South Park, Company of Heroes 2, Metro: Last Light Delayed

• 130 results
Posted by patrickklepek (2208 posts) -
THQ said it's delaying its upcoming slate to focus on polish required to remaining competitive.

THQ’s fiscal 2013 second quarter call today was not filled with much joy, and the company was quick to end it.

Firstly, South Park: The Stick of Truth was scheduled for March 5, 2013, but it’s now scheduled for “early fiscal 2014,” which means sometime after March 31, 2013. Company of Heroes 2 and Metro: Last Light are now both scheduled for vague releases in March, though presumably before the fiscal year is up on March 31.

Darksiders II was released to a decent amount of fanfare in August, but it hasn’t translated into stellar sales, with THQ characterizing the sequel as having underperformed.

The company also refused to issue any financial guidance for the future, and cancelled the traditional Q&A session with analysts and investors at the end of the call. THQ basically hung up the phone, but alluded to the publisher continuing to have money flow problems as it continues its painful transition.

It doesn’t seem like things are going to get any easier at THQ anytime soon.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2208 posts) -
THQ said it's delaying its upcoming slate to focus on polish required to remaining competitive.

THQ’s fiscal 2013 second quarter call today was not filled with much joy, and the company was quick to end it.

Firstly, South Park: The Stick of Truth was scheduled for March 5, 2013, but it’s now scheduled for “early fiscal 2014,” which means sometime after March 31, 2013. Company of Heroes 2 and Metro: Last Light are now both scheduled for vague releases in March, though presumably before the fiscal year is up on March 31.

Darksiders II was released to a decent amount of fanfare in August, but it hasn’t translated into stellar sales, with THQ characterizing the sequel as having underperformed.

The company also refused to issue any financial guidance for the future, and cancelled the traditional Q&A session with analysts and investors at the end of the call. THQ basically hung up the phone, but alluded to the publisher continuing to have money flow problems as it continues its painful transition.

It doesn’t seem like things are going to get any easier at THQ anytime soon.

#2 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Fuck, fuck, and fuck again.

#3 Posted by IceColdGamer (605 posts) -

:(

#4 Posted by HyperionXR (278 posts) -

No... Please just let Metro make it!

#5 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (560 posts) -

I was really hoping that Darksiders 2 would help but in hindsight pinning your hopes on that one title did seem to be folly. Better get that next Saints Row out the door quick!

#6 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

DICKTITS!

#7 Posted by sofus (13 posts) -

nooo my metrooo!

#8 Posted by KnifeySpoony (1167 posts) -

Pretty sad news, they've been putting out some of the more interesting games in the last couple years.

#9 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1830 posts) -

Should've seen this coming...but still disappointing. I hope Metro makes it by March. I'm kind of surprised Darksiders didn't sell better. It's hardly the most popular series out there but the sequel had a decent amount of hype behind it before it came out.

#10 Posted by gamer812 (43 posts) -

This news makes me sad. Very sad.

#11 Posted by iceman228433 (617 posts) -

This might be it for THQ, I did buy all there games this year Saints Row 3, Darksiders 2, and WWE 13 to try and help them but it seems it is not enough.

#12 Posted by DonChipotle (2840 posts) -

South Park nooooooo

#13 Posted by Abendlaender (2888 posts) -

I don't like the sound of this. If they kill Relic I'll never get Homeworld 3.....

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

Boooo. I got both COH 2 and SP pre-ordered. Wonder if I will get a refund if they get canned.

#15 Posted by jbuchan76 (156 posts) -

if you read into it via the forbes.com article. it really looks like they're done.. or will be done before Q2 next year.. I sure hope not! I love THQ.

#16 Posted by Korwin (3013 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

I don't like the sound of this. If they kill Relic I'll never get Homeworld 3.....

Relic will survive, the studio will likely be picked up by another publisher... I just hope it's Square and not EA or Activision.

#17 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

just a whole lot of sad news :( I didn't end up liking Darksiders 2 but I bought it just to throw some money their way. A real shame for THQ, I hope they can make a come back.

#18 Posted by Scratch (628 posts) -

Please don't cancel Company of Heroes 2. Please.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8052 posts) -

Darkiders 2 underperformed? They are fucked!

#20 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1288 posts) -

Oh, fucking hell. CoH 2 needs to happen. This cannot become the victim of mere financial bullshit.

#21 Posted by iceman228433 (617 posts) -

@Winternet: Yea from what I have seen Darksiders 2 sold like shit.

#22 Posted by Nightriff (5328 posts) -

Damn that sucks, THQ is a company I want to succeed and just can't seem to get the hits that they need to survive. I should've bought Darksiders 2 day one to support them but I'm also glad I didn't from what I have heard, it's good but not as much fun as the first one. What other games have they released since Darksiders 2? That can't be the one they put all their eggs into that basket....

#23 Posted by oneidwille (151 posts) -

I was really looking forward to that South Park game.

#24 Posted by Brian333 (43 posts) -

I hope they stick around long enough to publish Darksiders 3. I loved Darksiders but Darksiders 2 felt incomplete. It was kind of haunting, especially the music, but it felt like the first 2/3 was polished and ready while the last third was a rush job with no real resolution. Regardless I still enjoy the universe and hope we see more from Vigil games soon.

#25 Posted by Abendlaender (2888 posts) -

@Korwin said:

@Abendlaender said:

Relic will survive, the studio will likely be picked up by another publisher... I just hope it's Square and not EA or Activision.

Eh, after what happened to C&C I don't think EA has any interest in an RTS Studio and as long as they don't plan a Call of Duty RTS Activision wont care either. Maybe Take Two could pick them up.

Of course IF THQ dies, which I don't hope....

#26 Posted by Crab_Slayer (39 posts) -

I was really hoping things would get better for THQ. Im really looking forward to both the south park RPG and metro last light. Lets hope THQ doesn't collapse before there released.

#27 Posted by Cameron (607 posts) -

At this point, someone would pick up Metro and Company of Heroes (especially Company of Heroes) even if THQ goes under. They have to be mostly done by this point. It might delay things, but those games should come out. I'm not as sure about South Park, since that doesn't have a great game track record, but I imagine just having the name would be enough to sell it to enough fans to make money. Unless it's an absolute mess or something.

#28 Posted by GalacticPunt (1105 posts) -

An investor call where the company says "everything is fucked, we don't want to talk about it" and hangs up? Ouch, the vultures are really circling now.

#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Guys, this might be our chance, what if we create a kickstarter to save THQ and get Homeworld 3 at the same time!!!

Of course I make light of a sad situation. It is always sad when a publisher and/or Developer dies, because with it im sure many games never get sold, and so get bought up by a bank, or are just lost forever. Which I have no doubt happened to Homeworld when Sierra shut down. The same thing happen to System Shock and it will happen again.

#30 Posted by Veektarius (5012 posts) -

@Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 said:

I was really hoping that Darksiders 2 would help but in hindsight pinning your hopes on that one title did seem to be folly. Better get that next Saints Row out the door quick!

I never believed that game could sell well enough to save a company. Darksiders is meant to be a supplementary title. I guess a better question is what, exactly, is supposed to be THQ's headliner? Because I think even CoH 2 is a stretch.

#31 Posted by Bumpton (455 posts) -

That's a fucking shame. THQ may not be the biggest name in the game, but they make damn solid titles and it'd be awful if they end closing up shop.

#32 Posted by Abendlaender (2888 posts) -

@Dagbiker:

I don't really care about THQ's other games but if you make something that has something to do with something called "Homeworld 3" (I would also take WorldHome 3, WomeHorld 3 or "that other space thing from them guys who did some Warhammer stuff) in it I will do everything you want. Every.Thing!

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

All this cause of a stupid fucking drawing tablet. What a shame.

#34 Posted by DeadMonkeys (827 posts) -

If Metro gets cancelled, I don't know what I'll do with myself. First S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and now (possibly) this?

#35 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Well, I am looking forward to South Park so damn.

#36 Posted by Chaser324 (6741 posts) -

I just hope the Toy Headquarters remains solvent long enough to deliver us "The Next Great Sequel in the Saints Row Franchise".

#37 Posted by Butano (1786 posts) -

No, not Toy Headquarters too!

#39 Posted by Spookie (52 posts) -

@Scratch said:

Please don't cancel Company of Heroes 2. Please.

That shouldn't happen it had a massive showing at this years Eurogamer Expo and has just entered internal (Relic/THQ) testing. Closed beta is due to start this month too.

#40 Edited by Jack_Lafayette (3459 posts) -

THESE ARE ALL GAMES I AM HEAVILY INTERESTED IN PLAYING PLEASE DON'T GO OUT OF BUSINESS THQ ALSO SAINTS ROW 4 ALSO MANY PEOPLE MAKE THEIR LIVELIHOOD WORKING THERE AND THE INDUSTRY IS ALREADY NOT DOING SO HOT RIGHT NOW OKAY THANKS FOR HEARING ME OUT GUYS.

#41 Posted by Hef (1158 posts) -

You know I didn't really care much for darksiders 2 and only bought it cause there was on for $25 on steam some weekend really soon after it came out. I just started playing it this weekend and holy shit is that a loooooooong game. I was expecting something close to 8-10 hours but it's easily double that. There is a crap ton of content in that game.

Makes me wish it sold better.

#42 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Just make Saints Row: Quatro and they'll make some money!

#43 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -

THQ isn't doing great. Unfortunate, but a known factor at this point.

#44 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1695 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

Well, I am looking forward to South Park so damn.

Yeah, same here, that's a long time to wait now. I'm not all that surprised, since THQ's dire financial straits have been known for a bit, but you can't help but feel sorry for them. They really seem like they are trying their best. Stupid uDraw really fucked 'em over, apparently.

#45 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to South Park. :(

I also nearly punched the screen when I read ''2014'', but then I realised what it meant. It better not be delayed again. -_-

#46 Posted by mrcraggle (1979 posts) -

@Hef: It's only long because the game is so padded out with shit quests that make you do the same thing over and over again. I'd say there is probably less content than the original, just more bloat.

As for the the delay to South Park, did anyone really expect it not to be? This is Obsidian making this game, to expect timely, well polished games is just foolish.

#47 Posted by Scrawnto (2465 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

@Dagbiker:

I don't really care about THQ's other games but if you make something that has something to do with something called "Homeworld 3" (I would also take WorldHome 3, WomeHorld 3 or "that other space thing from them guys who did some Warhammer stuff) in it I will do everything you want. Every.Thing!

Yes.

#48 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

3 games I want delayed at once. Bummer...

#49 Posted by Andy_117 (169 posts) -

I really love THQ, I feel real bad for them. Darksiders II deserved to do better for them - whatever you think of the game, it was an ambitiously-scoped sequel in a sea of sequels that would rather rest on predecessor's laurels - and... man, they have the 40k license. And they've been real nice to it, too! They have heaps of brilliant developers under their wing. ...THQ is probably my favourite "big" publisher, and it hurts to see them in this sort of situation, honestly.

I suggest Kickstarter, THQ. Err'ones doin' it!

#50 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

THQ has some games I really want to play. Metro and more Saints Row... I hope they can pull through.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.