Thief reboot impeded by office politics and departures.

#1 Edited by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -
#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

Woof. Yuh.. I was looking forward to finally playing some old school Thief..

: (

#3 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

Polygon is really hit or miss when it comes to the accuracy of their reporting. I wouldn't take it at face value.

#4 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Rumor wise it is getting to the point where every game is a disappointment sales wise and all major titles are in trouble during development. Senior staff leaving or moving off a project could also just mean that it is basically finished (most people who don't want to burn bridges try to transition jobs at a logical break). ./shrug.

#5 Edited by oraknabo (1459 posts) -

Why make a big deal about how the vertical slice demo from years ago won't run in the current engine? A VS is just an early prototype, not the final say for what the engine can do. I hope they've change the engine in the years they have been working on it since creating their internal demo that was done before the game was even greenlit by its publisher.

#6 Posted by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -

Polygon is really hit or miss when it comes to the accuracy of their reporting. I wouldn't take it at face value.

I think this seems pretty accurate. We've heard about this game for a long time and are just now going to finally see some gameplay at E3.

#7 Edited by Hailinel (24710 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

I think this seems pretty accurate. We've heard about this game for a long time and are just now going to finally see some gameplay at E3.

We haven't really heard much about it, though. And different games take different lengths of time to develop.

#8 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

Woof. Yuh.. I was looking forward to finally playing some old school Thief..

: (

Then you may want to just go play the old Thief games, judging by what we've heard about "Thi4f..."

#9 Posted by oraknabo (1459 posts) -

Why did the two big articles about this issue both feature a section where the writer referred to it as being set in Medieval times? It's good to know something about your subject when writing about it.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9697 posts) -

Whomever is the director of that game, and whomever runs the studio as a whole, should be fucking fired for doing a poor job. All of this comes down to leadership with the developer not creating a unified, strong team working on one, singular vision for the game. That vision should come from the director. Clearly that director is incapable of taking charge and making that vision a reality. Sure Eidos probably should have had more oversight with the project but how much should the publisher have to hold the developer's hand? What a poorly run company and project. The leads should be ashamed.

#11 Posted by Slag (4346 posts) -

what a $hitshow.

bummer, hope they get it straightened out soon. I'd hate to know what that game would have to sell now to get back to break even

#12 Posted by djames216 (374 posts) -

None of this matters. Not to me anyway. The quality of the final product is what really matters. Is the game any good? Studios have internal struggles all the time and I could not care less about it in terms of the quality of the game. Let them sort it out behind closed doors. Seems like the sort of news you should report as an interesting retrospective long after the game's release. Not shit on it before it comes out.

#13 Posted by Ramone (2966 posts) -

I bet that a lot of what's being described in this article is both completely overblown and also happens in the development of pretty much every high profile game, for example, the stuff about the vertical slice being fudged etc. seems like the sort of stuff I've heard developers talk about on Giant Bomb as if its standard practice. I wouldn't worry about the impact this is going to have on the game just yet.

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Seriously, had everyone in Montreal worked with everyone else in Montreal at some point? It's musical chairs over there. The only thing that's a constant is Ubi.

So, according to Square, the reason they posted a 130 million dollar loss was because of Hitman. Sorry, but I call bullshit. Hitman did not cost 130 million dollars to make. You might have expected it to gross 130 million dollars more than it did, but that doesn't mean it actively lost you that 130 million. All that shows is that Square expected Hitman, on a 20-30 million dollar budget, to sweep 100 million dollars of other losses under the rug, and it didn't. Tomb Raider did not lose money, it'll grossed almost a quarter of a billion dollars soon enough, it just couldn't cover up nine figures of mismanagement and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about embezzling and shenanigans a few years down the road.

It's so much easier to tell your Japanese shareholders that the Goddamn Americans fucked this all up, not that no one gave a hot shit about Final Fantasy 13-2: Stupid Anime Bullshit Pokemon Adventure Nonsense.

#15 Edited by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

Seriously, had everyone in Montreal worked with everyone else in Montreal at some point? It's musical chairs over there. The only thing that's a constant is Ubi.

So, according to Square, the reason they posted a 130 million dollar loss was because of Hitman. Sorry, but I call bullshit. Hitman did not cost 130 million dollars to make. You might have expected it to gross 130 million dollars more than it did, but that doesn't mean it actively lost you that 130 million. All that shows is that Square expected Hitman, on a 20-30 million dollar budget, to sweep 100 million dollars of other losses under the rug, and it didn't. Tomb Raider did not lose money, it'll grossed almost a quarter of a billion dollars soon enough, it just couldn't cover up nine figures of mismanagement and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about embezzling and shenanigans a few years down the road.

It's so much easier to tell your Japanese shareholders that the Goddamn Americans fucked this all up, not that no one gave a hot shit about Final Fantasy 13-2: Stupid Anime Bullshit Pokemon Adventure Nonsense.

dont forget the ff14 shitshow aswell

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.