Tidus - Good character?

#1 Posted by Man_Squirrel (3 posts) -

Anyone else think that Tidus is underrated? I think he was a great character. Not as cool as Auron though.

#2 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Honestly I thought he was one of the weaker characters of FFX.

#3 Posted by StealthPanda (17 posts) -

I liked him as a character because the game really let you know his story. At the beginning he was just a stubborn, scared, whiney guy, but at the end he understands his situation, and faces it really bravely.

#4 Posted by Vermouth (13 posts) -

He starts out really annoying and becomes mildly likeable.  I actually find him less annoying than a lot of other male leads in FF. 

#5 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
StealthPanda said:
"I liked him as a character because the game really let you know his story. At the beginning he was just a stubborn, scared, whiney guy, but at the end he understands his situation, and faces it really bravely.
"
This. He starts out near unbearable, and becomes mature enough to bear.
If only Rikku could go through such a path of self-discovery......
#6 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

Yeah he was pretty annoying when he had know idea wtf was going on.. but as the pilgrimage went on he started to become cooler.

#7 Posted by Timma1083 (566 posts) -

Basically what everyone else said, annoying at the beginning, pretty awesome near the end.

#8 Edited by Artie (693 posts) -

I'm the only person who liked Tidus the entire game I guess.

#9 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -
Artie said:
"I'm the only person who liked Tidus the entire game I guess.
"
I liked him from the get-go too.

He is a great character, but like you mentioned, Auron is better.
#10 Posted by Jordan23 (1000 posts) -
Personally, I don't care for Tidus (he just seem to soft my liking.) There will never be another Cloud Strife.

PS... I do like Tidus better than Squall (the absolute Final Fantasy character ever)!
#11 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

I don't recall ever thinking he was an annoying character. I liked him, thought his personality developed well as you went through the game. Though I agree, I thought Auron was cooler.

#12 Posted by Katsuri (43 posts) -

He started out as an annoying crybaby, and with time got a bareable personality to a certain degree. I don't think he's awesome though.

#13 Posted by eightbit (123 posts) -

I thought he was totally weak.  I mean, the structure they were going for with him narrating was a good idea and it worked, but they don't open him up as an insightful person for that from the beginning.  I mean his background story is deep, but the character itself is not very interesting, but should be, you know?  Plus, the voice acting is obnoxious at times and could have been toned down.  I think he got the job done at the end of the day, but we could have had a stronger Tidus, a more in-depth Tidus.

#14 Posted by gameshark5 (248 posts) -

auron was a total badass, but i thought Tidus was a pretty cool kid too

#15 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

Better than Vaan.

I'll give him that.

#16 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -
hazelnutman said:
"Better than Vaan.

I'll give him that."
Ain't that the truth.
#17 Posted by fatuous_waffle (62 posts) -

I didn't like him.  Call me old fashioned, but I like my heroes gritty, cigar-chomping and tough.  Like Duke Nukem, Snake, Cid Highwind, Dingo Egret, .  As usual, Square does a good job making you feel some kind of empathy or connection to him, like he 's a real person, but I'd probably punch Tidus and tell him to stop dressing like a gay fisherman if I knew him.

Square makes a lot of characters akin to Dave Matthews: I respect the artistry, but I'd never buy an album.

Yuna offends me more than Tidus.  I guess it's a Japense culture thing.  My understanding is that because of the Japanese language, a lot of stuff is vague when it's finally translated to English, so it sounds...well, vague.  Not because the translation is bad, but because Japanese is limited in its ability to state things with absolute clarity.  But my understanding could be off.  Anyway, Tidus and Yuna discuss how to keep smiling and all that bullshit and I want to drill through my nostrils.  That scene felt vapid; it meant nothing to me.  I wasn't feelin' it in the slightest.

Now, as annoyed as I am by FF7, I easily appreciated the relationship between Cloud and Tifa, even though they weren't explicitly in love.  Not once did they delve into the quasi psychobabble of FF10.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.