Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Titanfall Alpha Footage - Domination on Angel City

• 94 results
    Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By weegieanawrench

A new video containing footage from the Alpha version of Titanfall has made its way on to the internet over at Daily Motion. The video runs a little over 9 minutes. It's a domination match on a medium sized map with 3 control points. First off, the game looks great running on what is probably on Xbone. When the player gets up close to a wall or is aiming down the sights, the textures looks a bit muddy, but it's no big deal.

This game moves! For an alpha, the traversal and gameplay mechanics seem to be solid and from what I could see it was glitch free except when the player called down their Titan and it didn't show up where the beacon was. I thought it was neat that at the end of match the winning team gets a chance to kill the remaining enemy team before they escape. The UI is a little busy for me, but maybe that will have changed. The other complaint I have is the almost constant chatter from command telling you that you are near/at a hardpoint.

What do you guys think about the map, gameplay, and look of it?

I've linked to the daily motion page at the top of the post in case you get any funkiness with the embedded video.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Looks cool, especially once the Titans hit the field. Besides the Titans though, it's really reminiscent of Call of Duty, with more vertical options.

I have to say though, the levels don't blow up as nice as they do in the Frostbite-era Battlefield games; and for some reason, when I think Giant Robots, I think of crumbling buildings. Here's me hoping Respawn adds destructibility to Titanfall 2 (which hopefully will come to PS4).

I'll likely play Titanfall on PC. Probably not Day 1, since it's a busy month with Dark Souls 2 coming out on the same day, and Infamous 2 hitting in the same timeframe.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Was worried it looked a little too like Call of duty for the first five minuets. But once the Titans start dropping it gets better. Still really looking forward to this.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolfgame

seems pretty functional for an alpha, I know this game has a lot of high expectations.

markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks really fun and intense! There was less jet packing than i had expected though, but that could just be the player playing it.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks like Call of Duty on speed. Not bad, but not particularly interesting either. Well, until the Titans drop, looks crazy hectic when there's Titans roaming around. But man, I am getting really tired of huge ass HUD elements being all up in your face. This is the second generation of HD consoles and they still put too much crap too far into the field of view.

NorthSarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I think it looks pretty fun & I feel like the information overload on the HUD is status quo for these games at this point - doesn't bother me too much, it's like news ticker tape shit... eventually I don't even realize it exists anymore. Probably gonna pick it up ~day 1 for the Xbox One. I want more gamesssssss

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks..... AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! :O

That was nothing like COD. Just because it's also a FPS doesn't mean they're the same. Why people still expect completely unique gameplay from hyped up games is beyond me. Advances like that won't exist this generation/current hardware.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@gnatsol said:

That was nothing like COD. Just because it's also a FPS doesn't mean they're the same. Why people still expect completely unique gameplay from hyped up games is beyond me. Advances like that won't exist this generation/current hardware.

On the contrary, I'd say that it looked very much like COD with mechs and parkour, but not that that's a bad thing.

Also, whilst not for every game, I don't see why one should't hope for games that have completely unique gameplay, it's one of the most interesting and exciting aspects of gaming's evolution.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

To begin with it just looked like Call of Duty with high jumping and electric grenades, but as soon as the Titans came into play that game looked incredible.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty great, like the mech parts especially- Hopefully if this is a hit before too long there will be a new 'Heavy Gear' style game with current/next-gen hardware

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Sooty

Looks fine, but not the leap forward a lot of people seem to be hyping it up to be. Hope it turns out good on PC because I'm not planning on getting an Xbone for a few years.

Just glad it's a bit different to the usual FPS affair, no idea why EA thought having Medal of Honour (in modern times) along with Battlefield was a good idea.

The mech parts are cool but to be honest it does look a lot like Call of Duty on an urban map, with mechs just being the kill streak bonuses. I'm all for a new Call of Duty style experience with a fresh coat of paint and some new tricks though, would be nice if they have a lot of new stuff to reveal but from what I've seen so far it'll be enough to get me off other games for a while.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the look of it, looks kind of lightly borderlandsy to my eyes

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man, I don't even particularly like competitive FPSs, but I thought that was fun as hell to watch!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

@sooty said:

Looks fine, but not the leap forward a lot of people seem to be hyping it up to be. Hope it turns out good on PC because I'm not planning on getting an Xbone for a few years.

Just glad it's a bit different to the usual FPS affair, no idea why EA thought having Medal of Honour (in modern times) along with Battlefield was a good idea.

The mech parts are cool but to be honest it does look a lot like Call of Duty on an urban map, with mechs just being the kill streak bonuses. I'm all for a new Call of Duty style experience with a fresh coat of paint and some new tricks though, would be nice if they have a lot of new stuff to reveal but from what I've seen so far it'll be enough to get me off other games for a while.

I completely fail to see what people are excited about and I'm not one to go frothing at the mouth each time a new COD is released and doesn't change the world. It seems like an alright shooter with fast movement. The titans didn't impress me that much, no idea why. They just seem like a whatever powerup, it doesn't look like the gameplay is significantly different when in one.

In all honesty I thought Syndicate did way more to revolutionize the FPS experience than this - but to each his own.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So, its Call of Duty with Mechs? I really really don't get the hype about this game. This game has one gimmick the mechs and that has already been done in other games better like Hawken.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#17 fisk0  Moderator

@humanity said:

@sooty said:

I completely fail to see what people are excited about and I'm not one to go frothing at the mouth each time a new COD is released and doesn't change the world. It seems like an alright shooter with fast movement. The titans didn't impress me that much, no idea why. They just seem like a whatever powerup, it doesn't look like the gameplay is significantly different when in one.

In all honesty I thought Syndicate did way more to revolutionize the FPS experience than this - but to each his own.

What disappoints me the most is that the Titans really fail to convey the feeling of being huge, powerful machines, instead it just looks like you're wearing some kind of fancy armor from inside. There's still the hand holding a gun to the right, reload animations and stuff like that. I think just having mounted weapons would've done something to increase the feeling of piloting a mech.

Pepeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pepeman

Also, the textures are probably low-res in order to make the download smaller. Here' what someone from Respawn wrote on Neogaf: "All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 512x512 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 1024. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a match at Euro gamer, it feels smooth and fast paced just like a Call of Duty match, but the bots in the game make it feel like even if you suck at the game, you are still going to get some kills, help out your team and pull off some awesome things. And yes, controlling and fighting the titans is awesome. It's one of those games that instantly makes sense once you get your hands on it. It just plays so well and intuitively. It really is the game that is the evolution of CoD. Overall though, the game just felt fun.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the next Treyarchs next Call of Duty game combined the zombies and multiplayer mode to try and emulate a little of Titanfalls magic.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, its Call of Duty with Mechs? I really really don't get the hype about this game. This game has one gimmick the mechs and that has already been done in other games better like Hawken.

You also have more maneuverability than just about any other FPS with all the jetpacking and wall running. The fact that you are on a battlefield that has both mechs and infantry is also pretty different and is something games like Hawken are not doing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fisk0: They seem to move too fast and their weapons feel unsubstantial. I saw him fire the cluster of missiles multiple times at an enemy perched on a roof and fail to kill him.

Also maybe there will be better additions later, but when I'm playing cool future mech game it's a real bummer that everyone is still using basic looking assault rifles instead of some crazy Unreal Tournament looking weapons. Bouncing lasers, sonic boom shotties, I dunno, robot wasps - anything but a carbine man.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bigjeffrey

Played about 50 rounds, this game goooood. The wall running is just fantastic and essential.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The mech part of it did look impressive but I feel like it would get stale after awhile. I'm just not into multiplayer only games like I used to be, with TF 2 probably being the only exception. And the on foot portions look way too call of duty to me with the jetpacks and future weapons being the only difference. If it's really cheap in a sale on origin I may try it out in the future but I'm just not feeling the hype around this.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks amazing but there should be faster respawns.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Sooty

@fisk0 said:

@humanity said:

@sooty said:

What disappoints me the most is that the Titans really fail to convey the feeling of being huge, powerful machines, instead it just looks like you're wearing some kind of fancy armor from inside. There's still the hand holding a gun to the right, reload animations and stuff like that. I think just having mounted weapons would've done something to increase the feeling of piloting a mech.

That is exactly what I thought, they look like a power suit and that's it. I was expecting something like Hawken.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beepmachine

Totally thought Paul McCartney was gonna pitch me on the game at first.

Everything about this looks super tight to me. The sound and visual design seem really top notch; love the way the screen in your helmet gets messed up for a second when you get hit. The ejection from the titans is insanely cool, they really shoot up fast as hell. It's similar to call of duty but that's to be expected considering who made it, and the verticality should keep things interesting. I really like the concept of the losing team calling in their rescue vehicle and getting the fuck out of there at the end.

@weegieanawrench I think after a while you would just tune the chatter out. Battlefield does a similar thing where there's chatter every single time something happens. Soon you don't even hear it.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I guess this is person broke their NDA? I started wondering about this when I noticed he blurred some of the text on right. Yet, all the player names are visible in the game (over their heads). He leveled up to 9 during the match, and died at specific time stamps. Seems to me if Respawn wants to figure out who leaked it they could run a few queries in their server logs and easily narrow this down. Not that I care one way of the other.

About the gameplay, it looks alright. I was expecting a bit more with all the comments of "it gets way better when the titans fall". What I found a tad anti-climactic was that it seems everyone's first titan was ready at the exact same time, so it turned the match into a human vs human into a titan vs titan match. I guess when you die, you respawn as a human and have to wait for your next titan, and that's where it's becoming truly asymmetric. I'm curious to see how that works and balances out.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks really fun, but the UI is total shit.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markini6 said:
    @gnatsol said:

On the contrary, I'd say that it looked very much like COD with mechs and parkour, but not that that's a bad thing.

Also, whilst not for every game, I don't see why one should't hope for games that have completely unique gameplay, it's one of the most interesting and exciting aspects of gaming's evolution.

Please go into detail how it's so similar to COD other than the fact that you're shooting from eye-sight and it's on hardpoint mode.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weegieanawrench: where is ai element?? i know it is 6v6 but they said there is some ai in every match on both sides

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. This looks pretty damn great.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The UI is a little busy for me, but maybe that will have changed. The other complaint I have is the almost constant chatter from command telling you that you are near/at a hardpoint.

I think it looks fantastic, and a hell of a lot of fun, but YES - the UI is pretty overbearing in the alpha, hopefully they make some changes to it. "You pwnd a dude" style text popping up everywhere, intrusive HUD elements, big bars across the screen that seem unnecessary - All things I hope they fix by release. I feel like this is the type of game that could benefit from a very minimal UI. At least give us the option to turn all that shit off.

Either way, I am excited. This looks like a lot of fun. I played a hell of a lot of COD 4, then moved to the Battlefield games and have been there ever since. I am hoping that Titanfall will drag me in.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmmmmmmm....

don't know how to react. Half of me is analyzing this as a Valve Source Engine design, like other mods out there that try this like NeoTokyo. It's still staying true to it's CoD roots, and also not really doing the same things like "lets shoot down UAV" or even perk systems and weapon upgrades. Because that could be annoying trying to fiddle around with customizing a character in between deaths. And then I'm happy it's not single player, kinda find it hard to imagine I'm saying that, because no hand holdiness "here shoot this guy who's sniping or less we don't push on."

weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By weegieanawrench

@beepmachine: Yeah, I hope you're right. I have been playing some BF4 and the chatter hasn't bothered me much.

weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexgbro: I didn't know bots are supposed to be in the game. It will definitely need it if it going to remain 6v6, especially for the PC crowd. Then again, all we have is alpha footage right now, so hopefully it's in the final version.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seriously played a CoD since MW2. I do like those games, they just haven't been different enough to get me interested. This looks different enough!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

@markini6 said:
    @gnatsol said:

Please go into detail how it's so similar to COD other than the fact that you're shooting from eye-sight and it's on hardpoint mode.

It has the exact run and gun style gameplay that made COD 4 so popular. Run, round the corner, left trigger, right trigger and run again in close quarter maps. Granted, it's evolved with the mechs and the vertical parcour but it's still the same kind of game at its core. So if you aren't a run and gun kind of player you won't be more into titanfall than you were into cod multiplayer.

weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: I've been drawn away from COD as well. MW2 was the height of the craze for me. It's gotten real stale, so some fresh paint and verticality mechanics might get me back into competitive multiplayer.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

@markini6 said:
    @gnatsol said:

Small player counts with fast, arcadey combat. The guns are very fast to ADS.

Battlefield has a hardpoint style mode and eye-sight aiming, but it feels like a completely different game. From the footage, this is far closer to CoD. Not that its a bad thing. people seem to take that the wrong way when they hear it

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played about 50 rounds, this game goooood. The wall running is just fantastic and essential.

Grats! nice to hear that!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DonPixel

@foolishchaos said:

@gnatsol said:

@markini6 said:
    @gnatsol said:

Small player counts with fast, arcadey combat. The guns are very fast to ADS.

Battlefield has a hardpoint style mode and eye-sight aiming, but it feels like a completely different game. From the footage, this is far closer to CoD. Not that its a bad thing. people seem to take that the wrong way when they hear it

-.- Battlefield is nothing like it used to be, nor is hardpoint style mode, nor is a true "sand box", If so Arma 3 is what Battlefield used to be and much more. I'm not saying Battlefield is bad per-se but moment to moment, the speed, the aiming, the arcade feel is closer to Call of Duty, like for reals... Battlefield is a COD with big maps and vehicles, AGAIN not saying that is bad... but the way people make it to be the "tactical" superior shooter... bitch please /facepalm.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, those dudes both ejected at the same time and SHOT EACH OTHER IN THE AIR. This looks fuckin' rad to me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Hm, this needs more HUD. I mean, there is still one corner left that's just ripe for more UI! Maybe a chat interface?

weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: Ah yeah, I forgot about that! This game has good potential for some awesome moments.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It looks really cool, everything about the mechs is awesome. Hopefully it is balanced well for PC.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By artelinarose

Yup, it's a video game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@sooty said:

I agree, Humanity. I think the mech/titan twist is a huge gimmick that tries to hide the CoD influence. I'm just getting sick of these quick killtimes and tacked-on RPG, player progression crap that's infesting multiplayer shooters. They were good at first, but now it's not effective to players like me.

This is why, in my opinion, TF2 still stands as the best modern multiplayer FPS right now. It's simple, balanced, filled with personality, and has a flawless P2P model that never becomes P2W. Fuck unlocks that bloat the fucking game to unfeasible levels of broken, games should focus on balance and tons of maps, not instant gratification.

But hey, I'm not apart of the common denominator. They cater to people like me, they're obviously not going to sell well. Business is business.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SomeJerk

0) I can see and smell the OG IW, so happy
    1) That looks real cool but it's clear we waited until this generation to see it only because of Activision refusing them making a new IP
    2) I could imagine paying $60 to play this MP alongside an actual singleplayer campaign that had effort put into it ie I'll wait for a PC sale, jeeze
    3) I hope EA spends those $40++ million MS gave them to keep it off the PS4 well
    4) Blurring only that part of the screen won't help the recording player escape EA when they start hunting NDA breakers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@somejerk said:

3) I hope EA spends those $40++ million MS gave them to keep it off the PS4 well

Why?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

The gimmick with this game is that it has the prestige of West and Zampella behind it (despite one of them having left). Those guys know how to make a first-person shooter that is FUN in the same ways that Quake II and Quake III were fun. They get it, and Titanfall looks like they are striking at that same forge to make a new mastercraft weapon.

I can't wait to play the shit out of this game. The vertical options for movement will add a whole new level to the maps, and the overall mobility is something that I'm loving. It's not just the parkour. Everything has more speed to it. That's the way I like my FPS games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.