Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Time Limit

Concept »

When a certain amount of time is given to the player to reach a goal or finish an objective.

The pursuit of ignorance

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I have that familiar pit of guilt at the bottom of my stomach.

It's the cavernous, hollow sense of despair caused by my own lack of self control. 

I have a lot of work to do. So damn much. And yet I continue developing contemptible ideas which drive me further and further from my alleged goals, almost as though I am catering directly to my own procrastination. Only the other night End_Boss and I began a multiplayer game of Civilization V, complete with the largest map size (the planet earth, for fucks sake) the maximum amount of city states and enemy AI and a modest difficulty setting. The game speed was set to standard. 6 hours in and we realised we had made a terrible, terrible mistake. Not only can you not change or alter the game settings once you have begun, you also cannot save your progress. One that ball starts rolling it rolls until the very end. Only in retrospect can I fully comprehend the awesome stupidity that was attempted that night. Who does something like that? This dumb fuck, apparently.  

Having said that, we did have an awesome game. We both picked random characters. I got Siam and, due to their unique building being a Wat which gives a decent cultural bonus, I decided to go the culture route. This meant a small amount of cities but with huge populations. I was pretty lucky to land on the top right chunk of Asia so I wasn't surrounded by aggressive opponents and was mostly left to myself to expand as I saw fit. I built only two cities and let them expand at a fairly steady rate. After I while my economy was so stable I was in an almost constant series of Gold Ages and I simply had to keep producing more buildings. I didn't even have much of an army, just some footsoldiers and a few war Elephants to keep the barbarians off my shit. Cultural victory is pretty tough, but my population was huge despite having only two cities, so my production was super intense and I was never short of food or money. I was throwing up Wonders in about 4 or 5 turns, meaning I had a ridiculous amount of culture boost. End_boss wasn't so lucky. Having to fend off a large parade of barbarian attention early in the game, I think he spent the majority of the match recovering until, at 4am, we decided enough was enough. I'm assuming I won, as I was ridiculously far ahead points-wise.

I have no idea why these Romans want Newcastle so badly. It's a shithole. 

The enthusiasm to which I dismiss my education can be largely credited to World Of Warcraft.

In my last blog I spoke about how the changes introduced by the Cattackalysm have greatly enhanced the gameplay and general leveling of the game, but what's truly boggling is how consistent this feeling is. There literally isn't enough time to see everything anymore. We are now at a state where an instance can give you a full bar of XP on a normal run, and each zone will carry you 4 or 5 levels. As a result I have found myself skipping entire zones purely to prevent the mobs from becoming mindlessly trivial. I'm going up levels so fast there are little kids in Chinese sweatshops paying me to leveltheir characters.
    Battlegrounds also give XP, which is equally great and frustrating. I can now hop into Warsong Gulch, do a few matches, hop out again - and find myself to have leveled beyond the current strand of quests, missing out on a load of the new content. I only got to do Wailing Caverns once. What's important here is the tone. "I only got to do Wailing Caverns once". As though that's a bad thing. 

No Caption Provided

I can't actually believe I'm saying this but I might have to start another character just so I can go back and fill in all the content gaps I missed the first time round. And I mean for the Horde, let's not even get started on the Alliance quests. What the fuck is going on here? I didn't even have the fucking game installed a few days ago.  

IN OTHER NEWS 

• I'm about to hit my first prestige in BLOPS. This is slightly depressing as I have only just got my hands on the Commando, the first gun I have found that actually matches my playing style. Sure, I can punk you with my AK74U, but where's the fun in that? 
    • I'm broke as fuck. Thanks for that, Valve.   
    • The Walking Dead continues to entertain and frustrate in equal measure. The acting is fine, the zombies look great - but every deviation from the graphic novels slashes at my very soul.

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I have that familiar pit of guilt at the bottom of my stomach.

It's the cavernous, hollow sense of despair caused by my own lack of self control. 

I have a lot of work to do. So damn much. And yet I continue developing contemptible ideas which drive me further and further from my alleged goals, almost as though I am catering directly to my own procrastination. Only the other night End_Boss and I began a multiplayer game of Civilization V, complete with the largest map size (the planet earth, for fucks sake) the maximum amount of city states and enemy AI and a modest difficulty setting. The game speed was set to standard. 6 hours in and we realised we had made a terrible, terrible mistake. Not only can you not change or alter the game settings once you have begun, you also cannot save your progress. One that ball starts rolling it rolls until the very end. Only in retrospect can I fully comprehend the awesome stupidity that was attempted that night. Who does something like that? This dumb fuck, apparently.  

Having said that, we did have an awesome game. We both picked random characters. I got Siam and, due to their unique building being a Wat which gives a decent cultural bonus, I decided to go the culture route. This meant a small amount of cities but with huge populations. I was pretty lucky to land on the top right chunk of Asia so I wasn't surrounded by aggressive opponents and was mostly left to myself to expand as I saw fit. I built only two cities and let them expand at a fairly steady rate. After I while my economy was so stable I was in an almost constant series of Gold Ages and I simply had to keep producing more buildings. I didn't even have much of an army, just some footsoldiers and a few war Elephants to keep the barbarians off my shit. Cultural victory is pretty tough, but my population was huge despite having only two cities, so my production was super intense and I was never short of food or money. I was throwing up Wonders in about 4 or 5 turns, meaning I had a ridiculous amount of culture boost. End_boss wasn't so lucky. Having to fend off a large parade of barbarian attention early in the game, I think he spent the majority of the match recovering until, at 4am, we decided enough was enough. I'm assuming I won, as I was ridiculously far ahead points-wise.

The enthusiasm to which I dismiss my education can be largely credited to World Of Warcraft.

In my last blog I spoke about how the changes introduced by the Cattackalysm have greatly enhanced the gameplay and general leveling of the game, but what's truly boggling is how consistent this feeling is. There literally isn't enough time to see everything anymore. We are now at a state where an instance can give you a full bar of XP on a normal run, and each zone will carry you 4 or 5 levels. As a result I have found myself skipping entire zones purely to prevent the mobs from becoming mindlessly trivial. I'm going up levels so fast there are little kids in Chinese sweatshops paying me to leveltheir characters.
    Battlegrounds also give XP, which is equally great and frustrating. I can now hop into Warsong Gulch, do a few matches, hop out again - and find myself to have leveled beyond the current strand of quests, missing out on a load of the new content. I only got to do Wailing Caverns once. What's important here is the tone. "I only got to do Wailing Caverns once". As though that's a bad thing. 

No Caption Provided

I can't actually believe I'm saying this but I might have to start another character just so I can go back and fill in all the content gaps I missed the first time round. And I mean for the Horde, let's not even get started on the Alliance quests. What the fuck is going on here? I didn't even have the fucking game installed a few days ago.  

IN OTHER NEWS 

• I'm about to hit my first prestige in BLOPS. This is slightly depressing as I have only just got my hands on the Commando, the first gun I have found that actually matches my playing style. Sure, I can punk you with my AK74U, but where's the fun in that? 
    • I'm broke as fuck. Thanks for that, Valve.   
    • The Walking Dead continues to entertain and frustrate in equal measure. The acting is fine, the zombies look great - but every deviation from the graphic novels slashes at my very soul.

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

When the movie on your life is released, it should most definitely be titled Sweep: The Dumb Fuck. ;P

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Sweep said:
    "
    "
    Being from sunderland, this made me laugh a lot.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Abyssfull: Who plays me in this movie? Please god let it be Morgan Freeman.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Oni

I am with you on that constant feeling of amazement. Going through Azshara, once a level 40-50 wasteland devoid of anything meaningful, and seeing it transformed into a level 10-20 zone with awesome quests, one of the coolest cities in the game (Bilgewater Harbor) and tons of awesome stuff is just amazing. The retooled instances, Deadmines particularly, make them feel fresh all over again. I am truly in awe of what Blizzard has done, and that is essentially just the free stuff - can't wait to see what Cataclysm has in store for levels 80 and up.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Oni said:
    " I am with you on that constant feeling of amazement. Going through Azshara, once a level 40-50 wasteland devoid of anything meaningful, and seeing it transformed into a level 10-20 zone with awesome quests, one of the coolest cities in the game (Bilgewater Harbor) and tons of awesome stuff is just amazing. The retooled instances, Deadmines particularly, make them feel fresh all over again. I am truly in awe of what Blizzard has done, and that is essentially just the free stuff - can't wait to see what Cataclysm has in store for levels 80 and up. "
    Fuck, I didn't get to see Azshara OR the Deadmines. I went Durotar - Barrens. See, this is exactly what i'm talking about. Now I want to go back and see all that stuff >:(
    DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By DaemonicGrim

stop posting about WoW. It's hurting me and I don't even have to money to get back in if I allowed myself to slip! 

Also: multiplayer on a massive map? you were thinking what?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cincaid

I'm fighting a losing war. I know I shouldn't pick up WoW again, I know I'll sink way too many hours into raiding if I do, yet I find myself constantly fighting my own mind over it. Nggggghhh.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Red12b
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @Sweep said:
    "
    "
    , this made me laugh a lot. "
    As did I 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Scooper
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @Sweep said:
    "
    "
     this made me laugh a lot. "
    I lmao reading that too.
    Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Ferginator4k

Awesome post. I was contemplating trying some Civ V multiplayer, but i might pass on that now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.