Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

PC version: Steam or Origin? Any hints?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Titanfall to me seems to be in an interesting position as far as digital distributor goes. Anything published directly by EA since 2012 seems to be launching only on Origin, however I've heard people say that Titanfall is an "EA partners" game and that is a different story.

In any case I haven't been following the game and it's developers closely enough to have any answer on this and was wondering if any more astute people might?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's running on Source, it's a fairly safe bet it will show up on Steam.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would have assumed just Origin, but the partners thing is a good point. I hope it comes to steam, if it's using the battlelog system it'll likely be Origin.

Origin is basically my Battlefield client/annoyance at this point.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Up for PreORder on origin i believe also EA.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: Does Valve have any rules about that? As in "if you use Source you are obliged to sell on Steam" I'm trying to think of games that run on source that didn't launch on Steam and all I can think of is Vampire and that was back before Source was even a properly established engine.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game could be more than what it is if they allowed the freedom that Valve do with their games. Server mods up the ass with community made server maps designed to exploit titans. It could have been so much more but knowing EA they will keep this on the down low on Origin and release maps as DLC. I wanted to make surf/minigame maps for Titanfall! change values on movement speed on Titans or import gundams from other games and use them as titans. It could be so much more but EA would never let them release that kind of mod support.

Origin exclusive, bet on it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

@korwin: Does Valve have any rules about that? As in "if you use Source you are obliged to sell on Steam" I'm trying to think of games that run on source that didn't launch on Steam and all I can think of is Vampire and that was back before Source was even a properly established engine.

I don't think there's any licensing rules in place to that tune, however considering how many different Steam hooks are likely included in the dev tools at this point paired with the fact that it's simply the biggest platform available for PC games it would seem silly not to launch on steam (not unless EA locked it up for Origin in the publishing deal).

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@korwin said:

It's running on Source, it's a fairly safe bet it will show up on Steam.

Huh, hadn't considered that. I assumed, it being a big EA title, they'd want to keep it exclusive to Pied Piper some more people on over to Origin.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Nardak

EA wants to force us to use its crappy Origin platform so it might take a while before Titanfall will available on steam.

Even when the game in question is a partners title based game.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@korwin said:

@hayt said:

I don't think there's any licensing rules in place to that tune, however considering how many different Steam hooks are likely included in the dev tools at this point paired with the fact that it's simply the biggest platform available for PC games it would seem silly not to launch on steam (not unless EA locked it up for Origin in the publishing deal).

Hybrid was using Source Engine but it came out on XBLA only. Still, I want it on Steam.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nardak said:

EA wants to force us to use its crappy Origin platform so it might take a while before Titanfall will available on steam.

What's so crappy about Origin? Haven't used it myself, so I'm curious.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nardak said:

What's so crappy about Origin? Haven't used it myself, so I'm curious.

It's a lot better than using Games for Windows LIVE / Uplay / Rockstar Social Club. It's actually a decent platform, the problem is just that it's super limiting and separates your games in two different platforms ( steam / origin ).

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By endoworks

@morningstar: I don't think it's that bad. My only issue is it's another thing to have running

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd get a EA or Capcom game on xbox or ps before pc any day, ea, capcom and few other companies make crappy pc ports of there games and with all the uplay and other logins I'd avoid anything thats not steam or drm free from GoG...

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdoms of Amalur was released on Steam and Origin simultaneously, if that is any indication of how EA Partner games are handled.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That game will be big enough to move copies without the steam homepage,EA will want to keep the valve cut to themselve and controle the DLC releases so nah son, it ain't coming to steam.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd get a EA or Capcom game on xbox or ps before pc any day, ea, capcom and few other companies make crappy pc ports of there games and with all the uplay and other logins I'd avoid anything thats not steam or drm free from GoG...

Capcom was one of the few companies who lead good PC ports this gen, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#18  Edited By Kidavenger

I really doubt this will ever come to Steam; Crysis 3 will be the first indicator though; Crysis 2 was on Steam for awhile and disappeared when the Steam vs Origin shitshow started, then came back a year later; I'd imagine Crytek fairly badly wants Crysis 3 on Steam, if they make that happen, it could happen for others.

Kingdoms of Amalur was self published by 38 on Steam and from what I heard it was a condition of them even taking the publishing deal with EA from the start, I wouldn't expect many games to come out like that again.

tamriilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@maddman60620: Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Lost Planet 3, all great PC versions. You're crazy dude.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tamriilin: Also yeah, EA makes a good case, as well.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That game is online all the time with its merging of single and multiplayer. They will certainly use Origin for that.

Source engine and EA Partners don't mean much in this case. I'd be great for it to come out on Steam but i think the chances are slim to none.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I hope it comes out on Steam. My friends who would be interested in it wouldn't get it if it came out on Origin, and if I don't have anyone to play it with I'm way less interested.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If it comes out on Steam I might actually pick it up on a deep sale, but I'm betting Origin-only. The Partners + Source thing is intriguing, though.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Anything with significant EA involvement seems to be relegated to Origin, so my money (no pun intended) is on that.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By maddman60620

@maddman60620: Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Lost Planet 3, all great PC versions. You're crazy dude.

I didn't play Dead Space 3 on PC because of the problems with the first 2 dead spaces on pc, I played Mass 1-2 on xbox so didn't play 3 on pc, lost planet 1 and 2 sucked so didn't touch 3... dead rising 2 broken at launch and didn't have a fix, loved dragon age but the dlc through to ea/bioware/origin made it a pain to pay and go back too so didn't play the dlc... games thuse use Uplay & windows live aren't as bad as origin... nope I'm not crazy just my opinion....

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jsnyder82

I was just under the assumption that it would only be on Origin. Which, other than the fact that it splits up my game collection onto two different clients, is really not a big deal.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA are publishing Titanfall, so it will be Origin-only.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

EA game = origin

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are smart, Titanfall will have it is own self patching launcher.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.