THQ Kills San Diego Studio

Posted by Alex (2391 posts) -
I guess this means we won't be getting a sequel anytime soon...

In a move all-but-assuredly timed to be buried underneath the deluge of press conference recaps and trailer postings of E3 Day Zero, THQ has reportedly shuttered one of its studios and then proceeded to totally not say anything about it.

The studio in question is THQ San Diego, the team that most recently had worked on the critically-acclaimed arcade wrestling game WWE All Stars. According to the report, the team had been working on a new UFC game, which obviously became unnecessary following today's announcement that the UFC licensed had been passed to EA.

The San Diego studio had originally been purchased by THQ from Midway, following the latter publisher's demise. The team had previously worked on TNA Wrestling, as well as the Backyard Wrestling series.

#1 Posted by Alex (2391 posts) -
I guess this means we won't be getting a sequel anytime soon...

In a move all-but-assuredly timed to be buried underneath the deluge of press conference recaps and trailer postings of E3 Day Zero, THQ has reportedly shuttered one of its studios and then proceeded to totally not say anything about it.

The studio in question is THQ San Diego, the team that most recently had worked on the critically-acclaimed arcade wrestling game WWE All Stars. According to the report, the team had been working on a new UFC game, which obviously became unnecessary following today's announcement that the UFC licensed had been passed to EA.

The San Diego studio had originally been purchased by THQ from Midway, following the latter publisher's demise. The team had previously worked on TNA Wrestling, as well as the Backyard Wrestling series.

#2 Edited by BoomSnapClap113 (186 posts) -

Did I win?

- Yes, Yes I did.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11786 posts) -

Bummer.

#4 Posted by ThePinkKnight (23 posts) -

Bummer.

All Stars was actually a ton of fun. Reminded me why I used to love wrestling years ago.

#5 Posted by JFetch (119 posts) -

One decent game isn't worth keeping you around.

#6 Posted by Zacagawea (1613 posts) -

#THQSanDiegoJobs

#7 Posted by samcroft90 (99 posts) -

@ThePinkKnight said:

Bummer.

All Stars was actually a ton of fun. Reminded me why I used to love wrestling years ago.

yup and it's a shame yukes gets to keep making average wwe games year after year and san diego gets the shaft.

#8 Posted by nonplayer (18 posts) -

:[

#9 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

Fucking sucks. I wanted All Stars 2 so badly.

#10 Posted by WhytePanther (107 posts) -

How do you spend so much time and money working on a game when you don't have the license secured for the duration of the project? What are you doing THQ?

#11 Posted by solus_impar (81 posts) -

News I was hoping not to hear after the EA and UFC deal. I wish all the best for the guys and their family's.

#12 Posted by Alex (2391 posts) -

@WhytePanther: They had the license. They reportedly sold it.

#13 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -

@WhytePanther: By the sound of it, THQ sold the license to EA. THQ wanted out of any licenses that they had to keep paying on as part of their business restructuring.

A damn shame.

#14 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -

Best wrestling game ever.

RIP :(

#15 Posted by Sparklykiss (1983 posts) -

Smooth move to do this all during E3. :|

#16 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

@Rmack said:

Best wrestling game ever.

RIP :(

Agreed !

#17 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

One. Decent. Game?

That track record seems about right for a Midway team.

#18 Posted by BionicRadd (616 posts) -

Dammit, I bought WWE All Stars day 1 just to support the damn thing based on the hype out of the GB crew. The game sold well, too, I thought? This sucks. I get it, THQ's in trouble, but this sucks. Get Volition to do All Stars 2 before they crank out Saints Row 4. :)

#19 Posted by gizmo88 (109 posts) -

Is this the THQ studio located in Carlsbad, CA? I work about a mile from the place, I hope they all land on their feet,

#20 Edited by LobsterVendetta (116 posts) -

Goddamn it, I loved WWE All-Stars since it was the closest thing to a current gen Kinnikuman game as I was going to get and I would have loved to see more of it. A damn shame since the way I see it, pro-wrestling games should be crazy like this than all that "simulation" stuff the annual games pull off. (Of course, there is always room for both but I they haven't really made stuff like this in years.)

#21 Posted by Mezmero (2065 posts) -

This is terrible news. Have skrulls infiltrated THQ just to bring it down from within?

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Does this mean that the next Saints game won't have a robust wrestling component?

#23 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

Pour one out, for the creators of Thrill Kill and Wu-Tang Shaolin Style have departed from this world.

#24 Posted by Pootpoot (17 posts) -
@WhytePanther they probably expected to be able to afford the license before their financial situation became dire
#25 Posted by JamieOD (75 posts) -

Sucks to see that happen.

#26 Posted by Korolev (1726 posts) -

It must be terrible to be working on a game, then to be told that it was all for nothing because your bosses didn't know the license was being given to another company until it was announced at E3. Surely the higher-ups at THQ would have received a heads-up about this? Or are they so incompetent that they ordered a game to be made using a license that they didn't know had been given away?

No wonder THQ is in the gutter. Their management teams are awful.

#27 Posted by Feikken (221 posts) -

So thats one less company making games a majority of people don't play

Sucks but that's how it goes

#28 Posted by hightopninja (6 posts) -

So..the only great wrestling game last year's studio is shut down. This was the only wrestling game I went back to after a week of playing in recent memory. Sorry for all those who lost their jobs, but I'm hopeful you'll land somewhere else and continue to rock my socks off.

#29 Posted by Shaymarx (113 posts) -

What are the chances of WWE putting in a bid for THQ?

Stranger things have happened.

#30 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Oh well, maybe your company should of run it's business better, and spend their money on games instead of stupid uDraw tablets.

#31 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I was hoping for a WWE All Stars 2. That game was way better than their "simulation" series.

#32 Posted by TooSweet (398 posts) -

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Wow, that's a pity. Haven't played a wrestling game since PS1. The fighting moves in Saints Row the Third prompted me to try All Stars and I've been very happy with it.

#33 Posted by TurboMan (7729 posts) -

@Shaymarx: They're currently trying to launch a TV Network.. I doubt they want to fool around with a video game division any time soon.

#34 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Well, I guess that means I can stop caring about wrestling games for a while. Lord knows I'm not going to bother with the THQ/Yuke's crap they keep churning out.

I can only hope that this team manages to get a job somewhere and put that talent to use with some other wrestling project. I doubt any other promotion has the kind of money nowadays to make a deal with a major game publisher, but there needs to be good wrestling games being made.

#35 Posted by fresh2deafbill (805 posts) -

too bad...their office is right by my house...in fact I drove by it yesterday and was thinking about what they were doing at E3

#36 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -

Thq is still alive and has studios?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.