Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

THQ

Company »

THQ Inc. (Toy Headquarters) was a global American developer and publisher of video games.

Kaos Studios Still Working With THQ Montreal to Support Homefront

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Soon, Kaos Studios will no longer exist. The New York-based developer of Homefront is being shuttered by THQ, just months after releasing the game itself, and reportedly following an extensive crunch period by the whole staff. The news was oddly timed with the release of downloadable content for Homefront containing new map packs, ironically titled "Fire Sale."

The Homefront license will continue forward, with THQ Montreal taking control. People did buy Homefront, though, and continue to shoot each other online. Who's looking over those folks?

"It’s Kaos with Montreal," said a company spokesperson. "The studio is not closed 'today.' It’s a process. We are supporting the DLC all the way."

THQ is shutting down THQ Digital Warrnington in the UK, but said all employees will have the chance to interview for positions at other THQ studios, including Austin, Montreal and Vancouver.

Whatever the plans are for Homefront, it won't involve Kaos Studios in its current form.

"Everything we learned from [the original] you'll see executed in other games going forward, and including that franchise going forward," said THQ executive Danny Bilson to Eurogamer. "We'll have some really interesting announcements in the future about the future of that brand."

No Caption Provided
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Soon, Kaos Studios will no longer exist. The New York-based developer of Homefront is being shuttered by THQ, just months after releasing the game itself, and reportedly following an extensive crunch period by the whole staff. The news was oddly timed with the release of downloadable content for Homefront containing new map packs, ironically titled "Fire Sale."

The Homefront license will continue forward, with THQ Montreal taking control. People did buy Homefront, though, and continue to shoot each other online. Who's looking over those folks?

"It’s Kaos with Montreal," said a company spokesperson. "The studio is not closed 'today.' It’s a process. We are supporting the DLC all the way."

THQ is shutting down THQ Digital Warrnington in the UK, but said all employees will have the chance to interview for positions at other THQ studios, including Austin, Montreal and Vancouver.

Whatever the plans are for Homefront, it won't involve Kaos Studios in its current form.

"Everything we learned from [the original] you'll see executed in other games going forward, and including that franchise going forward," said THQ executive Danny Bilson to Eurogamer. "We'll have some really interesting announcements in the future about the future of that brand."

No Caption Provided
    bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By bassman2112

So what kind of updates are these going to be? Just map packs?

yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By yami4ct

Wow, sucks for those guys. They work hard and have a reasonably successful game, only to have their studio shuttered and the franchise moved to another studio. Good luck to all those losing their jobs.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ep_driver

bummer, man. heard the story was pretty good.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By MeatSim

Make these map packs for us then get out.

evan_buchholz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By evan_buchholz

The story was terrible actually with the most rushed ending in the world....

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Jackel2072

thats kind of heart breaking in a way.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By LiquidS

So North Korea won?

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bingbangboom

I heard it had more to do with the fact that their studio was located in New York. With high rent, it is just not affordable to have a studio there, no matter how cool it is. I also am understanding that there was a bunch of outsourcing of work to meet the release date which could mean that THQ Montreal did that too. 

THQ could have had better press if they just said they were merging the two studios for ongoing projects. They don't have many franchises they can call their own either. 

Avatar image for dollarsandcents
    dollarsANDcents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dollarsANDcents

Always sad to see a studio close down. Good luck to everyone affected.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Thank god. Fools cramping up my name.

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By thepantheon

Homefront came out?

Huh

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator  Online

I hope it works out :/

mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By mrcellophane
    @ep_driver said:
    bummer, man. heard the story was pretty good.
    It was kinda like Gears of War, only with North Koreans instead of aliens
    mdattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mdattack

If the game wouldn't have been soo glitchy, and had a little more polish to it, it would have been a solid release. The story was great and very interesting to think about. I hope they can get it right with a sequesl...

keithfreitag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By keithfreitag

I'm done with these assholes at Kaos and THfahQ... Never had a glitch in this game until I downloaded the Fire Sale map pack... Loaded up my Lvl 65 character with the M200 Sniper equipped to finally start getting kills to rank it up, got 1 kill, then died, respawned with M100, thought it was odd, got killed again before I could react, spawned with M100 again. Went into armory before respawning again, noticed all my attachments and secondary weapons were messed up, then I noticed I was level 1... Level 1, how could that be.. I quit the game, reloaded it and fire up my saved game... Nope still Level "fucking" 1.. So all that hard work playing for months when I could just got shit on.. I'm done with the game, took it to game stop, traded it for LA Noire (fyi - love it) and called Microsoft and had them refund my points spent on the DLC Fire Sale. It's no wonder Kaos is going out of business, good riddance..

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By xpgamer7

Optimism for low quality games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.