When do you think EA will bring Titanfall to PS4?

Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: When do you think EA will bring Titanfall to PS4? (219 votes)

Less than six months after release 10%
Between six and nine months after release 18%
Around a year after release 30%
The original will never come to PS4, but a sequel will 30%
MS will make sure that EA never brings the series to PS4 13%

Timed exclusive? That would be my guess. Remember when Mass Effect was "only on Xbox?" And that game was originally published by Microsoft, not EA like this game is. ME2 was published by EA, and it ended up coming to the PS3 just a little under a year after originally being released as an Xbox 360 exclusive. Conversely, the Epic Games developed Gears of War series never went multiplatform, but it was always published by Microsoft.

If both consoles get a considerable install base, I don't see MS dropping the sort of cash that would keep EA from making this a multiplatform series, especially with it already being available on the 360 and PC.

Either way, it was easily one of the most impressive looking games of E3.

#1 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Its on PC so kinda who cares... Personally I wasn't to impress with titan fall, It looks like COD with Mechs, not my cup of tea.

#2 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I think the bigger question is whether Respawn is bought by EA or another publisher or a platform holder. As I understand it, they own the IP so I assume it goes with them?

#3 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1162 posts) -

There's no way to know but I don't see it being on PS4 ever. PC version will do just fine.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

Man, I dunno, all that mech movement looked really bad. Like, really really bad. I'm sure it will hit PS4 eventually but whether it's there or PC, they have yet to make a case for why I should care about their game.

#5 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

It's going to PC which is all that matters to me.

#6 Posted by alternate (2694 posts) -

General rule is that you don't claim to have exclusivity unless the contract is for a year or more. If it were only say 6 months they would have hedged and called it a "timed exclusive".

#7 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

General rule is that you don't claim to have exclusivity unless the contract is for a year or more. If it were only say 6 months they would have hedged and called it a "timed exclusive".

Was ME2 on 360 ever referred to by Microsoft as a timed exclusive? That game came out for PS3 just a little less than a year after it appeared on the 360, so they probably announced it was coming out sometime between six to nine months after the original release.

#8 Posted by alternate (2694 posts) -

@alternate said:

Was ME2 on 360 ever referred to by Microsoft as a timed exclusive? That game came out for PS3 just a little less than a year after it appeared on the 360, so they probably announced it was coming out sometime between six to nine months after the original release.

I honestly can't remember how they announced it - but it came out almost a year to the day after xbox, which sure looks like a contract term. The fact that they put it out in January for PS3 rather than holiday does not sound like a choice. There was not necessarily any restriction on when they could announce it - just when they could put it out.

#9 Edited by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

Probably a year or so, i don't see it staying exclusive.

I would get it on PC if it's not competitive multiplayer, I still don't feel comfortable with mouse and keyboard and prefer to use a controller to play these types of games. The aiming is great obviously, but i hate using the keyboard to move it feels so clunky to me.

#10 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2666 posts) -

I would say it all depends on the next four months. If the Xbox One keeps getting hammered people at EA and Respawn will ahev to start having sales projection meetings. "Will the Xbox One hit sales projections? Do we think the math will hold up? What is our time line for PS4 (if at all anyway)?"

But that is the issue all publishers will face over the next few months exclusive or not. Projected sales not hitting marks is an issue for publishers, because their investors can get annoyed by software sales projections slumping as a result.

#11 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -
#12 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

I'd say most likely a year (mainly due to porting it to the PS4), but honestly what do I know.

@rebgav said:

I think the bigger question is whether Respawn is bought by EA or another publisher or a platform holder. As I understand it, they own the IP so I assume it goes with them?

Well in order to be bought you have to have willing participants. I don't think Vince Zampella or David West want to be in another Infinity Ward dilemma. They even stated they wanted a deal with Activision that was like Bungie which they have with EA.

#13 Posted by Reisz (1479 posts) -

I'm far less interested in Titanfall now I know MGSV has an online component.

#14 Edited by musclerider (589 posts) -

If you watch the video on Polygon where they talk to the developers they talk a lot about how the game is built specifically around the way that the XONE uses "the cloud" for a lot of the computing in the game. If it were to come to PS4 they might have to make major changes to the way it is built altogether.

#15 Posted by Slag (4225 posts) -

I hope it's timed. I kinda doubt I though.

EA has Origin.That might be enough for them.

#16 Posted by Halfdeaf (70 posts) -

I don't see it being an exclusive forever. The buzz around the game and the pedigree of Respawn(as ex-IW guys) would suggest that it's going to do very well if the Xbone does well. However I doubt that Microsoft has dropped enough dough for them to sign away the potential revenue on the other platform.

The MS cloud is not some mysterious gaming entity that makes all games better. It's simply a way to allow developers easy access to computing and storage capabilities of the existing Microsoft server infrastructure. That is something that can be replicated on other platforms and, unless it will be tied to Games for Windows Live, won't they have to set up their own "cloud" for the PC version.

#17 Posted by PenguinDust (12483 posts) -

It's going to PC which is all that matters to me.

This, and three months after release I can probably get it for half-price.

#18 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Next year. When it sells a boat load, M$ won't be able to pay for the "potential copies sold on PS3&4".

#19 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

I'm pretty much in the camp of by the time that game comes out I'll have a compete PC to run it (although, Origin...hmmm). Although worst comes to worst I could always get it on 360 to see what its about. It's a bit shitty because TitanFall looked awesome, also interested in Below (Capy whatchu doing, son). Also I don't get why Insomniac left Sony to then make a game exclusive for the competing platform (to go on a tangent).

#20 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

A few years down the line after the sequel (or trilogy, ugh), at the soonest, but probably never.

But I'll be playing on PC, which I really hope isn't a gimped version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.