Eidos Confirms Thief 4

• 55 results
Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
Please stop doing this.
Not exactly a shocker, but Eidos Montreal confirmed this morning that it's working on Thief 4, a new installment in the long-running stealth series.

Details are slim at this time, with only a logo to go on and a quote from the studio's GM, Stephane D'Astous:
"Were in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious project and a very exciting one. It's too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make, what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market."
This brings another sequel to Eidos, which was recently acquired by Square Enix. The "Life President" of Eidos, Ian Livingstone, also recently confirmed that new games in the Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Kane & Lynch series are also in the works across various Eidos-affiliated developers.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
Please stop doing this.
Not exactly a shocker, but Eidos Montreal confirmed this morning that it's working on Thief 4, a new installment in the long-running stealth series.

Details are slim at this time, with only a logo to go on and a quote from the studio's GM, Stephane D'Astous:
"Were in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious project and a very exciting one. It's too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make, what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market."
This brings another sequel to Eidos, which was recently acquired by Square Enix. The "Life President" of Eidos, Ian Livingstone, also recently confirmed that new games in the Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Kane & Lynch series are also in the works across various Eidos-affiliated developers.
Staff
#2 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

Thi4f?  Finally, Driv3r has been outdone in the pantheon of stupid titles!  How will Atari respond?

#3 Posted by Damotello (101 posts) -

Take it not to hold our breath on that Kane And Lynch 2 video review =P
Goody gumdrops for new Thief/Hitman games however!

#4 Posted by FlipperDesert (2069 posts) -

Do you think anyone's pointed out to them that a 4 looks more like an A than an E?

THIAAAAAAAAAF!

#5 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Fuck y4s, I can't wait to st4al som4 stuff from mor4 rich p4opl4!

#6 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

Rather dumb title, but looking forward to future Kane & Lynch coverage, wanna see how tongue in cheek it can get!

#7 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1587 posts) -

I never played Thi1f, Thi2f, or Thi3f but maybe I'll get into Thi4f...?

#8 Posted by jNerd (2008 posts) -

To be completely honest I've been boycotting Eidos since 2007. I'm fucking done with there bullshit & bullshit games.

#9 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2385 posts) -

NICE! I loved Thief: Deadly Shadows, so this should be awesome...

Hopefully for the Kane & Lynch sequel they'll make a game that doesn't suck balls... Really, the very least I'm hoping for in Kane & Lynch 2 is improved controls, so the awesome heist multiplayer mode will actually play good.

#10 Posted by MachoFantastico (4307 posts) -

Never been a massive fan, but to be fair never truly gave the series a chance. 

#11 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Thief is a great series, I can't wait for the new installment.

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14244 posts) -

This is a cool announc4m4nt. The thi4f gam4s ar4 cool. Also, th4 4 in th4 middl4 of th4 nam4 is 4xtrem4ly stupid. It's 4v4n mor4 stupid than th4 thr44 in Driv3r.

#13 Posted by LordAndrew (13990 posts) -

Ah, it's good to see that they're continuing with it even after being bought by Square Enix.

#14 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I never played the old thief games but really wanted to. I'll check the review here before I get this. I also can't wait for the Kane & Lynch 2 review.

#15 Posted by sloppyjoe (406 posts) -

I might finally check out this series

#16 Posted by DoMakeSayThink (38 posts) -

Hitman, awesome!

#17 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

Thi4f? lol reminds me of TREY 4 Li4E

#18 Posted by mracoon (4914 posts) -

At least Driv3r kind of made sense. 4 doesn't really look like an E.

#19 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1054 posts) -

Thi4f. Excited. Yes. Want.

#20 Posted by MeatSim (10603 posts) -

I bet Jeff is excited about another Kane & Lynch game being made.

#21 Posted by Ghostin (369 posts) -

It's been so long why can't they just go with Thief?  Hope they get this right.

#22 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I would be more confident if they had called it Thief 3. That would mean they know they fucked up with Deadly Shadows... Do they?

#23 Posted by CoinMatze (456 posts) -

so, T9mb Raider, Hitm5n and Kane 2 Lynch confirmed?

#24 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Jeff don't review Kane and Lynch I want you to keep your job.

#25 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
That would mean they know they fucked up with Deadly Shadows... Do they?"
Considering the direction they're taking with Deus Ex 3 I don't think they know how fucked up Invisible War was......
So I think it's too much to hope for.
#26 Posted by Death_Burnout (3768 posts) -

YES YES YES!...YES!

Agreed that Thief 3 would be better for a purist like myself (Deadly Shadows wasn't really a "Thief" game to me, still a good game though)

#27 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

Placing that 4 there looks retarded. It's like spelling it Thiaf for crying out loud.

#28 Posted by Aeterna (1112 posts) -

Bad logo, Good game. 
(hopefully)

#29 Posted by yates (378 posts) -

Thiaf 4? Seriously though, looking forward to this.

#30 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

Wheres a new Legacy of Kain game in all of this?

#31 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Wow, I honestly thought that the Thief IP was dead and gone. If I remember correctly, the last game was pretty mediocre. More importantly, I wonder if another journalist will lose his job over the next Kane & Lynch?

#32 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

I wonder if the first 3 thiesf games were any good?

#33 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4237 posts) -

I'm optimistic, but I think it's just the buzz of the possibility of a new Thief game.  Wasn't as big a fan of the third one for various reasons.

Argh, why did they try to promote it with the Se7en thing, though?

#34 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

Love this series hope the do something abit wild for 4. This was the first proper stealth game i played the thing that stood out for me was the steam punk elements.

#35 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

THIEF THIEF THIEF THIEF
THIEF THIEF ^2
Totally THIEF! Totally Party!

All superior to THI4F.

#36 Posted by Vod_Crack (671 posts) -

I can't wait to see what a new generation Thief would look like, its been so long. Though yeah, THI4F looks bat-shit retarded, sort it out you silly beasts!

#37 Edited by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

I'm a little excited for this. Loved the second instalment but didn't play much of the third.

Ridiculous title too. Just by doing that they have lost a small amount of my interest.

#38 Edited by twhalen (126 posts) -

I love the Thief games (see icon), with Thief 2 being one of my all time favorites. I was a bit disappointed with Thief 3 so I haven't gotten my hopes up for this yet, and they really should change the logo. But, I am excited. And even if Thief 4 doesn't turn out great there's always the excellent Thief fan mission community (still waiting on the Dark Mod).

Edit: Media_Master, the first two were great, the first being one of the pioneers in the stealth genre (it came out in that golden year 1998). The third one wasn't that great, except for a couple interesting levels.

#39 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

Thiaf? Really?

#40 Posted by Guyzea (814 posts) -
DRIV3R
#41 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Yes! The part of this news story I really care about is A NEW HITMAN! *tears shirt off and spins it around* WOOOOOO!!!1!1one

#42 Posted by Xymox (2025 posts) -
Totally Thief! Totally Party
Can't wait for some more info on that. I loved the early ones. 
#43 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

Another Thief is actually really good. Deadly Shadows was great. And another Kane and Lynch should be....dramatic.

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11019 posts) -

Ok, that's nice. Apparently Thief 1 and 2 were pretty good back in the day, but I have yet to find out for myself. Looking at this game with moderate interest.

#45 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

New Hitman eh? hopefully they improve on Blood Moneh.

#46 Posted by Scratch (588 posts) -

Bad title aside, I am really looking forward to see how this turns out.

#47 Posted by DukeTogo (1505 posts) -

I could totally see a Thief game done with the Assassins' Creed engine.  The games are fairly similar in terms of mechanics and scope, and AC never had any night levels, so it would be a good contrast.  The big issue will be how the stealth is handled, since stealth ain't all that anymore.  Thief 1 was among the first stealth games, and back then the whole idea of putting out torches with water arrows was novel and fresh, but over ten years later the last thing I want to do is put out torches and follow dudes as they path through shadows.

The big pain was your guy wasn't really capable of defending himself very well.  So taking on more than one dude was pretty much a reset since you couldn't survive.  Making the game closer to AC and having the ability to fight off multiple dudes would make the game less of a trial and error game that those were.  I'm not saying make it an action title where you don't care if you're seen or not, but a fine balance between stealth and action with more room for experimentation on getting to your objective would a new Thief game desirable.  I'd prefer it be 3rd person as well, like AC, FPS stealth is not very fun since all you have to know you're hidden is some stupid meter.  Doing it 3rd person means something a little more subtle like a faint outline or different hue on your guy would work.

As for the other series mentioned, Hitman hasn't been good in a while, but if made a little less trial and error it would work.  I'd like to see it have a make your own guy feature, since he never had any personality anyway, why force him to be a generic bald guy.

Corporate bullshit aside, Kane & Lynch was a good idea done poorly.  It was rushed to go up against a game that ended up being delayed anyway (Army of Two), it was far overhyped, it needed a solid 6 months of polish, and the story was just too dark for even the most hardcore gangta to like.  It had a few moments of genuine fun in it, some of which still hold up compared to other games' attempts at similar scenarios.

I'd like to see that game done right, the team is capable of far more (Freedom Fighters) and if was done to that games level of greatness it would be a nice way of making up for that shitstorm.  Besides, at this point I think Jeff would agree getting fired from GS was the best thing that happened to him.  Now he's the boss of a great site that makes relics like GS a dinosaur in terms of web-centric portals.

#48 Posted by jakob187 (21508 posts) -

New Kane and Lynch game?!

Fuck...looks like Jeff's gonna get fired from Giant Bomb now...
#49 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

I've never played any of the Thief games but, I've always wanted to try them.

#50 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

What is that? A pretentious clan name?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.