Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titan (working title)

Game » consists of 0 releases.

An MMORPG that Blizzard Entertainment began developing in 2007, unrelated to their existing franchises. After seven years of development, the project has been canceled and its PVP component spun-off into the game Overwatch.

Should Titan have no monthly fee?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

For whatever reason this can't be made into a poll in a game-specific forum. I vote yes. I'm not into paying every month to play the same game. Pay for it once, and that's that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I think they may be able to get away with it due to the pedigree of WoW. I hope there is now though, well of course I would, right. Not like anyone wants to pay more for something.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By kindgineer

For the life of me I cannot think of why they shouldn't. I see nothing wrong with the system other than people who are use to this generations "Free-to-play" or those that don't really get the whole system. No one can say where Blizzard will go, they are Titans when it comes to playing the field correctly. If Free-to-play is the way to go, you bet your bottom dollar Blizzard will follow it. If the waters for "Pay-per-month" are still pretty warm, they would be stupid not to.

We'll see.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I won't be playing it if there is a monthly fee unless it is just absurdly amazing.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Barrock

I think it depends on what sort of game it is. If it's another cookie cutter MMO (which it can't and won't be) then no. But if they shake the foundation of the genre then they might be able to get away with it.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mrpandaman

I don't think you can ask that question yet as Titan has yet to be revealed. When people know more about Titan, ask again later.

That being said, an MMO with a subscription model today, everyone knows that that model doesn't work as well anymore. As said, Blizzard maybe able to get away with it with their pedigree. It really all depends on what Titan is and what it's setting out to do and if it does that. It needs to warrant the subscription model otherwise they would probably launch with a Guild Wars model where you would pay for the game once. It might have a RMAH, an optional subscription system, and other stuff.

We don't know yet. Have to wait until they reveal.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Willza92

I've been saying it to my friends for years, if TITAN is another MMO that has the scale and ambition of WoW, then they would be insane to not charge a monthly fee BUT to combine it with the WoW subscription. So basically getting a WoW subscription would get you access to TITAN and vica versa. That way they can start the tranfusion of WoW players over to there new MMO while suckering all of us old WoW players back with a shiny new game and all that new WoW content we haven't played with the illusion of a two for one offer.

Sorry for my grammar, I'm listening to the Max Payne theme on repeat and drinking alcomahhol, which I don't ever do. It's been a tough day.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By gaminghooligan

the WoW factor might warrant a monthly fee for a bit, but I think old republic is an example of how the mmo market could be headed into a free to play era.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By gaminghooligan

@Willza92 said:

Sorry for my grammar, I'm listening to the Max Payne theme on repeat and drinking alcomahhol, which I don't ever do. It's been a tough day.

you should try the song from the last level of 3 if you haven't it's pretty great

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Cincaid

@Willza92 said:

I've been saying it to my friends for years, if TITAN is another MMO that has the scale and ambition of WoW, then they would be insane to not charge a monthly fee BUT to combine it with the WoW subscription. So basically getting a WoW subscription would get you access to TITAN and vica versa. That way they can start the tranfusion of WoW players over to there new MMO while suckering all of us old WoW players back with a shiny new game and all that new WoW content we haven't played with the illusion of a two for one offer.

Not a bad idea, but I doubt it'll happen. Blizzard have stated that Titan won't draw subscribers from WoW (of course they say that), but look at it from Blizzard's perspective: two MMOs for a single monthly fee, or two MMOs for two monthly fees.

At this point I'd be extremely surprised if Titan won't have a monthly fee, considering how well it worked for them with WoW. Will lightning strike twice for them? No one knows, especially when they offer so little information on the product. It's a real shame there's no Blizzcon this year, since I doubt we'll get any substantial information until Blizzcon 2013 (if even then). Cataclysm wasn't as popular as their earlier expansions, and if Mists of Pandaria won't rock the world I hope they'll start giving us more information on Titan instead. I dropped WoW shortly before the end of Wrath of the Lich King, but Titan is a very exciting project for me, even if it will have a monthly subscription.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By buft

As much as i would love no monthly fee I cant help but remember all the bad experiences i have had with F2P mmos, my most common complaint is that they always feel gimped even when you pay bits here and there , the one time i spend all my time on a f2p game and got to the end game content i ended up spending more on items required for raiding than i do on my monthly wow sub

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

I don't expect Titan to have a monthly fee.

As far as making money goes, Blizzard has been reaching out for advertisers within the game (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/BLizzard-Titan-MMOG-Next-Gen-PC-Gaming,14535.html)

So I'd suspect Blizzard's goal is going to be: Create a super popular game with low entry barrier (not only gameplay but also cost-wise) and gain a huge playerbase that'll make advertising within the game highly desired.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Willza92

@gaminghooligan said:

@Willza92 said:

you should try the song from the last level of 3 if you haven't it's pretty great

The song was like a distant stain in the back of my memory. A scar left by the constant scratching as it played endlessly on "Max Payne 3" adverts across the web. I take another swig of the juice that rots me from the inside and then find it. was right, the song was pretty great.

@Cincaid said:

@Willza92 said:

Not a bad idea, but I doubt it'll happen. Blizzard have stated that Titan won't draw subscribers from WoW (of course they say that), but look at it from Blizzard's perspective: two MMOs for a single monthly fee, or two MMOs for two monthly fees.

At this point I'd be extremely surprised if Titan won't have a monthly fee, considering how well it worked for them with WoW. Will lightning strike twice for them? No one knows, especially when they offer so little information on the product. It's a real shame there's no Blizzcon this year, since I doubt we'll get any substantial information until Blizzcon 2013 (if even then). Cataclysm wasn't as popular as their earlier expansions, and if Mists of Pandaria won't rock the world I hope they'll start giving us more information on Titan instead. I dropped WoW shortly before the end of Wrath of the Lich King, but Titan is a very exciting project for me, even if it will have a monthly subscription.

I think you're right. So many different factors and variables. The entire MMO climate could have changed (like it is at the moment) and, like you said, we have no idea what TITAN is. However, if it were released today and it was a competitor with WoW (which it has to be, right? I mean, WoW holds a large share of the MMO market and TITAN is an MMO) then they would have to ask themselves how many people would pay for both subscriptions and whether they want to sacrafice one MMO for another. I mean, doesn't "9 million people sub'd to TITAN and WoW" sound so much better than "TITAN on x million subs, WoW subs fall to lowest ever!"?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By imsh_pl

Just a quick note: if you want to create a poll in a sepcific forum, click on the 'Forums' tab, then 'Start New Topic' and then 'Create a Poll Instead'. You then have to click on 'Attach to a specific page instead' and type in the name of the game/page you want the poll to be connected to.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aegon

@imsh_pl said:

Just a quick note: if you want to create a poll in a sepcific forum, click on the 'Forums' tab, then 'Start New Topic' and then 'Create a Poll Instead'. You then have to click on 'Attach to a specific page instead' and type in the name of the game/page you want the poll to be connected to.

Nope, it doesn't give the option to "create a poll instead" unless you attach it to the general forums.

Oh wait, you mean start off from the main forum page...ok.

That's some weird loophole shit.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmilingPig

Depends on what it turns out to be.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

I think Blizzard would be crazy not to.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus

You've GOT to wait until we see what this game is before deciding this shit. If it's a full-fledged MMO with regular expansion packs, with a new unique gamplay system and a wealth of story and content, then I've got NO problem paying a monthly fee. 

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Ofcourse it will it's Blizzard and alot of people will jump ship from WOW for this and they have been paying a montly fee for 8 years with no problem.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By 71Ranchero

How do I know, they haven't even said what the game is about yet.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hughesman

Honestly, I would rather pay a monthly fee for a game that has radically different systems then the current MMO standards then have yet another free to play mmo.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Sooty

The success of Guild Wars 2 will probably further bury the idea of future MMOs having monthly fees.

I do think Titan will have a box cost however.

@hughesman said:

Honestly, I would rather pay a monthly fee for a game that has radically different systems then the current MMO standards then have yet another free to play mmo.

Well it does depend how the model is handled, pay for the box but no sub seems good on GW2, the store they have is fair and no paying for power.

LoL also does total free to play very fairly.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Subjugation

A subscription fee is the surest way to make sure I don't play it. I'm done with that model and I still have the bitter taste of Diablo III in my mouth. Blizzard is on probation for me.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmilingPig

I bet that it’s going to be an evolution of StarCraft ghost.

No Caption Provided
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ares42

I think this whole notion of subscription MMOs being out of date or whatever is extrapolating the completely wrong conclusion from empirical evidence. While there certainly has been a lot of MMOs that have tried to go subscription but only found success once going free to play, I believe it comes down to quality rather than price. If the games were good people would pay. Make a game that's actually good and that justifies a subscription and there's nothing wrong with the business model. I mean, the last few years we've seen top FPSs actually introduce this model.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It will very very very likely be F2P. Cash will come from RMAH, cash shop with mounts and stuff (those things sold a ridiculous amount), xp boosts etc, vanity items of all sorts.

I'd pay a sub for a new Blizzard MMO regardless, but seriously, they will make mega ultra super duper Apple bucks if it's F2P, so of course they will.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By jakob187

Monthly fee or not, the question should actually be "can Blizzard get me to purchase another one of their games?". After not caring for the post-launch decisions on Diablo 3, only playing StarCraft II for about a month or two before getting tired of it (mainly because I just can't be competitive enough for it), and only getting me to stick around for about two weeks of Cataclysm, I just don't think Blizzard gets me excited about stuff anymore.

If I was stoked about the game, they would HAVE to do it as a free-to-play.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By phrali

wait they are selling advertising IN THE GAME? Yeah people are going to love that

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Considering nothing is known about Titan officially, this is a stupid question. However...

Blizzard Franchise Spoiler:

It's a StarCraft MMO; the leaked Heart of the Swarm ending pretty much confirms it. And yes it should have a monthly fee to keep the kids out.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Bollard
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Seppli

Last I heard, it's built from the ground up for the free 2 play business model - albeit looking at D3's endgame malaise, that can only be a bad thing - that thing's just skewed to promote the RMAH.

A hybrid modell isn't all that bad though, hoping ANet and Guild Wars 2 will treat me right. It's definitely the way to go for Triple A MMORPGs. Shit would have worked for SW:TOR too.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Funkydupe

I've read that the game is set in a post-apoc sci-fi environment and you know that alone triggers my 'automatically interested' switch.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Harkat

I'd prefer it not to, but if it's on the scale of WoW, they be justified in having one.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#34  Edited By Lazyaza

MMOs cost a lot of money to make, maintain and manage. Monthly fees are hardly unreasonable. Besides without one it just means all the cool stuff will be done through micro transactions and personally I'd rather have the former than the latter.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Funkydupe

Over 100 people reported to be working on this project now. They're still claiming that it'll be something fundamentally different from the World of Warcraft experience. That doesn't just mean a new setting to me. We're talking game mechanics. Makes me wonder if they're going to to start messing with Character skills like the recent Darkfall game or something else entirely. Will it mess around with player stories? A huge budget doesn't guarantee a good game though, sadly, confirmed by The Old Republic. Man. I was really looking forward to TOR. I will probably return to it actually, once its gone free to play up to level 50. I'll play it like a singleplayer game just to experience a Star Wars story or two.

It is pretty cool that they've managed to keep "Titan" under wraps so far.

A thing to remember is that WoW was, at least in the beginning a refined experience which took inspiration from games around it. It took well-established elements of gameplay in the genre and made it a more polished and enjoyable experience. If they're supposed to make something different this time, they won't have the trial & error of others to navigate by and that leaves fewer safety nets from the chasm of fail.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Lazyaza said:

MMOs cost a lot of money to make, maintain and manage. Monthly fees are hardly unreasonable. Besides without one it just means all the cool stuff will be done through micro transactions and personally I'd rather have the former than the latter.

Everyone claiming this seems to be ignoring Guild Wars 2, which isn't F2P, but also doesn't charge a subscription. It seems like the most obvious route for more MMO's to go and I'm pretty surprised no one has copied it yet.

It's probably because it doesn't make the same kind of money as a popular subscription based game will, but it has the advantage of not turning people who are unwilling to pay monthly away, and at the same time not forcing constant microtransactions just to keep the business afloat.

@GunslingerPanda said:

Considering nothing is known about Titan officially, this is a stupid question. However...

It's a StarCraft MMO; the leaked Heart of the Swarm ending pretty much confirms it. And yes it should have a monthly fee to keep the kids out.

WoW has one of the least mature communities you'll ever find, even for an online game.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By Hector

I think it's going to be free to play and World of Warcraft will eventually become Free to Play with the release of Titan. Reason being so that there people don't abandon one MMO for the other.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By Mnemoidian

Speculating about an unannounced game from a developer infamous for taking their time with development and scrapping games that doesn't live up to their expectations seems... silly?

That said,

@GunslingerPanda said:

They have mentioned at several times that Titan is a new IP. Most of said statements have been on their forums (which have since been purged), so... allow me to quote the Earnings call for Q2 2010, where Bobby Kotick said:

We've talked a lot about the seven different pillars of success that we expect over the course of the next few years. And remember, we have two enormous investments: one in Bungie and the other in another project at Blizzard that we haven't given a lot of visibility to. Those are going to be entirely new intellectual properties.

Maybe it's become something else, that we don't know - they really haven't talked about Titan for years at this point.

There has also been speculations that Titan will not compete with exisiting Blizzard products, mentioning things like MMOFPS and other such wild ideas. Who knows? We're unlikely to find out this years, as we aren't getting a BlizzCon, which is the natural place for them to announce such a product. Also, keep in mind that Rob Pardo stated at BlizzCon last year that the game was entering "full production soon".

@WinterSnowblind: That is assuming that Guild Wars 2 has more impact on the rest of the industry than Guild Wars 1 did. Maybe it will? Also depends a lot on what Titan actually is.

Speculation on my part: next year's BlizzCon, or the one after that, is going to be very interesting. (if there is one, and why wouldn't there be?)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.