Kaos Studios Still Working With THQ Montreal to Support Homefront

Posted by patrickklepek (3469 posts) -

Soon, Kaos Studios will no longer exist. The New York-based developer of Homefront is being shuttered by THQ, just months after releasing the game itself, and reportedly following an extensive crunch period by the whole staff. The news was oddly timed with the release of downloadable content for Homefront containing new map packs, ironically titled "Fire Sale."

The Homefront license will continue forward, with THQ Montreal taking control. People did buy Homefront, though, and continue to shoot each other online. Who's looking over those folks?

"It’s Kaos with Montreal," said a company spokesperson. "The studio is not closed 'today.' It’s a process. We are supporting the DLC all the way."

THQ is shutting down THQ Digital Warrnington in the UK, but said all employees will have the chance to interview for positions at other THQ studios, including Austin, Montreal and Vancouver.

Whatever the plans are for Homefront, it won't involve Kaos Studios in its current form.

"Everything we learned from [the original] you'll see executed in other games going forward, and including that franchise going forward," said THQ executive Danny Bilson to Eurogamer. "We'll have some really interesting announcements in the future about the future of that brand."

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3469 posts) -

Soon, Kaos Studios will no longer exist. The New York-based developer of Homefront is being shuttered by THQ, just months after releasing the game itself, and reportedly following an extensive crunch period by the whole staff. The news was oddly timed with the release of downloadable content for Homefront containing new map packs, ironically titled "Fire Sale."

The Homefront license will continue forward, with THQ Montreal taking control. People did buy Homefront, though, and continue to shoot each other online. Who's looking over those folks?

"It’s Kaos with Montreal," said a company spokesperson. "The studio is not closed 'today.' It’s a process. We are supporting the DLC all the way."

THQ is shutting down THQ Digital Warrnington in the UK, but said all employees will have the chance to interview for positions at other THQ studios, including Austin, Montreal and Vancouver.

Whatever the plans are for Homefront, it won't involve Kaos Studios in its current form.

"Everything we learned from [the original] you'll see executed in other games going forward, and including that franchise going forward," said THQ executive Danny Bilson to Eurogamer. "We'll have some really interesting announcements in the future about the future of that brand."

Staff
#2 Posted by bassman2112 (819 posts) -

So what kind of updates are these going to be? Just map packs?

#3 Posted by yami4ct (154 posts) -

Wow, sucks for those guys. They work hard and have a reasonably successful game, only to have their studio shuttered and the franchise moved to another studio. Good luck to all those losing their jobs.

#4 Posted by ep_driver (436 posts) -

bummer, man. heard the story was pretty good.

#5 Edited by MeatSim (10763 posts) -

Make these map packs for us then get out.

#6 Posted by Evan_Buchholz (122 posts) -

The story was terrible actually with the most rushed ending in the world....

#7 Posted by Jackel2072 (2236 posts) -

thats kind of heart breaking in a way.

#8 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

So North Korea won?

#9 Posted by bingbangboom (101 posts) -

I heard it had more to do with the fact that their studio was located in New York. With high rent, it is just not affordable to have a studio there, no matter how cool it is. I also am understanding that there was a bunch of outsourcing of work to meet the release date which could mean that THQ Montreal did that too. 

THQ could have had better press if they just said they were merging the two studios for ongoing projects. They don't have many franchises they can call their own either. 

#10 Posted by dollarsANDcents (11 posts) -

Always sad to see a studio close down. Good luck to everyone affected.

#11 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Thank god. Fools cramping up my name.

#12 Posted by ThePantheon (698 posts) -

Homefront came out?

Huh

#13 Posted by rmanthorp (3873 posts) -

I hope it works out :/

#14 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@ep_driver said:
bummer, man. heard the story was pretty good.
It was kinda like Gears of War, only with North Koreans instead of aliens
#15 Posted by mdattack (4 posts) -

If the game wouldn't have been soo glitchy, and had a little more polish to it, it would have been a solid release. The story was great and very interesting to think about. I hope they can get it right with a sequesl...

#16 Posted by keithfreitag (70 posts) -

I'm done with these assholes at Kaos and THfahQ... Never had a glitch in this game until I downloaded the Fire Sale map pack... Loaded up my Lvl 65 character with the M200 Sniper equipped to finally start getting kills to rank it up, got 1 kill, then died, respawned with M100, thought it was odd, got killed again before I could react, spawned with M100 again. Went into armory before respawning again, noticed all my attachments and secondary weapons were messed up, then I noticed I was level 1... Level 1, how could that be.. I quit the game, reloaded it and fire up my saved game... Nope still Level "fucking" 1.. So all that hard work playing for months when I could just got shit on.. I'm done with the game, took it to game stop, traded it for LA Noire (fyi - love it) and called Microsoft and had them refund my points spent on the DLC Fire Sale. It's no wonder Kaos is going out of business, good riddance..

#17 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

Optimism for low quality games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.