Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Titanfall PC 48GB Install / Xbox up to 40 GB Install

• 52 results
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

• PC version of the game will be an approximately 21GB download and will take up around 48GB of hard drive space. Kotatsu
    • The Xbox One version of Titanfall will require "up to" 40GB of hard drive space to install, Microsoft and Electronic Arts announced today. Gspot

While i am baffled by the size of this i think it's crappy ms back out of preloading titanfall prior to release. Anyways that's alot of space for a source game that does not really look mindblowing.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder if there's a way to download the game without the super high res textures.....Or maybe that is the download without them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yeah, that does seem kinda big, but the Beta was pretty big too.

If I were to buy this anywhere near release, it would probably be a disc-based purchase. That's a lot of gigs to download on my measly internet connection. I also can't download while other people in my house are using the internet, so I'd have to let it download while I'm at school/at night, which means I wouldn't get to play it for two days at least Probably four or five.

Yeah, that's a disc purchase unless it goes on a crazy sale.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator

@caesius6 said:

Also, back out of? Did they ever announce they were going to let that happen?

I've certainly never heard anything about pre-loading. Maybe we'll eventually start getting those consistently on consoles, but I don't expect it any time soon.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mcfart

That's bigger then BF4, which also has a single player campaign and 64 players.

Wow.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's normal size. I don't understand why you are baffled since games have just been getting bigger and bigger the last few years, and with next-gen consoles and higher-end PC hardware coming out they are only getting bigger. A big game with the size of 40-50GB with high-resolution textures is pretty normal these days. Of course optimization has a bit to do with it too, but when you are using such high-res assets there's only so much you can do to keep the size down. Plus the 20-something language/dialog packs in most games take up lots of space too.

It's only going to get bigger from here on out. That 2TB hard drive is looking better and better every day now.....

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

That's what, 4 DVDs for the PC version?

E: Wait no, 3

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By EricSmith

Eventually, they are going to have to start actually managing their file sizes. All discs are 50gb Blu-Rays right now, so they are just shoving the shit on there with little thought of optimization and compression. I have like four games installed on my Xbox One, and my drive only has like 220gigs left. It is three months after launch for fuck's sake.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently the Xbox One version will only be a 20GB install.

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's normal size... A big game with the size of 40-50GB with high-resolution textures is pretty normal these days.

I wouldn't say that 40+ gigs games are quite the norm. If we compare to for example Battlefield 4 which has 18 multiplayer maps and a single player campaign, and you wouldn't call it exactly ugly, takes "only" 34GB. Wasn't Titanfall multiplayer only with handful of maps? Those assets must be absolutely massive.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can go back to complain about something else.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/25/titanfall-requires-roughly-40gb-install-on-xbox-one

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Large install size? Good. All that says to me is that the game hopefully has some good looking assets, progress people. Things like texture quality actually managed to slide backwards last gen (seriously fire up UT2004 and compare it's texture work to most modern 360 titles), it's good to see things picking up again now that there's memory to spare

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EXTomar

On PC a 20GB download isn't that crazy and manageable if they do things like "pre-download". No idea why the console version is so huge and probably a big reason why the 360 version is delayed.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vuud

Wow fuck you and your 48 gb for a multiplayer only game.

Instead of working to make better engines that can fully take advantage of new hardware power it seems developers are just inflating assets. We need a new Carmack.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By quemador

@mcfart: Those Titans are big dude, must have take a lot of space

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The biggest thing I took away from this thread is that Titanfall is a Source game.

What.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By korwin

The biggest thing I took away from this thread is that Titanfall is a Source game.

What.

Nothing wrong with Source. May not be the most modern engine but it has the best input latency out of all the ones that offer licenses.

jynxdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like the money I saved by buying it from Origin Mexico will instead go to paying for bandwidth.

Most Australian ISPs offer free Steam downloads. None offer free Origin downloads - probably because there's like 4 games on the damn thing.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By vaiz

@korwin said:

@punkxblaze said:

What.

Nothing wrong with Source. May not be the most modern engine but it has the best input latency out of all the ones that offer licenses.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I love Source. Portal 2 really impressed me with how good they can make Source look still after almost a decade. I'm just shocked because holy shit Titanfall looks good. Source is some powerful shit.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to check, but couldn't find the proof. I believe that WoW doesn't even have that many total GB download.

Its not like I cannot download the game, but damn! That is a lot for a multiplayer shooter.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Oh great this is a large game well thanks Microsoft thanks

upvote your outrage on Reddit

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What could possibly be making this game so large? There are only 12 maps, the graphics aren't anything special, and there's no singleplayer. Could it be the ai or something?

Anyways, this will be the biggest game I've ever installed I think.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern games are complex and need a bunch of assets. If gamers do not want games so large then I guess they need to stop demanding bigger games.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or reading at the comments, there's no way on earth anybody can be happy about anything.

40 gig : too big, low bandwith will bite me in the ass, Textures must be too HI res, the game hasn't been optimized, tx microsoft for filling up my HD space with a 40 multiplayer only game...
    20gig : not enough modes, low res textures suck, won't be 1080p, I wish the game would have more content, too old too bad engine, not paying 60$ for 20 gig of game.

I'm sad.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like there is a case for a generalized system built into download services that allows players to select various asset quality sets to install. I mean, it's cool that Titanfall has the "insane" texture resolution, but aren't they wasting most players' time and EA's bandwidth costs by prematurely installing assets that 95% of gaming PCs aren't adequately equipped to use? Even something like Skyrim's high resolution texture pack as free DLC might be appreciated.

Of course, as Nashvilleskyline points out, no one ever seems to be happy on the internet and people would be complaining about needing to download them separately. Hopefully those people wouldn't be the same people who are now complaining about the 48GB install not fitting on their SSDs...

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For God's sake people. This isn't a "Source" game. They just needed to get a demo up and running quickly so they used the Source as a building block and they just built their own stuff off of it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Man, next gen games are really stressing my data caps lately. At the very least I'm glad they're letting us pre load the game on Pc.

Edit: I've been downloading the game today, and I never noticed, but the throttle limit for the download speed is noticeably higher on Origin than it is on Steam for me.

The comparison being Steam's - Around 800 kbps and Origin's - Around 2.5 mbps.

I have the throttle limit turned to the highest setting on Steam, but it never get's higher than 1 mbps. Internet connections are weird.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost 50GB is still a big chunk of space on anything under 2TB.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vinny_Says

This is what games are today mane. Just wait until Bethesda releases releases Fallout 4 and it's like 8 gigs and then you can make a thread :)

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Syndrom

@crembaw said:

Almost 50GB is still a big chunk of space on anything under 2TB.

it's pretty ok on my 1 terra game drive :p

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Samaritan

@punkxblaze said:

@korwin said:

@punkxblaze said:

What.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I love Source. Portal 2 really impressed me with how good they can make Source look still after almost a decade. I'm just shocked because holy shit Titanfall looks good. Source is some powerful shit.

Calling Titanfall a Source Engine game seems really disingenuous, as from the sounds of it, Respawn simply used Source at the outset as a foundation from which they built their engine from. Sounds like almost every line of code in that thing has been modified or stripped out entirely.

It'd be a logistical nightmare, but I really wish I could download the game sans ultra-super-amazeballs-high res textures. During the beta, I couldn't run the highest res textures without significant performance loss, so I'll never even see those assets when I'm playing the final game, so they're just going to be taking up space on my hard drive.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is it just me or reading at the comments, there's no way on earth anybody can be happy about anything.

40 gig : too big, low bandwith will bite me in the ass, Textures must be too HI res, the game hasn't been optimized, tx microsoft for filling up my HD space with a 40 multiplayer only game...

20gig : not enough modes, low res textures suck, won't be 1080p, I wish the game would have more content, too old too bad engine, not paying 60$ for 20 gig of game.

I'm sad.

I'm not sure if you know how the internet works, but it's a collection of millions of people. People with different opinions and points of view. If group A doesn't like thing B, they will complain about it. Group B likes thing B, they aren't complaining about it. If group B doesn't like thing A, they will complain about it. Group A likes thing A, they aren't complaining about it.

Not everyone will be happy about everything, that doesn't mean no one is happy about anything. The game could be 100+gb and I think that would be great.

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By futurstock

thats pretty large, my data cap is only 20 gb...a month :[
    isnt it a multiplayer only game? thats allota particle effects!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you pre-load this on Origin? I wasn't planning on pre-ordering, but I might if I'm able to download it right away...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By AndrewB

Why does game size matter anymore and why are people surprised by it? It's been inflated since before the current generation of consoles.

48 GB install, but not a 48 GB download, if bandwidth is the sole concern here. Spindle hard drives are large and cheap (though it sure would be nice if Microsoft made their One drive user upgradable, I'll grant you that; and no, USB 3 does not typically cut it compared to an internal bus speed, so external drives are not quite the most perfect solution).

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been hearing some reports from people digging around the preload files on the PC and finding that around 35GB's of that is nothing but uncompressed audio from all the different language tracks in the game. I can't imagine that it was never once brought to EA/Respawn's attention that "hey, maybe we shouldn't bundle in every language into everyone's download, but instead split that stuff up by region."

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Can you pre-load this on Origin? I wasn't planning on pre-ordering, but I might if I'm able to download it right away...

Yes, you can download the game before launch.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This don't really bother me, but then again it only took me a few hours to download and i have a 2 terabyte drive... I can see it seeming insane if it takes you days to download though.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bigjeffrey

@caesius6 said:

Whether it's a source game or not, it can still easily take up 40GB with everything included uncompressed.

Also, back out of? Did they ever announce they were going to let that happen?

There was a titanfall preload message on the Titanfall xbox page but they took it down. Some believe to please Retailers but who the fuck knows.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely had a double take when GMG sent me my code and I started to preload the 49gbs! I'm assuming its textures and audio files, but who the hell knows. Took more than 4 hours to download/install the whole thing. My main concern now is a gigantic day 1 patch and the server meltdown that this game will cause the first week.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kishinfoulux

For all the talk of going digital by MS, the fact that I can't even preorder Titanfall on my XB1 is pretty fucking dumb. How is it Origin users can prepurchase and preload it and we can't?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game looks a lot worse than the Witcher 2, that was like 15 gigs or so. Also it wasn't an FPS with limited environments.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The bigger the textures are, the bigger the install size. Unless we somehow get point-cloud tech that results in games consisting of tiny dots, I don't see a slowdown in game size any time soon.

The start of the last gen saw 20GB hard drives. If this trend continues as it always has, I bet video games in 2020 will be up to a terabyte in size.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been hearing some reports from people digging around the preload files on the PC and finding that around 35GB's of that is nothing but uncompressed audio from all the different language tracks in the game. I can't imagine that it was never once brought to EA/Respawn's attention that "hey, maybe we shouldn't bundle in every language into everyone's download, but instead split that stuff up by region."

My quick and dirty math says to me that 35 gigs of 32 bit, 44.1 kHz stereo wav files would be 143.5 hours of audio. I doubt the music needs translating into different languages, so 143.5 hours of "fire in the hole" in what, 200 different languages? What the fuck?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

@captain_felafel said:

My quick and dirty math says to me that 35 gigs of 32 bit, 44.1 kHz stereo wav files would be 143.5 hours of audio. I doubt the music needs translating into different languages, so 143.5 hours of "fire in the hole" in what, 200 different languages? What the fuck?

Yeah, I don't know man. Just Internet speculation, but it's more than one person coming to the same conclusion so who knows? Maybe those files are packaged in with other assets as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.