Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jun 08, 2009

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 is the latest edition of the perennial golf series, brought to you by EA Sports and EA Tiburon. The Wii version can be played with the Motion Plus adapter, while the 360 and PS3 versions utilize analog sticks for club control.

I review video games when I write words.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

I like to read reviews. I also like to laugh at how dumb these so called professional video game reviewers can be. While reading this review of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 for the Wii from the Official Nintendo Magazine UK, I found these sentences in the review.

"Unfortunately putting is still too random in feel. Far too often we practised our putting (by holding A and B at the same time - B on its own swings your club for real), matching the suggested power level almost exactly, only to attempt the real thing and see the ball rocket ten feet past the hole. We tried at different distances from the sensor bar to see if that affected it, but to no avail."

We tried at different distances from the sensor bar to see if that affected it, but to no avail.

I highlighted the part that caught my eye. Okay, Official Nintendo Magazine UK, let's go slow so you will understand. The sensor bar has nothing to do with motion, it's only used for the IR "infrared pointer functionality" that's it. The motion devices used in the Wii remote are sent to the Wii via Bluetooth. The sensor bar does not matter when you're pointing at the ground attempting a putt using motion controls, you got that. Whew.

I would expect the general public to not understand this, but this was written by the Official Nintendo Magazine UK. Dumb asses.

There's no moral to this story. I will continue to read enthusiast press video game reviews and will continue to laugh at how clueless they can be.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude

I like to read reviews. I also like to laugh at how dumb these so called professional video game reviewers can be. While reading this review of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 for the Wii from the Official Nintendo Magazine UK, I found these sentences in the review.

"Unfortunately putting is still too random in feel. Far too often we practised our putting (by holding A and B at the same time - B on its own swings your club for real), matching the suggested power level almost exactly, only to attempt the real thing and see the ball rocket ten feet past the hole. We tried at different distances from the sensor bar to see if that affected it, but to no avail."

We tried at different distances from the sensor bar to see if that affected it, but to no avail.

I highlighted the part that caught my eye. Okay, Official Nintendo Magazine UK, let's go slow so you will understand. The sensor bar has nothing to do with motion, it's only used for the IR "infrared pointer functionality" that's it. The motion devices used in the Wii remote are sent to the Wii via Bluetooth. The sensor bar does not matter when you're pointing at the ground attempting a putt using motion controls, you got that. Whew.

I would expect the general public to not understand this, but this was written by the Official Nintendo Magazine UK. Dumb asses.

There's no moral to this story. I will continue to read enthusiast press video game reviews and will continue to laugh at how clueless they can be.

link_dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By link_dc

I loled

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By ZombiePie

Maybe they're officially unofficial...I can't believe I did that, I should be shot....

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I get why that doesn't make any sense, but it really wasn't that big of an oversight. I mean the Wii can be so finicky sometimes that I often try pointless things like that too in my often futile attempts to get the motion controls to be more responsive.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Claude
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I get why that doesn't make any sense, but it really wasn't that big of an oversight. I mean the Wii can be so finicky sometimes that I often try pointless things like that too in my often futile attempts to get the motion controls to be more responsive. "
    I'm sorry, but that was dumb. It's not how it works and if you write reviews for video games you should know how it works. This was just plain dumb... dumb.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Claude said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " I get why that doesn't make any sense, but it really wasn't that big of an oversight. I mean the Wii can be so finicky sometimes that I often try pointless things like that too in my often futile attempts to get the motion controls to be more responsive. "
    I'm sorry, but that was dumb. It's not how it works and if you write reviews for video games you should know how it works. This was just plain dumb... dumb. "
    It's really not that big of a deal. That was what I was trying to get across.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

I like angry Claude. Makes me laugh. Now, I'm just waiting for angry Claude to release his fury on his Wii when he realizes that the motions he's attempting are not being replicated on the screen.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I laughed.  I cried.  I gave this blog two thumbs up.

I think a lot of people misinterpret the way the Wii remote actually works, which is a shame because it would blow the whole "flail your arms at the TV" thing out of the water.  But they've gotta have something to hate on, regardless of the fact that, ya know, the Wii and Nintendo produce a lot of fun times.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Claude
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    I'm sorry, but that was dumb. It's not how it works and if you write reviews for video games you should know how it works. This was just plain dumb... dumb. "
    It's really not that big of a deal. That was what I was trying to get across. "
    Not a big deal. That's not how the Wii works. That's false information being sent out to the public. I mean... who doesn't know that the sensor bar has nothing to do with motion controls. The general public maybe, but if you review games for a living... please.

@LiquidPrince said:
    " I like angry Claude. Makes me laugh. Now, I'm just waiting for angry Claude to release his fury on his Wii when he realizes that the motions he's attempting are not being replicated on the screen. "
    I'm only getting older. I'm sitting with a shotgun on my lap waiting for my neighbors to cross me. Motion Plus won't help me with my aim, because I use the IR dammit.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew
    @JJWeatherman: If that's the case, should the official Nintendo magazine really be pointing out faults in Nintendo's hardware? Either way, it doesn't look particularly good for them.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By c1337us

I can see your point about why they should know these things. But the important part of what was said there for me was more the fact that they were pointing out that the putting is not that great in the game, who cares what they thought might be the cause of it. That being said I never read Official X Magazine anything when I buy magazines. I usually go for the ones that cover everything.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Claude
    @c1337us said:
    " I can see your point about why they should know these things. But the important part of what was said there for me was more the fact that they were pointing out that the putting is not that great in the game, who cares what they thought might be the cause of it. That being said I never read Official X Magazine anything when I buy magazines. I usually go for the ones that cover everything. "
    What's so funny is the putting is great. EA did a great job for all the consoles with the new precision putting. It's the best new feature in all the Tiger Woods games. They probably just suck at the game, because I've never had that problem, but to try different distances from the sensor bar is just stupid. Sorry, but it is.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By c1337us

Having not played the newest Tiger Woods I cant offer an opinion about how the putting is for me personally. In fact I havent bought a Tiger Woods game in about 4-5 years come to think of it. So I'll have to take your word for it. I am waiting for The Ashes to come out on the Wii (the actual Ashes have already started but no game yet, not too smart). If that game gets me playing the Wii again I might pick it up (Woods 10) its about time I gave all my sports games a reboot.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

When I saw the title, I thought for a second that you were going to steal my fire of reviewing old games that nobody cares about enough to reply (yes, I linked to my blog. Does that make me a bad person?) . Instead I see you are ranting about other people being bad reviewers, which I approve of. Please continue.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By oldschool

More reasons not to care what is said by reviewers.  Claude, agreed. it was just dumb.  I am surprised that they even know how to turn the Wii on.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#16  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Maybe they were thinking about the delay of the speed of light? :)

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Xandurson

That is great! I just hope people will send in letters and they will show up in the next issue. I always love reading how Game Informer deals with their mistakes. It's usually funny but these people will probably take offense to being told they made a mistake.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Tireyo

Sometimes I wonder if there is such a thing as a professional. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Milkman
    @JJWeatherman said:

This. Who cares? Just because they are a video game reviewer means they can't make any mistakes? They're human. It's not like the mistake hurt the review in any way. The point is across that they don't like the putting. That's all that matters.

A lot of you guys are being pretty ridiculous about this.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    Alexander?  Is that you?

Anyways, gotta say that WAS dumb.  Publications to never read again has been updated.  Thanks for the pro tip, sir.  I should be renting this game soon...for the 360...and hopefully, the putting is more in tune with 2004 and 2005 than the installments after that.  Plus...I really wanna unlock that Isaac Clarke Dead Space suit skin!!!
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By dsplayer1010

Wow...

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Bruce

You can't honestly be surprised that people who wanted to write about games for a living are total idiots. I enjoy Kevin Van-Ord's writing for god awful structure and corny metaphor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.