TitanFall ( PC/Xbox One/360) chunk of infos

• 78 results
#1 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

One of the new IPs of the 8 of Microsoft Game Studios seems to be Titanfall the game from Respwan.

Xbox One and PC will be done by Respawn and the 360 Version is from another Team.

From the article about Titanfall:

"Thanks to the more open maps, healthy mix of enemy AI and real players, and the ultra-powerful titans, the gameplay loop in Titanfall is more accommodating to newcomers."

"Seeing a match play out on three different player screens in a short demo after the the target gameplay video, the average time of life seems drastically increased over the average Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo match."

First infos:

- Xbox One, PC

- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else

- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it

- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them

- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would this project or another.

- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations

- Spring 2014 Release Date

- To my eyes it looks visually very nice.

- First person shooter

- "Mech" and ground combat

- "Mech's" are called Titans.

- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.

- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.

- Player characters are called Pilots

- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.

- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".

- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.

- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.

- There are AI enemies on the maps.

- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.

- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.

- Source gives them 60 fps

- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen

- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.

- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.

- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.

- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.

- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.

#2 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

EA published, not MGS.

#3 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

I don't think this is one of the 8 new IPs, as they claim for those 8 to be MS Studios.

From memory, Respawn is an EA studio now - so they'd most likely be publishing Titanfall (dumb name IMO, should have just left it as Titan - but there were probably IP issues).

Wouldn't be surprised if it IS an xbone exclusive though.

#4 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

EA published, not MGS.

Mass Effect for example was also MS published. Gears also is Epic and was Microsoft published And we had rumors about this already. Titanfall is one of these 8 IPs.

#5 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

@darji said:

@dharmabum said:

EA published, not MGS.

Mass Effect for example was also MS published. Gears also is Epic and was Microsoft published And we had rumors about this already. Titanfall is one of these 8 IPs.

Yes but Respawn is an EA company. This is being published by EA.

#6 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@darji said:

@dharmabum said:

EA published, not MGS.

Hmm... good point about Mass Effect.

Maybe... If so, it's a good get - though the concept looks meh. (if it turns out to be a pseudo-RPG, though, I'm sold - there's a Mass Effect shaped hole in my future gaming plans)

#7 Edited by mosdl (3229 posts) -

@neoepoch said:

@darji said:

@dharmabum said:

EA published, not MGS.

Yes but Respawn is an EA company. This is being published by EA.

I don't think Respawn is owned by EA, EA is just a publisher.

#8 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@darji said:

@dharmabum said:

EA published, not MGS.

Hmm... good point about Mass Effect.

Maybe... If so, it's a good get - though the concept looks meh. (if it turns out to be a pseudo-RPG, though, I'm sold - there's a Mass Effect shaped hole in my future gaming plans)

I don't think Reswpan is making a RPG game. But we need to wait for infos.

Also do not forget EA has a deal going on with Microsoft. This is one of the 8 games.

More infos:

From the article about Titanfall:

"Thanks to the more open maps, healthy mix of enemy AI and real players, and the ultra-powerful titans, the gameplay loop in Titanfall is more accommodating to newcomers."

"Seeing a match play out on three different player screens in a short demo after the the target gameplay video, the average time of life seems drastically increased over the average Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo match."

#9 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

This art looks pretty cliche, but hey it's interesting to see the Call of Duty guys doing something kinda nuts.

#10 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

some new stuff about exclusivity and lol the cloud XD

A lot of the article has to do with Respawn's origins, actually.

So here's the exclusivity mention: They thought working on PS4, Xbox One and PC would prove too difficult for a small team, so they decided to focus on one console instead of two. (er...). "Not to say we won't [go multiplatform] in the future, but for our first game we wanted to focus on making the best game we could."

GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram, and asks if that's a problem for Respawn. He says they're having trouble even using the 5GB efficiently with all the new architecture tricks. (that is to say, even if they had 8GB they wouldn't know how to use it properly at this stage of development)

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it. Still dealing with unfinished hardware and software, so it's "still a little rough going at times.

So yeah Respawn as well on the cloud bullshit train. Good luck if you want to play it offline if this were true^^

#11 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Do not to derail:

All the infos:

- Xbox One, PC

- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else

- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it

- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them

- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would this project or another.

- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations

- Spring 2014 Release Date

- To my eyes it looks visually very nice.

- First person shooter

- "Mech" and ground combat

- "Mech's" are called Titans.

- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.

- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.

- Player characters are called Pilots

- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.

- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".

- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.

- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.

- There are AI enemies on the maps.

- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.

- Rewrote aspects of it for next gen

- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.

- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.

- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.

- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.

- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.

#12 Edited by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

Woa, no PS4?

#13 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Woa, no PS4?

Microsoft founded accordig to rumors that normally are true. No problem there.

#14 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

Woa, no PS4?

microsoft opened there wallets if you know what i mean

#15 Edited by mosdl (3229 posts) -

@abendlaender said:

Woa, no PS4?

MS is paying them $$$, been rumored for a while.

#16 Edited by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

Colour me interested for the PC version.

#17 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@samstrife said:

Yup.

Considering how much of a lame dog the One is seeming to be, the fact PC is confirmed is a saving grace. (here's hoping it's not just another fucking boring shooter)

#18 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

@mosdl said:

@abendlaender said:

Woa, no PS4?

But is this still published by EA?
If so, then MS probably had to pay them a shitload of cash cause this means they won't establish the brand on PS4. Also MS paying for this while also getting CoD exclusivity deals is kinda hilarious

#19 Edited by SomeJerk (3262 posts) -

"- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations"

Who else wants to see how this works out?
..who else wonders how much that 300k server cloud is going to cost them?

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (11987 posts) -

It's coming to Xbox One, but is it also coming to Xbox 1?

#21 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@mosdl said:

@abendlaender said:

Woa, no PS4?

If so, then MS probably had to pay them a shitload of cash cause this means they won't establish the brand on PS4. Also MS paying for this while also getting CoD exclusivity deals is kinda hilarious

Respawn is not owned by EA where did you get that Info^^

And EA and MS have a huge deal going on. 2-3 exclusives including Mirrors Edge and maybe Dragon Age 3 by the looks of it. As well as tons of exclusive DLC.

#22 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@darji said:

And EA and MS have a huge deal going on. 2-3 exclusives including Mirrors Edge and maybe Dragon Age 3 by the looks of it. As well as tons of exclusive DLC.

Where did you get that info?

#23 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji said:

And EA and MS have a huge deal going on. 2-3 exclusives including Mirrors Edge 2 and maybe Dragon Age 3 by the looks of it. As well as tons of exclusive DLC.

Where did you get that info?

The deal or Mirror edge 2? Again Rumor wheel but most of these are true one of them was an exclusive Respawn game called Titan. So take out of it what you will^^

The Dragon Age 3 thing just popped up at a retailer only showing the Xbox one and PC version.

#24 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@samstrife said:

Yup.

Considering how much of a lame dog the One is seeming to be, the fact PC is confirmed is a saving grace. (here's hoping it's not just another fucking boring shooter)

The thing I really find strange that they are using the Source engine Seriously how old is this engine?^^

#25 Edited by SlashDance (1818 posts) -

I mean, they called their company Respawn, so I shouldn't expect an especially imaginative title for their first game, but still, TitanFall has to be the blandest name I've heard in like 5 years.

I'm glad they're making a PC version, though ! I'll keep an eye on it.

#26 Posted by Rowr (5711 posts) -

Wait, go back to the part where they are using the source engine?

#27 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@rowr said:

#28 Edited by Rowr (5711 posts) -

@darji said:

@rowr said:

This is the most interesting part of the whole thing to me.

Seems like source has been barely looked at aside from valve titles. I'm assuming it's getting souped up a bit.

Especially with them "needing" next gen

#29 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

gameinformer not happy about the leak

#30 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@rowr said:

Seems like source has been barely looked at aside from valve titles. I'm assuming it's getting souped up a bit.

Yup, add that to the fact that they could have used Frostbite 2/3 or UE3/4...

Interesting move to say the least. I wonder if the game will actually look any good?

#31 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@rowr said:

Interesting move to say the least. I wonder if the game will actually look any good?

Frostbite is a EA engine. Respawn has nothing to do with EA.

Also they are going for a Left for Dead type of game so it makes sense to use this engine since it works great with PC and Steam^^

#32 Edited by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@rowr said:

You prefer that they stick with the Quake 3 engine?

#33 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@darji said:

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@rowr said:

Also they are going for a Left for Dead type of game so it makes sense to use this engine since it works great with PC and Steam^^

I beg to differ, Respawn is quite closely linked to EA (but you're right about them probably going for a lower spec engine to help multiplayer and framerates)

---

On April 12th, 2010, departed heads of Infinity Ward - Jason West and Vince Zampella - announced their new studio, Respawn Entertainment, with Electronic Arts providing the seed capital to start the company. Zampella will be assuming the role of General Manager and West as President.

They have a publishing deal with EA Partners, and EA will have the right to publish the company's first game, along with potential sequels and spin-offs. Respawn Entertainment will still own and maintain control of their intellectual property, however.

They are currently in the process of hiring a team to work on an as of yet unannounced project. However, West has stated he expects their first project will be of a "huge, summer blockbuster" scale. He also added they would consider turning the company's games into comic books, movies, and other media.

http://www.giantbomb.com/respawn-entertainment/3010-7080/

#34 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji said:

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@rowr said:

I beg to differ, Respawn is quite closely linked to EA (but you're right about them probably going for a lower spec engine to help multiplayer and framerates)

---

On April 12th, 2010, departed heads of Infinity Ward - Jason West and Vince Zampella - announced their new studio, Respawn Entertainment, with Electronic Arts providing the seed capital to start the company. Zampella will be assuming the role of General Manager and West as President.

They have a publishing deal with EA Partners, and EA will have the right to publish the company's first game, along with potential sequels and spin-offs. Respawn Entertainment will still own and maintain control of their intellectual property, however.

They are currently in the process of hiring a team to work on an as of yet unannounced project. However, West has stated he expects their first project will be of a "huge, summer blockbuster" scale. He also added they would consider turning the company's games into comic books, movies, and other media.

http://www.giantbomb.com/respawn-entertainment/3010-7080/

Hmmm oh my bad. NVM then^^

#35 Edited by Scroll (599 posts) -

@darji: Nothing to do with EA except that EA are publishing.

#36 Edited by TurboMan (7559 posts) -

Big get for M$. I'm sure somebody is really pissed off about it leaking before their E3 press conference.

#37 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@scroll said:

@darji: Nothing to do with EA except that EA are publishing.

YEah Iam sorry. But that means no buy for my since PC and Origin^^

Also I guess this is one of the 2 games EA will do exclusive for MS. The other should be Mirrors Edge 2 from Dice. Dice teased an announcement. So Dragon Age 3 wont be console exclusive then by the looks of it.

#38 Posted by Zojirushi (65 posts) -

Lol that Source Engine part is hilarious.

#39 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

@darji said:

@abendlaender said:

@mosdl said:

@abendlaender said:

Woa, no PS4?

I never said Respawn is owned by EA, but EA was always named the publisher for Respawn's first game.

#40 Posted by Scroll (599 posts) -

@darji: Origin is bearable if the game is good enough.

#41 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Oh god

I just read "Titanfall" as "Titanfail" - it's 1am (which is apparently late for me now), so I'm tired, but I don't think this will be the last time I hear Titanfail.

Anyway - I just read the note on how the story line for this will be more like L4D and I became 100% disinterested in this product.

I liked L4D, but that was a number of years ago, and well before my shooter fatigue.

#42 Edited by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

Is it wrong that I'm not interested in a purely multiplayer shooter? I would've liked if they had a single-player campaign of some kind. I hope this game is a success for Respawn. I'm not exactly surprised EA is willing to make Xbox one Exclusives....for better or worse.

@darji said:

I wonder how much trouble Gameinformer is in...probably not a lot, but who knows.

#43 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Is it wrong that I'm not interested in a purely multiplayer shooter? I would've liked if they had a single-player campaign of some kind. I hope this game is a success for Respawn. I'm not exactly surprised EA is willing to make Xbox one Exclusives....for better or worse.

@darji said:

I wonder how much trouble Gameinformer is in...probably not a lot, but who knows.

They have a sP campaign but the did not say anything about it except that it does exist.

As for Origin: Yeah I use it for BF3 but still I rather want to have my games on one "platform".

#44 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

The positioning of this game is fascinating to me considering XBox One's move to mass appeal. I imagine MS thinks this if for the hardcore, but that's the very group that's crying about the always online rumors the loudest. From the Kotaku article

"We didn't know about the PC version, but the reliance on the cloud and the fact that a non-Respawn studio is doing the 360 version match with our April report. We'd heard the game will require an online connection. According to Cartman86's read of the issue, "Respawn will use the Xbox One's cloud-computing services to make the game run beyond the hardware's offline capabilities, utilizing the cloud for physics and AI calculations." Last month, Microsoft touted the system's optional cloud computing tech as a tool developers could use to make their games run better. Use of the cloud requires a persistent online connection. The Xbox 360 doesn't support this kind of thing, as far as we know, so that version would lack that enhanced performance."

#45 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@djou said:

The positioning of this game is fascinating to me considering XBox One's move to mass appeal. I imagine MS thinks this if for the hardcore, but that's the very group that's crying about the always online rumors the loudest. From the Kotaku article

"We didn't know about the PC version, but the reliance on the cloud and the fact that a non-Respawn studio is doing the 360 version match with our April report. We'd heard the game will require an online connection. According to Cartman86's read of the issue, "Respawn will use the Xbox One's cloud-computing services to make the game run beyond the hardware's offline capabilities, utilizing the cloud for physics and AI calculations." Last month, Microsoft touted the system's optional cloud computing tech as a tool developers could use to make their games run better. Use of the cloud requires a persistent online connection. The Xbox 360 doesn't support this kind of thing, as far as we know, so that version would lack that enhanced performance."

This cloud stuff is such a huge bullshit. This is not how this works^^

#46 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1838 posts) -

@darji said:

@djou said:

How exactly do you know this?

#47 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji said:

@djou said:

common sense? Yes you can put stuff like AI into such an environment but even that is limited and everything always also depends on your internet connection as well. Also have you not been following Sim city? That was basically the same and look how this turned out to be. There is no unlimited power through the cloud and your Xbox one does not become suddenly 40 times more powerful like Microsoft was saying. . Also i doubt how they will be able to calculate physics via cloud. How does this even work without lags and delays even if they are minimal.

#48 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1838 posts) -

@darji said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darji said:

@djou said:

common sense? Yes you can put stuff like AI into such an environment but even that is limited and everything always also depends on your internet connection as well. Also have you not been following Sim city? That was basically the same and look how this turned out to be. There is no unlimited power through the cloud and your Xbox one does not become suddenly 40 times more powerful like Microsoft was saying. . Also i doubt how they will be able to calculate physics via cloud. How does this even work without lags and delays even if they are minimal.

Yes youre right there is no unlimited power, but you just said yourself that everything depends on your internet connection and it can rely on your internet connection, look at On-live and Gaikai theres some power there that could bring more to the table but not unlimited power no.

#49 Posted by mellotronrules (1193 posts) -

politically interesting news, but unless they bring it in the gameplay dept. (some considerable innovation in a multiplayer shooter), it has no bearing on my purchasing decisions.

#50 Edited by djou (875 posts) -

@darji: Yes, I agree. The claims about cloud computing efficiency are nonsense. However, I think that's MSfts way of justifying the always on component. That's where I think they have flawed reasoning. This game is aimed at the core gamers complaining that Xbone will have a bunch of Kinect games. But those are the very people griping about always online. If this is true, its a line in the sand moment. If you own an Xbone and you are a hardcore shooter fan, then you will have to accept always online.

@connerthekewlkid: if you're interested, this Eurogamer article was the one that made me think the cloud computing claims were baloney. (link)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.