The Guns of Navarro: THQ's Dark Night of the Soul

#251 Posted by Jnorman (67 posts) -

Good read.

#252 Posted by kidalb3rt (3 posts) -

Some of my fondest memories are the WCW games! Thanks THQ <3

#253 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

well played

#254 Posted by FakeKisser (324 posts) -

Great article. So, it looks like Crytek is just going to hire a bunch of Vigil's talent, which would leave Darksiders floating. Perhaps someone can buy the license and carry on the legacy, but that could be good or really bad...

#255 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

Best Buy currently has the uDraw tablet for $5.99. Worth buying as a notorious piece of videogame history?

#256 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

@Missacre said:

@insanejedi: @Pinmonkey:

Wow, you guys are some real assholes. I make ONE comment about EA, and the white knight brigade comes to the rescue. Real classy, you guys. Real classy.

There are trained monkeys lurking around the Internet who cannot fathom anything worse in video games than Call of Duty (despite EA releasing more bad Call of Duty games than Activision) and anything better than BioWare games (conveniently forgetting how much they hated Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, oh, and that Star Wars MMO).

#257 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@KittyVonDoom said:

@Missacre said:

@insanejedi: @Pinmonkey:

Wow, you guys are some real assholes. I make ONE comment about EA, and the white knight brigade comes to the rescue. Real classy, you guys. Real classy.

There are trained monkeys lurking around the Internet who cannot fathom anything worse in video games than Call of Duty (despite EA releasing more bad Call of Duty games than Activision) and anything better than BioWare games (conveniently forgetting how much they hated Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, oh, and that Star Wars MMO).

Oh man, those are some bad games. Especially Mass Effect 3. That game was just depressing. I can't begin to fathom how Bioware made one of the best games of all time, then made one of the most disappointing games of all time, all in the span of 3 releases. It was my favorite series since I bought ME1 on launch day all those years ago. It really does make me sad.

#258 Posted by Darkstorn (464 posts) -

@bigstrat2003 said:

@Voysa_Reezun said:

@bigstrat2003 said:

Wait, $500,000 barely covers the cost of a house in some parts of the country!? Do I even want to know what an expensive house is?

I'm blown away because where I live, a cheap house is like $60-80k, and a really nice house (not a mansion or anything, but a decent-sized house on a wooded lot in town) costs $200k. Crazy to imagine paying $500k for a house.

This is going to sound dickish, but do you live in the American South, perhaps, possibly in a smaller town?

In major population centers on the West Coast (L.A., the Bay Area, Seattle), 500K is a starting point for a house. Well, not so much Seattle - 500K - 1M will get you a good house in a really nice neighborhood, but in California, if you want a house in a big city, you'll be shelling out 1M+. Condos in NYC are the same way.

Not as many people want to live in the South (or Midwest, depending on the area), so you'll get lower prices. Demand drives prices.

I live in the upper Midwest, and as a result I realize that housing prices here are going to be lower than what I'd see elsewhere. The surprise to me is how much more it is. I never would have expected that it would be on the order of 10x more expensive to buy a house elsewhere.

This is going to sound like a boring buzzword, but land use policy is very different in urban, suburban, and rural areas.

I'll bet that a 3 bedroom 2 bath home in the city center of Houston, Milwaukee, Nashville etc. would still be hundreds of thousands of dollars, similar to a West or East coast metro area. Homes in the suburbs or on the outskirts of a major city tend to be cheaper, generally.

However, the price you pay for living in the suburbs is a long commute and usually a significant distance to a walkable downtown area. Yes, it's cheaper to live in the burbs and you get a bigger lot for your money, but living in the city where the action is, so to speak, is worth the price for a lot of people.

Side note: I live in Oakland, CA and in my working class neighborhood, houses go for around 300k average, largely because of close proximity to Berkeley (where houses are in high demand). You can always find cheap neighborhoods and expensive ones in any city, but the closer you get to a downtown or a city center, the more you pay.

#259 Posted by Senno (74 posts) -

I agree with the bit about Vigil. A great studio, they made great games, and they're sadly not on anyone's list because they had the misfortune of releasing a game recently.

#260 Posted by adetheterrible (13 posts) -

RIP THQ - I've been playing Darksiders 2 and Metro 2033 in their honour.

#261 Posted by tanblue (1 posts) -

There is an update on Vigil's status: Crytek just launched Crytek USA in Austin and they are rehiring a bunch of Vigil's people. They are, however, NOT buying the Darksiders IP, so that is apparently still up for grabs.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/darksiders-creators-find-new-life-as-crytek-usa-a-new-american-branch-of-the-company-behind-crysis/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.