Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

TimeSplitters

Franchise »

A sci-fi/comedy franchise of first-person shooters developed by the now defunct Free Radical Design. Its current status is undetermined.

Crytek Working on TimeSplitters 4...For Next-Gen Consoles?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cincaid

Full story.

Apparently Crytek is working on TimeSplitters 4, and now the company is saying that Microsoft will reveal their next console within the next 12 months with a possible reveal at E3 2012.

Crytek is investing development in both next-generation incarnations of the Xbox and PlayStation, according to a "high-ranking industry source at Crytek", with TimeSplitters 4 currently being demonstrated internally and being built using the CryEngine 3. Apparently, the game was also being showcased privately at E3 2011 in video form.

Specifications for the new machine have not been finalised, but Crytek is using Microsoft's DirectX 11 as the current basis for next-generation development. Tessellation, multithreaded rendering, and compute shaders are the three headlining features for DirectX 11.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By McBEEF

AWWWEEEESOOOOMEEEE

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

Ooooooo

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They might be thinking ahead for the future and developing it with next gen consoles in mind, but they'll be developing it for high end PC with the vision to port it over to the PS4/next gen xbox when they get dev kits. There is no way they are actually developing it for those consoles right now, because there is no way they have dev kits for those consoles yet.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Meowshi

If this is true (which seems unlikely) that's awesome! 

I certainly won't be buying a new console for a few years or so, but I'm excited anyway.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By sameeeeam

This is the best news I've heard all month.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ChickenPants

Fantastic news, I thought TS 4 was dead!

Timesplitters 2 and 3 are my favourite FPS games of all time.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cincaid

Specifications for the new machine have not been finalised, but Crytek is using Microsoft's DirectX 11 as the current basis for next-generation development. Tessellation, multithreaded rendering, and compute shaders are the three headlining features for DirectX 11.

Certainly sounds cool, if true, but one can wonder how relevant DX11 will be when the next-gen consoles are released (2013 at the earliest I would imagine).

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Best news I've heard in a long time! Really wish it wasn't for the next-gen consoles, because there are few games I want more than a TS4, but knowing that this game does indeed exist is good enough for now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.