

Talon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Talon64

I really liked Thief: Deadly Shadows, but I never played the first two. Actually I really liked the 2nd Deus Ex game as well, even if it wasn't as good as the original.

DE:HR makes me believe that this going to be pretty good as well, although I hope it'll have enough aspects from the first two that fans of those games will be happy with it too.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By zenmastah

Deadly Shadows was glorious, kinda interested where theyll take the series next.

Need to see/hear more though.

donaldkhogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By donaldkhogan

Patrick,

If you go back and play deadly shadows, just keep in mind that the cradle section was scary back then because no one had done anything like it at the time. Not that I had played anyway. It was a truly terrifying sequence, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up today. That said, I'm going to install it on my laptop immediately and play it again myself.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#191  Edited By metalmoog

I've never heard of this franchise. Why?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthew said:

Year of the Bow lives on.

i know right? it's just a matter of time for 'The Bow' the game.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the PC version is optimized really well and isn't a shoddy port.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.