Patrice Désilets Has 'Several Ideas' for His THQ Project

Posted by patrickklepek (3389 posts) -
Désilets is working out of THQ Montreal, which recently took on the Homefront franchise, too.

It's going to be a while before we're playing the next game from Patrice Désilets, the former creative director of the Assassin's Creed series. Though he decided to shack up with THQ a while ago, his noncompete contract with Ubisoft meant he couldn't start active work until this June.

"Patrice did start a little bit ago," said THQ CEO Brian Farrell on a quarterly call today discussing THQ's disappointing results. "We had already assembled a team in Montreal, so he has hit the ground running."

"I have not personally discussed the IP that he has in mind," continued Farrell. "I know that he has several ideas that we want to run through our greenlight process. The idea is to create a triple [A], core gaming experience using the best of his creative abilities."

While Farrell's comments do not provide any new information about what Désilets is actually working on, that THQ has not even greenlit one of the ideas he's been mulling over confirms we're a long ways off.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3389 posts) -
Désilets is working out of THQ Montreal, which recently took on the Homefront franchise, too.

It's going to be a while before we're playing the next game from Patrice Désilets, the former creative director of the Assassin's Creed series. Though he decided to shack up with THQ a while ago, his noncompete contract with Ubisoft meant he couldn't start active work until this June.

"Patrice did start a little bit ago," said THQ CEO Brian Farrell on a quarterly call today discussing THQ's disappointing results. "We had already assembled a team in Montreal, so he has hit the ground running."

"I have not personally discussed the IP that he has in mind," continued Farrell. "I know that he has several ideas that we want to run through our greenlight process. The idea is to create a triple [A], core gaming experience using the best of his creative abilities."

While Farrell's comments do not provide any new information about what Désilets is actually working on, that THQ has not even greenlit one of the ideas he's been mulling over confirms we're a long ways off.

Staff
#2 Edited by metrodextrous (9 posts) -

Hope he lives up to his legacy.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

is this REALLY news?

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11802 posts) -

"We want to make a good game"

Riveting.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (35799 posts) -

Wait, why did you add the A? How do you know he wasn't talking about a game made for triple core computers? How do you know that he isn't making them if triple core computers are fake?

#6 Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -

Does Double Fine have any part in this?  

#7 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Interesting...

#8 Posted by Subjugation (4714 posts) -

Hmm. Ok ...

How do I even comment on this? I don't have anything to work with.

#9 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

I wonder if it will be like Assassins creed? wouldnt hurt to have 2 really good assassin games to choose from.

#10 Posted by Scodiac (470 posts) -

We're a lonnnnnnng ways off. 

#11 Posted by Zolfe (262 posts) -

how much did he pay you to post this lol
 is it because you two have similar names

#12 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

"HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN I INVENTED ASSASSINS AND DUDES THAT WEAR HOODS I  KNOW U DID AND DID U KNOW I AM ENZIO THE STORY FROM THE GAME IS ACTUALLY BASED ON MY LIFE I LIKE ASSASSINS AND HOODS

Um. Nice quarter article.

#13 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

You're better than this, Patrick.

#14 Posted by StaleCrouton (20 posts) -

Wow, warm response from the community here... Anyway, Thanks for the update Patrick. I honestly have been curious about Patrice's next project. I've heard great things about him from a bunch of game journalists and hope that his next project turns out great.

#15 Posted by SuperJoe (865 posts) -

It will involve climbing stuff.

#16 Edited by BackupPanic (110 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

"We want to make a good game"   

Riveting.

This, only in a very Ryan-esque fashion.
#17 Edited by Sinful (211 posts) -

So "No information" is News now......thanks Patrick.

Do people even screen these before they are posted?

#18 Posted by MadLaughter (200 posts) -

I was looking for an update on Patrice, this filled that need.  Thanks Patrick.

#19 Posted by VibratingDonkey (849 posts) -

Jesus game. I'm calling it.

#20 Posted by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

@StaleCrouton said:

Wow, warm response from the community here...

No kidding! I really can't understand the whole "this isn't news" trend among asshole commenters. I blame that GameJournos guy on twitter

The question becomes at what point do they start developing for the next generation of systems? We will likely have new consoles within 2 years (average dev time) Maybe they brought him in to create their new "next-gen" franchise??

#21 Edited by Sinful (211 posts) -
@TinyGallon: yes...disagreeing what news or not news is clearly a trend. disagreeing makes those people assholes, so true......
#22 Posted by coheno (32 posts) -

Yeah, this must be for the next-gen consoles... Def. not this gen!

#23 Edited by Danda (76 posts) -

Interesting... But where's the part where THQ rejects all of his original ideas and they put him in charge of Homefront 2?

#24 Edited by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

@Sinful: I guess it has more to do with the dismissive, condescending tone I often read than the fact someone could "disagree" with what is news..

But how do you disagree with "what is news" anyway? This article states his game has yet to even be green lit - was that already common knowledge? Or do folks just feel they've wasted their time because the story was not significant enough for them?

If this subject doesn't interest you, (and apparently a few other commenters posting) what's the point of coming here to make yourself sound like an entitled jerk? Same thing with the Amazon/3DS story from yesterday - it actually had the potential to be a big story, but read the comments posted under it and you will be quickly dismayed with humanity

#25 Posted by ptys (1862 posts) -

It's pretty impressive when you think about what the first Assassin's Creed brought to this generation in terms of traversal and combat. That game doesn't get enough love. Lets hope the innovation is still there as we're getting to the stage where everything has been done before.

#26 Edited by sixpin (1286 posts) -

@TinyGallon: Now I know why Kotaku started banning people for posting "This is news?" and "Slow news day?" It is an annoying trend.

Also, I hope he preforms well for THQ or he might join Red Faction out on the curb.

#27 Posted by Dynamix (98 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

Hmm. Ok ...

How do I even comment on this? I don't have anything to work with.

Just say that his beard is sexy and be done with it.
#28 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I saw Patrice once on the streets of Toronto. This man is... mesmerizing. And that french accent... I mean... common. I can't wait for the promo videos for his new game... so I'll have an excuse to stare at the man.

#29 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -
@TinyGallon:  no entitlement here.  preach on brother.
#30 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Interesting thanks for the info Patrick. Assassin's Creed is one of my favorite franchises out there so I'm excited to see what this guy has up his sleeve.

#31 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
"We want to make a good game"   Riveting.
Really huh? LOL
#32 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1437 posts) -

Please be another historical game!
#33 Posted by cartvader (142 posts) -

I hope it is good or THQ will Red Faction him.

#34 Posted by jaks (243 posts) -

GAME DESIGNER HAS IDEAS FOR NEXT GAME STAY TUNED SUPERFANS

#35 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Wait, he hasn't started on a game yet? Huh...

#36 Posted by pmurph (75 posts) -

Wow  guys chill , and yes it is is news . just because it isn't the most interesting nugget of information doesen't mean you should not be allowed to post it. 

Who forced your hand to click the article anyway? the headline was pretty clear and it's not like he's going to shae all his ideas with the press so everyone can go rip him off.  

The fact half you guys chose to comment complaining about how this "isnt news" shows you didnt have much to do anyway.

#37 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@pmurph said:

Wow guys chill , and yes it is is news . just because it isn't the most interesting nugget of information doesen't mean you should not be allowed to post it. Who forced your hand to click the article anyway? the headline was pretty clear and it's not like he's going to shae all his ideas with the press so everyone can go rip him off. The fact half you guys chose to comment complaining about how this "isnt news" shows you didnt have much to do anyway.

pmurph speaks only truths.

#38 Posted by Rekt_Hed (843 posts) -

Ummmmmmmm so... get hype!!????

Sorry maybe im not hardcore enough but its hard to get excited about someone coming up with some ideas to get green lit. Anyone can come up with ideas for games. I will only start to care when we get some more details around it to actually start thinking about if it will work or not.

I know, I know the dude made assassins creed but as the papers say 'youre only as good as your next headline'

#39 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Danda: You don't get a guy known for being the creative director of anything to put onto Homefront 2.

@Rekt_Hed: I got some interesting info just on the industry as a whole, plus found it interesting to know what was going on with this. It isn't supposed to be hype producing, it's just a quick bit of info. For people who are interested in when this will be happening and what it'll be, this is a good bit of information, so they at least know the have a bit of a wait before they hear anything.

#40 Posted by probablytuna (3523 posts) -

Looking forward to seeing what projects he has lined up.

#41 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

If it's anything near as deep and complex as the pure fucking literary experience that was AC 1, I am all in. If it's the trite fratboy fantasy of AC 2, I don't give a shit. If it's the mature but inexplicably plotted old school gaming experience of AC:BroHo, count me a little iffy.

AC 1. Please let it be another AC 1.

#42 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

The fact that this is on the page immediately below the story about THQ shitcanning Red Faction does not really inspire confidence that we'll see anything interesting from this guy, even if he has good ideas.

#43 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Good to hear it will be a new IP.

#44 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
If it's anything near as deep and complex as the pure fucking literary experience that was AC 1, I am all in. If it's the trite fratboy fantasy of AC 2, I don't give a shit. If it's the mature but inexplicably plotted old school gaming experience of AC:BroHo, count me a little iffy.  AC 1. Please let it be another AC 1.
Although I do not share your distaste for AC2 (as a game, it played better), I'd also love something more in the vein of AC 1.  

There were so many great things from AC1 that did not survive in the sequel (the post-stabbing conversations, for one). 
#45 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Really interested in what the maker of assassin's creed has to offer us next. I just wish it wouldn't be such an apparently long wait, but oh well.

#46 Posted by leebmx (2198 posts) -

Game developer to make game.....

#47 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
"We want to make a good game"   Riveting.
This exact thought crept through my mind.
#48 Posted by ArchTeckGuru8 (215 posts) -

he is powered by BEARD

#49 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -
@leebmx said:
Game developer to make game.....
Hehe, yeah, amazing bit of non-news here. 

That said, the man's clearly got himself a head on him.  Can't wait to see what he makes.
#50 Posted by MeatSim (10734 posts) -

Truly this was breaking news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.