The Guns of Navarro: THQ's Dark Night of the Soul

#151 Posted by jmic75 (263 posts) -

Great article, I really hope Vigil lands on its feet. Having tangentially been involved in the Montreal games scene, more than Patrice Desilets jumped the Ubisoft ship for THQ, so hopefully those departures were on good terms.

#152 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

To the guys that only have sneepy comments to drop about either Patrick or Alex, all you end up doing is make yourself look like an asshole to th rest of the community.

Please, if you don't like a certain person, stop telling us as much.

It's super boring to have to skip all of your comments to get to comments that actually have any barring on what the article/feature is all about and makes some interesting points.

#153 Posted by ThatPrimeGuy (142 posts) -
@WarlordPayne said:

I hope Deep Silver gets Red Faction, too. I want Volition whole and free to make their crazy their way.

I just want Volition to stay Volition, I don't want them to turn out like Pandemic did after EA bought them.....(IE: A hollow shell of its former self that was canned after releasing a meh game ((Mercs 2 YOU COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER)) that EA forced their hand on too god damn much)
#154 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

*pours out 40*

#155 Posted by CaptRocketblaze (173 posts) -

Excellent breakdown.

#156 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@TorMasturba

To the guys that only have sneepy comments to drop about either Patrick or Alex, all you end up doing is make yourself look like an asshole to th rest of the community.

Please, if you don't like a certain person, stop telling us as much.

It's super boring to have to skip all of your comments to get to comments that actually have any barring on what the article/feature is all about and makes some interesting points.

This too!
#157 Posted by reichaos (10 posts) -

This was a great read Alex, well done. I'm hopeful for the future of these franchises and for these studios. Hopefully everyone can stay together and keep developing such intriguing franchises.

#158 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

I love these articles Alex I look forward to them every Sunday, great job.

#159 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

One question. If Viacom/SP Studios dispute Ubi's acquisition and win, leaving them to search for a new pub, does Ubi end up just eating the money they paid for it? Or is it reimbursed?

#160 Posted by Menito (23 posts) -

LOVE your writing style Alex keep it up! <3

#161 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

It's been a long while sense i was willing to set here and read one of these well done Alex

#162 Posted by AzlamOrlandu (26 posts) -

Great read, Alex. I had just started to appreciate Darksiders and Saints Row this year. And it's sad to see their fates in jeopardy.

#163 Posted by cthomer5000 (759 posts) -

fantastic piece. The most comprehensive thing I've seen on this whole situation.

#164 Posted by AssInAss (2600 posts) -
#165 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (330 posts) -

Great article.

#166 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1700 posts) -

@TestamentUK said:

This weekly column is fast becoming one of my favourite features on the site.

Good work, !

#167 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

@TorMasturba: How is it any different to the piles of comments saying "Don't let the haters get you down, SCOOPZ!" on any given Patrick article?

#168 Posted by thefncrow (13 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

@LordAndrew said:

@pw2566ch said:

I'm curious as to if Double Fine were to purchase their own games from this auction.

Double Fine already owns the rights to their games.

They don't own the rights to Costume Quest or Stacking. It was mentioned in one of the Giant Bombcasts.

From my understanding, Double Fine owns the IP to both Costume Quest and Stacking. What they were supposedly interested in from the THQ sale was to buy back the distribution rights that THQ had as the publisher for Costume Quest and Stacking on 360/PS3.

#169 Posted by SupberUber (304 posts) -

Thanks for a good read, Alex. I'll be looking forward to this every Sunday.

#170 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Really good write up, thanks Alex

#171 Posted by NTM (7321 posts) -

Oh, whew! I thought this was going to be about Alex leaving gaming journalism as I was reading the title, and I was starting to think "Oh man, this sucks..." Never mind!

#172 Posted by ThePiePieper (38 posts) -

This kind of stuff breaks my heart. Great write-up to a tragic story.

#173 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@SupberUber: Oh, this is weekly?

#174 Posted by tourgen (4461 posts) -

great article!

I can't wait to play some metro and saints row. deep silver is good news - as said in the article, it's better news than the most probable alternatives. deep silver shouldn't try to cram them into too small of a creative box.

#175 Posted by bigstrat2003 (64 posts) -

Wait, $500,000 barely covers the cost of a house in some parts of the country!? Do I even want to know what an expensive house is?

I'm blown away because where I live, a cheap house is like $60-80k, and a really nice house (not a mansion or anything, but a decent-sized house on a wooded lot in town) costs $200k. Crazy to imagine paying $500k for a house.

#176 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Great write up Alex. It's the first one on the site I actually read and didn't just skip/skim over. While I'm interested in seeing what happens with Relic and Sega, the most interesting thing on that list is seeing what a new wrestling game will look like now that it's going to end up in the hands of new people. Even though I don't like watching wrestling anymore, I grew up with it and it's always going to be a part of my life. I also find myself breaking down every 5-6 years and buying a game and getting super addicted to it and making CAW's for months on end. Last time was SVR 2009. So if they can do something really neat now that it's under new management, then 2014 may be the next year I buy.

#177 Posted by Shaanyboi (1281 posts) -

@bigstrat2003 said:

Wait, $500,000 barely covers the cost of a house in some parts of the country!? Do I even want to know what an expensive house is?

I'm blown away because where I live, a cheap house is like $60-80k, and a really nice house (not a mansion or anything, but a decent-sized house on a wooded lot in town) costs $200k. Crazy to imagine paying $500k for a house.

You don't want to live in Vancouver then...

#178 Posted by Voysa_Reezun (39 posts) -

@bigstrat2003 said:

This is going to sound dickish, but do you live in the American South, perhaps, possibly in a smaller town?

In major population centers on the West Coast (L.A., the Bay Area, Seattle), 500K is a starting point for a house. Well, not so much Seattle - 500K - 1M will get you a good house in a really nice neighborhood, but in California, if you want a house in a big city, you'll be shelling out 1M+. Condos in NYC are the same way.

Not as many people want to live in the South (or Midwest, depending on the area), so you'll get lower prices. Demand drives prices.

#179 Posted by Grixxel (764 posts) -

Great article, sad story. Bye THQ.

#180 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

@Voysa_Reezun said:

@bigstrat2003 said:

This is going to sound dickish, but do you live in the American South, perhaps, possibly in a smaller town?

In major population centers on the West Coast (L.A., the Bay Area, Seattle), 500K is a starting point for a house. Well, not so much Seattle - 500K - 1M will get you a good house in a really nice neighborhood, but in California, if you want a house in a big city, you'll be shelling out 1M+. Condos in NYC are the same way.

Not as many people want to live in the South (or Midwest, depending on the area), so you'll get lower prices. Demand drives prices.

California is absurdly expensive. Even the most expensive places here in Utah (SLC, St. George) aren't even approaching the general property costs in CA or NY, among others.

#181 Posted by YukoAsho (2014 posts) -

THQ is, for want of a better term, a tragic tale of making a turnaround far, far too late. I didn't really pay attention to them until the PS2 era, with Red Faction being one of a dreadfully few games I bought from the company at the time, owing mainly due to how rare these games were. Until 2007, it seemed the company was content to release maybe a gem or two, but not giving them nearly the same love as their licensed properties. Ah, but from 2007 onward, the company was amazing as they tried to shed its "license dumping ground" legacy, putting out some of the best titles of the generation. It really seemed like they were on their way to greatness.

Then came the uDraw tablet fiasco.

In one bout of unquestioned stupidity, THQ tried again to reach for the insanely profitable but equally fickle kids and casual market, taking a moderate success on the Wii and trying to put it on the other platforms. The result, as Alex noted with the nod to E.T., is comparable to the massive failings of Atari in the months leading up to the crash. It was a blow that THQ would never recover from, even as Jason Rubin tried to keep the ship afloat.

The whole thing reeks of the sort of gross mismanagement that ate Acclaim, Midway and Atari, but unfortunately, there will be foolish publishers (EA), who see this and decide to be even more conservative in their business decisions. Hopefully there are enough 2Ks out there to make the crazy games keep on coming. Lord knows we need them now more than ever.

#182 Posted by YukoAsho (2014 posts) -

@Voysa_Reezun said:

@bigstrat2003 said:

Not sure about bigstrat2003, but I live in the suburbs surrounding Miami, FL, and you can get a pretty decent house for $200K as well. You are right about the South, however, being not as desirable. South Florida is the only part of the South I'd want to live in, really, though being Cuban-American might color my perception a bit.

#183 Posted by statiknights (14 posts) -

@Voysa_Reezun: Just a point of knowledge, Houston, one of the fastest growing cities in America has a strong and very cheap housing market.

The home I live in right now we bought for 80k and is a 4 bed 2 bath. Many homes can still be purchased for <150k in good areas of town.

#184 Posted by Voysa_Reezun (39 posts) -

@statiknights said:

@Voysa_Reezun: Just a point of knowledge, Houston, one of the fastest growing cities in America has a strong and very cheap housing market.

The home I live in right now we bought for 80k and is a 4 bed 2 bath. Many homes can still be purchased for <150k in good areas of town.

Yes, I didn't want to oversimplify precisely because there are some fast-growing places in the South where the housing market prices haven't yet caught up to demand (Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta).

#185 Posted by Jackel2072 (2248 posts) -

Great read Alex keep it up sir!

#186 Posted by bigstrat2003 (64 posts) -

@Voysa_Reezun said:

@bigstrat2003 said:

I live in the upper Midwest, and as a result I realize that housing prices here are going to be lower than what I'd see elsewhere. The surprise to me is how much more it is. I never would have expected that it would be on the order of 10x more expensive to buy a house elsewhere.

#187 Posted by ElvishPresley (86 posts) -

Knocked it out of the park,

#188 Posted by TrevorH (28 posts) -

What a great fucking headline. LOL

#189 Posted by PXAbstraction (333 posts) -

Fantastic write-up Alex, the best I've seen on the THQ situation yet. Like you, I've seen several publishers go away and whiel that always sucks, I've felt myself feeling much more profoundly sad at the loss of THQ. They were a badly run company (Brian Farrell should win some award for worst CEO) in many ways but like you said, they took a lot of creative risks and release some really unique, kooky stuff that the likes of EA or Activision would never have let come to pass. An important philosophy in the AAA space became a lot quieter this week. Maybe it had to be since the AAA industry as a whole can't seem to find a way to make sustainable profits any more but that makes me damn sad. THQ was important for a lot of what they did and a lot of great potential was lost with them. I hope everyone from there lands on their feet and continues to be able to make amazing things.

#190 Edited by Amafi (651 posts) -

@statiknights said:

My tiny apartment 30 minutes by bus from the second largest city in norway was ~220k. And that's CHEAP. I can't even fathom a house going for $80k. Sounds like heaven.

And I really hope Vigil (and the darksiders IP) finds a new home. I love both those games so much.

#191 Posted by jred250 (107 posts) -

Great article Alex. Absolutely one of the best written pieces I've seen on the site. You should be extremely proud of this, as it blended the right amount of personal insight and gobs of useful information. I have similar feelings about the sale and this piece really struck a chord with me.

#192 Posted by CarlosTheDwarf (41 posts) -

@planetary said:

@paulwade1984 said:

Wow. Alex just sent Patrick to school.

Yep. Alex knows how to write, and this is a well-thought, well-written piece.

Word.THIS is what I want to see at GB.

#193 Posted by Twisted (177 posts) -

Excellent article. For someone like myself who hasn't been paying a whole lot of attention to the finer details of what's been happening and what companies have bought which studios and everything else surrounding THQ's demise, this was a great read. I feel like it told me everything I needed to know and I now feel like I'm up-to-date.

Thanks a lot Alex.

#194 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1141 posts) -

Great piece, Alex.

And some sad news to start the year off with - pour one out for THQ and all the people who are out of a job, everybody.

#195 Posted by Triumvir (474 posts) -

Best article I've seen on here is months. I hope you can write more of these.

#196 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@thefncrow said:

@pw2566ch said:

@LordAndrew said:

@pw2566ch said:

I'm curious as to if Double Fine were to purchase their own games from this auction.

Double Fine already owns the rights to their games.

They don't own the rights to Costume Quest or Stacking. It was mentioned in one of the Giant Bombcasts.

From my understanding, Double Fine owns the IP to both Costume Quest and Stacking. What they were supposedly interested in from the THQ sale was to buy back the distribution rights that THQ had as the publisher for Costume Quest and Stacking on 360/PS3.

That actually sounds about right. Because if they lose the distribution rights, wouldn't that mean that the game can't be sold on PS3 and 360?

#197 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

@Triumvir said:

Best article I've seen on here is months. I hope you can write more of these.

Fully agree with you on that.

#198 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Thank you Alex. Finally a quality piece of writing on this site (not counting reviews). Great to see a creative, original, interesting written feature.

#199 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

This is good news indeed. I'm glad Sega got Company of Heroes. It's a perfect fit for them. I'm also REALLY happy that Activision, EA or Ubisoft didn't get Saints Row or Metro. Who knows how much they would've butchered them. I especially have my eye on you, EA.

#200 Posted by ripelivejam (3740 posts) -

ok tell me again why you guys keep bringing up patrick in an article that has nothing to do with him? are you so hungry to take him down in your endless crusade? just sit silent be good and keep your rotten thoughts to yourselves. it does nothing but taint the work both alex and patrick contribute to this site. im sure alex would wholeheartedly agree. that said, fine article alex, nicely concise breakdown of the aftermath and appreciated your interjections. you are a valuable asset to this site, as are all the members of the bombcrew.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.