Are you excited for Thief?

• 165 results
Posted by GERALTITUDE (3504 posts) 1 year, 10 days ago

Poll: Are you excited for Thief? (375 votes)

Yes 25%
No 29%
I'm going to buy it, full price 11%
I'm going to buy it, on sale 18%
I have it pre-ordered 9%
PC 22%
PS3 3%
PS4 13%
360 4%
XB1 5%
I'm getting it at some point, but mostly because there are so few games out for next-gen 9%
I'm getting it because I'm a Thief fan! 13%
I'm getting it because I'm an Eidos Montreal fan! 8%
I'm getting it because I'm a stealth fan! 15%
I'm getting it! For some reason! 10%
Thief will be a huge critical and commercial hit and will spawn a sequel 3%
Thief will dissapoint Square Enix but it will be a success by critical standards 9%
Thief will receive mixed reviews, but sell super well 7%
Thief will disappoint on all fronts 14%
Thief will be a classic, and sit alongside its predecessors on the Throne of Stealth 3%
Show me them answers 23%
#51 Posted by Humanity (10070 posts) -

MAn, Shalesbridge Cradle and the ghost ship? Those were really terrifying levels for me.

#52 Posted by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -

I wouldn't say I'm excited, maybe intrigued? I've never played a Thief game so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Reading about it has made me want to try out Dishonored though, which is another game I've never played.

#53 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'll buy. Actually, I really enjoyed the last Thief game. Looking forward to more.

#54 Posted by Beb (261 posts) -

I want to be excited for it - but the buzz hasn't been so hot, so far.

I will buy it right away if it turns out to be any good (for whatever the best platform is). I will probably buy it on sale if it turns out to be sort of bad (Steam sale). It would have to be an atrocity for me to never pick it up at all.

I have a bad feeling this game will tank, and I will have to settle for stealth-style Dishonored, which was a lot more like Thief than I thought it would be.

#55 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12114 posts) -

I am interested in seeing what a modern interpretation of Thief is, but I am also willing to wait and buy it for $10 in 2 years if it turns out to be bad.

#56 Posted by Sinusoidal (1804 posts) -

I loved the shit out of Thief 1 and 2, but I have little faith in Eidos being able to accurately recreate that experience. And, let's be honest here, the stealth genre has more or less died for a reason. We don't play games to hide from our enemies, we play games to lay waste to our enemies!

#57 Edited by Steadying (1473 posts) -

Nah. Looks hella goofy, and the fact that they removed leveling up makes it even less interesting to me.

I might buy it when it's 20 dollars a month after it comes out. (Not saying it will be terrible, just that Square Enix games seem to become cheap weirdly fast).

#58 Posted by Solh0und (1849 posts) -

As long as it's more entertaining than Dishonored, I'm interested.

#59 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3504 posts) -

Nah. Looks hella goofy, and the fact that they removed leveling up makes it even less interesting to me.

I might buy it when it's 20 dollars a month after it comes out. (Not saying it will be terrible, just that Square Enix games seem to become cheap weirdly fast).

Tell that to Tomb Raider! I was excited to get the PS4 version until they said 59.99

#60 Posted by crithon (3443 posts) -

I really loved Deus Ex Human Revolution, flaws and all. Kinda hoping these guys nail it, but also, the original creators of Thief have already moved on in their own ways by creating Dishonored. So if this does fail then it's not like the idea of a steampunk mixed in with magic and mid evil setting can't survive.

#61 Posted by Hayt (340 posts) -

When it comes to whether or not I'm excited for Thief my answer is always "Xbox 360".

Also Thief 4 looks mechanically interesting but creatively dead, it seems to lack everything that made The City interesting.

#62 Posted by Hayt (340 posts) -
@darji said:

But according to the developers there will be no monster bullshit..... IF there is I will be really really disappointed...

Are you talking gameplay wise or setting wise? If you disliked the undead levels or whatever from Thief 1/2 I can get that but if you mean you don't like the Cradle, Karath-din, Pagans, Hammerites and Keepers then what the hell dude.

#63 Posted by afabs515 (1326 posts) -

I've never played a Thief game before, but heard they were decent. I've been seeing this game on steam for a while now, so I guess they subliminally got me excited for it. After playing great stealth games like Hitman: Absolution (also published by SquareEnix), Dishonored, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (by Eidos), I'm looking forward to it. Hope it turns out well. It seems like I love stealth games, but great ones are so far and few between that I don't get enough.

#64 Posted by MegaLombax (425 posts) -

Never played a thief game before. Looks intriguing tho. I've always thought the thief series had no supernatural elements to it, but from the latest trailer, the game is heading towards that direction? That could make me less interested in playing it but i am intrigued nonetheless.

#65 Posted by AlmightyBoob (87 posts) -

#66 Posted by Veektarius (5019 posts) -

I'm torn between Patrick's extremely negative remarks about this game at earlier stages and my complete disregard for everything Patrick says about everything.

#67 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

It won't be dripping with atmosphere like the first two, it'll be more cartoony like Deadly Shadows was, and it will be made waaaaaaaay too easy with Garret being some kind of ninja BAMF who can quick-time his way out of a scrape. The whole point about the first two games was that Garret SUCKED. The only thing he does well is stand still. The guards you ran into were better sword fighters with faster attacks, and Garret couldn't even out run guards! That's right, the nimbly thief was actually slower than the bigger, more athletic cops. (and wearing a giant pimp cape didn't help)

@almightyboob: Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, yeah reading through that confirms all my suspicion. Garret has been Fishered up and sneaking around will be optional. I'll be shocked if he doesn't have some magic bullshit crystal inserted in his ear so someone can spoon-feed you objectives and advance the plot inside your head.

#68 Edited by noizy (716 posts) -

All these options and the one I would vote for isn't there, namely "I'll wait to read reviews, and see if it's worth my time and money."

Is everyone here in the business of making predictions, assumptions and pre-purchases? Tsk tsk tsk. ;)

#69 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4883 posts) -

I'm looking forward to Thief. I don't have any connection to the original series, so maybe that will help.

Also Eidos Montreal hit it out of the park with Human Revolution. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for Thief. They earned that much.

#70 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

Eidos Montreal are the guys who did the latest Deus Ex game, right? If its anything like that I'm down. I might not buy it outright because I have no previous experience with the Thief series, but I'll check it out when the reviews/quicklooks come along.

#71 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

NEw trailer: Which looks really really good. I am pumped^^

This looks like a Thief game or better the Thief game I always wanted.

#72 Posted by HeyGuys (557 posts) -

I'm excited, but then again I'm a sucker.

#73 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@darji said:

NEw trailer: Which looks really really good. I am pumped^^

This looks like a Thief game or better the Thief game I always wanted.

Yep lookin good.

#74 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

here are all the display options it looks like you can go extreme hardcore XD

Each of these can be turned on or off individually based on your preferences:

• * Navigation prompts
  • * Interaction prompts
  • * Waypoint markers
  • * Threat icons
  • * Threat health meters
  • * Mini-map
  • * Mini-map rotation
  • * Reticle feedback
  • * Journal updates
  • * Pick-up notifiers
  • * Light gem
  • * Object highlight
  • * Loot glint
  • * Lockpick helper
  • * Frame search helper
  • * Garrett narrated hints
  • * Health meter (on, off, or fade over time)
  • * Focus meter (on, off, or fade over time)
  • * Ammo counter (on, off, or fade over time)

difficulty settings:

You can create your own custom difficulty level by toggling on any (or all!) of the following mods:

Base difficulty: easy, normal or hard

Classic Thief Mods

• * Chapter Save Only: manual saves and checkpoint auto-saves are disabled.
  • * No Focus: the use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
  • * Stealth Takedowns Only: you cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
  • * No Reticle: no aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.

Legendary Thief Mods

• * Specialty Arrows Only: only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
  • * No Resources: food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
  • * It Hurts Not: if you take any damage, the mission is failed.
  • * Expensive Tools: the cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
  • * Slowed Movement: running and walking speeds are reduced.

Ultimate Thief Mods

• * Iron Man: if you die or fail a mission, you lose your game and must restart from the beginning.
  • * No Upgrades: non-critical upgrades are disabled.
  • * No Kills or Knockouts: if a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.
  • * No Alerts: if a human or animal detects you, the mission is failed.

PC version [made by Nixxes] also has TrueAudio [precise audio positioning of every sound source], Mantle rendering path, native 3D rendering, support for Eyefinity and glorious FOV slider.

DAMN that is a lot of options

#75 Posted by DjDonFrancisco (299 posts) -

Holy hell. Those Thief mods look great. I'm excited for this but REALLY hope that it doesn't turn out like Deus Ex: HR. I enjoyed that for the most part but man did it's "options" feel limited. I've always wanted to go back and play it again but I just can't find a reason to. Also, those boss fights were GARBAGE. If Thief does end up being as open as it looks in the trailer, i'll be ecstatic.

#76 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

The latst Thief previews looked really cool. Love that swooping mechanic. I'm likely going to buy it, though I will wait for reviews to hit first.

#77 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

For whatever reason I never played any of the previous Thief games so I don't really have any specific expectations for what a Thief game should be. I like what I've seen of this so far and really enjoyed Deus Ex: HR so I'm really looking forward to playing this.

#78 Edited by Onomatopoeia (101 posts) -

It's going to be a shitty clone of Dishonored while pretending to be part of a classic series. If you are interested in Thief get the games off Steam and play through them, then go here http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

Fuck this game.

#79 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3504 posts) -

@darji: I find those options make me both excited and frustrated, but I can't put my finger on why.

#80 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Most definitely my good man.

Games like Thief, Dishonored, Deus Ex, etc. are among my favorites. If this is good then I will be very happy haps.

#81 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

@geraltitude: Maybe because you are now not sure on what difficulty or what mode you should play it for the first time.

#82 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3504 posts) -

@darji: Yeah I guess I'm just worried that I will have to go back and forth over and over again in the menus to find the Thief I like, but that isn't all so bad as long as the game itself is cool. As long as I can change the mods mid-game and don't have to start all over to change the difficulty (FUCK YOU KILLZONE) then I will be happy.

#83 Posted by killer_meatballs (483 posts) -

@darji: This trailer looks amazing. I've never played any of the previous games (not sure why), but have been intrigued by this game since I first read about it.

If the game mechanics work as well as they show in this trailer, I will be impressed. I'm ready to preorder for the PS4.

#84 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

new preview from gametrailers which looks really good as well. The only thing I find strange so far is that I heard that you can not jump in this game. So we will see how thsi turns out in the end.

But man this games looks really good especially for old fans of the series. MAybe it is even as good as Deus Ex HR in terms of comparing it to the old games.

#85 Posted by Humanity (10070 posts) -

As the release date draws near I'm getting more hyped up to play it.

#86 Posted by MikeJFlick (444 posts) -

It's redesigned to favor the FPS market, it's going to be a decent game at best, but a disappointment to any thief fans.

#87 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

@mikejflick said:

It's redesigned to favor the FPS market, it's going to be a decent game at best, but a disappointment to any thief fans.

How do you know this? Dishonored "borrowed a lot from old thief games and this thief does it from Dishonored. Also people thought the same about Deus Ex Human Revolution until people actually played the leaked Beta version back than.

#88 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

It looks pretty awful actually so... no.

#89 Posted by Glottery (1388 posts) -

Despite Outlast just being released and Strider not being that far away, I could buy it just to have something more to play on PS4...but I think I'll still wait for them reviews, since I haven't read anything exactly positive about it so far.

#90 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

@veektarius: patrick does not like stealth games so why would anyone ever listen to his opinion on them.

#91 Posted by DonPixel (2627 posts) -

I love the original games, but this one just looks mheee. I'm waiting for reviews, who knows...

#92 Posted by awesomeusername (4216 posts) -

Yes. I will get it for my PS4 eventually. I'm broke so I can't get it day 1, sadly. I was sold from the footage of the first mission they showed a couple days ago. It also helps that I loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution so another game from Eidos Montreal is something I look forward to.

#93 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

Recently they put out a 17 minute video of a full mission without any commentary just pure gameplay how you could solve this mission. If you are still not excited after watching this you really should not buy it^^

This is the PC version by the way and it looks really good and is very atmospheric.

Also first review from a Spanish magazine:

The Good:

• stealth,
  • fluid control with lots of possibilities,
  • esthetics design,
  • sound.

The Bad:

• sometimes the AI ​​seems blind,
  • the rhythm fall short in the last third part of the game,
  • load times.

————————-

Graphic: 88

Sound: 90

Diversion: 92

Duration: 86

OVERALL: 90 out of 100

#94 Posted by noizy (716 posts) -

So this comes out next week. I sincerely hope it's good. I'm really eager to read the reviews.

#95 Edited by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

Didn't know the Deus Ex HR guys where the ones doing this, I'm more interested now.

#96 Posted by knifeoframbo (38 posts) -

@panelhopper: This is exactly why I want to check it out too. Deus Ex is my favorite game of last gen so I have faith in the dev

#97 Posted by Crysack (348 posts) -

I love Thief 1 and 2 but everything about this game looks awful. I'll wait and see.

#98 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

Didn't know the Deus Ex HR guys where the ones doing this, I'm more interested now.

Same studio but different team. The DX team has been working on the next game for a while, supposedly.

#99 Posted by Tajasaurus (977 posts) -

I'll get it. I'm cautiously optimistic, I guess. But I think I want stuff to play on my new consoles more.

#100 Posted by Glottery (1388 posts) -

@darji said:

The only thing I find strange so far is that I heard that you can not jump in this game.

Has there been any confirmation on this? Because that's like...like...I'm unable to come up with a good enough term for it. Stupid, I guess?

Anyway, I liked Human Revolution quite a bit. I never was that big of a fan of the original game, so maybe that affected my liking some. Still, think I'll rather wait for reviews with this...last 'stealthy' game that gutpunched me with it's seemingly promising gameplay trailer was Hitman - Absolution and that was easily the biggest dissapointment for me in years, what comes to gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.