Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 28, 2016

The sequel to Respawn's sci-fi mech-filled first-person shooter, Titanfall 2 adds a deep single-player campaign and revamped multiplayer.

Well, I wanted to like the campaign

Bakaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

But after the Viper fight, when I FINALLY slogged my way through it, I'd lost any sense of the drama, and just wanted the campaign to be over. Which is was, fairly shortly after that, and much easier.

But that Viper fight... Yeah. 30 deaths pretty much makes you not care about the plot anymore, not care about fighting well, you just want to see it done.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Blackout62

You know the campaign ends like 30 minutes after the Viper fight?

But man! The sequence before the Viper fight, when you and those other pilots take over that ship together. That is rad! I get it's the most Call of Duty moment of the campaign but they nailed it and that level didn't need to just be longer, it needed its own campaign of Republic Commando style you and these special forces dudes you like coming down like a tsunami with skill and panache

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had no problem whatsoever but hey ho.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

How? I mean... did you play it on the hardest difficulty? I don't know how hard the game is on that one, but I beat it on Hard myself, and died two times on that fight. The first time because I was stubborn and really wanted to land my ultimate (rocket barrage thingy), which meant I didn't get into cover fast enough from Vipers attack. The second time I dodged off the damn ship.
    Did you try out different strategies? Did you use cover? Different loadouts for BT? I'm just really curious how you played this fight for it to reach 30 deaths.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

To be fair while I think the campaign is pretty good, I also did not enjoy that Viper fight all that much. Game also crashed right after the pivotal cutscenes after that fight and watching the whole thing twice really reduced the effect it was meant to have. Not that Titanfall 2 is some deep story, but still.

It's a good campaign but I think people hype it up a little too much. Between the fun set pieces there are a dozen or so rather bland shooting galleries in uninspired locations against very generic looking AI. The grandiose effect of the Titans is also reduced when you run into 3 Tones every 20 minutes or so and dispatch them with ease.

All that said it's still really fun, just not as genre defining as some people make it out to be - although I've heard the same arguments levied against Doom so hey different strokes and all that.

Bakaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well, mostly, its not (just) that Viper was difficult, just what happened with it, and what surrounded it.

(Yes, BTW, I did power through the next 30 minutes to finish the game, with no problem (it was remarkable how much easier the Sloan fight was), its just that at that point I just wanted it over)

I died a few times in the rest of the game, but I could always tell right away what stupid move I made and what I should try to do to avoid it, but in that fight, I died a couple of minutes in the beginning after taking out one of the Scorches, so the respawn put me in a place with no cover, the other (full health) Scorch walking down behind me, and Viper above me (at slightly less than 50% health), about ready to unleash the spread shot bombardment. It took about 30 tries with various quick swapouts to get past that point. Maybe if I'd been "smart" I would have just restarted the chapter, but I always hate doing that. What worked for that moment eventually was diving out as Ronin, blocking the barrage with the sword, and then using its slash on the Scorch, then switching to Expedition and plinking down Viper by diving from cover to cover (in "battery required" state pretty much the whole time)... But like I said, by that point, the slamming of my head on a single boss had made me stop caring about the game. All the "moments" after that with BT are pretty much a non-event for me, and when the credits rolled, its was more like "OK, fine, that's done" than "Yay, we won." I definitely don't have any real affection for BT as a character after all that. I presume the stuff that came after that was what was supposed to create that, but yeah.

I guess while I'm probably complaining about the difficulty (git gud), I'm mostly complaining about the inconsistent difficulty.

Or maybe I'm just complaining about the respawn, which would be ironic.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By huntad

Hmm, I did not have a problem with that one. I thought the boss fights were pretty lame, but the campaign makes up for it with terrific setpieces. I think the game is okay up until you finish fighting the first boss, and then it stays really good throughout. It's pretty good!

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a plot?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By BladeOfCreation

The Viper fight was by far the worst part of the game. I had a similar reaction as the OP, though perhaps not as severe. I died multiple times, the cover I tried hiding behind wasn't very effective, I tried multiple Titan loadouts. Every other boss fight up to that point had been challenging and tense, but this was just obnoxious and not fun at all.

I absolutely loved the campaign up to, and even after, the Viper fight. But it put a damper on what had been a great pace to the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

I don't wanna be that kind of guy, but... I don't remember anything in the game being particularly tough. Were you playing on the hardest difficulty? Have you ever played a first person shooter before?

I went into Titanfall 2's campaign expecting a "rollercoaster ride" sort of game and that's exactly what I got and I thought it was pretty damn good.

EDIT: OK, nevermind, you ran into a really shitty checkpoint. Games should make a habit of saving the last two or three checkpoints so people don't run into this problem. I once got a checkpoint in Halo 3 right in the middle of a Wraith's mortar blast. That sucked.

The gameplay parts that take place in a Titan aren't as fun as when you're on foot, I kinda wish the game had at some point made me take out a Titan without using BT. Still, everything seems pretty well-paced, except the Viper fight which looks awesome but isn't as well-designed as the rest of the game.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By IcyEyes

@jaqen_hghar: Same experience for me - played on hard and died twice during the Viper battle. Only time the game felt a little frustrating due to the very constrained combat area. It was actually the most challenging boss fight in the whole game for me, but that's not saying a lot. All the other boss battles were surprisingly, almost disappointingly easy for me. I think the grunts might have been more of a challenge and danger overall.

@bakaneko: You didn't say what difficulty you played it on, but it sounds like that checkpoint really ruined it for you. I do however agree that the difficultly there seems to spike and it caught me completely off guard and felt inconsistent with the rest of the game. Heck, that very last battle was a cakewalk for me.

I also completely agree that people are over hyping the campaign way too much. Don't get me wrong, It was really enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it's the best campaign since Half Life 2 or anything.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting, I had no problems with that fight on Hard but the final boss messed me up a bit, took few tries.

Really looks like you got a bad checkpoint there, pity!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think i died to Viper twice, after it dawned on me that i could actually just change the titan i was in. Which made the fight a lot easier.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Subjugation

Viper accounted for perhaps one of my only deaths in the entire campaign. I played on the hardest difficulty. The campaign in general just really didn't present much of a challenge for me personally to be honest. Thirty deaths seems a tad much. What I'm saying is your experience seems atypical.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By OldManLight

@bakaneko: just wondering what difficulty you played this on? I started on the regular difficulty and felt like the whole campaign was a well paced and fun. Then i went back for a second playthrough on a higher difficulty and it is a slog right from the first encounters. but yeah, you're literally walking away from the finish line if you quit after the viper fight and the last level is a really fun one.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kcin

To be fair to the OP, I had a ton of trouble with the Viper fight (played on Hard). I tried the fire mech, the sniper mech, the missile mech, the sword mech. None seemed to make a meaningful dent, and I died repeatedly.

Then I tried Tone. He died in fucking 30 seconds.

No wonder people like Tone so much. That mech is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than the others.

@icyeyes said:

completely agree that people are over hyping the campaign way too much. Don't get me wrong, It was really enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it's the best campaign since Half Life 2 or anything.

It's funny that you mention Half-Life 2. I actually loved the campaign specifically because it reminds me so much of Half-Life. You're a loner, navigating through wild secret tech areas, some of which are overridden with alien wildlife, periodically getting caught where you don't belong, escaping using weird shit about/in the environment, interspersed with outdoor cliff traversal. It even has you diving into an exploding reactor. It seems like a willful homage to Half-Life, frankly, and I love it for that.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's the best FPS campaign of this generation so far by a mile. That is partly due to FPS games focusing more on multiplayer (BF1, Halo 5) or not even having a campaign (Overwatch). I didn't think the Viper fight was tough and I played it on hard. It's the only one where you can't rely on your core to finish off the boss though. I beat it awhile ago so I don't remember what type of Titan I used.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@deathstriker: This game and Doom have fantastic campaigns. They both are incredibly unique. It's part of what makes them special.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.