Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Is it me or does Titanfall look exactly like COD?

• 52 results
    scaramoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've watched that leaked footage, I don't get what is so amazing about the game, the press are going mad for it but none of my friends are...

Everything about the gameplay just looks 100% COD, I just don't see the appeal in that any more, it was boring 5 years ago when it got old and it's boring now. Sure they have Jetpacks and Mechs, but those things have been in loads of FPS games and were never a major selling point, I mean BF 2142 did that in like 2006 or whenever it was. Tribes did it, I'm sure Unreal Tournament has at some point and there is that online F2P Mech game too...

I just don't get it and I don't get how they've managed to make Source look like that Glorified Quake 3 engine than COD runs on.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

But but mechs...

I think it looks good but I still enjoy Call of Duty, so there is that.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Everything about the gameplay just looks 100% COD, I just don't see the appeal in that any more, it was boring 5 years ago when it got old and it's boring now.

"I don't see the appeal, so everyone who does is wrong." And now you want people to try and convince you otherwise?

If you don't think a game looks good, just don't pay it attention.

jamster003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, it's just you. Nobody else in the entire world with that exact opinion.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There definitely is lots of COD in this game i mean these dudes made COD. It basically adds and builds upon a what is rather a solid foundation, so yes it looks like COD with mechs. But plays way better and tons of fun.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Considering it's made by the guys what brought you COD4, why are you surprised it's like COD?
    And having played it I can confirm you pull left trigger and then right trigger, but otherwise it feels much more fresh.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Sure, it looks similar to Cod, but it looks like it's trying to mix up the formula. I'm not going to to immediately call foul and cynically dismiss it. I want to give it a chance, because you know what? It looks fun.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Already a thread going discussing the alpha footage, including a lot of people bringing up the notion that it resembles Call of Duty.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@joshwent said:

@scaramoosh said:

Everything about the gameplay just looks 100% COD, I just don't see the appeal in that any more, it was boring 5 years ago when it got old and it's boring now.

"I don't see the appeal, so everyone who does is wrong." And now you want people to try and convince you otherwise?

If you don't think a game looks good, just don't pay it attention.

Hey, he clearly said none of his friends do either. Now I'm no statistician, but that sounds like a totally legit sample pool to me

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It looks like a game with mechs and jetpacks made by the people who gave us CoD for sure. I think it looks like it'll be some pretty fucking awesome fun, and I've barely played much CoD multi (maybe that's why I'm not like "Oh it has a CoD influence, booooring").

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No. You are not... Based on several forums in Internet, there are some people that saw the connection too.

They are wrong, though, but you are not alone.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its like CoD Black ops 2 with mech's and less players but bots is a thing from the past coming back.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Exactly? Maybe not, but it does look similar. Of course considering that it's Respawn. But that's in term of graphics / visual style.

However, since most of us still have not have our hands on the gameplay yet, it's hard to say whether the game will be boring. If it's alpha, then it's indicative of how the end product will probably look like. Thus, your best bet is to wait and see, rather than to rush and pre-order the game. Plus I heard it's multiplayer only, so I guess the fun factor is also determined by who you are playing with.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Mister_V

Yes it does look a lot like COD, but I remember looking at pre release footage of modern warfare before playing it and not being impressed because it just looked like COD 2 in a modern setting. It wasn't until I got my hands in the unlock system and killstreak rewards that the game clicked for me.

The fact that I am excited for Titanfall JUST from this footage (even if at the start it looks very COD like) without knowin about how the progression/unlocks work says a lot.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Yeah, it does have its similarities because the creators of Call of Duty are the same for Respawn and Titanfall. Having played the game myself, I can guarantee you that this is an entirely different beast. The movement capabilities are unparalleled amongst FPS'. Six versus Six mech battles are absolutely nuts when you first experience them and the best part? It has Call of Duty swiftness to the controls but you don't perish in a single shot.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There are similarities, but 100% CoD? Definitely not. Yes, other games have done mechs and jetpacks before, but you're talking about it as if every game that does those things does them identically and that the way they factor into the other game mechanics is always going to be exactly the same, neither of which is remotely true.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

left trigger

right trigger

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I remember flying around on jetpacks and getting killed by a huge robot in CoD those were the days bro.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it me or does every FPS look alike? there's always a gun near the center of the screen and its always shooting other characters. I just cant quite figure this out.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah footage I saw a long time ago I didn't connect the dots as specifically, but from what i've seen recently it looks a bit too Call of Duty for me, and I never was one of the "OMG TITANFALL BEST GAME EVER" hype train in the first place, but I thought I might enjoy it. Not very hot on it anymore at all, which until/unless E3 announces so amazing exclusives, makes the future of the Xbone to me fairly up in the air. No single game I'm anticipating on that platform that I can say.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Wow that's videogameracist. You just think every shooter game looks the same huh?

These fucking racists.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By development

It isn't for you or me. It's enough of a change to get their core audience interested again in something "new" while not venturing too far outside the bounds of what has proven to sell extraordinarily well. It will even draw in a new crowd who previously had no interest in simple "military" shooters, but are now turned onto it by the "sci-fi" elements.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By spraynardtatum

I'm just saying that if they called this COD: Titanfall I wouldn't blink an eye. It looks very much like COD but it looks like if COD progressed and became something better instead of sitting on its laurels.

The most differentiating thing to me is the ai creep.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By ch3burashka

...what?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks very similar too. I'm not a fan of CoD at all but this game also has badass mechs. They can stop bullets with magnet power. Also you get ejected out of the mech which makes for some dynamic combat and opens up options. You can land on an enemy mech and blast the shit out of their generator. Also it has jetpacks and parkour which makes movement more interesting.

Basically mechs are the best.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SHUT UP! ITS GOT ROBOTS!!! GO BACK TO GONE HOME, NOOB!!!

But, yeah, it's definitely showing the CoD lineage. I'll still give it a go though, since it looks fun as hell.

scaramoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But the mechs seems to make up very little of the game, the jetpacks are just another way of getting around and the actual gameplay 90% of the time is just COD. Just bores me to tears already, the guns have no weight or recoil to them, just like COD pea laser pea shooters.

I was expecting something new and innovative like all the sites claim, it just isn't...

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been ignoring it for that same exact reason.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#30  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

There's something about the color palette and the way they do lightning that looks very much like MW2, yeah. Pretty low contrast/flat lightning, with oddly exaggerated highlights that kinda gives everything a plastic look.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched that leaked footage, I don't get what is so amazing about the game, the press are going mad for it but none of my friends are...

Everything about the gameplay just looks 100% COD, I just don't see the appeal in that any more, it was boring 5 years ago when it got old and it's boring now. Sure they have Jetpacks and Mechs, but those things have been in loads of FPS games and were never a major selling point, I mean BF 2142 did that in like 2006 or whenever it was. Tribes did it, I'm sure Unreal Tournament has at some point and there is that online F2P Mech game too...

I just don't get it and I don't get how they've managed to make Source look like that Glorified Quake 3 engine than COD runs on.

You might not like that style of gameplay anymore (I'm not sure I do either) but it still resonates with many, many, MANY, people. Titanfall really looks like the evolved form of COD 4 and I bet a bunch of people will be into that.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I can see some similarity in the snappy feel of the guns and the graphics, but I just don't see how the gameplay will be very comparable with all the stuff being added in terms of traversal and of course the mechs, not to mention a sense of a campaign as you're playing... it's a ton of new stuff on that familiar foundation.

TopLeftCenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's definitely a clear lineage at work since it's being made by a lot of the same people who made the Call of Duty name what it is. That said the game is also clearly pushing at the kind of boundaries that CoD sequels have been shying away from, so I'm not worried about Titanfall being another victim of stagnation. Titans seem to be an interesting evolution of the concept of killstreaks, the map design seems at a glance to have abandoned the tired three lane format and the push to mix narrative into multiplayer structure could be a big step for that type of game. If Titanfall falls flat I have a feeling it will have more to do with being too different from Call of Duty than from being too similar.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I mean, that's all most of these people ever worked on (outside of the work on Medal of Honor) so outside of the addition of mechs I assume it will feel a hell of a lot like Call of Duty. I will probably play this on PC but I am not super excited to play it or anything. In terms of multiplayer I don't see why I wouldn't still be playing BF4 at this point and single player will be covered by infamous and dark souls 2.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm. The guys who gave us the original COD4 Modern Warfare. I don't know... I just don't see it...

All sarcasm aside, if there's one thing I've always wanted, is that there was a true successor to Modern Warfare not a sequel and this seems like it's what the shooter genre needs.

Have you played a recent COD? That is the game that people bitch about this. This actually feels like a breath of fresh air!!

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Baillie

The gameplay looks pretty much the same. If black ops 3 ended up with mechs as the the new kill streaks along with faster movements, small flight with jet packs and wall running traversal, I don't think there would be much difference at all.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played CoD in a long time but I don't remember double jumping and wall running. Maybe that's why I sucked at the game

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I always imagined Titanfall was for people who are bored/getting bored of CoD and want something just a little different.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By stackboy

Looks like it has a UT vibe to me. Plus, ROBOTS

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Budwyzer

AN FPS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER FPS!?!?! NO WAI BRO!

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It did look like it played a lot like COD when I watched the videos. Really killed my hype.

Haven't played CoD in a long time but I don't remember double jumping and wall running. Maybe that's why I sucked at the game

I think OP is talking about the main mechanic in an FPS, you know, shooting.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toowalrus

It looks... similar, but different enough to get my interest.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah guys, this game made by former CoD developers sure does look a lot like a CoD game. Also, doesn't The Last of Us look kinda like Uncharted?

I'm not remotely interested in this game but even I find this thread really unnecessary.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that it looks like COD with mechs is probably the reason I have zero interest in it.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Andorski

A exactly CoD with mechs and jump packs. I feel like Respawn hasn't done much to hide this comparison, so I'm surprised every time someone brings it up.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By crithon

yes, but at this point it's comfort food in it's CoD designs.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IF if was 3rd person you'd be hollering, "UH! IT's SO UNIQUE! IT's gOT MECHS AND pARKOUR!!!!"

People are noticing the fact it's still a FPS and you shoot and deem it the same. People brighten up plz, it's a genre. They'll all be similar.

Look at how it feels to play and it's numerous sub-genres for distinction.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure every FPS multiplayer game now looks like COD so what is the point of even stating the obvious now? My only concern right now are the bot's AI, map sizes, and optimization on pc.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It looks a lot like a futuristic CoD with mechs. People that aren't me are going to love this, probably.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Anyone notice that New Smash Brothers looks kind of like Old Smash brothers?

See what i did there?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.