If a Thundercats game gets released, does it make a sound?

#1 Posted by ch3burashka (5239 posts) -

Apparently, there's a Thundercats game coming... for the DS. The one screenshot I've seen doesn't look good. I found out about this seconds ago from Gamesradar's 'Games o September' compilation.

http://www.gamesradar.com/games-september-2012/?page=6

I'm honestly ashamed to say I have very little actual experience with Thundercats. I remember it from random viewings on Toonami, and I never stuck with it for whatever reason, but of all those shows, it always seemed like the most boss or whatever other phrase is/was appropriate. Not only that, it looked perfect for a game (shitty cash-in or not) - multiple classes, kick-ass weapons, great enemy design, etc. With the introduction of the new show, which I didn't watch, I figured there'd be a slight chance of a game announcement, but it never came... until it did. Honestly, I don't know who they expect to have heard about it, or buy it, a crappy game for a long-forgotten show.

Rather than be depressed, what are your fave Fundercats memories? I'll just claim the easy one and say that the intro was fucking amazing. Also, having watched the first episode recently when I tried to get into the show, finding out Lion-o is actually a rapidly-aged teenage boy due to broken cryofreeze machine changed him in my mind rapidly. It's downright creepy now.

#2 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -

Silverhawks > Thundercats 

#3 Posted by Village_Guy (2661 posts) -

I guess... Most games make a sound, unless you have turned the sound off of course... wait what was the question again?

As for Thundercats, I have never seen anything of it, like many other TV shows - they never made it over here.

#4 Edited by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Well it's a DS game for one thing and it's using the license of the 1980's characters. There's a 2011-2012 series out now and a couple of newer platforms in gamers' hands. Sadly, the reboot appears to have been cancelled following its 26 episode run. That number is pretty normal for a Japanese anime and it was made by Studio 4C in Japan, but anything less than 65 in America is considered a disappointment. Around that number is what's preferred for daily scheduling of animation. Either way, without Cartoon Network support, you're not going to see anything more than a web game. Supporting a franchise they've already given up on seems unlikely and I just don't see nostalgia for the 80's version motivating anyone to pick up a DS title.

On a side note, the link above reminded me that One Piece Pirate Warriors, the Dynasty Warriors styled beat 'em up will be available on September 21st through PSN.

#5 Posted by JackSukeru (5963 posts) -

@atomic_dumpling said:

I used to watch a bit of Thundercats as a kid and never even heard of this show, yet they had me at "hand wave to summon Boba Fett visir" and hair-shaped armor.

#6 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:

I used to watch a bit of Thundercats as a kid and never even heard of this show, yet they had me at "hand wave to summon Boba Fett visir" and hair-shaped armor.

I guess it was part of a package deal. We were treated with several obscure shows like Meatballs & Spaghetti , Pandamoniumand Turbo Teen
#7 Posted by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

The way it sounds, not a very loud one. THUNDERCATS HOOOOO

#8 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

If you've never heard of Silverhawks then you'd probably be surprised to hear there was a third series in this group, Tigersharks. I don't think it ran nationally in the US, like the other two, but it existed.

#9 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:

If you've never heard of Silverhawks then you'd probably be surprised to hear there was a third series in this group, Tigersharks. I don't think it ran nationally in the US, like the other two, but it existed.

#10 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

Yes, I know you all love to rant and hate on Jim Sterling, but his review was quite a treat to read nonetheless.

The game got 1 / 10.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.