Guillermo del Toro Describes Series As 'Lovecraftian,' THQ To Publish

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Guillermo del Toro is my kind of dude. I feel this way not only because he directed a film that had a monster with eyeball hands in it, but because he likes to get way ahead of marketing. For example, in his latest MTV interview, the director has confirmed that he's working with THQ, and his first game in a series of titles with the publisher will see a release around 2013. Subsequent games, he said, will be on three-year development cycles.

These comments are sort of a big deal, as these are all previously unknown details about a project del Toro leaked himself earlier this summer. Rumors have, however, connected del Toro with THQ since, but it's nice to have the confirmation from the man himself.

Here, the eyeballs are on the plate. Eventually, they'll be in his hands.

Sadly, the director stopped short of going into specifics about his game, but he did drop this little nugget in the interview. "It's horror... but it's a very different type of horror game," he said. "It's not survival horror. It's truly a strange, geeky mix. It's a Lovecraftian thing. Let's leave it at that."

THQ has commented on its connection with del Toro, but it's obvious the publisher isn't as ready to talk about the relationship as he is. 

At THQ, we are focused on the highest level of creative development by putting artists first. Guillermo del Toro is one of many creative artists that we respect and would be interested in working with. However, at this time, we do not have any formal announcement to make.  

We're still wondering what studio under the publisher's banner del Toro is working with. A recent job listing from Volition still has us stroking our chins since it implies the studio is "collaborating" with a certain special someone, and not a studio, on a new RPG. Could this be the place handling the del Toro game? I assume we'll learn if this is true or not the next time del Toro swings by MTV.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Guillermo del Toro is my kind of dude. I feel this way not only because he directed a film that had a monster with eyeball hands in it, but because he likes to get way ahead of marketing. For example, in his latest MTV interview, the director has confirmed that he's working with THQ, and his first game in a series of titles with the publisher will see a release around 2013. Subsequent games, he said, will be on three-year development cycles.

These comments are sort of a big deal, as these are all previously unknown details about a project del Toro leaked himself earlier this summer. Rumors have, however, connected del Toro with THQ since, but it's nice to have the confirmation from the man himself.

Here, the eyeballs are on the plate. Eventually, they'll be in his hands.

Sadly, the director stopped short of going into specifics about his game, but he did drop this little nugget in the interview. "It's horror... but it's a very different type of horror game," he said. "It's not survival horror. It's truly a strange, geeky mix. It's a Lovecraftian thing. Let's leave it at that."

THQ has commented on its connection with del Toro, but it's obvious the publisher isn't as ready to talk about the relationship as he is. 

At THQ, we are focused on the highest level of creative development by putting artists first. Guillermo del Toro is one of many creative artists that we respect and would be interested in working with. However, at this time, we do not have any formal announcement to make.  

We're still wondering what studio under the publisher's banner del Toro is working with. A recent job listing from Volition still has us stroking our chins since it implies the studio is "collaborating" with a certain special someone, and not a studio, on a new RPG. Could this be the place handling the del Toro game? I assume we'll learn if this is true or not the next time del Toro swings by MTV.
#2 Edited by DarkHeroZark (175 posts) -

That sounds really awesome. 

Also: YAY!

#3 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Guillermooooo

#4 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

Sounds awsome:) 
#5 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Que macho

#6 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3078 posts) -

The Pan's Labyrinth Director Commentary taught me a very important lesson- Del Toro is fucking terrified of horses and thinks they're all psychotic.  So when his game inevitably throws some sort of horse-inspired monstrosity my way, I'm at least going to die laughing.  And, knowing Del Toro, probably screaming, too.

#7 Posted by Jazz (2260 posts) -

As long as my screen goes all out of focus, I have to lock and bolt the doors and my head randomly explodes..I'll be happy

#8 Posted by zomgenius (56 posts) -

I agree with everyone else. :D Sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully we can find more details soon-ish.

#9 Posted by The_Joker (223 posts) -

As long as it doesn't have combat in it, I'm sure it'll be cool. Amnesia taught me that.

#10 Posted by Scroll (594 posts) -

I am massively pumped for this. I'm hoping its not a direct game based upon At the mountains of madness but yet another Lovecraft novella adaptation.  Who knows, either way I'm extremely excited for this.

#11 Posted by fisk0 (4041 posts) -

Interesting, I liked Pan's Labyrinth - but does he have any previous experience of producing (if that is his role, what he will do in these projects wasn't expanded upon) games or studying games as a medium?

Other directors have tried making video games before, but I can't remember many of them being particulary successful.

Video games are very different to movies when it comes to story telling/narrative and pacing after all.

#12 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

I am not surprised by what the game sounds like.

#13 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

This sorta makes sense considering he signed on to do a film adaptation of Lovecraft's Into the Mountains of Madness.

#14 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Figured these were fitting to post now. Sorry 'bout that.

OT: This seems kinda awesome.
#15 Posted by Juanmower (16 posts) -

More excited about his Lovecraft movie than a game.

#16 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

Del Torro's movies aren't that good.  They do usually have cool character designs though.

#17 Posted by SiN13 (234 posts) -

Mmmmm..

#18 Posted by Kohe321 (3524 posts) -

Reminds me that pans labyrinth is awesome

#19 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Anything lovecraft I will play.

#20 Posted by Robopengy (462 posts) -

Yes! Everything that man does is great! Though I admit I haven't read his books :P

#21 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Looks like it will be based on 'At The Mountains of Madness'

...seeing as the movie he is directing is of the same story.

#22 Edited by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I never really enjoyed Pans Labyrinth. I've tried several times, but with no hope. I guess there's something wrong with me... But I think whatever Del Toro will do for gaming will be great!

#24 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

I think Del Toro movies are great.  Cronos is one of the best vampire flicks around, and The Devil's Backbone is a creepy as hell Ghost Story. Hellboy is just pure machismo fun.  It's downright shameful that i haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet. Friends have told me that his books are great also, although I haven't read them yet.

#25 Posted by Rhythm (26 posts) -

Lovecraftian, eh? Mountains of Madness inspired adventure?

#26 Posted by Chango (509 posts) -

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

#27 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

I'm over the fucking moon! That sounds amazing!

#28 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

THQ one of my fav publishers, should be interesting. 

#29 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

As excited as I am, I'd be more excited if it wasn't being made by THQ.
#30 Posted by Afro_Stevens (79 posts) -

There wasn't a part of that story I didn't like.

#31 Posted by Winternet (8015 posts) -

So . . . Amnesia with dudes with eyes on their hands. I'm in.

#32 Posted by kratier (223 posts) -

just watched the craig ferguson interview of this guy(2 days ago) and he was talking about his book series and a TV series he was supposed to do, i guess that didn't pan out?

#33 Posted by Darkstorn (464 posts) -

I'm a big fan of everything Lovecraftian, and this game sounds awesome (despite the lack of specific details). I'm also ridiculously excited for Del Toro's 'At the Mountains of Madness' adaptation.

#34 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose: Fuck you.  Just...fuck you.  Seeing those the first time in our PM was bad enough.  Now...
#35 Posted by Undeadpool (4924 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
"

Figured these were fitting to post now. Sorry 'bout that.  OT: This seems kinda awesome. "
AHHHHHHHHHH! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 

Also: this sounds awesome. I love Guillermo Del Toro and I freakin' LOVE HP Lovecraft. It's nice to hear someone with a real love for the author do something interesting with it. Or several interesting somethings. 
Anyway, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
#36 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose: Fuck you.  Just...fuck you.  Seeing those the first time in our PM was bad enough.  Now... "
YOU CAN NEVER STOP ME HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
#37 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @InfamousBIG said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose: Fuck you.  Just...fuck you.  Seeing those the first time in our PM was bad enough.  Now... "
YOU CAN NEVER STOP ME HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "

#38 Posted by eagles_band (159 posts) -

Good idea for him to try games ... bad idea to go with THQ.

#39 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I believe he is making a movie that is based on Lovecraft's material. Sounds like this guy is going to make some kick ass shit. I'm super excited for all of this.

#40 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Awesome! Anything del Toro is always welcomed :)

#41 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

Hell yes! We need more Lovecraftian-inspired games.

#42 Edited by MajesticOverlord (183 posts) -

I haven't been this psyched for a game since Twilight Princess... 

#43 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -

I didn't really care for his movie.  I'll wait & see on
his game.  Is it really an RPG though?  Doesn't
sound like something he would do.

#44 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Still wanting all this lord of the rings movie nonsense to stop to free him so GdT can make the 'Mountains of Madness' film that everyone & thier boo ghostie dogs have been waiting for someone to make a film of that epic story by H.P.L.

#45 Posted by Baconator (168 posts) -

I couldn't care less about del Toro going into game development. Being a good movie director doesn't make you a good game designer. Those are two very different worlds. Maybe the game will be awesome, maybe it won't. Who knows? But the fact that an awesome director is working on a game says absolutely nothing about the quality of the game. 

Remember Boom Blox from Spielberg? Considering that was Steven frickin' Spielberg and taking into consideration just how awesome of a director he is that game should have been the most amazing thing since the invention of the burrito. The game was alright. See the point I'm trying to make?

#46 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Baconator:  Yeah I see your point but Boom Blox was about Speilburg making an entry with into the games industry with his own Game Development company, it was not an exercise in creative will but rather one in terms of business expedience.  This is something entirely different.  Del Toro is fascinated with Dark Fantasy and Horror and has even written/co-written a book series on Vampires.  I don't think you could say that Speilburg is fascinated with Blox.

I see great promise in this personally.
#47 Posted by Sublime50lbc (8 posts) -

Anything that's associated with Lovecraft interests me. 

Can't wait to see what's gonna come out of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.