Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

THQ

Company »

THQ Inc. (Toy Headquarters) was a global American developer and publisher of video games.

So, what will happen to Steam-games?

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I just booted up Steam and noticed that there are lots of THQ-games in my library that I have not downloaded, and scary thought crawled into my head and laid its eggs on my brain. What will happen to THQ-games in the Steam service? Will they be available for download in the future?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@charlie_victor_bravo:

I'm pretty sure even if something is no longer for sale, you can still download it as long as it's linked to your account, so there shouldn't be an issue.

TheFreepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheFreepie

Same, got the THQ collection and have only played Homefront and Darksiders

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bishna

I am pretty sure @ll_Exile_ll is right. Some of the games that were bought might get an update to take out the THQ logo and replace it with the new owner's, but I presume nothing will happen to games like Darksiders.

And its not like Darksiders will just disappear or become free domain. THQ is still going through chapter 11 bankruptcy, so someone will end up with the rights to Darksiders and other properties that weren't sold in the auction.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

the games can probably still be sold, just the earnings will go to the new owners of said game franchises.  

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TopCat88

It's something I hadn't considered before but I think those above me are right. There shouldn't be a problem here.

eSci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By eSci

In the filing, I believe, it stated that THQ still owns the rights to their backlog i.e. games already released. I wouldn't worry about it too much; however, there has been problems in the past with games being pulled from digital distribution like the midway games being pulled from XBLA when they went under. So who knows.

coilcloudvaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coilcloudvaper

you'll actually owe steam money

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

If a game you've purchased gets removed/deactivated from Steam, you can still download and play that game through Steam.

There's actually been quite a few games removed from Steam, like League of Legends, Crysis 2, Vice City for a little while, Dragon Age 2, hell even the War-Z I guess.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By bacongames

@eSci said:

In the filing, I believe, it stated that THQ still owns the rights to their backlog i.e. games already released. I wouldn't worry about it too much; however, there has been problems in the past with games being pulled from digital distribution like the midway games being pulled from XBLA when they went under. So who knows.

I'm assuming that nowadays they have it built into the paperwork to account for just this issue, likely a problem with Midway because it wasn't specified and defaulted to being taken down.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

This reminds me that the THQ bundle is 25 bucks on Amazon, you guys should get while the getting's good. 25 bucks is a good deal for Darksiders 2 as it is.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

Even if they are removed from the storefront, they should still be accessible to those who already bought them.

Do any of them contain additional DRM that could stop functioning? I'm more concerned about that.

eSci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By eSci

@BaconGames said:

@eSci said:

I'm assuming that nowadays they have it built into the paperwork to account for just this issue, likely a problem with Midway because it wasn't specified and defaulted to being taken down.

Very true. I don't know the licensing that was made with say, Valve, with the digital distribution and the event the license for the product was sold. However, considering THQ was able to keep their licenses for backlogs (still trying to find the source of this again) I doubt anything is going to matter. In the case with Midway, my guess would be they didn't keep their license for already sold games or your good point on the license never covered the specific event of licensing changing hands.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Seedofpower

@LordAndrew said:

Even if they are removed from the storefront, they should still be accessible to those who already bought them.

Do any of them contain additional DRM that could stop functioning? I'm more concerned about that.

Darksiders 2 contains additional DRM. Nothing along the lines of what Ubisoft used to pull but they require you to make an account with THQ. I have a feeling all of that is gonna go out the window in a few months.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.