Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Major concerns about Titanfall PC

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I had 20 bucks best buy rewards so I decided to pre-order Titanfall last week. But I've got some concerns. The 6 v 6 thing is pretty disappointing to me, as someone who normally enjoys big old Battlefield matches with tons of players. Still, I'm willing to give this a chance. Just because it's something different doesn't mean it's going to be bad right? Then again, if it's 6 on 6 with AI (bots) in the mix too - well that'd suck. Slightly concerned about that, but I suppose I'll just have to wait for reviews and just might have to cancel my pre-order if they aren't good.

Another concern I have is that this is EA and given the way BF4 launched, yikes. That was bad. I love the game, but that was bad. I really wish I hadn't bought it on day one. On top of all that I hear this game won't have dedicated servers. Any others planning to get it on PC having some reservations? Or am I off base here?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@nate said:

Any others planning to get it on PC having some reservations? Or am I off base here?

I'm planning to get it on PC if it's good. I'm definitely going to wait and see before dropping money on it., though I never pre-order anything I'm not 100% sure I'm going to want to play.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By crithon

6vs6 doesn't sound like a big enough concern. I'd more concern with EA meddling with their development "You need micro transactions and pay to win models in order to sell this many units." EA is just getting worse and worse, they are not the same publisher back in 2007.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By joshwent

@nate said:

I had 20 bucks best buy rewards so I decided to pre-order Titanfall last week. But I've got some concerns.

You're doing it wrong.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By tourgen

@joshwent said:

@nate said:

I had 20 bucks best buy rewards so I decided to pre-order Titanfall last week. But I've got some concerns.

You're doing it wrong.

yep

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DonPixel

I think Titanfall is going to be good, but there is no sure way to know until its out. Said so I stopped pre-ordening anything a couple of years back and my videogame life has been better since.

At this point you might as well wait you paid it cheap anyway, and I hardly believe they are going to have the same issues as Battlefield 4, lower player count make it for a more robust online(theorically), plus this is Source engine... like if they fuck up a Source Engine Game on PC well...

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's face it. The game is made by the guys behind the CoD games. It is being published by EA. PC gamers will be lucky if the game boots.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@nate said:

Another concern I have is that this is EA and given the way BF4 launched, yikes. That was bad. I love the game, but that was bad. I really wish I hadn't bought it on day one. On top of all that I hear this game won't have dedicated servers. Any others planning to get it on PC having some reservations? Or am I off base here?

I was so looking forward to Battlefield 4 my brain fell out of my head. All I wanted was Battlefield 3.5 and instead I got a heap of shit. A BROKEN piece of shit. I traded it in for Titanfall.

The 6v6 thing is annoying, but I'll give it a chance. As for EA and online ... SimCity and Battlefiled 4 are borked, totally. But Battlefield 3 was great. Yeah, there were launch issues... but NOTHING like Battlefiled 4. Look back at EA's history of online gaming ... it's not that bad really. Even experimental online games like Burnout Paradise worked great.

DICE made a bad game. EA pushed them into it, but they have to take some of the responsibilty. I have faith thta Titanfall, after years in development will work on a technical level. Gameplay-wise is yet to be seen, but on a purely "will it connect to other people online" level it'll be fine is my best guess.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BurBan_Snake

The second they said 6v6 I said:

FuckTitanfall

Maybe when they release Titanfall 2 in a year and they up the player limit.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wont because I care not for MP only games .... now the 6 v 6 may not be a bad thing at all if the AI of the bots is good (FEAR good I might add) Also the EA publishing it , well I doubt that respawn would let themselves to be bossed around by EA like Dice did, if not , by god what fools they are D:

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm going to wait and see about the 6v6 thing before I get all uppity about it. I just hope they can get a handle on their online stability problems during their launches.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By bigjeffrey

PC version has dedicated servers and they are not EA servers. Also these dude know their shit when it comes to FPSsssss

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate: As has been said. If you have concerns, then why the bloody hell are you preordering it? Did Aliens:CM teach you nothing?

As for the 6v6 'debacle' as some people refer to it as... Not every game has to be some massive battlefield with 64-4000 players. If the game is fun with 6v6, then that's all that matters. But right now we have next to no information to make an educated decision. Unless it's a CE that you're really wanting, preordering is fucking dumb. Don't do it!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I couldn't believe it when I read that the new Killer Instinct supports only 1 vs 1? What the fuck!? This is 2014, people! At least the new Smash Bros will be a good game.

But seriously...

@kkotd said:

@nate:

As for the 6v6 'debacle' as some people refer to it as... Not every game has to be some massive battlefield with 64-4000 players. If the game is fun with 6v6, then that's all that matters. But right now we have next to no information to make an educated decision.

In addition to 6 vs 6 human players, each player will be able to access a titan that can be controlled by the AI whenever the human player isn't piloting it. There will also be a number of cannon fodder AI controlled characters on each team, but they won't have the same level of maneuverability that human players will have.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You listed some good reasons as to why I'm not preordering, you shouldn't either.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate said:

The 6 v 6 thing is pretty disappointing to me, as someone who normally enjoys big old Battlefield matches with tons of players.

If you want to play Battlefield, play Battlefield. 6v6 is a perfectly acceptable number of players provided the game has been balanced for it (nobody is complaining that DOTA is 5v5 after all), it puts a greater focus on individual contribution and team cohesion. Don't get me wrong... I love me some good Battlefield, but that doesn't mean every game has borrow from it to be fun.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HoboZero

Last year I pre-ordered both SimCity and Aliens: Colonial Marines...

Never Pre-order. Never Again. Never forget :'(

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nate

@tourgen: @joshwent: @kkotd: @colourful_hippie

I can change a pre-order. Even days after release if I don't pick the game up I'll be able to change it or cancel it and at least get store credit (if not a refund for the part I actually paid for on my credit card). My issues is I had this 20 bucks that expired 1/11 and I didn't want it to go to waste. There was literally NOTHING else I wanted to buy that's currently out. Titanfall is the game I'm most interested in that's being released in the next few months. So, rather than let that 20 bucks expire I decided to see if I could get 20 dollars off the game I'm most likely to buy in the next few months. I'll wait for reviews before I pick it up, and cancel if I don't like what I hear.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't know what people expected with the player count stuff, I never thought this was going to have huge-scale battles. With the parkour stuff, map objectives, big mechs and small infantry running around you need smallish maps for anything interesting to happen.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

These guys made the game that pretty much revolutionized multiplayer for a whole generation, and for good reason. That's not enough reason for me to jump out and go pre-order the game, but it is enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, that 6v6 is in a map full of AI enemies and mechs and other crazy things. It already looked fun enough way back at E3.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hayt

I have concerns that the game has got so much good press because the popcorn enemies make you feel good when you suck. I'm want to feel good because I am good not because the game is feeding me fodder.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedRoach

Remember when these same guys made a shooter with a leveling system and character perks and rewards for kills streaks? That stuff changed the industry, but I bet their were people doubting CoD4 before its launch. How about we all just see how it actually plays instead of being worried over a number.

pondwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't understand why everybody is in such an uproar about the 6v6 thing when we really barely even know anything about how the game is structured and plays. I'm personally interested in Titanfall mainly because it seems like it could be different. The fact that they think that they can create a compelling multiplayer FPS experience with such a low player count is a good indication of this, if you ask me.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Sooty

@bigjeffrey said:

PC version has dedicated servers and they are not EA servers. Also these dude know their shit when it comes to FPSsssss

Modern Warfare 2 was a colossal fuck up on PC, which is ridiculous after how well optimised Call of Duty 4 was on the same platform.

At least dedicated servers are in, the backlash surrounding MW2 on PC was pretty big. IWNet was a load of shit, it was full of hacking (they said it would prevent it - it didn't at all) and the average ping was over double that of a dedicated server because it was all p2p hosted (100+ pings even if same country) and because of this they actually added host advantage to the game which Call of Duty 4 did not have. (on PC)

http://kotaku.com/5385941/modern-warfare-2-pcs-iwnet-an-improvement-over-dedicated-servers-says-iw

The stuff fourzerotwo came out with still makes me roll my eyes, I'm glad some developers seem to understand that you can have both matchmaking and custom servers in multiplayer games, it's not rocket science.

Hope Respawn don't go the way of IW; half assed PC versions, making things worse for no reason, and then straight up lying.

Torabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second they said 6v6 I said:

FuckTitanfall

Maybe when they release Titanfall 2 in a year and they up the player limit.

"Oh no this one thing about a videogame that I haven't played isn't exactly what I wanted. Worst game ever!"

I enjoy big battles with lots and lots of players. But just because the game is limited to 6v6 doesn't automatically mean it is bad. If a game is designed around 6v6 then it is just that, designed around that player cap. It isn't as if they had big matches with hundreds of players and went "nah let's take it down". Gears of War had 4v4 and it was a ton of fun because the game was designed around that number of players.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Modern Warfare 2 was a colossal fuck up on PC, which is ridiculous after how well optimised Call of Duty 4 was on the same platform.

At least dedicated servers are in, the backlash surrounding MW2 on PC was pretty big. IWNet was a load of shit, it was full of hacking (they said it would prevent it - it didn't at all) and the average ping was over double that of a dedicated server because it was all p2p hosted (100+ pings even if same country) and because of this they actually added host advantage to the game which Call of Duty 4 did not have. (on PC)

http://kotaku.com/5385941/modern-warfare-2-pcs-iwnet-an-improvement-over-dedicated-servers-says-iw

The stuff fourzerotwo came out with still makes me roll my eyes, I'm glad some developers seem to understand that you can have both matchmaking and custom servers in multiplayer games, it's not rocket science.

Hope Respawn don't go the way of IW; half assed PC versions, making things worse for no reason, and then straight up lying.

This is what one might call a business/publisher driven decision.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is plenty of shit going on in a 6v6 match.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never pre-order anything.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

it's so crazy there are no dedicated servers for a game this big, at least on launch

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping this would be a Enemy territory type game, A Brink done right. But then i saw some game-play and thought nah looks nice on a Xbox 360, When suddenly a Xbox one notification poped up on the screen. Leaving me with a sad face. This game just feels like old game design wrap t up in a ''new'' mechish wrapping paper. In the end 20 min of game-play footage is harsh to judge a game let's wait and see what the gaming press has to say about this.

Brainling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By Brainling

I'll never understand why people freaked out about the 6v6 thing. Frankly I'm pretty sure people just like to complain. Especially with a game that's gotten as much good press as Titanfall. You have a whole crowd of people just waiting for one controversial piece of news to drop so they can jump around and tell everyone in no uncertain terms how right they were, and how Game X is going to be the worst game ever made.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@sooty said:

@bigjeffrey said:

This is what one might call a business/publisher driven decision.

that's a possibility, I recall Black Ops brought back dedicated servers. But it's a good grain of salt to consider about with Respawn/ Infinity Ward.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

1. It's made by the talented people of IW that have proven they don't put up well with publisher bullshit.

2. It's on a modified Source engine, which is probably the best engine in the world for online games.

3. It's not using Battlelog.

I have every reason to believe Titanfall will be fine.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the fact that their publisher was able to cancel their Playstation release without even consulting them shows that no matter what they may have done in the past, their publisher calls the shots here and they are putting up with it.

1. It's made by the talented people of IW that have proven they don't put up well with publisher bullshit.

Onomatopoeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm concerned about this game in general. The game is what? Less than 2 months away and I STILL don't know what the hell the gameplay mechanics are or what the fuck the overall goal or plot is. Heck, I don’t think we’ll know until some shitty 1 minute gameplay launch trailer is out a week before its release. To me, pre-ordering this game would be a gamble.

It's another shitty COD clone with robots. Nothing to get hyped over, it's also only 6v6.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gung ho about this game, but the amount of people who say "it's just CoD with mechs and jump packs" without any parody is odd to me.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By afabs515

@farmer said:

Never pre-order anything.

Yup. I almost made that mistake with RE6. Thank god the IGN review came out the day it was gonna ship and I could cancel it.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By me3639

I have concerns about posters posting concerns about games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably buy it when it hits $20. The game just looks like a poor Call of Duty clone with a mech gimmick. Hope it proves me wrong.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tru3_blu3: You'll probably be waiting 2 years. I've been waiting for Black Ops II to get that low since it came out 15 months ago :)

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lowestformofwit

I've maxed out the level cap on the beta and I can say it's more than just a COD clone.

First real system seller of this generation.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sooty

I've been playing the beta, it's ok, nothing more. Battlefield is more interesting to play and deeper all around.

Call of Duty gunplay with some traversal and kinda boring mechs to toy with.

It looks pretty good on PC, but the vsync implementation is bad because it just makes your framerate stutter.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jrad

I've played a couple of hours on PC, it feels like CoD with mechs which is great if you're into that sort of thing, I guess. A lot of the maps feel way too confined. Glad I could play the beta before I wasted money on it, at least.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why would you need to preorder a PC game available on a digital distribution service? Besides with EAs track record for releasing broken multiplayer games you'd be wise to wait a few days anyways.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's too early to judge this game on the beta. It's two maps with 1 of 3 titans, 3 game types (1 of which is terrible) and not even close to the amount of full unlocks you can have. I think once you get the the variety in there the game will be a whole different beast. I only played at most a couple of hours of the game but I was thoroughly impressed with the PC version. It's highly polished and other than getting a couple of sound glitches that carried through an entire game it was exactly what I wanted.

Traversing feels great, rodeoing a Titan is awesome, and even on foot never feel like you're outclassed cause of the mechs.

I will say Attrition mode sucks monkey ass though especially compared to Hardpoint and Last Titan Standing. Hardpoint was my preferred game of choice and Last Titan Standing kind of felt like Gears. I compare it to Gears cause that idea you get 1 titan and 1 life makes rushing in and being an idiot a stupid tactic. Be interested in seeing and playing the final game mode types and the game in general. Already forsee it sucking away a lot of time.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chobobot

My biggest concern regarding the game based on the beta is server performance. As we all know the problems that have occurred with BF4, I don't want to be splashing money on a game that has constant lag and performance issues especially when it is multiplayer-only.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

I think it's too early to judge this game on the beta. It's two maps with 1 of 3 titans, 3 game types (1 of which is terrible) and not even close to the amount of full unlocks you can have. I think once you get the the variety in there the game will be a whole different beast. I only played at most a couple of hours of the game but I was thoroughly impressed with the PC version. It's highly polished and other than getting a couple of sound glitches that carried through an entire game it was exactly what I wanted.

I disagree because more titans and unlocks won't really change how lifeless and basic the gunplay feels, there's a real lack of "oomphf" no matter what weapon I tried, the shotgun feels like a toy compared to the ones on Battlefield or Gears of War.

Then again I fell off the Call of Duty wagon years ago so it's probably not aimed at me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.