Looks Like THQ's Owned Properties Will Be Auctioned Off Anyway

#151 Posted by Scrawnto (2436 posts) -

@Sweetz said:

Dream: Valve acquires Relic, says forget about the Warhammer 40K license, and has them make Homeworld 3, but only after putting remastered versions of HW1, Cataclysm, and HW2 on Steam.

That dream is so beautiful, a tear actually just rolled down my cheek. That is not an exaggeration. I want that so goddamn much.

#152 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

I hope Relic stays intact and they can keep doing what they are doing :/

THIS A HUNDRED BILLION TIMES THIS.

#153 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Hmm, the way I'd like to see it pan out is...

Saints Row to Bethesda, Metro to Ubisoft, Homefront to EA, and COH to Take-Two.

#154 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

I'll be extremely happy when Volition gets picked up by another publisher. Those guys are too good to be with an unstable company. Fingers crossed.

#155 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Man, I really just wanna see the finished version of that South Park game.

#156 Posted by kerse (2103 posts) -

Kinda depressing, and yeah Saint's Row is definitely gonna end up at Activision or EA as much as I would rather that not happen.

#157 Posted by FMinus (389 posts) -

Zenimax should go after Relic, keep the ties with Games Workshop and continue to produce great WH40k games. I hope all studios find a nice place when it comes that far, but as a PC gamer I don't want anything to go to UBI Soft their PC products are like a kick in the nuts.

#158 Posted by Zelyre (1132 posts) -

It would be really great it Valve snagged everything up.

Having the future of games in the hands of investors and shareholders is pretty crappy.

Why is Valve so highly loved? They're privately owned. They can do what they want. It'll be a sad day if Valve goes public.

#159 Posted by Shivoa (613 posts) -

So this sounds terrible. I wonder if Clearlake are interested in buying some studios with no IP left and existing projects all having to be debranded after selling off their IP, otherwise this doesn't sound like an obvious way for the old investors to make out with any more money than they were before (and with the death of any studios still in operation).

#160 Posted by Silver-Streak (1340 posts) -

Properties I care about:

Darksiders

Saints Row

Red Faction

Warhammer 40k (Specifically the once-mmo now co-op RPG)

Please let these go to good homes. Specifically ones that don't start with A or E.

Also, if I remember right, the bids for the individual assets, even if it's all to different buyers, have to total higher than the $60m from the other company, otherwise they still get it.

#161 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

I hope the people manning these studios get all their jobs back once they get picked up. Please, PLEASE keep the studios intact.

#162 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

I'd feel okay about Saints Row going to WB or Square-Enix. Anywhere else though, and I'd feel a little worried.

Relic would fit in nicely at Bethesda, me thinks.

Homefront can fuck off and die. Free up Crytek UK's time so they can finally make Timesplitters 4!

Not really sure where WWE would fit. I feel like the most likely candidate is Activision, but I don't know. Either way, I feel like a new publisher and maybe a new dev team may be what that franchise needs. Just keep on to that damned story creator.

#163 Posted by buddysmokes (8 posts) -

So is thq completely screwed or can they still be saved by selling off properties?

#164 Posted by johnham (47 posts) -

Dear Volition; show me a Kickstarter and I will show you some bills.

#165 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

I vote we all pitch in and buy Saints Row

#166 Posted by LoktarOgar (355 posts) -

C'moooon Square!

#167 Posted by MisterSamMan (363 posts) -

It's a shame, but at the same time, I am excited to see which titles publishers will pick up.

#168 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

Maybe now we'll get a FreeSpace 3.

#169 Posted by deathfromace (146 posts) -

@buddysmokes said:

So is thq completely screwed or can they still be saved by selling off properties?

Well if they have to sell off all of their IPs then they will be THQ without any of the loved games. Will have to see what happens after all this but if all the IPs are sold THQ won't be working on them (unless the people move as well) and THQ will just be a company without any games.

#170 Posted by FMinus (389 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

Maybe now we'll get a FreeSpace 3.

Like we have Dungeon Keeper 3?

#171 Posted by Rapid (1352 posts) -

Trying to think about what publisher would be good to take over Saints Row and Company of Heroes...

#172 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

kinda sucks, really wish Relic and Vigil get good homes.

#173 Posted by buddysmokes (8 posts) -

@deathfromace: So what happens if they make their money and are still holding an ip?

#174 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3189 posts) -

What will the Toy Headquarters do now? The world may never know.

#175 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3805 posts) -

Hey Warner Brothers, you guys have been pretty cool so far, think you can take care of this? If you do I will PROMISE to buy Metro, Saints Row, that South Park game and literally any 40K game you make. Look you've got 4 guaranteed sales already!

Please WB? Please?

p.s. Scorpion fights a Space Marine. Think about it!

#176 Posted by Pop (2612 posts) -

I hope volition goes to warner bros along with saints row. I wish people would of bought more of their games, I guess I'm guilty of that too.

#177 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

@Bassman2112 said:

@WilliamHenry said:

@Branthog said:

Does it even matter, if the people behind the game design won't be going along with the IP?

Depends on the game/IP I guess. I hope that anyone who tries to pick up Saints Row is smart enough to realize Volition has to come with it. Warner Bros picked up Mortal Kombat and brought Netherrealm with it, so hopefully whoever gets Saints Row does the same.

That's exactly the way I hope this ends up going. If they bring Volition and 4A over to Warner, I'll be happy.

They don't own 4A so that's n'happening.

#178 Posted by Vod_Crack (706 posts) -

The blind love for Warner Bros is baffling and downright worrying. If you want great studios like Volition and Relic to be making Batman games, Green Lantern games, Justice League games and all that other shit then fair enough. Personally, I want them to continue on with whatever franchises they have and then eventually do a new IP. Monolith Productions, one of my all time favourite developers, who made F.E.A.R., Condemned, Blood, No One Lives Forever and goddamn Shogo have been completely fucked over by Warner Bros. I don't want the same to happen to Volition, Vigil, Relic etc.

#179 Posted by Klaimore (945 posts) -

I would like Warner Brothers with Saints Row I think they would do well.

#180 Posted by Cross (50 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

You already know Activision is gonna pick up Saint's Row.

And it makes me very :(

#181 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (451 posts) -

Hope the right people get these...hoping The warhammer licence don't go to waste would hate to see that one rot!

#182 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

Stay away Activision and EA! There are some great studios here that do not need ruining.

#183 Posted by Pat (72 posts) -

What if EA got the WWE license and had Bioware make a game? Think about the sweet promos you could cut by pulling the right trigger.

#184 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

I hope someone decent gets Relic, and the rights to Metro. Everything else will probably be fine, but those are the two I am wary about, as the former is a PC only developer of RTS games, and the latter is a niche Ukrainian Studio's vision of a Russian book about mutants and underground train systems. Also Metro 2033 is one of my mostest favourite games, but I'm not biased, nope.

#185 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1744 posts) -

I wonder how this will work out with the South Park RPG. From what I understand, THQ just had a publishing deal. I wonder if they also had money in development.

Either/or, I just don't want anything to go to EA. I've seen what happens to companies and franchises bought by EA, and it's a sad sight. Not that there aren't other bad options, but that one is the worst in my book.

#186 Posted by Cross (50 posts) -

@HatKing said:

I hope that Square grabs some stuff. Maybe Darksiders and Saints Row? Those feel like good fits over there. WB would be another good home, I think. I don't really want to play another Darksiders/Saints Row game every year, so let's keep them away from EA and Activision. Maybe Bethesda will buy something and actually start publishing some good games? Er, I guess I can keep clinging to the pipe dream that some benevolent entity will step in and buy these franchises for the sake of the art, or some shit. Aren't there any insane rich dudes who love video games?

Yeah, there was one. Remember Curt Schilling?

#187 Posted by ITSSEXYTIME (220 posts) -

@h0lgr: My big concern with CoH2 is that Relic won't be able to provide proper post-release support without THQ backing them. DoW2 lost support (and most of the dev team got laid off from Relic) this past march because of THQ's financial woes.

#188 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

Personally, I'm only concerned for Darksiders and Saints Row. I hope whoever decides to take up these games, do them justice. I'm pretty invested in the whole Darksiders universe, so I'd like to see it expand. Saints Row was just crazy fun, gamers need more of those out there. But please do not let it be EA.

#189 Posted by Lazyaza (2169 posts) -

Whatever franchise EA gets we can all officially confirm it dead afterwards, or at least an insulting weak representation of its former self, with the ending and several features/areas of content sold as dlc of course.

#190 Posted by Sanity (1896 posts) -

@ITSSEXYTIME said:

@h0lgr: My big concern with CoH2 is that Relic won't be able to provide proper post-release support without THQ backing them. DoW2 lost support (and most of the dev team got laid off from Relic) this past march because of THQ's financial woes.

I think relic will get picked up fairly quickly, they have such a strong pedigree im sure lots of big names will be in on the action.

#191 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Vod_Crack:

Monolith Productions, one of my all time favourite developers, who made F.E.A.R., Condemned, Blood, No One Lives Forever and goddamn Shogo have been completely fucked over by Warner Bros.

Do their games sell like shit? Besides FEAR and Condemned, I don't know any of those games and I'm sure a lot of other people don't know what they are either. Also, I'm sure FEAR 2 & 3 sold terribly. Besides, Monolith made the awesome Gotham City Impostors so they aren't fucked.

#192 Posted by HyperionXR (272 posts) -

If anything survives this, please, please, let it be Metro.

#193 Posted by fisk0 (3878 posts) -

Damn. I worry for what will happen to their strong PC exclusive franchises, felt like THQ was the only big publisher to really care about that market. After them there are pretty much only Paradox, but they probably aren't big enough to afford any of this stuff. Seems like Square Enix, Ubisoft or WB Games could be a decent fit for Darksiders, Saint's Row and Red Faction. Not so sure about Bethesda/Zenimax, doesn't seem like they are great to work with if Obsidian, inXile and Human Head are to be believed.

#194 Posted by HatKing (5844 posts) -
@Cross

@HatKing said:

I hope that Square grabs some stuff. Maybe Darksiders and Saints Row? Those feel like good fits over there. WB would be another good home, I think. I don't really want to play another Darksiders/Saints Row game every year, so let's keep them away from EA and Activision. Maybe Bethesda will buy something and actually start publishing some good games? Er, I guess I can keep clinging to the pipe dream that some benevolent entity will step in and buy these franchises for the sake of the art, or some shit. Aren't there any insane rich dudes who love video games?

Yeah, there was one. Remember Curt Schilling?

Hahah... Good point.
#195 Posted by Vod_Crack (706 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@Vod_Crack:

Monolith Productions, one of my all time favourite developers, who made F.E.A.R., Condemned, Blood, No One Lives Forever and goddamn Shogo have been completely fucked over by Warner Bros.

Do their games sell like shit? Besides FEAR and Condemned, I don't know any of those games and I'm sure a lot of other people don't know what they are either. Also, I'm sure FEAR 2 & 3 sold terribly. Besides, Monolith made the awesome Gotham City Impostors so they aren't fucked.

No the other games are just old. No One Lives Forever and its sequel, in particular, were critically acclaimed. And if you think Gotham City Impostors was awesome and a good use of Monolith's talent, then I will take a dose of whatever you're having.

#196 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

I'd hate to see Darksiders III developed by Bioware.

#197 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Vod_Crack: Here's some happy pills!

#198 Posted by Slag (4085 posts) -

Well this is a horrific bummer. I'd liked the Clearlake plan much better

I'd say it looks really bleak for Darksiders then

#199 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Here comes EA, the harbinger of doom.

#200 Posted by ripelivejam (3587 posts) -

@langdonx said:

@Rirse said:

Please don't be EA. I don't want the future Saints Row games to be Origin only.

I'm not playing Dead Space 3 because of that. Pretty petty, eh? =[

kinda is. it's basically steam. there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.